Republic National Distributing

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
2.7

Tom Cole

Pros
  • Easy job, great people, and you're always in the know of local events (in 5 reviews)

• people below upper management feel like a family (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • they claim they care about employees and work life balance but then they dont give you vacation during holidays (in 6 reviews)

• My upper management was uneducated, so they don't really value college degrees (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

over 20 years

Current Employee - Sales Management in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Management in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Republic National Distributing full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

challenging industry, love the people, owners who care about their associates

Cons

long hours, sacrifices of lifestyle and family during high volume selling seasons that coincide with Holidays.

Ok place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Republic National Distributing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work most of the time

Cons

Micro managing and tons of pressure from upper management

Help sales people!

Fastest Growing Distributing Company in Texas.

Former Employee - Wine Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Wine Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Republic National Distributing full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Loved the job, it was a challenging position but with the support from management I was able to learn the business and fall in love with sales. They have a strong company culture, strong portfolios and business partners that continue to grow each year. In general the job had great pay, it was fun, different than the typical job, fast passed, and ever changing. I loved working alone and being competitive with great health benefits as well as many opportunities for growth in and out of the company.

Cons

The worst is the lack of work life balance, its not a great job for a single parent or even a family oriented person. Long hours, 6 days a week, high expectations, stressful, and no holidays other than Christmas day and Thanksgiving.

Used to be a good company to work for but as it grows the benefits and perks get smaller.

Current Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Republic National Distributing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love what I do when I am able to do my own job and not all everyone else's. I don't have a problem helping others out but when it puts my responsibilities on the line that is where I get a little upset.

Cons

There is no work life balance at all but yet the company stresses that they are committed to offering this to their employees but only the front office and upper management are privy to this perk.

Start treating all parts of your business the same. If you work in the back of the house you are not treated like if you work in the office.

Challenging, but worth it.

Former Employee - Wine Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Wine Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Republic National Distributing full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Can easilt grow within the company if you put in the time and effort to show you are serious about the job

Cons

Mostly autonomous work. Can be physically demanding.

It can be frustrating for managers at times, but motivating your team as a whole is always appreciated!

On premise spirits is great for entry level reps.

I have been working at Republic National Distributing full-time

Pros

The people are fun and generally positive and motivating. Working with bright, energetic people in the beverage/bar/restaurant industry is never dull. There are lots of side incentives where money driven and competitive reps have the opportunity to make extra money and move along to different positions. If the department you start in doesn't suit your fancy, there are always other avenues in which you can get your feet wet to further your career in the beverage dist. industry.

Cons

I recommend starting in an off premise or wine position where you will obtain the direct shipping experience the company demands to have in order to be promoted. Make friends, keep your business your business, and don't feed into negativity or gossip and you'll strive.

I would advise to keep it more professional. Tell your reps less about your opinions of others within the company but rather inspire them to appreciate their peers, management, and the company as a whole. Pay close attention to the reps who are tenured and dedicated with a proven performance record. These reps are the company's future if the company offers timely, well deserved promotions.

"OK" if you NEED a job

Current Employee - Off-Premise Wine Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Off-Premise Wine Sales Representative

I have been working at Republic National Distributing full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pros are basically the opportunity to learn about a unique business and my fellow sales people. Other than that, the company leaves much to be desired. Free tastings are always fun.

Cons

The BENEFITS are a JOKE! Let me start with the virtually non-existent health plan. You pay through the nose for very little coverage. You have to hit a $2400 deductible before any "insurance" kicks in. The pay is low for the expense of using your own car. No gas expense, you just get a small car allowance that basically pays for 1 oil change and 1 tank of gas a month. You will need an oil change every month working in sales here. Given the other expenses and wear and tear on your car, the car allowance is far from acceptable. The 401K plan is only matched at .50 on the dollar. Be prepared to never have time for your family during the holidays because they do not let you take vacation between 10/1 and 1/1. When I was hired I mentioned that every year I travel to Michigan during Christmas to see my family and my manager said he could work with me on that. You think I've been able to take time off over Christmas the past few years? No! So, because you cant see your family during the holidays you would think they would let you take off a little longer than normal during other parts of the year right? Wrong. You only get 2 weeks vacation and you have to wait 8 years to get another week. Come on! You blackout 25% of the year during the most family oriented holidays and then cant even give your employees a few extra days to spend with family during the rest of the year?!? They then turn around and claim that "family" is one of the company values. It's laughable! The company needs to invest in the people that actually make the company money instead of focusing on "the owners." Many of us have been looking for other work but jobs are few and far between these days, which is why myself and others still suffer at this place. When the economy starts getting better they will be in for a rude awakening with the employee exodus that will happen.

