Rent-A-Center Reviews

Reset

1. "Safe" place to work

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, interpersonal skills are learned as well sales and credit managment. Semi laid back work environment and some store managers are great.

Cons

No family life or bonus for non salary. Management has a very negative motivation style, there are some nasty customers out there in many ways

Advice to Management

more incentives for non salary workers, less negative reinforcement. Better pay for less hours for tenured employees and a real bonus system

2. Quality of life is non existent!

Former Employee - CAR, Assistant Manager, Lead Executive and Store Manager in Hayward, CA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Along with a weekly paycheck and decent benefits, the work is relatively easy. I've had the pleasure of working with great employees and superiors my first 6 years with the company. The idea of meeting someone, problem solving or taking on different duties made it worthwhile.

Cons

Don't know who's to blame here.But for the past year since we've had a new CEO things have been looking not so promising. We're taking pay cuts while being promised shorter hours; that never happened. You're promised promotions for achieving specific goals; that never happened. New employees are given promotions and outrageous raises bc they threatened to quit. Working under somebody who not only plays favoritism but who is also prejudicplus stressful enough. You're always getting held accountable for your downfalls but who is being held accountable when upper management and above are not doing their job?

Advice to Management

More time and effort should be invested on senior employees. "Quality of life" motto needs to be practiced more consistently.

Had Fun

Former Employee - District Manager in Thomson, GA
    Former Employee - District Manager in Thomson, GA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You are given every opportunity to succeed.

Cons

They change SO much that you can't keep up with it.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel and hire better people with higher salries. What you pay your managers for the work they do is a joke!

5. IT ASSET MANAGEMENT - TURNING GREEN

Former Employee - IT Asset Management Coordinator in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - IT Asset Management Coordinator in Plano, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great on job training, opportunity to advance with awesome salary/benefits in the IT Dept.

Cons

office politics and favorites with certain groups/employees like normal.

6. Store Manager

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Chance to advance your career is there with the hard work you put in. What you put in you get out of the job.

Cons

Long hours, high stress environment., Work life balance can be a struggle at times. Late nights are required sometimes on short notice.

Advice to Management

Great for anyone with the will to succeed. The younger you start the better.

7. Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Holly Springs, MS
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Holly Springs, MS

I worked at Rent-A-Center (More than a year)

Pros

5 day work schedule, decent pay

Cons

Inventory was horrible at my store

Advice to Management

It's really on you. Be positive and have fun

8. I love my job but

Current Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Neptune City, NJ
    Current Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Neptune City, NJ

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time

Pros

Great pay used to be better but cut backs and you really get to help ppl that can't afford to spend lump sums and can't do anything with bad credit

Cons

You can get fired for ppl not paying there bills and unrealistic expectations on certain aspects of the job

Advice to Management

Hey if your gonna cut my hours don't just leave my pay the same we have come accustomed to a certain life style or way of living cutting hours takes away from us and our families

9. Lead Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Lead Assistant Manager in Bronx, NY

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation and salary with good benefits.

Cons

Vacations are only allow 1 week at a time and the overtime is mandatory 50-60 hours per week which leave very little time for the family

District Manager

Current Employee - District Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - District Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some great people that work along side you. Better pay as you move up. 401k match from company.

Cons

Unrealistic work hours for SM's and DM's. Extreme micro-management from VP and above. Threatening language and e-mails frequently about your position and performance. First time opening on July 4th for business and the company notified coworkers 5 weeks ahead of time. We also were instructed to call customers that were late on this national holiday. How can we change our image/reputation when we are doing this?

Advice to Management

Train your coworkers! Those coworkers on the front lines are not getting trained. SM's have no time to do so and then we have coworkers who we have high expectations from, that are not fully capable of performing their job.

11. Credit Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hickory, NC
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Hickory, NC

I worked at Rent-A-Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity for promotion and compensation

Cons

Little focus on customer service and most product rented and delivered is sub par. Embarrassing to those who's focus and concentration is on customer satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Background screening of potential employees and management, along with thorough follow up on complaints submitted by staff.

RSS Feed </> Embed