RentPath

Updated December 19, 2014
2.7

RentPath President & CEO Charles Stubbs
Charles Stubbs

Pros
  • Work from home makes the job a little more tolerable (in 5 reviews)

• Work from home offers the best work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No training, no room for advancement (in 5 reviews)

• The commission plan for sales people resets every year (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place

Current Employee - Marketing in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Norcross, GA

I have been working at RentPath

Pros

Smart leadership into performance and open communication. Minimal fiefdoms and true spirit of collaboration. Very metrics drive, into driving technology and maintaining industry leadership position.

Cons

People don't seem to want to push back too much. Not becuse of repercussions but out of desire to please. But sometimes you need to say no. Corp culture.could use some more organized fun. Teams all have good sense of humor but very few company wide opportunities to bond.

Add some corp sponsored fun!

It is a good job to have for flexibility but there is typical corporate nonsense to deal with.

I have been working at RentPath full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

flexibily, work life balance, hours worked, work from home, great lower and mid management

Cons

pay, salesforce accountability, upper management aggressiveness, horrible training, no career opportunities

Overall I've had a good experience with the exception of...

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at RentPath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They're a leader in the multi-family industry and have deeply invested in promoting their business to keep it that way. Their reporting and tracking system is some of the best I've ever worked with. They track all of their advertising and can prove they have an overall better ROI and CPM.

Cons

They have an awkward commission structure and it never resets itself so you can never have a bad month. I recently went out on maternity leave for 3 months due to a hard pregnancy. When I left I was at 100% to my goal, but when I got back I discovered no one had worked my market and my numbers dipped down to 80%. Upon returning they told me I had 1 month to turn it around - which isn't even realistically possible in that time frame. In addition, the company caps your commission opportunity. And for whatever reason they tend to hire upper management from outside of the organization so there's not a lot of opportunity for upward movement.

I do believe they hire their Senior Managers from within and I've always been impressed with their expertise. However, they also need to hire their Market Sales Managers from within the company so they understand the industry and needs of their representatives and our clients. Be compassionate to your employees and try not to look at them as "just a number." Set reasonable goals for the market and your team as a whole. I also believe AG needs more competitive pricing.

Working for RentPath

I have been working at RentPath

Pros

Fair compensation and good benefits

Cons

Leadership lacking skill set and professionalism to manage a company of this size,

Empower your field management and listen to what they have to say.

Highly "NOT" Recommended! This used to be a great place to work ...but things have changed for the worst.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Norcross, GA

I worked at RentPath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers from various backgrounds trying to make a career at RentPath.

Cons

Very bad atmosphere, morale and culture. I worked here 3 years and the turnover was unbelievable. I chose RentPath to be my last stop and finish my career, but unfortunately had to move on.

OMG ...the DROPS! If interviewing for a sales position ..ask about "drops." They don't tell you about them up front. You get a book of business upfront , but if an advertiser "drops" for any reason (sells out, management change, bad service, etc), then the salesperson has to "cover the drop." So, now, they not only have to make their monthly quota, but now also cover the drop, to make your full commission ...even if you didn't sell them ...even if the company had been getting paid on the account for years. You can't make money playing "catchup to drops".

I met some very good sales people that could make sales, and exceed sales goals by double ...even triple ...but still didn't make any money trying to catch the monthly drops.

Stop trying to make the insides sales team a "call center" just to pump up call (KPI) numbers. Employees don't like to make "fake calls" just to have a call show as made. They want to learn about the customer, their needs and values. Value the employees that you have and learn how to retain them, maintain them, develop them and reward them ...so they stay with the company. Turnover has got to be costing the company so much time and money lost.

Horrifying place to work. Run. Seriously.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at RentPath full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are a few great people and you get some work from home. There is great potential to advance quickly due to excessive turnover if you are willing to sacrifice your self respect.

Cons

The worst work experience of my life. Borders on abusive. Executives are only interested in short term gain so they can cash out options when the company is sold.

I have no advice short of firing everyone in engineering and starting over. It really does not seem fixable.

Sales Executive

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Charlotte, NC

I worked at RentPath full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I spent more than 10 years with this company, I loved the products that I sold and the clients! I truly loved my job, until my manager made my working environment unbearable.

Cons

I had the absolute worst manager! She was a narcissistic bully micro manager. She would cuss at me, talk down to me and threaten me with my job every chance she could. The company doesn't care how employees are treated just as long as they are producing. I was a strong producer for 10 plus years and she still won!

I would suggest that you really look deeper into how the employees are treated by the MSMs. This could really end badly for the company...lawsuits. Nobody deserves to be treated the way that I was as well as several other employees that I witnessed being bullied and cussed at. Ridiculous.

With over 100 percent turnover in employee's annually, this is a great place to work if your a sales trainer!

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at RentPath full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home makes the job a little more tolerable. I enjoyed working with my co-worker. I say co-worker because when I started 3 years ago we had 7 people in my office and there where only two when I left. And now one.
     If you work as a sales trainer you have real good job security because this company has around 600 employees and has gone through over 1,200 in the last two years.
    The benefits are OK.
    Decent products but Zillow and Trulia will crush them, and the rest of the industry, when the merger is finished.

Cons

Turnover is over 100 percent a year. Extremely high, even for a sales organization.
    The commission plan for sales people resets every year. This is OK if you have a bad year(providing they haven't fired you, remember over 100 turnover a year). But if you have a good year they roll all your sales into your next years goal but don't pay you an extra dime.
    Way, way too much work for a Sales Executive. The company has almost no support for the sale staff. Sales people end up doing everything from building ads to on-boarding customers.
    My Director was incompetent and smarmy . He was never in management before RentPath and they promoted him twice. He is the only sucker that would take the postilion.
    The CEO is a great bean counter but not much of a leader. In three years he addressed the whole organization 3 times.
    The President is a megalomaniac that is more concerned about preserving her power that generating business. She personally has to approve any discounts on contracts in an organization of over 600.
    This company is based in Atlanta so their is plantation vibe all around.
    Almost no minority working outside of the "home office" or in management. I am just saying.

A change in upper leadership is needed.
    Treat the employees like human being instead of surfs of the Kingdom.

The company is full of hard working individuals all working the achieve the company's goals.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Norcross, GA

I have been working at RentPath full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people. Stimulating work. Not a lot of red tape or politics. This is a great place to work if you are the type of person who cares about what you do.

Cons

Sometime managment jumps the gun on something before it is ready to go. I understand the need to quickly react, but sometimes a day or two of planning will save weeks of headaches and missteps.

Keep up the good work. Keep those lines of communication open.

It is good if work in certain department

I have been working at RentPath full-time

Pros

The people, vacation days and benefits.

Cons

Work hour schedule. Due to work hours, there is no time for family.

You have to know people. It is not all about qualifications.

RentPath Photos