Renown Regional Medical Center

1.9

CEO

CCT

I have been working at Renown Regional Medical Center

Pros

Self scheduling, only work 3 days a week

Cons

Demanding job, high stress too.

No amount of money will ever bring me back to working at this hospital.

Former Employee - Patient Access Representative II, Financial Counselor in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

nice facility with great services

Cons

Bullying and corruptness within management, senior leadership, HR. Money is the root of all evil and it consumes this hospital.

Management and senior leadership. I worked at Renown prior to the name change and during the entire transition from Washoe to Renown, up until 2012. In my role as patient access/financial counseling, my job was to assist those patients who had difficulty paying their bills and helping them find assistance in alleviating that stress. However, after the name change that quickly changed and money became more of a focus. They encouraged us to share our opinions on what could help us as a department to meet our "monthly goal" in collections. Myself as well as a few other employees (who were also long time employees before new management came in) stated that there were situations that weren't exactly compassionate when entering a patients room to collect money for their stay, especially in ICU and areas that patients were on comfort care, etc. Because these managers didn't like those opinions, we were transferred out of a department and a position we had been in for years. For someone like me who once loved her job and looked forward to going to work, the bullying and harassment from asinine racial allegations (of which I'm married to that race I was accused of ) from a disgruntled former coworker, to the eminent bulls eye I placed on my back the moment I stated that it wasn't right for me to go into a room of someone who is dying to get their copay.

You should consider what your pee-ones have to say, they are the backbone of the company and anytime a former employee claims bullying, you should look into it a bit deeper rather than siding with HR and lower management (the ones who are the problem). You'd realize you lost some great, loyal employees who loved their jobs and wanted to make it better.

Politics more important than patient care

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The second floor shops came in handy especially with the ability to charge the purchases

Cons

"It's not what you know; it's who you know." That can be helpful if you are looking for a job; but if you are attempting to hold on to the one you've got and someone would like to put a feather in their harassment cap it can be a horrible place to work. The leadership that existed in 2012 encouraged bullying techniques including abusive behavior. HR in particular aligned with their favorite leaders and allowed intolerable behavior to take place during job reviews. The politics in general allowed things to occur like making the gardens off limits to employees even though it was the employees contributions that brought these gardens into existence.

Appreciate your caregivers. They are the foundation of your organization and Renown is only as good as the care the patients recieve. Everything else is unimportant.

Lacks proper leadership and management

I have been working at Renown Regional Medical Center

Pros

You definitely learn a lot and you can gain a ton of experience. Decent pay for entry level.

Cons

It's hard to move up. There's not much of a career path and when you try to make management aware of your career goals, there's no guidance offered.

Abusive work environment for employee and that translate to a non healing space for patients

I have been working at Renown Regional Medical Center

Pros

The shops at renown and Badge pay is convienent. Also, having the drug store on premesis for employees as well as patients is nice.

Cons

I can only comment on the HR and nursing leadership which is dismall. Micromanagement and not caring for employees makes for an abusive work culture. There are too many great places to work that treat the employee with dignity and respect to stay at this hospital. My advice is don't work here.

Treat employees with dignity and respect.

Leadership problems abundant!

Former Employee - Mid-level Human Resources in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Mid-level Human Resources in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice campus and numerous facilities.

Cons

Actual treatment of employees does not support Renown's stated vision, mission, and especially values. Many senior managers achieve their positions without any prior management experience or education, which negatively affects their subordinates' performance and job satisfaction. Many mid-to-upper level management hires are made without applicants meeting the minimum requirements for their jobs. Executives look out for each others' career advancement rather than focusing on patient care, problem solving, and employee retention; Toxic management culture exists in Operations, HR, Finance, Admin, Nursing. Bullying runs rampant in the HR and Finance Departments due to poor executive oversight and metrics, and permeates the organization like a disease.

Executive staff needs to be more visible to employees by getting out of their remote offices weekly and walking the floors, greeting employees, and listening to front-line managers, supervisors,and patients. Employee satisfaction surveys shouldn't come only from overused Gallup surveys. "Leadership" is a term that can only be bestowed by subordinates upon management who display leadership. Executive staff merely calling themselves "Leadership" doesn't make them leaders. Replace the current heads of Operations, Finance, HR, Admin, and Nursing with leaders that don't accept bullying, develop their subordinates, and lead by example.

Not a great experience

Current Employee - Staff RN in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Okay work experience for a new grad.

Cons

No support from management or most coworkers.
    Management has no regard/ appreciation for its employees.
    The atmosphere is tense and negative

Retire and get new, caring, positive people working there

Nursing Supervisor

Former Employee - Nursing Supervisor in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Nursing Supervisor in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The nursing staff was truly a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Management is absolutely abysmal. 27 year old as Nurse managers and a 30 year old as a director. They regularly go over the patient to staff matrix and communication is non-existent

They need a complete reboot, the Supervisors and Managers don't even know there own policies and procedures.

Terrible Company

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and a fair wage

Cons

Horrible corporate culture. Terrible upper management who care nothing for patients and only for money.

Loved the organization... Discouraged by the pay

Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Certified Nursing Assistant in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Regional Medical Center full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was really impressed with the new employee on boarding process. They are very welcoming and have well executed employee training process. My co-workers were fantastic to work with.

Cons

The pay was not commensurate with the patient load. The excessive patient load did not allow me to provide the level of care I would have preferred to.