Rent-A-Center Reviews

Reset
1.9
Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • good pay employee discounts good benefits (in 45 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 39 reviews)

• Company required many long hours (in 92 reviews)

Time managment is key

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Atmosphere to work in. Have a lot of hands on experience working 1 on 1 with customers. Direct and indirect sales. Looks great On Resume

Cons

Long Hours, expect to work every Saturday.

Advice to Management

Become more involved. Give your employers the opportunity to be seen and heard. Give your employee's a change of pace give them a weekend off, rotating weekends would be nice.

2. Stay FAR, FAR away.

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well....benefits are just OK. It is stable, as they will verbally assault you all day long and expect you to work 6 days a week, 10 hours a day or longer. They will scream at you for not making enough sales, then when you do, and you have to, make bad sales, they will scream at you for poor credit and making bad sales. You can't win with these scumbags. Now, just FIVE weeks from the 4th of July....they are informing us WE have to work that day. You cannot have a life working for this terrible, shameless company. You will go into the dirtiest and scummiest homes. You will deal with low-lifes who are poor because of their poor decisions--like renting at RAC! I am extremely embarrassed to work there and am looking for something, ANYTHING else. And these ARE the positive things.....From one human being to another.....DON'T work for these blood sucking animals.

Cons

I could go on, and on. Haven't you heard enough?

Advice to Management

FOAD. You are worthless. Shame on you. Does your mother know what you really do at RAC. She would be shamed.

3. It's a Job....

Current Employee - Employee in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - Employee in Hammond, IN

Pros

You can make a reasonable amount of money to get on your feet if your not already. Some customers and coworkers are very delightful... The ONLY valuable pros which kept me there over 5 years.

Cons

The challenges which exists shouldn't be challenges at all, but unfortunately the company does not focus on lower management enough to cease most demoralizing behaviors within the regions/districts of stores. The challenges which exists seem without defeat. Kinda like not going home until 10PM in a snowstorm because a salaried manager who 'was off' that day couldn't assist a coworker with the towing of a company van which had been towed on a delivery made over 10 miles from the store location... This is one challenge an employee should not have deal with. Especially while it was only one employee in the store... Not to mention, it takes a lot of time to set up cell phone service for some customers. I don't work for Net10, not getting paid extra anything from Net10, so I feel used up when I spend lots of time on activating service for a company I DON'T work for. I work for RAC, and getting paid from RAC, not Net10. This is why I'm leaving... In a nutshell. I'd rather work for a company which pays you for the work that you do, and after 5+ years, I've stalemated, and still in the SAME position doing managerial duties. I've coulda done so much more. If you do chose to work here, don't let time pass you by before realizing you could've done so much more even with less pay.

Advice to Management

Upper management is the problem, and it's best to listen to VALUABLE employees about the work conditions and behaviors of the co-workers who feel coerced not to go straight to HR. This company loses a lot of VALUABLE employees and seem to keep the ones only wanting to get a check. Stop letting managers push work on employees who actually give a care so they won't feel burned out as I am beginning to feel. If so, then pay us more. I would've liked to stay at this company if advancement was actually in fruition, but if a manager needs you, they need you. No matter how long, you'll stay an assistant manager to the needy manager forever.

This company expects you to do it all but does pay you any where near what they should be paying.

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

Promotion are easy to get as everyone burns out and either quits or gets fired very fast at this job.

Cons

Way way underpaid considering how much and how hard you have to work. They are always pushing you harder and harder. If there has ever been a company that neededa union this is it.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and give them better pay and benefits for the hard work they do. Or sit back and watch as a union comes in to repesent them.

6. An OK experience the 2nd time there

Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Electronic Technician in Chicago, IL

Pros

When they had the accounts, times were good. Some OT but not excessive. A fairly relaxed atmosphere. Limited opportunities for advancement or growth. Compensation was OK. Health Insurance became expensive.

Cons

Upper level management in service failed to acquire new service accounts from outside vendors. They ran off the new accounts they got in 2006 by raising their rates too high. Service techs bore the brunt of the work slow downs. Too many of us wound up using our paid time off to make up for days with no work. This company operates their service like this. Slightly over staffed and you wind up with a part time job when you start to add up the hours and your pay at the end of the year.

Advice to Management

Your failures to grow the business resulted in a lot of heart ache for technicians.

Customer Account Manager

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Chicago Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Chicago Heights, IL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked working with customers I liked providing good customer service I liked selling products I liked helping people in need Decent pay

Cons

Having to do office work and make deliveries Having to repo merchandise Constant collections calls and harassment Overtime is not an option. Not much schedule flexibility

Advice to Management

Create a positive team environment. Do role playing to motivate sales. Discuss sales strategies. Promote team dynamics. Create positive work environment with less negativity. Hire people to specifically do deliveries and repos so office staff can focus on customer service and sales. Less long 12 hour days of work. More sick time and vacation days. Promote continuing education. Create part time opportunities.

8. You do too much for too little pay and the task pile up quarterly.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great pay, cool environment, good amount of vacation, automatic overtime

Cons

long hours, unattainable goals, false promises,

Advice to Management

Get your acts together and realize the RTO (rent to own) market has plateau and will not rise higher then it is now.

A place where you can learn many things on the job

Former Employee - Store Manager in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Aurora, IL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good communication from corporate down to stores. Good benefits as far as health, 401k, employee discounts. Overtime pay is included for the 8-10 hours of overtime that you need to work.

Cons

48-50 hours for hourly wage employees are non negotiable. Salary employees are told they get to work 40 hours, it actually becomes 50-60. High turnover rate with upper management, In the four years I was there I went through 5 different district managers.

Advice to Management

Show stability with management, its hard to focus behind a Regional Managers or District Manager's vision if they aren't going to be around for long.

10. Your Life is In their Hands

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. That's Pretty Much it. Oh Nice Health Benefits.

Cons

NO HOME LIFE. You will never see your family, children, friends. Hours are too long. Then they take this huge trip every year for Top Sale Mangers and District Mangers. My thing is, the trip is based on how we perform. Half of those Mangers and Especially those District Mangers aren't deserving of the trip because it was the Assistant Mangers and Customer Service Reps that got them that trip in the first place. What the Assistant Managers get? Nothing, has to fill in for the days the Mangers go on trip!

Advice to Management

If an customer calls with an complaint don't take their side cause 90% of the customers have bad pay history. Reiterate to them on time Payments!!!

Good place to work.

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working here was great, people on this website like to whine about 48-55 hours a week but they pay you time and a half for anything over 40 hours, do you people not like money? With the way the economy is I took the job and worked my butt off and smiled. They could definitely afford to pay more but that will be discussed in the Cons section. This job is like any other, if you have good leadership your time at RaC will be great, if you have bad leadership your time will suck. The one thing I did notice is that ALL managers who give a crap did take everything any employee suggested and really tried to work it out with the higher ups, they do listen and they do try to help all employees. I left this job, but only because a better paying one was available.

Cons

There aren't too many Cons to this job (if you are a hard worker and not a whiny crybaby). The one thing that sucks is trying to collect money from people who are broke, if they have no money for rent, their 55" plasma tv bill is the least of their worries. Also chasing after skips/stolen accounts is a hassle but you get paid for it so it's whatever. Honestly for the work you do and for how profitable this company is, they could easily bump your pay about 3-4$ an hour and still make billions.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cheap, pay your employees a batter wage, you can afford it you greedy scumbags.

RSS Feed </> Embed