Rent-A-Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis

Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job(in 40 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule(in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal(in 81 reviews)

Back breaking work...looooooooooooooooooooong hours, mean spirited management

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWeekly paycheck. Decent benefits.

ConsDM is always threatening with your job, telling you how terribly you do most of the time. If you have a family, don't work here...you will work 50 + hours weekly for PEANUTS. Upper Management is always on you for MORE sales, which encourages fraud...and trust me, it happens. When will these knuckleheads learn that productivity falls 50% after working 8 hours in a day, and after 40 hours a week...It is basic business 101 folks...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop over-working everyone. It is counter productive. These are human beings working for you, with families and lives....or would have if not for the ridiculous hours for unlivable wages.

Quality of life is a joke...

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Charleston, WV

ProsPaid Weekly
    Paid around $380 a week starting out as a car, then you move up to around $420 as an assistant.

ConsWork 48-50 hours a week.
    When you aren't working you're sleeping.
    Job is on the line every day.

Advice to Senior Management10.00 jump to 10.50 when you get Assistant...really?
    Pay your CARs $13 an hour and your assistants $15 at 40 hours a week if you really want to improve someones quality of life.

Not Satisfied

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proslong hours, decent pay, unreasonable expectations, overcharging customers for items they cant afford then harassing them to pay.

ConsMiddle management is unreasonable about attaining goals

Advice to Senior Managementupper management should be sure that middle management complies with customer relation standards

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Store level jobs needs help!!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou get paid every week with no issues. 2 weeks vacation after one year. 3 after 5 years and 4 after ten years. You can be promoted

ConsMany customers will break your heart by their living conditions. You will get lied to, lied about and you will deal with some of the nastiest people around. Too many hours. Too much pressure to deliver with no support from home office. Prices get higher and higher to the point where it's embarrassing to try and make a sale.

Advice to Senior ManagementFirst and foremost support your ideas with advertising. Don't rely on telemarketing the same customers every week. Give stores some heads up and not send pop the day you want them up. I'm amazed that this is a 3 billion dollar company. My main example of no support from corporate is the introductions of cell phones. With no advertisement whatsoever they are expecting at least 50 pre sales of phones even before they gave us a real price point or term. Our district manager has called 5 times today (it's 4:21) asking how many we have gotten. It started two days ago. The divisional VP had in his email about the mobile revolution if you can't presell 50 phones you can't sell. This is what rent a center calls encouragement. Then there is this Black Friday in July promo. In typical rent a center fashion no advertisement just make sales calls. To the same 300 people we call every week. The focus is on customer growth yet do they help in getting our brand out? Not really. What the corporate needs to research is not that day due calls needs to be stopped because we want to focus on Saturday sales but help bring in new customers. Make a big huge deal advertising our cell phones. Make a cell phone revolution big push. Not expect stores you ask not to think just follow the program. The half off sale was actually one that had interest why because the prices were actually something to get excited about. Not taking 3 bucks off a week on a tv. Bring back package savings for example a tv and bedroom. Make the 90 day back at the 50% difference so that is more possible to pay out. I know in the time that the 90 day has changed my store has lost customers. Yes we did not make as much profit on them as we do with term payouts but it did create more customers and did gain profit. Robert Davis talks about making our customers lives better. How are we doing that when we telemarket them every week? Our customers complain we call them too much so they stop day due calls. But what do we do we telemarket them. I'm sure this will never get past glassdoor and I doubt it will ever get read. I know this company can do something great if they look at themselves and figure out a way they can help their stores not have DVP RD and DM bully them into fake deliveries fake pre sales numbers. That's the pressure they put on their people. To be honest all it sounds like is credit managers threatening payment or picking up merchandise. How is that bringing honor to the team? How can they expect stores to succeed without removing obstacles? How can we act with a servants heart when our own home office does not trust each store level staff? Maybe give one co worker one Saturday off every quarter? Our core values include "listen,everyone matters". Listen to your stores. Help them. Don't blame them for slow sales. Don't expect them to execute without help from them. Not an email or conference call that does not really help explain the plan. Mostly don't make reactionary decisions and expect it to succeed. Help improve the quality of life for the store level co workers

5 year co worker

Great job, if you have no life and love stressful environments!

Store Manager (Former Employee) Waldorf, MD

ProsI worked at there for 4 years until I was a store manager and decided to pursue another opportunity. They have great starting salaries, fast advancement and offer great employee purchasing benefit packages!( as long as your not really hurt)

ConsThey will work you to death! Most employee work 50 hours a week which includes HEAVY lifting, making multiple borderline harassing phone calls, unsafe debt collecting tactic where you have to go to customers homes/jobs in hopes of getting a payment or picking up merchandise and the constant threat of job loss if certain goals are not met. This type of work is not for everybody and if you show any type of weakness you will be replaced. And NEVER request a day off because it's like pulling teeth!

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees and they will stick around longer! Some of the goals are unrealistic depending on the location of the store. Every store shouldn't have the same growth or collection plans. And stop leaving it up to the district managers to close a store due to weather because some of them will have employees skiing to work in a blizzard (if it's bad weather no one should have to rid there life to open a retail store)

No work/Life Balance.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPay, Benefits, Sundays off, Co-workers

ConsNever have a social life, your job is threatened every week,, managers get bonuses off of your hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow your employees time with their families 50-51 hours a week is exhausting.

Long, long hours; mediocre pay

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsOpportunities to advance, if your a people person, this is a good job

ConsLong hours, so-so training, this job does take a lot of your time

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to properly train your employees, and training in conflict resolution would be an additional bonus

I love the job, but I hate the long, nonsensical hours!!!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Albany, GA

ProsWell, plenty of room for advancement. Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience. And, the work is paced to where the days kinda zoom by as you are always busy.

ConsThe mission statement addresses ''Work-Life Balance" in its mission statement, however, it seems to be blind as to what that even is. YOU WILL HAVE NO SOCIAL LIFE AT ALL!!! Unless, of course, you live right next door... As a family man, the long hours are extremely difficult to deal with. Also, the mission is to improve the quality of life for our customers AND our coworkers. As a Coworker, the ONLY way your life is improved is if you didn't have a job before hand!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease change the hours. We don't mind working on Saturdays, but NOT every single damn one!!! And the hours could be more along the line of 10-6 Monday thru Friday with a large enough staff to rotate Saturdays. Look, I know the company isn't going anywhere, but stop giving lip-service to your serving culture and work-life balance if your not going to stick to it.

Physical labor, multiplied by a thousand.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits (until you really need to use the insurance)

ConsToo many personal conflicts within the company.

Challenging but could destroy your faith in mankind....

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent, they do have insurance and they do promote from within.

Consno work/ life balance, corporate direction does not fall in line with the SOP's, you just have to make a decision and hope it doesn't get you written up or fired. The collections aspect of the job ties your hands up till you have only the option of suing your customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't punish your managers for doing things they way the company told them to do it. If you can't write a clear SOP then have someone who knows how write them.

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!