Rent-A-Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis

Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 40 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights
11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A place where you can learn many things on the job

Store Manager (Former Employee) Aurora, IL

ProsGood communication from corporate down to stores.
    Good benefits as far as health, 401k, employee discounts.
    Overtime pay is included for the 8-10 hours of overtime that you need to work.

Cons48-50 hours for hourly wage employees are non negotiable.
    Salary employees are told they get to work 40 hours, it actually becomes 50-60.
    High turnover rate with upper management, In the four years I was there I went through 5 different district managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow stability with management, its hard to focus behind a Regional Managers or District Manager's vision if they aren't going to be around for long.

You do too much for too little pay and the task pile up quarterly.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgreat pay, cool environment, good amount of vacation, automatic overtime

Conslong hours, unattainable goals, false promises,

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your acts together and realize the RTO (rent to own) market has plateau and will not rise higher then it is now.

Your Life is In their Hands

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood Pay. That's Pretty Much it. Oh Nice Health Benefits.

ConsNO HOME LIFE. You will never see your family, children, friends. Hours are too long. Then they take this huge trip every year for Top Sale Mangers and District Mangers. My thing is, the trip is based on how we perform. Half of those Mangers and Especially those District Mangers aren't deserving of the trip because it was the Assistant Mangers and Customer Service Reps that got them that trip in the first place. What the Assistant Managers get? Nothing, has to fill in for the days the Mangers go on trip!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf an customer calls with an complaint don't take their side cause 90% of the customers have bad pay history. Reiterate to them on time Payments!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work.

Customer Account Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWorking here was great, people on this website like to whine about 48-55 hours a week but they pay you time and a half for anything over 40 hours, do you people not like money? With the way the economy is I took the job and worked my butt off and smiled. They could definitely afford to pay more but that will be discussed in the Cons section.

This job is like any other, if you have good leadership your time at RaC will be great, if you have bad leadership your time will suck. The one thing I did notice is that ALL managers who give a crap did take everything any employee suggested and really tried to work it out with the higher ups, they do listen and they do try to help all employees.

I left this job, but only because a better paying one was available.

ConsThere aren't too many Cons to this job (if you are a hard worker and not a whiny crybaby). The one thing that sucks is trying to collect money from people who are broke, if they have no money for rent, their 55" plasma tv bill is the least of their worries. Also chasing after skips/stolen accounts is a hassle but you get paid for it so it's whatever. Honestly for the work you do and for how profitable this company is, they could easily bump your pay about 3-4$ an hour and still make billions.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so cheap, pay your employees a batter wage, you can afford it you greedy scumbags.

hazardous work environment

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) McHenry, IL

Prosnever short of hours per week

Conspower hungry district manager who plays favorites and verbally threats and harasses employees

Advice to Senior Managementfire district manager m0092 cornell perry

Good place but

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cicero, IL

ProsA lot of opportunities for moving up in the company, compensation at entry level is better than other industries in the same category.

ConsYour job is always on the line, No time off, Managers are forced to work on days off, your week is normally a 60-70 hours work week, Pressure from the top down is incredibly high

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys have employees not slaves. Salary does not mean 70 hours work week

Great pay, horrid hours and work conditions.

CAR (Current Employee) Hazel Crest, IL

ProsPaid weekly and Benefits, building relationships with the customers.

ConsWhen you first begin your training session at RAC, almost every page says "Welcome to your Life", and "Welcome to your NEW career". Unfortunately, these arent just catchy tag lines, they are Dead Serious. Personal life is NON EXISTENT. There is absolutely NO understanding when it comes to balancing work and home life. Just the simple request for time off on a MANDATORY Saturday is alone grounds for termination if consistant enough. Not ACTUALLY missing a saturday, but just REQUESTING one off.

I am very quick when learning new computer systems, as well as being proficient in Customer Service, as well as telemarketing. But a RAC, that dosnt matter. No one in management ever gives any kind of positive feedback even when credit is due, you often will only hear what you DIDNT do. Not to mention that code of phone ethics are CONSTANTLY being broken. Calling Customers 5 to 6 times a day, within only a couple of hours gets very old.

Oh, and the manuel labor. Everything from being asked to move hundreds of pounds alone, to "Running" to knock on peoples doors at 8 oclock in the morning to make payments.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communicaton, Understanding with employees, Less Hours. Why not hire more, and do shifts? Or Rotate weekends, and just give employees a 40 hour work week.

some of the worst human beings I've ever worked for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Niles, IL

Prosdecent pay, tolerable job if you have a good boss who leaves you alone
    bonuses could be good til they changed the program, it's more difficult now

Consdealing with the worst people-customers, co-worker and certainly bosses
    no life-50-70 hours and paid for 40 and no appreciation for it
    starting rate is $10.85 for staff so its very difficult to get good people for what they do(collections, repos, move furniture/appliances, sales and telemarketing to the same people they just did a collection call on)

Advice to Senior Managementget a new business model that is more customer friendly and a better marketing plan for the local store level and that the politics out of promotions and performance evaluation.

Try Aarons, they are cheaper at least

mixed emotions

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosgood entry level salary
    good benefits
    promotes within
    unlimited growing potential

ConsExtremely long hours
    Not balance between family/work time
    your vacation time is up to the management not up to you
    you might come to work if you're sick dying or very ill
    Everyone under a lot of pressure all day every day

Advice to Senior Managementthink about your employees, if they're happy and satisfied, everyone will be able to perform better.
    not saying to give everything up to your employees, but think that a happy work environment will give you a better performance, stop asking for impossible when they are impossibles, and focus on how to solve the problems instead of blaming others, it can be a great place to work but sometimes I feel like mgt don't care about employees

Not a professional experience

Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWorking with great people every day ,the customers

ConsIf your not a person who parties with your co-workers ,then you will have a problem

Advice to Senior ManagementStop stealing from the company

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!