Rent-A-Center

Updated October 17, 2014
2.5

Rent-A-Center CEO Robert D. Davis
Robert D. Davis

Pros
  • stable company good pay don't enjoy to go to work but i like my job (in 42 reviews)

• Pretty decent pay considering you need no experience (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance due to the 50 hour work week schedule (in 37 reviews)

• Very long hours(10-12 a day) - and it only gets worse as you move up the ladder (in 88 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible company if looking for tenure

Former Employee - Store Manager in Aberdeen, NC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Aberdeen, NC

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, off on sundays, fairly flexible scheduling.

Cons

Heavy workloads, short staffing, changing district/regional management. Stressful work environment. Once at a store management level, its extremely tough to increase your pay.

Keep better district managers in place.

It's a Numbers Game and you have to be "IN" with your Boss

Current Employee - District Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - District Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, You get to know your customer VERY WELL!!! Your Employees Can be a Blast!

Cons

Company is not living is Motto at all. Communication is a lack thereof. Expect not to see your Family! Seriously!!! With the Exception of Sunday!!!

Instead of Barking Rules, get down and Dirty! Especially the RD's & VP's who havent ran a Store in 5-8 Plus years! Things have Changed, they are not how they used to be. Have an open ear and listen to your employees at times.

Business Management 101 ( Get Paid to Learn)

Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Account Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The work is diverse and rewarding. The training you receive is an invaluable resource that will help you succeed for the rest of your career in any business. Stores average 5 to 7 employees so the atmosphere is like having a second family. It's all around awesome.

Cons

Not very flexible with time off. The needs of the company seem to come before the needs of the employees sometimes. And count on working Saturdays

Give the little guys more incentive to be the best. The store managers have something to compete for, but the success of any store is without a doubt a team accomplishment.

RAC

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time

Pros

Good health insurance and other benefits

Cons

No loyalty by upper management to employees

Overworked, underpaid managers, poor treatment of employees and customers...

I worked at Rent-A-Center (more than 3 years)

Pros

For individuals without a college education, the pay is pretty fair, until one enters management.

Cons

Managers are underpaid, responsibilities are often over-exaggerated and unreasonable. Where I was employed, treatment from one person to the next varied by how much you "fit in with the boss". Shifts are usually 10+ hrs a day, and often merchandise deliveries run over; keeping the manager and the employee even longer at work.

Invest into your management team! Most of the managers are employees that took customer applications and "rolled the deal",,, thus had a lot of sales.... big deal, as most are garbage on the books, but looks like a lot of activity from the employee. They (managers) have no formal training on how to talk to employees or customers, the have no experience with labor laws, human resources and most of the time little to no experience on RAC paperwork, processes, systems.... etc. Management training classes can be broken into separate classes... keeping some in the store while others are learning. Invest some of your 4 billion in sales...

Fun progressing company growing from mid-size to large

Current Employee - Director IT in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Director IT in Plano, TX

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance, Commitment to core company values of respect and servant leadership, opportunity to learn new technologies. Constantly seeking new lines of business to grow.

Cons

Relies too much on People, not enough on Process & Technology to accomplish goals. Growing pains.

Exciting times...lead us to success!

Great experience with lots of advancement.

Former Employee - District Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - District Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Training program good and competitive salary.

Cons

Terrible work schedule with days off if any staggered, and no work life balance.

Need to have more work life balance that you preach it seems the only employees with work life balance are regional directors and above.

Enjoyable, but.......

Current Employee - N/A
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Weekly paychecks, fast paced environment, always something to do, can be rewarding, easily fulfilled career, not much to get in.

Cons

Some of the customers that we cater to, employee mentality, bad surprises, easy to get wrapped up into something else, time away from family, very time consuming, working sun up to sundown.

Hire more staff and work less hours.

The company is failing and here is why...

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I get along with my immediate coworkers and store manager. That is all that is good that can be said.

Cons

Self entitled customers with an elitist attitude. The company expects you to go door to door collecting on accounts where customers are vindictive. Then the company expects you to go five houses up and down from whatever stop you just did (repo, delivery, service call) and preach the gospel of rentacenter. In rural areas with lots of no trespassing signs and such, this is a TERRIBLE idea.

Then, just this week, they cut our hours back to where employees lose $100 - $200 a week depending on what you make, then tell us we get a $0.25 raise that only gives us back $12 - $14 a week. They are telling us its a good thing that it gives us more time for family - but it doesn't. They actually expect us to stay LATER now. They didn't say for our families, they mean for customers.

They sent an email out yesterday talking about the closure of the corporate leasing division.

They refuse to call a spade a spade and just say "hey, business is not so good, we have to cut you back". No they refuse to do so because then their beloved shareholders will panic and withdraw.

This company is terrible. Most of the customers are wretched people with terrible attitudes that when you call nicely, trying to see what you can do to save an account and HELP them, they cop an attitude. The majority of the homes you go to are something that you would swear bubonic plague is alive and well there. You still work 45+ hours a week for minimal pay that got cut further back.

Basically doing the math, they just negated the raises that I have worked hard for in the last 2 and a half years, putting me exactly what I was at when I first started here.

And then, they have this new scheme called cascading rates. Basically, they took an item at a set price, raised that price significantly and said we can lower the cost if a customer really complains it is too high.

This company is as dirty to its customers as it is its employees. I cannot describe how underhanded rentacenter is.

And we just started carrying cell phones. If you go full term on a galaxy note 3 you will end up paying $2700!!! No kidding!!!

Job seekers - avoid this company at all costs!!!
    Current employees - either find something fast or lets band together and make a counteroffer to their supposed great plan for employees - starting with 40 hours a week and company paid benefits and giving us our raises back!

Get a new CEO, listen to your employees and stop lying saying you hear us. You don't survey us, so how do you hear us?

My suggestions about your cell phone explanations wording being wrong fell on deaf ears. I tried to explain how your figures on just what 1gb of data will do was completely ignored when my store manager brought it to attention. He was told to keep me in the back - because I know what I am talking about.

This company is failing miserably. You make questionable decisions that only worsen situations because you are greedy, then take away from us, the employees. And you try to tell us it is a GOOD thing!?

I hope rentacenter gets bought out by aarons, which is coming by the way. Read the writing on the walls fellow employees.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment and direct supervisors are awesome. All full time positions with insurance and employer matched 401k.

Cons

Long work hours, at least 50 hours per week from 8:30AM to 8:00PM.

Rent-A-Center Photos