Rent-A-Center Reviews

569 reviews filtered by
2.4
Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 45 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 39 reviews)

• Very long hours(10-12 a day) - and it only gets worse as you move up the ladder (in 92 reviews)

1. Stressful

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Fast paced, move up fast

Cons

Very stressful, if you don't make quota, they will replace you.

Start thinking about your people

2. They will work you to death

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay and good health insurance

Cons

Unsafe practices, drug use among staff

Try the CAR job for one week, upper management. You'll cry all over your shiny Cole Haan's

3. There is always work to be done.

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Garden City, KS
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Garden City, KS

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Ft hours benefits always stay busy

Cons

Lifting and moving furniture angry customers

Be professional and follow a routine

5. You get what you give!

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

When I first came on the staff was great! We literally hit our numbers every day. Which left a lot of room for learning, organizing the showroom or just simply having down time.

Cons

New CEO. Gave us a pay cut and called it quality of life.

Stop over paying these "Managers in Training" and invest more time and money on those who have invested 5+ years to the company!

6. Horrible management. No respect for employees in the whole district. Endless broken Promises. Lots of HIGH demands.

Former Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Twin Falls, ID
    Former Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Twin Falls, ID

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Always staying busy fast paced work. Decent pay. Get to travel a lot doing deliveries, sales, marketing and collecting. Everyone does a little of everything at times so it isn't boring.

Cons

A lot of miscommunication due to everyone doing everyone's job. No real structure and unrealistic goals. 50+ hours a week with no life to do anything weather one is single or has a family. Constantly getting called in on days you need off due to employees quiting or lack of work ethic. Always short handed no matter what. High turnover rate. Very stressful environment.

Keep commitments as promised. You are quick to write one up but not quick at All to reward Hard work. I can pay for my lunch too thanks. I expect a better reward for making you Money.

A mostly positive work environment except for a few bad eggs in middle management.

Former Employee - Corporate Training in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Corporate Training in Plano, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits and good people. Friendly, easygoing environment.

Cons

Some areas (call centers, recruiting) had high turnover because of unrealistic expectations and goals. Unfortunately, the core values of the senior management don't always trickle down to the mid-level management. Very few "servant leaders" in mid-level. Office politics can get very cutthroat. Always watch your back, even with someone you think you can trust.

Don't just assume your managers are following through on your culture and values. Talk to the "real people" to find out what's really happening.

8. The crush your dreams and you life.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Miami, FL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

The income is great.you get paid weekly and your off on sundays.

Cons

You bearly get to see your family is my biggest problem. This company has taken away so much time .It is very stressfull and sometimes management makes demands that are unrealistic.the call you last minute so you have to work late and alot of pressure.

realy many of you started at the bottom also.If their is no sales im sure the team is doing everything possible to get some and if collections are bad we cant forse people to pay.

9. ...there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

Former Intern - Assistant Manager in Duarte, CA
    Former Intern - Assistant Manager in Duarte, CA

I worked at Rent-A-Center as an intern (more than 5 years)

Pros

I'm now able to appreciate the people I work with, my family and friends, SPARE TIME, less stress and an actual career that recognizes talent, hard work and intelligence over brown-nosing, energetic yes-men/women. Met some really great people who I still associate with today. The fact that you're given a million things to do each day while ALSO trying to cover your incompetent co-workers behinds, is actually quite character building. Unfortunately, those same incompetent co-workers will undoubtedly take credit for YOUR hard work and thus you will be stuck in a perpetual revolving carousel of misery and suffering. All while hoping that ONE DAY your efforts and hard work will finally be recognized and justice will prevail. Alas, such is not the case due to the fact that those same incompetent co-workers have quite masterfully been weaseling their way into management positions for decades. The only positive takeaway is that you do truly appreciate life in general once you are freed from those RAC shackles. You come away so battle tested and having endured such utter ignorance and mismanagement, it's impossible not to come out of there a stronger person. It's like a soldier on a team of blind, one-armed, wheelchair bound troops armed with water guns-- going up against enemies with tanks and missiles. You come out of there alive, you sure as hell appreciate it, but you never look back.

Cons

-You work with and amongst fools and scumbags. (Take a look at the laughable grammar, spelling and overall poor sentence/story structure from 90% of the current employers to get a taste of the awesome go-getters the company looks to promote into management positions. These managers are undoubtedly writing a positive review to try and passive-aggressively get something off their chest while also trying to score some brownie points with their DMs... OR writing in at their DMs request to try and score some brownie points with the Regional bosses. That's how it works here people, get used to it.)
    -Constant turnover. (some realize it sooner, some later... the place is no good)
    -Unrealistic goals that only fit the needs of upper management. (numbers aren't met, they can blame someone else at the bottom of the totem pole and repeat the cycle)
    -No modern business practices or structure taking place. (Upper mgmt only looking to make their $$, the rest of the herd can fend for themselves)
    -Customers are expendable and so are the employees
    -Employees not valued. (Cheap awards and incentives are put in play to appease the uninitiated, but they are laughable in comparison to other companies. "Get 50 sales this week and you get a chance for a half day off!!" Nevermind your workload will pile up and you'll have to work an extra day just to catch up. LOL
    -The company has lost and will continue to lose genuinely GOOD employees because those in"power" have no idea how to manage things. They read a couple of self help books and regurgitate the same old tired cliches and rhetoric passed on down the line and think they're making progress. LOL

Think outside the box.
    Work smarter, not harder.
    Give 100%.
    Raise the bar.
    Step up to the challenge and be a leader not a follower.
    Etc, etc. etc....

10. Micro management at its worst

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Very easy day to day work. Pay is decent. Coworkers become like family

Cons

RD who threatens everyone's job. DM who only worries about his numbers and offers little help. Promises of raises and promotions but that changes when the wind blows. Customers houses that are dangerous hazards

Be honest about pay cuts. Give sales and promotions that are exciting to sell. Listen to store level employees and what we need to succeed. It's hard to manage 3000 stores across the country the same way

11. Not so bad of a job, but not good enough to make it a career.

Current Employee - Lead Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Lead Assistant Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Descent pay and benefits. My market manager is a great coach and very approachable. it is not hard to move up

Cons

long working hours. An employee will spend an average of 10 hours a day in the store, and it is very difficult to get a weekend off.

Rent-A-Center Photos