Renton School District Reviews

Reset
3.6
CEO

1. Great place for training

I have been working at Renton School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is a great place to get trained to work somewhere else. Management actively supports staff being trained, though certifications are preferred over actual qualifications.

Cons

Interviews are more important than experience, and qualified people are often passed over due to poor interviews. Many interviews are done on a strict point system and, despite a candidate not being the best overall, they are selected due to winning on the balance.

Advice to Management

Rather than trying to hire or create overqualified people who will need to leave for where they can be paid what they should be, you should be hiring people who are at the proper qualification level.

Working in the RSD isn't horrible, but it's not great either.

I have been working at Renton School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to shape young minds and educate them to be citizens of the world.

Cons

The district doesn't do a great job of communicating from the top-down. Human Resources practices in this district are inconsistent and seem arbitrary. There seems to be a greater degree of politics at work here than in other districts I have worked in.

Advice to Management

Be decisive, communicate clearly and with transparency, put self-interest aside and truly make decisions that are best for children. Put your money where your mouth is.

3. It was great

Current Employee - Program Specialist
    Current Employee - Program Specialist

I have been working at Renton School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People were good pay was good great benefits

Cons

There are none so far

5. Friendly People

Former Employee - Support Staff in Renton, WA
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Renton, WA

I worked at Renton School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great. Pay is average for a school district but the opportunity for professional growth outweighs that.

Cons

It can be difficult to get the response or answer from the administration building in regards to HR questions, payroll etc. Takes a long time and numerous contacts to get an answer. Frustrating.

Advice to Management

Providing more initial on-boarding so staff know how to navigate the system more effectively.

6. Teaching

Pros

The faculty are supportive and collaborative

Cons

The pay is low and benefits are costly

7. Teachers work for the kids...the adults in this district are what make it difficult.

Current Employee - High School Classroom Teacher in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - High School Classroom Teacher in Renton, WA

I have been working at Renton School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The diversity of the student and their want to learn and grow is refreshing. The ability to really teach what you want and being able to move forward with new fresh ideas.

Cons

The infrastructure behind the RSD is broken. The HR is a joke, the professional trainings are also lackluster. The benefit plans are very expensive and the Benefit Coordinators never think it is their job to help you. If I could just teach and never deal with the district my life would be so much easier.

Advice to Management

Consider being transparent with what it is you really want. It is hard job do not make it harder by playing games or not being clear.

8. Pay is bad

Current Employee - Program Specialist in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Program Specialist in Renton, WA

I have been working at Renton School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Rewarding to work with children.

Cons

Pay for classified staff is horrible and does not make sense.

9. A great place to work

Current Employee - Human Resources in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Renton, WA

I have been working at Renton School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity for advancement is definitely there if you work hard and take risks to better yourself. The administrators are friendly and coworkers definitely care about the mission of the district

Cons

Not being a large "company", you have to really be a strong candidate to move up within. There's a lot of competition.

10. Great job fulfillment, lack of respect in my field,

Current Employee - Paraeducator in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Paraeducator in Renton, WA

Pros

Fullfillment in doing my job Respect from fellow colleagues School Safety Working environment that benefits all children Ability to develop my corriculum to fit the individual student Good Benefits Good HR Dept. Yearly evaluation to determine what I have done well in a year, or what I might do better for next year Mutual support from all of the faculty Mutual respect for colaborating on Best Practices for helping all students Allowing me to be creative in finding the bet solution to teach students who are intensive in their learning

Cons

Administration not respecting lower postitions No chance for advancement in my field Cutting back hours but expecting me from the job Always moving teaching area from year to year Not appreciative of ideas that are proven to work

Advice to Management

Respect and value scale in each field Open room for advance to employees who have proven to be of value to the District Find other ways to cut back besides driving those who are of value away Build schools big enough to provide good quality work space for the education of all childrens

11. I really liked working there as I have made some life long friends and strenghtened my teaching skills.

Pros

Great team to work for. Made some life long friends. I can take a sick day and my coworkers will cover for me. We get off all the school district holidays and off in the summer months to be with our families. Great kids and families to work with.

Cons

Topped my salary as a preschool teacher, so the only raise is like 15 cents a hour per year.

RSS Feed </> Embed