Rent-A-Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis

Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job(in 40 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule(in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal(in 80 reviews)

Fun progressing company growing from mid-size to large

Director IT (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsWork Life Balance, Commitment to core company values of respect and servant leadership, opportunity to learn new technologies. Constantly seeking new lines of business to grow.

ConsRelies too much on People, not enough on Process & Technology to accomplish goals. Growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementExciting times...lead us to success!

Overworked, underpaid managers, poor treatment of employees and customers...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFor individuals without a college education, the pay is pretty fair, until one enters management.

ConsManagers are underpaid, responsibilities are often over-exaggerated and unreasonable. Where I was employed, treatment from one person to the next varied by how much you "fit in with the boss". Shifts are usually 10+ hrs a day, and often merchandise deliveries run over; keeping the manager and the employee even longer at work.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest into your management team! Most of the managers are employees that took customer applications and "rolled the deal",,, thus had a lot of sales.... big deal, as most are garbage on the books, but looks like a lot of activity from the employee. They (managers) have no formal training on how to talk to employees or customers, the have no experience with labor laws, human resources and most of the time little to no experience on RAC paperwork, processes, systems.... etc. Management training classes can be broken into separate classes... keeping some in the store while others are learning. Invest some of your 4 billion in sales...

Great experience with lots of advancement.

District Manager (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsTraining program good and competitive salary.

ConsTerrible work schedule with days off if any staggered, and no work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to have more work life balance that you preach it seems the only employees with work life balance are regional directors and above.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work environment and direct supervisors are awesome. All full time positions with insurance and employer matched 401k.

ConsLong work hours, at least 50 hours per week from 8:30AM to 8:00PM.

RAC

Tech (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosstable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job

Conseveryone wants more money ,need better race

Enjoyable, but.......

N/A (Current Employee)

ProsWeekly paychecks, fast paced environment, always something to do, can be rewarding, easily fulfilled career, not much to get in.

ConsSome of the customers that we cater to, employee mentality, bad surprises, easy to get wrapped up into something else, time away from family, very time consuming, working sun up to sundown.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff and work less hours.

It's awesome, because we get Sundays off.

Customer Account Representative (Current Employee) Fall River, MA

ProsStarting pay is decent for entry level. You also get a free gym membership at no extra cost, which includes such things as lifting 200 lb dressers up to fourth floors. Benefits, too, like health and dental. Also, if you hate your family and friends it's a good excuse to never see them again. You'll also have the satisfaction of knowing your earning the people above you lovely cruise trips.

SUNDAYS OFF!! :D

ConsI'm often left wondering why they don't give us more responsibilities that directly contradict one another. Harassing the same people for payments whom I befriended a week ago in order to convince them to buy a used mattress is fine, but could I also then telemarket them a day later asking if they want more stuff? Also, I feel that corporate is too easy on us. We didn't even turn the profit they wanted last year, that deserves a cut in pay all across the board. I mean c'mon. I also once owned a turtle and after ignoring him for a week straight while I worked, he was still alive. More hours would solve this, because I hate that turtle.

Advice to Senior ManagementBesides what I've covered above, I think there needs to be less communication from corporate, to managers, to employees. Sometimes my directions are too clear. Leave something to the imagination! If you're employees seem tired or unhappy, that's clearly their fault, regardless of how long they've been with the company. Actually, get rid of those guys. Also, if you aren't turning the profit you want, I feel this means the employees aren't doing their job right. Perhaps threatening their jobs daily and carrying items like cell phones would solve that, because those sell themselves, even without advertising and a sales plan.

There needs to be more telemarketing, too. The customers may say they hate it, but what do they know? Not enough to come in and get a phone at the sweet bargain of 1,000$, that's for darn tootin'!

Not living their corporate mission

District Manager (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

Proschance for promotion and raises high.

Conshigh stress. high employee turnover.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider seeking advice from your field personnel.

Very poor management

Computer Support (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsWorked on a lot of new technology and hardware

ConsReally bad management. Would not listen to SMEs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you hire someone that is at the top of their field it might behoove you to listen to what they have to say.

stay away..........

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Portland, ME

Prosneed a job, interacting with customers fun

Conshours, late nites ,dying business

Advice to Senior Managementpaying assistant managers much better

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!