Rent Here Realty

Rent Here Realty Reviews

Carolyn Ridge

Moved For Love

I worked at Rent Here Realty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great staff, good location, quick payouts. Loved renting the big deals/big commissions. Great place if you like your independence. Easy place to make friends-miss everyone. I will come back if my boyfriend gets a job back in Chicago. Managing broker is fair and has great sense of humor.

Cons

CLients with unrealistic expectations. Clients who "forget" to tell you they have two dogs or bad credit. Meter maids! Park on side street. If your car is in the shop you can't work.

Buy stronger coffee. Consider paying agents a draw when first getting started.

Anything positive is planted.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Rent Here Realty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You are given a fair chance to show what you've got - at first. You can make fast money & a lot of it if you put in the time.

Cons

The management. Most of the positive reviews about this company on here sound like they came straight from the owner, Carolyn's mouth. I had never heard the term "bread and butter" uttered in that office by anyone but her or referring to a company as "not hgtv". It's a corrupt back office where she and the managers play favorites and threaten job security if you can't rent a place they are pushing on you. Carolyn essentially poaches needy job seekers from Craigslist and uses their monetary struggles to her advantage. Having seen both sides of being an agent & admin with this company and another, I can tell you that this is not somewhere you want to work. Word to the wise: Run.

Stop treating employees unfairly. We're not idiots and favoritism in the work place is unprofessional.

Organized, professional, friendly environment

Current Employee - Leasing Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rent Here Realty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I interviewed at three companies. I chose Rent Here because they were the most transparent in the interview process. I liked the full disclosure of what to expect, how I’d be paid and I also really like the vibe in the office. I never felt like I was being sold. Because I was interested in becoming a Broker I like the fact that they were affiliated with Baird & Warner. In the interview I mentioned the fact that I had seen some stuff about not being paid on this website and we talked about it in my interview. The owner showed me the agreement I would be signing. Basically says if you leave without notice or go to a competitor and try to take other agents with you will see a ding in any final commissions. Personally I have no problem with it because I have seen a couple people over the last nine months just disappear and then clients show up that had an appointment with that person and we are all scrambling to help them. If it were my company I wouldn’t pay them anything so I thing a small reduction is fair. I know this. You get paid. And if you show up and take the 15-20 leads they can give you each day, it’s not too hard to make a good living renting apartments.
      After being with Rent Here since January of 2013 I decided that it would only be fair to give an accurate description of what it’s like to work here. I am six weeks into getting my Brokers license and I’ve had a great experience. I am good at my job and I don’t need a lot of looking after. What I can say is that a good 20% of people that I see come in seem to start off good but then something happens. They’re either not good at managing their time or they come in for only a few hours and then complain that they are not making any money. Renting apartments or working isn’t for everyone. It isn’t HGTV where every person takes a place after seeing three. Like any job where the income potential is high you have to put in the work. Some days you can rent a couple of apartments and then you can go for two days and not rent at all. If you want to be a leasing agent you have to put in the time. And working weekends is necessary.
    I have become friends with a few people that work which makes coming to work more fun. It’s a nice group of people that look out for each other. Most people are very committed here and either has their leasing or Brokers license.
      I like working for a company that is fair with its customers. I meet with a lot of customers that come from other agencies where they keep their money even if they are rejected. If one of my clients is rejected they get their money back. I don’t know how I could convince them to work with me afterwards if we didn’t. All in all I like my job. I like the work and I like the people. Just wish gas prices were a whole lot less!

Cons

Clients who don't show. Working in the rain and snow

Consider opening a location in Evanston.

Successful and Enlightening Experience with Rent Here Realty

Former Employee - Listing Manager and Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Listing Manager and Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rent Here Realty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First off Carolyn Ridge, the Managing Broker is very caring and taught me a lot. I walked into the company three years ago with no Real Estate experience and feel like I walked out with not only a great sense of the business, but I took away business traits from Carolyn I will use for life. She is very generous about sharing information in the industry and giving opportunities to move up quickly in the company from rental to listing manager in the first year.

All employees are taught from day 1 that ethics and respect for others is extremely important to the company and that sets the tone for the office. The company is very good about hiring great agents unlike other agencies I had worked for in the past. A lot of other companies seemed like they would just hire anybody who applied. It was pleasant liking who I was surrounded by at RHR.

I also felt like I had more control as an agent at RHR. The owner gives a lot of control to the agents and their able to work the deal from start to finish rather than have appointment setters or receptionist get involved that sometimes confuse things which was my experience
    with the previous company I worked for.

