Rentbits.com Reviews

Updated February 21, 2015
8 reviews filtered by
Dan Daugherty

1. Innovative, Agile and Fun

I have been working at Rentbits.com full-time

Pros

The people by far. Ideas are listened to and everyone is a part of the team. The new website incorporated all team members, not just management. There is ample opportunity to learn new things and take on various projects which keeps things fresh.

Cons

This is still a small company so resources can be a challenge but everyone is very clear about keeping a start up mentality, so that is to be expected.

I've shared my thoughts and feedback with management privately but it has centered around this being a great place to work. They care about my professional development and have taken interest in me and the rest of the team from a personal perspective. I feel respected here as I continue to grow.

2. Good entry level opportunities at a start up in the heart of Denver

Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Rentbits.com

Pros

The people who work for this company are authentic, solid and quality individuals across the board. There is a great culture and spirit of collaboration between people, and you can be sure to forge some fantastic relationships.

There is an environment of fostering growth in a way that supports you on a personal level. You can expect that when you make headway in your own personal life, the team will be there cheering you on and congratulating you on your wins.

The company provides opportunities for various team building activities such as outings, Rockies games, happy hours, participating in fun events within the greater start up community and just allowing generally goofiness to exist within the office space.

I consider this a great place to start your career and would recommend it to recent graduates.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of cohesion between divisions of the company and as a result, a general confusion about how each department operates. Whether it was a communication issue or not, I am not entirely sure.

My biggest complaint was the constant state of instability that loomed over the office. Management would often fire people for various reasons without warning and that created an environment of chaos which interfered with employee productivity.
    Value added advice and input from employees was often overlooked which can have a stifling effect on creativity as well as lowered job satisfaction.

There was so much constant change in regards to the companies offerings, that it was very difficult to keep up with what products were being sold. Management would roll out a new product with very little training on the value proposition so you would just kind of have to make it up as you go.
    It was not very professional and certainly did not seem thought out or well researched. They seemed to be responding to market changes, but looking back, it was just another way to drive up revenue without a huge investment of time or sweat equity. How this affected my own job performance was that I did not feel entirely comfortable backing up the products as in some cases, the value added was somewhat questionable.

Unfortunately, the company did something that left me very disappointed with them. They providing me with a gift as a token of gratitude for work I did personally as a value added to the company and then they rescinded the gift.
    This hurt me very much.

When you have identified an employee who wants to excel and provide added value, you should try to reward them however possible. Obviously the first step would be through providing added value through monetary compensation in the form of a bonus or pay raise.

Second step would be to listen to your employees. Take into consideration their input. They may have some really great ideas or insight into the inner workings of your company that you can learn from since they are on the front lines using your products every day.

Spend some time actually interfacing with your products. Some of the observations I made about management was that they were a little out of touch about the relevance and functionality of their own offerings. Still, they expected the rest of the team to reinforce value propositions that were not entirely obvious to the people who actually engaged regularly with the products.

Great leaders both serve those whom they lead, and lead by example.

I really appreciated all of your unique personalities and insights and I greatly enjoyed being a part of your team. I would also recommend never changing your level of authenticity. Please continue to connect with your employees and cultivate relationships with everyone. That is what really sets you apart from the rest of them.

My time at rentbits was memorable and will always hold a special place in my heart. I also came away from my experience at rentbits with a couple of high quality lifetime friendships.

3. Growing Market and Positive Environment with Huge Growth Potential

I have been working at Rentbits.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Over 7 years in business
    - Profitable and stable
    - Headquartered in the heart of Denver innovation at Galvanize Building
    - Positive Environment
    - Friday Happy Hours
    - Free Massages

Cons

- Smaller company environment makes is difficult to have a clear path of personal career growth. Although, being in a small company also means there is a lot of opportunity to do a variety of things.

- Company not recommended for those who want to be in a larger company, are not entrepreneurial and needs direction on a daily basis.

