Rent-A-Center

Updated August 18, 2014

2.5

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 40 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent Stepping Stone

Pros

Easy work, Overtime, Hourly managers, Monthly Bonuses

Cons

Pay gap between assistant managers, sales managers, and district managers is huge.

Pay more and you'll get better talent.

Great company and friendly environment.

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative  in  Bakersfield, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Bakersfield, CA

Pros

48 hours minimum. Decent pay. Easy work.

Cons

Dealing with rude and angry customers.

BULL!!!

Current Employee - Lead Assistant Manager  in  Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Augusta, GA

Pros

Employee purchase after 6 months if you can put up with the bull!!!

Cons

I received a $.25 raise but got my hours cut by 3 from 50 to 47. I am still losing about 47.00 a week in pay becuse the company has standards that are ridiculous.

Stop trying to rent to just anyone. The verification process is not enough. I cannot make grown people pay their bill. If they don't pay pick it up. you cannot expect that all stores will be in compliance with your credit system. Some people come into the store with the intent to steal. Get a better system of verification, and you will have better customers. Lower your prices and you will have even more customers. Stop preying on the poor and giving your employees less then 1/16% of your gross revenue to make a business run.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job

Pros

Pay is good and lots of opportunity for growth!

Cons

Hours/ working 6 days a week

Consistent inconsistent direction, leadership, and expectations in the last couple of years,.

Former Employee - Regional Director of Operations
    Former Employee - Regional Director of Operations

Pros

Compensations was very good, if you were on the old pay scale.

Cons

Work life balance was horrible. Weekends off were unheard of and almost anti religious in this environment. Expectations for field level and district level employees was unattainable.
    We were told of great and exiting upcoming things, which all to often never materialized, despite informing out team members and clients. Constant back peddling and re justifying company direction.

Would not recommend. Study the stocks, the expectations, and extreme changes going on in their home office and executive levels.

Great Place to learn.

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

Pros

I learned the business both what to do and what not to do.

Cons

Out of touch upper management will continue to force the company to struggle when it shouldn't have to.

Now that I own my own RTO business I would say keep doing what you are doing and my business will continue to grow.

they dont really care

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Ogden, UT

Pros

you have work everyday of he year

Cons

long hours not enough pay

some of your dm's don't really give a crap about their managers they ask them to do things that they know are not right, and when the crap hits the fan they turn the other way and act like they had no idea????? you have lost a lot of good managers because of this! they are in it for themselves only,a paycheck they only pretend to care. Just look at the stores that have lost good managers and see what happened to the BOR after they were gone - look at that stat and you wont wonder what is going on???????

management

Former Employee - Senior Tax Specialist  in  West Orange, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Tax Specialist in West Orange, NJ

Pros

excellent work environment and compensation

Cons

seasonal job wish the job was yearlong

Good honest company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Covington, LA

Pros

I see lots of promotions from within that are merit based, and Store Managers have the autonomy to grow the business and profitability of their stores, which increases bonus dollars. Their employee purchase program is a nice perk, where Coworkers can purchase brand new merchandise at cost.

Cons

Long shift hours, no consecutive days off, hard sometimes to deal with the customer base, which is, to put it mildly, the lower to lowest tier of the educational and socio economic ladder.

Better balance of quality of life; occasional weekend off would go a LONG way.

The company is failing and here is why...

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Birmingham, AL

Pros

I get along with my immediate coworkers and store manager. That is all that is good that can be said.

Cons

Self entitled customers with an elitist attitude. The company expects you to go door to door collecting on accounts where customers are vindictive. Then the company expects you to go five houses up and down from whatever stop you just did (repo, delivery, service call) and preach the gospel of rentacenter. In rural areas with lots of no trespassing signs and such, this is a TERRIBLE idea.

Then, just this week, they cut our hours back to where employees lose $100 - $200 a week depending on what you make, then tell us we get a $0.25 raise that only gives us back $12 - $14 a week. They are telling us its a good thing that it gives us more time for family - but it doesn't. They actually expect us to stay LATER now. They didn't say for our families, they mean for customers.

They sent an email out yesterday talking about the closure of the corporate leasing division.

They refuse to call a spade a spade and just say "hey, business is not so good, we have to cut you back". No they refuse to do so because then their beloved shareholders will panic and withdraw.

This company is terrible. Most of the customers are wretched people with terrible attitudes that when you call nicely, trying to see what you can do to save an account and HELP them, they cop an attitude. The majority of the homes you go to are something that you would swear bubonic plague is alive and well there. You still work 45+ hours a week for minimal pay that got cut further back.

Basically doing the math, they just negated the raises that I have worked hard for in the last 2 and a half years, putting me exactly what I was at when I first started here.

And then, they have this new scheme called cascading rates. Basically, they took an item at a set price, raised that price significantly and said we can lower the cost if a customer really complains it is too high.

This company is as dirty to its customers as it is its employees. I cannot describe how underhanded rentacenter is.

And we just started carrying cell phones. If you go full term on a galaxy note 3 you will end up paying $2700!!! No kidding!!!

Job seekers - avoid this company at all costs!!!
    Current employees - either find something fast or lets band together and make a counteroffer to their supposed great plan for employees - starting with 40 hours a week and company paid benefits and giving us our raises back!

Get a new CEO, listen to your employees and stop lying saying you hear us. You don't survey us, so how do you hear us?

My suggestions about your cell phone explanations wording being wrong fell on deaf ears. I tried to explain how your figures on just what 1gb of data will do was completely ignored when my store manager brought it to attention. He was told to keep me in the back - because I know what I am talking about.

This company is failing miserably. You make questionable decisions that only worsen situations because you are greedy, then take away from us, the employees. And you try to tell us it is a GOOD thing!?

I hope rentacenter gets bought out by aarons, which is coming by the way. Read the writing on the walls fellow employees.

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!