Rent-A-Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis

Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job(in 40 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule(in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal(in 80 reviews)

Worst company ever

Store Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCould buy depriciated merchandise pretty cheap.

ConsLong hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal. Unrealitic expectations. You have to have no heart and../ ormorales to work there. Upper management has old time Texas attitude toward it's employees. No respect at all. Many hours, 6 day work weeks. Chasing shady people in projects out of their money or taking their stuff back.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts a wonder you can all sleep at night.

Assistant Manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGain sales and customer service experience

Cons-long hours (11 hours shifts each day)
    -short pay
    "corporate repo man"

Advice to Senior Managementnone

No family time.

Credit Manager (Current Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsYou have the ability to move up quickly. You also get paid weekly, which is almost unheard of now.

Consfast advancement happens because no one sticks around. Expensive benefits, no work life balance, high risk business so constant changes on store managers and employees alike.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe people doing the work know the most about it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lead assistant manager

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsA pay check on Fridays it's pretty much what keeps me there.

ConsThis company has no regards for its employees.
    You are just a number, if you get hurt or have a medical problem they show you the front door.
    After many years working understaffed, putting 50 + hours and doing the managers tasks( not getting paid for it), I was told that if I needed time off to take care of myself I had to start looking for a new job. Nice!
    The worst place I have ever worked at. District manager used to think he was our owner.
    You know when your shift starts but have no idea if you have to stay late for an amazing telemarketing night until 8-8:30 pm.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your asset(people) with respect and in turn they will take better care of your business, take pride in their job!

Rent-a-Center: Good Pay - High Stress - Terrible Upper Management

Disrict Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsDecent pay, insurance, and 401K.

ConsLong hours, no quality of life, high stress, they treat customers poorly, upper management is out of touch.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example. When you have a bold mission statement like, "TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF LIFE FOR OUR COWORKERS AND OUR CUSTOMERS," but 7 out of 10 of both customers and coworkers are unhappy, you're out of touch with reality. Upper management and HR are micro-managers who have no idea what the daily operations in a store/center or credit/collections are actually like. Perhaps they need to leave their offices and spend a few days a month in stores listening to customers, making collection calls, and hearing what those coworkers truly have to say. A big dose of Undercover Boss might do this company some serious good. I realized after only a month that this company is all talk. They have great values on paper, but the actual implementation of such values are few and far in between. It is a very high stress level job, with a very poor quality of life, if you actually do your job. I noticed the most respected employees of this company came in late, left early, and left numerous things unattended to. They knew how to "work within the system." I most found employment with this company being like a politician; a lot of company promises, un-kept promises, a lot fo talk about how to do things, but no one actually implemented those discussions. Overall, the WORST experience I have ever had with an employer in my life. McDonald's as a teen was better!

This place is in turmoil after CEO change.

Regional Construction Manager (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGood people doing the work.

ConsCompany is digressing due to poor upper Management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire qualified people in management roles.

No work/life balance

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Wichita, KS

ProsEasy to move up into management. You get paid weekly and there is a good employee purchase program

ConsThere is no work/life balance they expect you to work 50 hours week 9-8 and have to work every saturday. You have to work over time to get a decent check and the managers rarely care about your personal life and only care about hitting company standards but they will not help achieve those goals.

challenging and rewarding

District Manager (Former Employee) Wilson, NC

ProsGreat pay, fast paced, fun, challenging and not boring at all....

Conslong hours, office politics, collections get high and you are on the chopping block if you don't dot your I's and cross your T's, too many things to keep up with. You have to just pick 5 things to be great at and the rest has to go under good and acceptable. This job has a habit of making you look like a monkey all the time if you don't hammer down on your people and they do like that at RAC.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline job descriptions... try to loosen up and listen to your leaders i.e. store managers and District managers. Do not expect everyone to do everything because it's impossible for the human being to do it all. I did 90% of what I had to and the average DM only did 60%. My stuff was rockin but I had no life. The store managers are in the same boat. They are overworked and grossly underpaid for all their grief.

The work is hard for ok pay.

ProsThere is guaranteed overtime plus benefits. There is a variety of customers and keeps the job exciting. What you learn here will create an experience and a type of responsibility that is unique.

ConsSome accounts and customers are hard to deal with. The amount of stress on the job is moderate as you are rushed, some customers are highly vulgar and rude or even straight out disrespectful and you are to expected to allow them to speak to you in such a manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale is low as to customer service is more important than how the worker is treated. I have received threats, verbally abused on occasion, and pressured to do things I am not comfortable with.

Hard Work

ProsAutomatic 48hrs a week, decent pay

ConsYou work your butt with very little social life

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!