Rent-A-Center Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

2.5

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 40 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 34 reviews)

• Long hours, the whole concept scams low income people andshould be illegal (in 81 reviews)

More Highlights

The horror.....the horror

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative  in  Brewer, ME
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in Brewer, ME

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I worked there the health insurance benefits were fantastic! It figured out to about $30 a week pre-tax for just me and that covered everything including dental and vision. Some of the customers were great to deliver to and interact with on a weekly basis.

Cons

Many stores promote based on whether or not they like you in a particular role. I was stuck as a collections manager for the entire time I worked there. It was horrible, I had to be in every morning at 8 a.m. and usually didn't go home until 8 at night or later. 5.9/4.9 (1-6 day past due and 7 days plus past due) or 9 p.m. closeout was always stressed, but the only people stuck working until 9 p.m. on a Saturday night for not hitting the number was the collections manager (me) and my delivery guy who would have to go out and repo items from people's houses only to go out and re-deliver them on Monday morning when they could pay. Also did I mention that the majority of the homes you go in to are absolutely filthy? There were many a times we would come back from a house and be told to go home and change or to bring an extra set of work clothes with us so we could go to the local truck stop and shower and come back to work. I was stuck in an entry level position for 3 years because I chose to work hard and other people continually took credit for my work and got promoted over me. I think the worst part though was when I turned in my two week notice my boss took my keys from me and told me to get the bleep out of his store. Then he told the home office that I quit.

Promote people based on merit and worth and not because they've got their lips firmly planted on the backside of upper managers. Don't get too uptight on the 5.9 or 9 rule. Many customers hit a temporary snag and they have sunk a TON of money in to items that they won't have any ownership on at all until they pay it off. And most typically if someone takes an item out for the whole length of the rental period they will have paid on average 4.5 times what the product sells for on the market.

Fun progressing company growing from mid-size to large

Current Employee - Director IT  in  Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Director IT in Plano, TX

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work Life Balance, Commitment to core company values of respect and servant leadership, opportunity to learn new technologies. Constantly seeking new lines of business to grow.

Cons

Relies too much on People, not enough on Process & Technology to accomplish goals. Growing pains.

Exciting times...lead us to success!

RAC

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time

Pros

Good health insurance and other benefits

Cons

No loyalty by upper management to employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment and direct supervisors are awesome. All full time positions with insurance and employer matched 401k.

Cons

Long work hours, at least 50 hours per week from 8:30AM to 8:00PM.

Terrible company if looking for tenure

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Aberdeen, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Aberdeen, NC

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Decent pay, off on sundays, fairly flexible scheduling.

Cons

Heavy workloads, short staffing, changing district/regional management. Stressful work environment. Once at a store management level, its extremely tough to increase your pay.

Keep better district managers in place.

The company is failing and here is why...

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I get along with my immediate coworkers and store manager. That is all that is good that can be said.

Cons

Self entitled customers with an elitist attitude. The company expects you to go door to door collecting on accounts where customers are vindictive. Then the company expects you to go five houses up and down from whatever stop you just did (repo, delivery, service call) and preach the gospel of rentacenter. In rural areas with lots of no trespassing signs and such, this is a TERRIBLE idea.

Then, just this week, they cut our hours back to where employees lose $100 - $200 a week depending on what you make, then tell us we get a $0.25 raise that only gives us back $12 - $14 a week. They are telling us its a good thing that it gives us more time for family - but it doesn't. They actually expect us to stay LATER now. They didn't say for our families, they mean for customers.

They sent an email out yesterday talking about the closure of the corporate leasing division.

They refuse to call a spade a spade and just say "hey, business is not so good, we have to cut you back". No they refuse to do so because then their beloved shareholders will panic and withdraw.

This company is terrible. Most of the customers are wretched people with terrible attitudes that when you call nicely, trying to see what you can do to save an account and HELP them, they cop an attitude. The majority of the homes you go to are something that you would swear bubonic plague is alive and well there. You still work 45+ hours a week for minimal pay that got cut further back.

