Rent The Runway

Updated February 24, 2015
3.3

Rent The Runway Co-Founder & CEO Jennifer Hyman
Jennifer Hyman

Pros
  • All the free dress rentals in the world can not make up for the negative experience put up with at this up start (in 6 reviews)

• Work life balance is great, unlimited vacation days, dress rentals, and everyone is super friendly (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work hard mentality, long hours at certain points of the year, but overall the hours are very reasonable (in 4 reviews)

• Terrible communication leading to ineffective work environment (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great OnCampus rep program

I worked at Rent The Runway

Pros

Freedom to develop plAns and ideas

Cons

The program no longer exists

Freelance (Customer Service)

Former Contractor - Customer Communications Associate/Stylist
    Former Contractor - Customer Communications Associate/Stylist

I worked at Rent The Runway as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good work atmosphere, everyone seemed really friendly.
    good corporate Structure

Cons

-Didn't make me feel like part of the team. They wouldn't include any freelance to take part in employee incentives which doesn't make me want to work for them permanently.
    -Hours are long, especially during busy season (holidays).

Please take part in treating everyone fair.

Sr. Store Styist

Current Employee - Senior Store Stylist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Store Stylist in New York, NY

I have been working at Rent The Runway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, they provided free coffee and snacks and the occasional group lunch. Managers are flexible with scheduling and are easy to approach.

Cons

I was told it would be a "styling" position when in fact its a glorified 'key holder" position. It would have been nice to have been privy to this information prior to acceptance because I may have gone in a different direction.

The company also seems very disorganized. While I understand it is a fairly new company there are certain practices that should be up to par before hiring additional staff.

Some red flags were that I was hired from the "outside" yet there were 3 other sales associates who knew the company in and out who had been there for a year or longer and wasn't even considered for the position. I thought maybe it was because they didn't want it when in fact the position was never presented to them.

Marketing Intern

I have been working at Rent The Runway

Pros

Fun company to work for, lots of perks. Had very interesting tasks to perform, and always loved the work done.

Cons

Rude staff, unfriendly women working at RTR who act like the grown up version of your least favorite sorority girl.

UO

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Rent The Runway part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They had a nice atmosphere

Cons

Not a flexible schedule, sometimes too many employees on floor

Very unorganized and gives temporary employees false hope.

Former Employee - Customer Communications Junior Associate - Customer Insights in New York, NY

I worked at Rent The Runway (less than a year)

Pros

We were only allowed 4 free dress rentals. They offered us snacks, iced coffee, bagels every Friday, and dinner (only if we were scheduled to work an 11 hour shift).

Cons

I joined the company as a Customer Communications Junior Associate, which is part of the Customer Insights department. The Customer Insights department is extremely unorganized and there is a ridiculously high turnover rate.

The company offered 1 week of lecture-based training, which turned out to be ineffective. It was a good thing other temporary employees, who were hired before us, were there to lend a helping hand when we started working. We were also not told prior to being hired that we would be working 11 hour shifts. Furthermore, we quickly learned that this department only cares about quantity NOT quality. The management team expected us to deliver the ultimate customer experience to every customer, but they criticized us for spending too much time helping a customer.

To all those who will be joining as a Customer Communications Junior Associate, do not stress yourself out. It is not worth it and it will only make you age faster. Every week, the management team will provide you with an inaccurate efficiency score. No matter how high your score is, it doesn't guarantee you will receive a full time offer. When I worked here, there were about 15 full time employees and around 35 temporary employees. Only about 10 temporary employees were offered a full time position. On the last day, several top performers were not offered a full time position. They went over the top for this company and they even conquered all channels (chat, email, and phones)! It made us wonder if the management team blindly pulled names out of a hat to see who they should offer a full time position to.

It is also really important to know that this department hires a new group of ~30 temporary employees almost every 4 months. No matter how good you are, your skills will not be recognized and you are replaceable. It is best to treat this temporary position as an internship. Furthermore, this company does not offer room for growth because there's no where to go.

In conclusion, this company has a lot, especially the Customer Insights department, to improve on.

• Please do not start a department contest if everyone cannot participate in it. Why tell temporary employees about the contest if it's only for full time active employees?
    • It is great that the company expects so much from its employees, but please remember that we can't meet your expectations if business is slow. It's not our fault.
    • Please wait at least a day after we leave to post our job positions online – that is definitely adding insult to injury! You're letting go of about 20 temporary employees who already know how the department runs, and replacing them with new temps who you have to train all over again. Is repeating this process every 4 months beneficial to the company in the long run?
    • If people are scheduled to work on Saturday, please stop making them work a late shift on Friday. In order for employees to perform to the best of their abilities, they need time to rest. It just doesn't make sense to have employees work late on Friday and then have them wake up early to work on Saturday.
    • Working with only girls is tough! However, Team Leaders should still be setting a positive example for everyone. They should not be making fun of other employees or customers. Please come to work with a positive attitude and leave your negativity/drama at home. Furthermore, consider a different position if you plan on ignoring people at work and you haven't had time to get over yourself yet.

Campus Representative

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Rent The Runway as an intern

Pros

Freedom to make decisions and come up with ideas

Cons

Didn't give much guidance or help for us interns.

Intern/Runway Rep

Former Intern - Campus Manager/Runway Representative
    Former Intern - Campus Manager/Runway Representative

I worked at Rent The Runway as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Worked with a great team on my college campus and had a great discount.

Cons

The rep program was somewhat unorganized and assignments didn't fit all campuses.

Plan out goals and an execution strategy that works for different types of schools

Great culture and a company that truly innovates.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Rent The Runway full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent engineering team--top notch engineers solving truly challenging business problems with technology solutions. Great leadership. People are recognized for their contributions and everyone's opinion really matters. Company is really disrupting the industry by creating a new behavior --uncharted terrain. They have a great business plan, lots of innovative ideas and a long term vision. The benefits are good and involve unlimited time off and free rentals.

Cons

No 401k matching, constantly outgrowing the physical space

Invest in training and mentoring your employees and continue to recognize them for their contributions and advance their careers. Without a strong and dedicated team things can go downhill.

Front End Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Rent The Runway full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team and culture, cutting edge technology, unlimited vacation

Cons

401k does not have matching