Rent-A-Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rent-A-Center Chairman and CEO Mark E. Speese

Mark E. Speese

Pros:
  • "working with people fast paced environment good pay"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Good benefits as far as health, 401k, employee discounts"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "long hours to run accounts at night to deal with trying to peoples stuff at night"
    in 66 reviews
  • "Absolutely NO work/life balance - you are lucky if you get a couple of hours a day with your family"
    in 26 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sucks

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Amarillo, TX

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is nothing good I can say about this job

ConsWay too many hours, unrealistic expectations and gross...Bed Bugs

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a heart

Stay Away!!!

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

ProsOpportunity to help improve the quality of life for customers.

ConsUpper management view you as a number, instead as an individual. Unappreciative managers and customers. No quality of life what so ever. This company has no type of structure and will do everything in their power to take advantage of staff. No true incentive in sales, only bonuses go to store manager. This company is very disorganized and needs to think things out before launching new promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more, increase the quality of life and treat them with more respect.

worst job ever....

Customer Accounts Representative (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPays not bad. That's it.

ConsExtremely long hours, extremely disrespectful upper management, and total lack of honesty and ethics

Advice to Senior ManagementActually invest in your workers, don't just try to trick them into thinking that you do.

I gave them over 15 years and should have quit a long time ago!

Store Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe pay is excellent if you are willing to be there all the time and sacrafice everything else in your life.

ConsWork/ life balance is awful. The pressure of hitting a collection # just to go home most nights is crazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need a life outside of RAC and you make this utterly impossible.

Do not even consider working here

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Norwich, NY

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than a year

ProsMost of the people I worked WITH were fun to be around. The people I worked FOR sucked.

ConsWork/life balance does not exist. NO sense of ethics from district and regional manager. Whatever it took to make the numbers for the day, whether it was legitimate sales or not was OK as long as it made the DM look good in the morning. If you had to write a contract you knew was a fraud to hit your daily sales "expectation" then you write a contract that was a fraud. Forget about adherence to health and labor laws. You will always hear "If you don't like it, you no one is forcing you to stay". Gee I wonder why the turnover is so high.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has grown so big upper management has no idea what its regional and district managers are doing. I can tell you why last years sales and profits plummeted. If you get out of your ivory tower and get into your stores you can see for yourself.

Run... fast

Director (Former Employee)
Plano, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than a year

ProsI worked in the corporate "home office" location. Lots of stores with nice products for customers to rent or rent-to-own.

The most positive thing about this company is it will make you appreciate any other job you've ever had.

ConsHome Office is very hierarchical. Directors and up have offices, reserved parking spaces in the garage, and a business professional dress code. As one of these people, I was very uncomfortable as it led to a system of us against them.

Hostile work environment, especially for women. Google their class action lawsuit. Despite that ruling, it still exists that women are just hired for the numbers. Conversations and meetings are peppered with hostile and sexually explicit comments; very uncomfortable, and not a place where many women will succeed. Good old boys club indeed.

Senior leaders lead by intimidation, people are fired on the spot if they don't bow down and agree; no one willing to take risk for innovation for fear of losing their job.

Time off policy limited; other benefits expensive as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. Be receptive to new ideas and innovation. Respect your customers.

HORRIBLE !!!

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Prosyou lose peace of mind for a check

ConsWork in repo's in your neighborhood and then see these same people during your off time at Markets , or even worse your Kids Student Award Assembly where you can't even congratulate your kid in public due to the fact of retaliation , and if you tell management they say "it sounds like your taking it personal" you think? it just involves the fact I cant even been seen in public with my family due to this job...Very similar to a police officer living and working in the same town...just at least they have the law and weapons on their side, and as for you just make sure when you leave the store you watch your back or hold your breath before you turn down that aisle in the market...

Advice to Senior ManagementListen

Stay Away

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

ProsThere is no quality of life, and all you are doing is screwing the people you are forcing this mostly second rate merchandise on.

ConsThe Cons are self explanatory

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better plan and stick with it.

The company has no real leadership or vision for where it is going.

Assistant and Store Manager (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay isn't bad, and they offer benefits. Most of the co-workers are genuinely engaged in spite of constantly changing expectations and procedures.

ConsToo many hours, no leadership. Constantly changing goals, quotas etc. and absolutely no consistency in procedures or anything else. Things change daily. There is absolutely no carryover from one day to another in anything. Management tries to motivate through threats of termination and discipline. Instead they totally demotivate everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out where you are going and form a unified plan to get there! Stop promoting only "yes" people and start listening to what's really going on.

Happy to be Gone

Lease Accounting (Former Employee)
Plano, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are a lot of good, hard working people employed there.

ConsHigh turn over due to the departments management. If you can't work anywhere else and you don't know how to treat people, you can get a Mangement job at Rent A Center Corporate Office. The HR Dept. is of no help, because they have to do what Upper Management tells them to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't waste your time. It may start out ok, but Management will steal your soul.

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Rent-A-Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Rent-A-Center CEO Mark E. Speese. All 372 reviews posted anonymously by Rent-A-Center employees.