Basically doing the math, they just negated the raises that I have worked hard for in the last 2 and a half years, putting me exactly what I was at when I first started here.

And then, they have this new scheme called cascading rates. Basically, they took an item at a set price, raised that price significantly and said we can lower the cost if a customer really complains it is too high.

This company is as dirty to its customers as it is its employees. I cannot describe how underhanded rentacenter is.

And we just started carrying cell phones. If you go full term on a galaxy note 3 you will end up paying $2700!!! No kidding!!!

Job seekers - avoid this company at all costs!!!
    Current employees - either find something fast or lets band together and make a counteroffer to their supposed great plan for employees - starting with 40 hours a week and company paid benefits and giving us our raises back!

Get a new CEO, listen to your employees and stop lying saying you hear us. You don't survey us, so how do you hear us?

My suggestions about your cell phone explanations wording being wrong fell on deaf ears. I tried to explain how your figures on just what 1gb of data will do was completely ignored when my store manager brought it to attention. He was told to keep me in the back - because I know what I am talking about.

This company is failing miserably. You make questionable decisions that only worsen situations because you are greedy, then take away from us, the employees. And you try to tell us it is a GOOD thing!?

I hope rentacenter gets bought out by aarons, which is coming by the way. Read the writing on the walls fellow employees.

It was a decent position. I enjoyed the sales part but doing deliveries and repos were the part that I disliked.

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Account Representative in San Jose, CA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sales experience is probably the biggest pro you can get out of the job. You get paid weekly another plus.

Cons

The cons are that the job requires you work long hours and can be highly physically demanding if you are doing deliveries.

Make more responsible sales. Don't just give anyone anything just to get the sale but have the merchandise returned in a week. Taking time off is seen as a bad thing, that needs to change.

It's awesome, because we get Sundays off.

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative  in  Fall River, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Fall River, MA

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Starting pay is decent for entry level. You also get a free gym membership at no extra cost, which includes such things as lifting 200 lb dressers up to fourth floors. Benefits, too, like health and dental. Also, if you hate your family and friends it's a good excuse to never see them again. You'll also have the satisfaction of knowing your earning the people above you lovely cruise trips.

SUNDAYS OFF!! :D

Cons

I'm often left wondering why they don't give us more responsibilities that directly contradict one another. Harassing the same people for payments whom I befriended a week ago in order to convince them to buy a used mattress is fine, but could I also then telemarket them a day later asking if they want more stuff? Also, I feel that corporate is too easy on us. We didn't even turn the profit they wanted last year, that deserves a cut in pay all across the board. I mean c'mon. I also once owned a turtle and after ignoring him for a week straight while I worked, he was still alive. More hours would solve this, because I hate that turtle.

Besides what I've covered above, I think there needs to be less communication from corporate, to managers, to employees. Sometimes my directions are too clear. Leave something to the imagination! If you're employees seem tired or unhappy, that's clearly their fault, regardless of how long they've been with the company. Actually, get rid of those guys. Also, if you aren't turning the profit you want, I feel this means the employees aren't doing their job right. Perhaps threatening their jobs daily and carrying items like cell phones would solve that, because those sell themselves, even without advertising and a sales plan.

There needs to be more telemarketing, too. The customers may say they hate it, but what do they know? Not enough to come in and get a phone at the sweet bargain of 1,000$, that's for darn tootin'!

Not living their corporate mission

Former Employee - District Manager  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

chance for promotion and raises high.

Cons

high stress. high employee turnover.

consider seeking advice from your field personnel.

Very poor management

Former Employee - Computer Support  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Support in Plano, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Worked on a lot of new technology and hardware

Cons

Really bad management. Would not listen to SMEs.

If you hire someone that is at the top of their field it might behoove you to listen to what they have to say.

Worked for Rent-A-Center? Contribute to the Community!