Invest in your employees! Especially a decent health plan and vacation time. I hear long term employees talk about the "good old days" before the merger. You actually had happy employees back then. Why not go back to that?

Used to be my career now it's just a job..

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sandston, VA

Pros

I do like that it's a Monday- Friday job that you're your own boss basically and you're not stuck in a cubicle all day. No nights or overnight. The new warehouse management is easier to talk to and will work with you. There's a new driver supervisor that ALWAYS puts himself in everybody else's shoes because he's been there. He will leave in his own vehicle to help a driver finish a route and do whatever it takes to help any employee. He should be in senior management. They need that type of leadership, equality, and diversity all across the board.

Cons

BENEFITS ARE TERRIBLE NOW- All around the board $2500 deductible. No work life balance. Can't take wine home. Morale is low. Nobody feels appreciated. We just do our job and go home. It's not like it was before the merge. EVERYTHING IS TOO CORPORATE NOW!!!

Warehouse workers- Some don't stay long because it feels like slave labor I've been told. Work until the jobs done...understandable. But what if you've been here 19-23 hours already...trucks aren't finished loading yet you have to stay. Eyes bulging and everything. They forget you have to drive home and you have a family too. They have gotten better with this though.

Drivers that been there for years don't have set routes and are basically floaters for "more deserving" guys to fill in for drivers on vacation(which gets old) and new hires get set routes so it's unstable- no loyalty or seniority. A router basically gets to dictate how much we make and don't make based upon what route he decides to put you on for that day ( for those who aren't "good enough" to deserve a set route" in the same area 5 days a week like other drivers). He doesn't receive any consequences from his management, gets to do what he wants, and if a driver the irritates the router complaining in person or with a call or email he can throw you wherever he wants with little or no consequence.

No real growth opportunities-- Let me explain. At any job there will be competition when there are positions available. We preach diversity and all this here we require this and that, prefer this and that. But when it's time to advance candidates it seems like all the " good ole boys" buddies gets the job. EXAMPLE: 3 candidates: You can be at the job 2 years with a GED but be buddies with the "good ole boys", you have 26 years experience as a company employee and supervisor, and you can have a MASTER'S and 12 years experience. Guess who got the job? Not the best candidate for the job I can tell you. IF YOU CAN GET TO BE BEST FRIENDS WITH THE BOSSES YOU CAN DO MINIMAL WORK LIKE STAY IN YOUR PHONE TEXTING MOST OF THE DAY AND WILL STILL GET MOVED UP.

No vacation for the last 3 months of the year and they tell you at times it's mandatory all drivers work when less than half actually do during Christmas or Thanksgiving. It's not even really that busy until like two weeks before Thanksgiving. So while our families go out of town to see family we're stuck at home sitting alone doing nothing while maybe 8 out of 35 drivers are working.

A lot of drivers noticed if you're buddy buddy or kiss up with the big boys and you're underqualified you can move into management quick but if you have what it takes you'll get the " We've decided to pursue other candidates lingo". After being here years I noticed if your skin is fair and your eyes aren't light no matter what your educational background is, how well you speak, how professional you are or anything you won't move up in this company. You will either get demoted or they'll keep you overnight so all the corporate professionals don't have to see you as the daytime face of the company ( because of course that's a bad look).

Why haven't I left yet- it's not so easy just to get another job anymore. Especially after being on a job so long and being at the top of the pay scale for your position.

Follow through with your business model. Don't say you have growth opportunities and you're for diversity if you're really not. This company would be a better place to work for if they applied some of the benefits they used when it was family owned years back before the merge. It shouldn't be all about self, being corporate because at the end of the day it's the blue collared workers bringing in the money for the company. I hope they make A LOT of changes when they move to ASHLAND!!! Like the Friday off after Thanksgiving going into the weekend to start!

Be ready to work all weekends, and holidays.

I worked at Republic National Distributing

Pros

I personally liked the day to day work for the most part. You're not stuck in a cubicle all day long. You have the freedom to run your own business/route as your own to a certain extent.

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible. No vacation from 10/1 until 1/1 each year. Most divisions will require you to work weekends, and the only holidays you get off are New Year's Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

successful company

I worked at Republic National Distributing full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Leading beverage distributor. good annual salary.

Cons

limited advancement opportunities. expected to work long hours in management with little value for family and sleep.

consider more value for family and quality of life. and 70 hours a week is more than enough for someone to work.

Republic National Distributing Photos