Rent-A-Center

Updated November 19, 2014
2.5

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 43 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 37 reviews)

• Very long hours(10-12 a day) - and it only gets worse as you move up the ladder (in 88 reviews)

More Highlights

Current rehire from RTO to AcceptanceNow

Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, excellent benefits, you can move up fast, you learn great leadership skills it will take u far, you can become a manager quick just apply yourself.

Cons

LONG hours, calling customers all day and not getting them to come in can be exhausting, trying to sell a program to people who are already struggling for each penny they make,

Have more tangible ways to express great job to your employees ie= meals for staff, fun day off, etc.. and not just for the ones who excel in credit and sales, there are plenty of great employees who never get acknowledged who might not make goal monthly but got a payment/ merchandize from the hardest customer.

Store manager

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sundays off, weekly pay, great employee purchase program.

Cons

hours, under paid, work 6 days a week if you are short staffed no questioned asked. The employees you manage make more Money then you do.

pay your store managers more money for all the crap they do. Put a program in place for rotating weekends off. A employee program to help out with there needs and if they have a tragedy in there family the company helps out.

Has its highs and lows

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great coworkers, good overall work environment. Lots of different task that need to be performed so it keeps things fresh.

Cons

Long hours, pay wasn't up to par. Can be very long and physically strenuous hours. Workload can be overwhelming

It can be very stressful, a good team is a must. You need a clear daily goal and plan, don't overwork your employees they can be your saving grace.

Great benefits, they promote from with in. Competitive sales.

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bolivar, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in Bolivar, TN

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are Excellent. They train you and promote from with in. If you like sales, this is a great place to work because RAC is sales driven and all about the numbers. You really get to know your customers. If you are a people person this is good.

Cons

Off days are never together. They are always closed sundays. And the other off day is Tues, Wedns, or Thurs. To force sales, corporate sends out emails district wide with numbers and taunting or ridiculing poor sales performance. Collections can be stressful. Every Thursday is cold calls to generate sales from previous customers or references.

Try positive tactics to encourage associates to meet or exceed sales goals instead.

12 years and a blind side

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

Good pay for the top rental company

Cons

Deal with the devil for sacrifices for you and your family.

Continue to jerk the wheel from left to right for a sense of control. One day you will lose it.

It was a very demanding job. It gave me challenges which I love.

Former Employee - Assistant Credit Manager in Morristown, TN
    Former Employee - Assistant Credit Manager in Morristown, TN

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It gave me challenges. It was fast pace for the most part. Everyday there was things that was the same yet different. I enjoyed the physical labor and the clerical demands. My co-workers were wonderful. The management was understanding when it came to family matters.

Cons

Sometimes upper management didn't value anything it was always about numbers more than what you had accomplished.

Promote more and value your employees.

Company sucks hour the ppl

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Rent-A-Center

Pros

None what so ever the best thing about this bs company is closing time

Cons

Everything from the time you get there until you leave

Get a Life

Take from the poor, the rich get richer.

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you want to learn the Rent to Own industry, this company will teach you.

Cons

As a part of this company for over 15 years I have had the opportunity to become a part of the growth of what was once considered a great company. At one time I felt privileged and honored to be apart of something that special. To be the biggest and the best in the industry, not only the leader but once an innovator.
    That was the RAC of old, today is quite a different story. This has always been a tough business, but this company has made it more difficult for the field to produce. Let me explain.
    Disorganized:
    This is the first word that comes to mind when describing the inner workings of this company. There is a huge disconnect from the Home Office to their field operations. Antiquated business model, marketing, and overall reactive management style to problems and results that have existed for years, problems and results that the company itself has contributed to, causes nothing but stress and confusion in the field, attributing to unsavory management tactics and uncontrollable turnover.
    Profit before People:
    Our mission statement reads " To improve the quality of life for our coworkers and customers." Stop the charade. This company focuses on the negative results and behaviors on a daily basis. This company paints a picture that they do great things for their people, they do....the top 10%. Short of that you are a tangible item and even then, have a bad year and you join the majority. Pay cuts recently went into effect....wait I mean " You asked, we've listened". This company has lost revenue for the first three quarters of 2014 in its Core Rent to Own stores and have closed 150 stores to boot. Let's call the hourly employee's schedule and pay change what it really is shall we.
    Communication:
    We as a company in our field operations rely on communication between one another in our stores and more importantly with our customers. With that comes the communication from above, our support system. We teach our people to become better communicators, yet the communication from our support system ( home office) is terrible at best. If a new initiative was placed today there will be countless retractions and changes by the weeks end. Things have to be streamlined at the top before they can be where it counts the most.
    Competition:
    We fight hard day in and day out to find and make sales. We don't have the typical traffic of a traditional retail establishment. In most cases you are competing against your own company. We have grown by over saturating areas not only with brick and mortar RTO stores,but subsidiaries of our company in a manned and unmanned kiosk format in those traditional retail environments. Our hopes to capture other audiences have been taken away by our own people. Does it make the company a more solid entity, absolutely. At the same time we need to tailor the expectations for those faced with this kind of challenge. Instead we persecute those who can't achieve absurdity.
    The consumer is changing in our business and this company fails to move forward with those changes. Once an innovator, we are now one step behind. Have been for years now. We run the same promotions time and time again expecting goals that are purely reactive to the poor results given just a week before. This company paints the entire nation with the same brush not giving way to economic conditions geographically. If it's good in Texas, then it's good to go! Until they use 25+ years of data to find the answers we need in our business,in this industry, we are facing a hard struggle.
    My overall suggestion for employment with this company is this- stay away.

The company does not live it's values. Until it does and until the majority feels as such you are fighting a losing battle. Get in the field and talk to your people, other than the top 10%. Work life balance does not exist in this company. Their totem pole of importance doesn't include you or your family.

From driver to store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits.flexible with hours and schedule...employee purchase program..vacation..

Cons

They keep adding work to your job description with no pay increase 5 years and was making 14 an hour...too much pressure...everyone hates working there...no more than 50 hrs a wk...if you quit they wont rehire you back even if you put your 2 weeks notice unless your a kiss up they will...

Care about your workers...help them out everyone there is a worker there no one owns no one...

Customer Relation Rep

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Elgin, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Elgin, IL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time

Pros

People you work with are great

Cons

Company underpays you for everything you do. You have to sell, deliver furniture, and collect. Collections means you must take back people stuff when they can not pay.

You need to pay a fair wage for all the work you demand from us!!!!!

Rent-A-Center Photos