Rent-A-Center

Updated October 17, 2014
2.5

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 42 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 37 reviews)

• Very long hours(10-12 a day) - and it only gets worse as you move up the ladder (in 88 reviews)

More Highlights

Assistant Store Manager of Sales

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There seems to be opportunity for growth, you are given a fair chance to prove your worth and it is refreshing.

Cons

In my district, or has become apparent that the need for qualified individuals to operate the business is lacking. In lieu of such case, anyone with an above average ability to sell becomes a store manager, leaving the company at a disadvantage for significant growth and well management.

To my district manager: please acknowledge that there are better qualified individuals to run and operate a facility and understand top say "no" to individuals who are exceptional sales men but lack the knowledge to run a store.

Current rehire from RTO to AcceptanceNow

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, excellent benefits, you can move up fast, you learn great leadership skills it will take u far, you can become a manager quick just apply yourself.

Cons

LONG hours, calling customers all day and not getting them to come in can be exhausting, trying to sell a program to people who are already struggling for each penny they make,

Have more tangible ways to express great job to your employees ie= meals for staff, fun day off, etc.. and not just for the ones who excel in credit and sales, there are plenty of great employees who never get acknowledged who might not make goal monthly but got a payment/ merchandize from the hardest customer.

Store manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sundays off, weekly pay, great employee purchase program.

Cons

hours, under paid, work 6 days a week if you are short staffed no questioned asked. The employees you manage make more Money then you do.

pay your store managers more money for all the crap they do. Put a program in place for rotating weekends off. A employee program to help out with there needs and if they have a tragedy in there family the company helps out.

Has its highs and lows

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good overall work environment. Lots of different task that need to be performed so it keeps things fresh.

Cons

Long hours, pay wasn't up to par. Can be very long and physically strenuous hours. Workload can be overwhelming

It can be very stressful, a good team is a must. You need a clear daily goal and plan, don't overwork your employees they can be your saving grace.

Great benefits, they promote from with in. Competitive sales.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bolivar, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bolivar, TN

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are Excellent. They train you and promote from with in. If you like sales, this is a great place to work because RAC is sales driven and all about the numbers. You really get to know your customers. If you are a people person this is good.

Cons

Off days are never together. They are always closed sundays. And the other off day is Tues, Wedns, or Thurs. To force sales, corporate sends out emails district wide with numbers and taunting or ridiculing poor sales performance. Collections can be stressful. Every Thursday is cold calls to generate sales from previous customers or references.

Try positive tactics to encourage associates to meet or exceed sales goals instead.

It was a very demanding job. It gave me challenges which I love.

Former Employee - Assistant Credit Manager in Morristown, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Credit Manager in Morristown, TN

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It gave me challenges. It was fast pace for the most part. Everyday there was things that was the same yet different. I enjoyed the physical labor and the clerical demands. My co-workers were wonderful. The management was understanding when it came to family matters.

Cons

Sometimes upper management didn't value anything it was always about numbers more than what you had accomplished.

Promote more and value your employees.

Improving the quality of life of our co-workers is a joke

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have the potential to make good money but only if you are in the right location.

Cons

As a male you will be expected to do everything, & get little to no appreciation for it. You deal with the most uungrateful and disgusting people in America.

Actually create a better work life balance for your employees

Fast-paced, hard work, no incentives

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Covington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Covington, VA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Customer service, sales, team work, billing, marketing, account managing, and all of which had potential to be enjoyable. There were many good days where all required work was complete and management was pleased.

Cons

I often felt that the products were a total rip-off price and it's hard to promote and sell something you know you wouldn't be able to sell yourself on. Also, the amount of hours demanded to work (9 - 7, close to 50 hour work weeks. Sometimes more, if staff got low or numbers were bad.) I do not advice this job if you have a family or children that may need you in the evening or on weekends. I never felt that the other employees were happy or respectful of each other. I often said "we spend more time together than we do with our own families, working our butts off with no incentives, so respecting each other is awfully important! Without it, I'd rather not be here." I'm sure that's not the case everywhere but for whatever different reasons it was in our division. Not only within our store but the others near by that we also worked closely with.

Not a place I would recommend

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

You do meet a lot of people
    You do have the potential to make a bonus,
    (But don't depend on it.. if you have a slow store, charge off's/delinquent payers, all of these things will affect your getting that bonus.)

Cons

Slow sales, ineffective and VERY slow support from the collection team for delinquent payments, 1st payment defaults, pick ups, EXTREMELY HIGH &FAST EMPLOYEE TURNOVERS, deliberate flouting of religious beliefs/freedom (won't give you days off for church) DM'S don't complete the 32+files/calls as per SOP, THEY EXPECT YOU TO DO THEIR WORK FOR THEM.

Rotate Sunday AND Monday off...
    live UP to company motto of improving life for employees as well as customer. Otherwise. .
    you just sound pompous and insincere.

ALOT OF WORK AND LONG HOURS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get great pay and big bonuses.

Cons

You do a lot of work and sometimes other people work. They are all about your numbers. It sucks because you have a sorry sales manager making your schedule, and while they leave early everyday your doing all the work. if your have a organized fair sales manager then it will be okay but this job is stressful your away from your family all the time.

Sales managers should only be allowed to make fair schedules. They should also listen to employees concerns a lot more. If you take care of your employees they will take care of you.

Rent-A-Center Photos