Rent-A-Center Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
2.5

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 43 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 37 reviews)

• Very long hours(10-12 a day) - and it only gets worse as you move up the ladder (in 88 reviews)

More Highlights

Retail

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Rent-A-Center

Pros

A lot to learn. Great for retail and sales. Room to move up.

Cons

Work hours. Weekends. Stressful at times

Sales Driven

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bonus is pretty good and they offer a 401K

Cons

No work life balance. Store Managers barely get to take their scheduled days off and if you do take your day off the District Manager will call you back in even if you are on paid leave (vacation) lots of false promises and no recognition programs in place. Very hard to move up past store manager and high turn around due to long hours and high sale goals.

There needs to be better recognition programs in place. Upper management needs to start being proactive instead of reactive that would help the constant turn around at the store levels. Too much is expected from store team members with little support from district managers they need to start listening better to their store managers they are the face of the company and should be treated with better respect.

Customer Account Representative

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great hours, diversified working field

Cons

The collection side of the job

Assistant Store Manager of Sales

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There seems to be opportunity for growth, you are given a fair chance to prove your worth and it is refreshing.

Cons

In my district, or has become apparent that the need for qualified individuals to operate the business is lacking. In lieu of such case, anyone with an above average ability to sell becomes a store manager, leaving the company at a disadvantage for significant growth and well management.

To my district manager: please acknowledge that there are better qualified individuals to run and operate a facility and understand top say "no" to individuals who are exceptional sales men but lack the knowledge to run a store.

Current rehire from RTO to AcceptanceNow

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, excellent benefits, you can move up fast, you learn great leadership skills it will take u far, you can become a manager quick just apply yourself.

Cons

LONG hours, calling customers all day and not getting them to come in can be exhausting, trying to sell a program to people who are already struggling for each penny they make,

Have more tangible ways to express great job to your employees ie= meals for staff, fun day off, etc.. and not just for the ones who excel in credit and sales, there are plenty of great employees who never get acknowledged who might not make goal monthly but got a payment/ merchandize from the hardest customer.

Store manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sundays off, weekly pay, great employee purchase program.

Cons

hours, under paid, work 6 days a week if you are short staffed no questioned asked. The employees you manage make more Money then you do.

pay your store managers more money for all the crap they do. Put a program in place for rotating weekends off. A employee program to help out with there needs and if they have a tragedy in there family the company helps out.

Has its highs and lows

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good overall work environment. Lots of different task that need to be performed so it keeps things fresh.

Cons

Long hours, pay wasn't up to par. Can be very long and physically strenuous hours. Workload can be overwhelming

It can be very stressful, a good team is a must. You need a clear daily goal and plan, don't overwork your employees they can be your saving grace.

its ok

I worked at Rent-A-Center

Pros

good pay employee discounts good benefits

Cons

lifting stoves and and sofas when your a girl

lighter loads for women

Fast-paced, hard work, no incentives

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Covington, VA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Covington, VA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Customer service, sales, team work, billing, marketing, account managing, and all of which had potential to be enjoyable. There were many good days where all required work was complete and management was pleased.

Cons

I often felt that the products were a total rip-off price and it's hard to promote and sell something you know you wouldn't be able to sell yourself on. Also, the amount of hours demanded to work (9 - 7, close to 50 hour work weeks. Sometimes more, if staff got low or numbers were bad.) I do not advice this job if you have a family or children that may need you in the evening or on weekends. I never felt that the other employees were happy or respectful of each other. I often said "we spend more time together than we do with our own families, working our butts off with no incentives, so respecting each other is awfully important! Without it, I'd rather not be here." I'm sure that's not the case everywhere but for whatever different reasons it was in our division. Not only within our store but the others near by that we also worked closely with.

Improving the quality of life of our co-workers is a joke

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have the potential to make good money but only if you are in the right location.

Cons

As a male you will be expected to do everything, & get little to no appreciation for it. You deal with the most uungrateful and disgusting people in America.

Actually create a better work life balance for your employees

Rent-A-Center Photos