There were also lots of fun outings with the group we did monthly or bi monthly so that we all got to know each other. That is difficult now because I miss getting together with everyone.

There are a ton of great listings. Renting higher end was fun and lucrative but renting 700 to 1200 places were really the bread and butter because they built up so quickly for a nice check.

MONEY!! I made great money from the start and had to put in a lot of hard work, but totally worth it. I miss making that much now with moving on to build a career in the fashion industry! Much less pay! : /

Cons

Real estate is not for everyone but a lot of people get into it thinking it's an HGTV show and that people will take something after only three showings. Sometimes you can rent something after one showing other times you have to show a few more appointments to rent. That was a little frustrating at first until I had a better understanding of the industry and how it worked.

Dealing with other companies (rental agencies) that listed other apartments would sometimes get frustrating too. They would want to rent the apartment so you really had to stay on top of your client to make sure you were giving them the best options and renting it before their agents did, but this was rare.

If you are not careful to confirm appointments EVERY time you may get a cancellation.

There's no guarantees but the company has a lot of opportunity to get listings.

I would say keep up the good work, continued training and working more one on one with agents. I learned a lot and really value the knowledge I took away when leaving.

You get what you put into it. Great Learning experience.

Current Employee - Broker
    Current Employee - Broker

I have been working at Rent Here Realty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great money. Great Support. Lots of people around you to like.

Cons

If you go on vacation you are not making money. Straight commission.

Let go of the people that aren"t cut out for this type of work earlier. Enjoy working for a company where the owner is present and takes the the time to offer great advice. The meeting offer great advice and information but would like to see them on Tuesdays or
    Wednesdays instead of Fridays. The bonus program is great and makes everyone push harder and the rewards are great. I think we are going to need to open a bigger office because we have added so many people in the last year.

Unfair commission rates. Not getting paid on deals.

I worked at Rent Here Realty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You have a lot of freedom, you make as much money as the work you put in. Lots of leads provided, not desk fees etc.

Cons

Owner is not very loyal to the agents and plays favorites. Once you stop working there you get paid very small percentage of your commission. They don't deserve the money since they don't do any work. Processing department is slow and unorganized. Very hard to get a hold of them to actually get paid on deals. Lot's of hidden fees...be aware clients!

Be fair to your employees with commission and paying them the money they deserve, after all they are the one running the business.

Ugh

I have been working at Rent Here Realty full-time

Pros

Tons of leads throughout the summer
    NIce way to meet new people everyday

Cons

It's apartment renting, no loyalty from potential renters (completely understandable)
    Never sure if or when you'll be paid could wait up to 5 months

Can't even begin...

Would never recommend that anyone work there.

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rent Here Realty as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Potential for decent money. Don't neccesarily have to work 9-5 schedule.

Cons

Can go months without getting paid if your rentals keep getting invoiced.
    Owner is inflexible. If you quit, or are fired, and don't stay and work for 3 days after that, she only pays you 10% of what she owes you.

Quit screwing people over for you to keep undeserved money.

Definitely not the rosey environment presented in the interview process

I worked at Rent Here Realty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity for you to learn the real estate business and get practice fending for yourself.

Cons

Owner is a complete basket case. She's a micromanager like I've never seen. She was burned once very early on in her career and will NEVER let it go. She doesn't allow agents access to the listings system from home to post listings and follow up on inquiries from clients. All work must be done from the office. She constantly reminds her agents that she's watching them, monitoring every move they make, throwing herself into their business and interactions with their clients, whether they ask for her help or not. Everyone who works for her (admin staff and leasing manager) is on a very tight leash and will support her even if they know she's in the wrong because they fear for their jobs.

Completely unfair commission payment process and rules for getting paid. No consideration for what her agents go through to help HER business succeed. And don't EVER think about disagreeing with her-- you'll NEVER win, no matter how right you are.

Grow a backbone and stand up for your agents rather than following the owner around like her lapdog.

Fast paced

I have been working at Rent Here Realty

Pros

You are afforded the opportunity to make as much money as the effort you put into the position itself. Work as hard as you think you want to and make a comparable paycheck.

Cons

There isn't much time to take for yourself. Especially when it's busy, you pretty much work 7 days/week. Be prepared to work hard on the weekends.

Management was amazing! Very laid back and willing to help when the agent is going through a dry spell. From the owner on down, they are very caring and willing to create an atmosphere fun to work in.