Republic Indemnity

Dwayne Marioni

Great employer, Ethical and Progressive

Former Employee - Executive in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Executive in Encino, CA

I worked at Republic Indemnity full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at RICA for 19 years in the I.T. department. I found management to be very aligned with my own style which is to treat employees ethically and compassionately and always keep an eye on the bottom line. Making these two things work together is a real feat. RICA went through some changes in the law and rating structures for CA Workers Comp and the Premiums suffered. This was the choice of management who chose to not write business rather than write business that lost earnings. This is how the company survived the 1990s after Open-rating was enacted into law.

Cons

I really cannot think of any. As is usually the case, every benefit has a downside. We were bought by AFG (NYSE) and that meant we lost some autonomy but we gained a base for infusion of capital to replace antiquated systems.

None.

Run don't walk

I have been working at Republic Indemnity full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary and good people.

Cons

Management does not care about employee's no training fend for yourself. IT area is the worst CIO that would prefer to keep technology away from people just in case they "might " need extra support. Quote "don't offer Instant Messaging to them they might complain about it" Management covers bad people and decisions to protect the chosen few in upper management. Part of a big company with a small company mind set. They will work you many hours overtime and yet no comp time for salaried employee's just part of the job, unless you are from India then you can do what ever!!

Used to be a great company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Encino, CA

I worked at Republic Indemnity full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary is very competitive if you are new to the company. Physical Office environment is pleasant. Company provides free covered parking.

Cons

No loyalty to employees. Would rather replace than retrain existing talent. No longer honest & ethical even though parent company is. Stingy training budget.

If you expect employee loyalty then you must be loyal to them as well.

Playing detective - Trying to understand how the company does it's business with not much training or guidance.

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Encino, CA

I worked at Republic Indemnity full-time

Pros

A part of a big corporation.

Cons

Hardly any training. Expect employees to discover how the company operates on their own.

Need to incorporate training so employees will know how the company operates.

Claims Examiner Review

Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Encino, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner in Encino, CA

I worked at Republic Indemnity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work. Coworkers and structure of company are good and strong. Average employee has been there 15+ years. Feels like a family when you come to work. Non-stressful environment.

Cons

Salary schedules may be less than other companies/carriers. Negotiate your salary and check out other similiar positions.

A great place to work

I worked at Republic Indemnity full-time

Pros

Republic Indemnity has a very friendly atmosphere and expresses a genuine concern for the well being of its employees. Work-life balance is a priority and they provide ample paid time off. Compensation tends toward the high side and the benefits package is top notch.

Cons

Because the company is small and has a high employee retention rate, opportunities for advancement are few. Because they are a Workers Compensation insurance company, downturns in the economy lead to layoffs and hiring freezes.

Take a closer look at the top management in your IT department.