5. Poor leadership, high stress, low pay, and few benefits

Former Employee - Sales in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Sales in Englewood, CO

I worked at Rentbits.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Personally, I learned quite a bit about internet marketing from the company. I've taken that knowledge and moved up in my career. I feel my time at Rentbits was worth all the hassle. Chair massages and snacks were nice. I really enjoyed my peers at this organization.

Cons

Low pay, micromanagement, and many unintelligent demands were a part of the culture. Mean spirited leaders too.

I often felt like leadership members were dishonest in their business practices and that there was a low level of integrity among senior leaders. They are not interested in really knowing and mentoring their people. Leadership is very egocentric. They point fingers and I often heard them make fun of others. They don't say what they do and do what they say. There's a clear disconnect. Hopefully this will improve over time as their leadership is young. My advice would be to put your pride to the side and check your ego at the door. Just be human and understand that your teams will respect you more if show them this side.

6. Instability

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Rentbits.com

Pros

- some good people
    - pretty light atmosphere
    - perks
       - snacks
       - massages
       - occasional happy hours
    - varied responsibilities

Cons

- weak processes
    - micromanagement
    - high turnover
    - instability
       - in staff
       - in direction / initiatives
    - low loyalty to staff
    - disconnection between levels of staff

Communication and understanding of daily duties and responsibilities between levels of staff was almost non-existent. Highest levels of management expected everything out of the "lowest" rung and the highest dedication while seeming aloof and often times completely absent from the office. Was a frustrating atmosphere by the end. It could have turned around since my departure. I have not had much communication with the company since, although I know most of my former co-workers are still there.

7. Great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Rentbits.com

Pros

rentbits has a very strong culture. They believe and live their core values every day. Some for the great things they offer are:

- Massages
    - Ping Pong
    - snacks
    - stock options
    - Happy Hours
    - TGIF
    - Great team members

Cons

- Would like to see 100% of the healthcare paid for
    - Keep the free snacks stocked
    - Doesn't offer full 1 hour massages but would be nice

I started working for rentbits.com when it was Rent Marketer. There were no stock options offered at all when I started but management decided to offer them to every single employee. New and existing. This is something no other company I have worked for ever offered. For that I am grateful. Being in a fast growing start-up means you cannot be afraid of change or growth. rentbits offers both. Their culture is unique to the Denver area with a lot of benefits including free massages every two weeks, ping pong, foosball, wii, spur of the moment happy hours, revenue transparency meetings, etc. Advice to management would be to continue to grow at a fast pace while keeping the culture in place. Sometimes the free snacks (which we all appreciate) need to be stocked more often. However, we as employees need to let everyone know what they want and when it is low.

Rentbits Warning

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at Rentbits.com

Pros

Laid back
    Good employees
    Ping Pong table

Cons

Low pay
    Weak benefits
    Illusion of stock options
    Illusion of job security
    Poor management
    Free snacks are not kept stocked

My advice to all looking for employment at rentbits is to be careful. rentbits talked me into taking less pay than the market offered because of a strong office culture and stock options at a quickly growing online company. The reality was I never got my papers for stock options and was amazed with the lack of communication between members of management. rentbits uses office culture as a way to encourage retention without having to pay for it but offer no loyalty to their employees. I and three others were unexpectedly let go without warning or explanation. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

9. Not what you expect

I have been working at Rentbits.com

Pros

-Smart overall business concept, low overhead costs which are theoretically good as a stock holder.
    -Management is flexible at times to make clients happy.

Cons

-Very low pay by comparison to similar companies.
    -Shortsighted management decisions that are detrimental to company growth.
    -Micromanagement.
    -Passive aggressive management. Employees are considered replaceable.

To prospective employee - you will not make as much money as you think at Rentbits, and the company culture is not positive anymore as they make it seem. If you need a job, go for it, but it is a prematurely tired company that is uninspiring to work at. Might be a great place for someone right out of school.