Rent-A-Center

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis

Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 40 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work with excellent pay and benefits

Store Manager (Former Employee) New Philadelphia, OH

ProsGood entry-level start out pay with paid holidays. Sundays off. There is plenty of room for advancement and/or promotion.

ConsNot a real "family friendly" company, the minimum 48+ hours a week leaves very little time for family. You sometimes fell like you are harassing customers because of the requirement to call them on the day they are due.

Advice to Senior Managementcustomers are NOT a 5.9/2.9! They have names and familys that deserve respect.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have never left my previous employer for Rent-A-Center!

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsNothing, I would not recommend this employer to anyone who likes to deal with people with honesty and integrity.

ConsIn the district I worked in there was disrespect demonstrated daily by the store managers towards employees as well as customers. The companies core values are not demonstrated in this particular district.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe companies desired culture and values are impressive but it in some areas it does not roll down to the store level.

Terrible company if looking for tenure

Store Manager (Former Employee) Aberdeen, NC

ProsDecent pay, off on sundays, fairly flexible scheduling.

ConsHeavy workloads, short staffing, changing district/regional management. Stressful work environment. Once at a store management level, its extremely tough to increase your pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep better district managers in place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a decent position. I enjoyed the sales part but doing deliveries and repos were the part that I disliked.

Customer Account Representative (Former Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsSales experience is probably the biggest pro you can get out of the job. You get paid weekly another plus.

ConsThe cons are that the job requires you work long hours and can be highly physically demanding if you are doing deliveries.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more responsible sales. Don't just give anyone anything just to get the sale but have the merchandise returned in a week. Taking time off is seen as a bad thing, that needs to change.

It's a Numbers Game and you have to be "IN" with your Boss

District Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsBenefits are good, You get to know your customer VERY WELL!!! Your Employees Can be a Blast!

ConsCompany is not living is Motto at all. Communication is a lack thereof. Expect not to see your Family! Seriously!!! With the Exception of Sunday!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of Barking Rules, get down and Dirty! Especially the RD's & VP's who havent ran a Store in 5-8 Plus years! Things have Changed, they are not how they used to be. Have an open ear and listen to your employees at times.

Business Management 101 ( Get Paid to Learn)

Customer Account Manager (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK

ProsThe work is diverse and rewarding. The training you receive is an invaluable resource that will help you succeed for the rest of your career in any business. Stores average 5 to 7 employees so the atmosphere is like having a second family. It's all around awesome.

ConsNot very flexible with time off. The needs of the company seem to come before the needs of the employees sometimes. And count on working Saturdays

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the little guys more incentive to be the best. The store managers have something to compete for, but the success of any store is without a doubt a team accomplishment.

Fun progressing company growing from mid-size to large

Director IT (Current Employee) Plano, TX

ProsWork Life Balance, Commitment to core company values of respect and servant leadership, opportunity to learn new technologies. Constantly seeking new lines of business to grow.

ConsRelies too much on People, not enough on Process & Technology to accomplish goals. Growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementExciting times...lead us to success!

Not living their corporate mission

District Manager (Former Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

Proschance for promotion and raises high.

Conshigh stress. high employee turnover.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider seeking advice from your field personnel.

It's awesome, because we get Sundays off.

Customer Account Representative (Current Employee) Fall River, MA

ProsStarting pay is decent for entry level. You also get a free gym membership at no extra cost, which includes such things as lifting 200 lb dressers up to fourth floors. Benefits, too, like health and dental. Also, if you hate your family and friends it's a good excuse to never see them again. You'll also have the satisfaction of knowing your earning the people above you lovely cruise trips.

SUNDAYS OFF!! :D

ConsI'm often left wondering why they don't give us more responsibilities that directly contradict one another. Harassing the same people for payments whom I befriended a week ago in order to convince them to buy a used mattress is fine, but could I also then telemarket them a day later asking if they want more stuff? Also, I feel that corporate is too easy on us. We didn't even turn the profit they wanted last year, that deserves a cut in pay all across the board. I mean c'mon. I also once owned a turtle and after ignoring him for a week straight while I worked, he was still alive. More hours would solve this, because I hate that turtle.

Advice to Senior ManagementBesides what I've covered above, I think there needs to be less communication from corporate, to managers, to employees. Sometimes my directions are too clear. Leave something to the imagination! If you're employees seem tired or unhappy, that's clearly their fault, regardless of how long they've been with the company. Actually, get rid of those guys. Also, if you aren't turning the profit you want, I feel this means the employees aren't doing their job right. Perhaps threatening their jobs daily and carrying items like cell phones would solve that, because those sell themselves, even without advertising and a sales plan.

There needs to be more telemarketing, too. The customers may say they hate it, but what do they know? Not enough to come in and get a phone at the sweet bargain of 1,000$, that's for darn tootin'!

Very poor management

Computer Support (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsWorked on a lot of new technology and hardware

ConsReally bad management. Would not listen to SMEs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you hire someone that is at the top of their field it might behoove you to listen to what they have to say.

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!