Republic Services Reviews

Updated March 29, 2015
254 reviews filtered by

1. The boys club. Empty promises and promotions based on anything but work.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Republic Services

Pros

Flexible hours, maybe heading in the right direction as far as technology.

Cons

Low pay, empty promises. If you're not one of "the boys" you can forget any advancement. If you're in the group, you can do a horrible job and get promoted. Sexual harassment is a common practice. Trying to keep up with the green competitor, but does not compare.

Truly look at the people running the company. Some people in positions who are not qualified and have a horrible work ethic. The term "lead by example" is the opposite of what happens.

2. We're all thinking it.....But I'm going to say it.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Jenison, MI
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Jenison, MI

I worked at Republic Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the coworkers
    Compensation was better than most

Cons

Business Unit Management
    Benefits
    Closed minded thinking

Start with the top and work your way down and deep within the business units. 20 word minimum...not enough.

Mar 12, 2015Talent Relations Specialist

We are sorry to hear that your experience didn’t meet your expectations. We strive to create great experiences for our employees and we’re always seeking feedback. If you’d like to discuss this ... More

3. I really enjoyed working at RSG.

I worked at Republic Services

Pros

Compensation, training, people, work, jeans during the summer

Cons

Culture was hierarchical, personal growth

Focus on training and developing a better culture

Feb 23, 2015Talent Relations Specialist

5. Don't work for them

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Revere, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Revere, MA

I have been working at Republic Services part-time (more than a year)

Pros

As with all companies that have multiple branches, your experience working here will probably vary with what branch you work at. So it is possible some offices are run more efficiently than the one I worked at. Also, you definitely have job security working here because no one wants to work here so they are so desperate for employees they never fire anyone.

Cons

Since I started working here, republic has acquired at least 4 other trash companies. Every time a company is acquired, it is a disaster that falls particularly hard on customer service's shoulders. There is no system in place for integrating new accounts, so it just ends up being total chaos.

I notice a lot of racism and sexism in the office, and upper management doesn’t seem to notice or care. The pay is absolutely disgraceful for the sheer amount of stress involved in the job. The hours aren't flexible at all. It’s extremely disappointing to slave away in a stuffy office for 45+ hours every week only to STILL not be able to pay basic bills. I work 2 other jobs in addition to this one to make ends meet, which is ridiculous for the amount of work I do here.

Upper management is extremely inept at doing their jobs, and unfortunately every time they fail at taking care of the customers, it becomes the customer service agent’s problem. Since I started working here I've seen multiple employees simply stop coming to work, overwhelmed at the amount of stress.

Also, the computer system used is literally from 1980. The facilities in our office are also from the 70s or 80s, some in a state of disrepair. Seriously? Having worked in several offices, this is not a modern office at all. They really need to get with the times.

You should be ashamed of yourselves. Switch your computer systems to a software from the modern age, like salesforce. Discourage sexist and racist behavior amongst coworkers. Pay your workers a livable wage. If the sales team doesn't know how to do their jobs, they should be fired.

Mar 25, 2015Talent Relations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. This information has been shared with the appropriate team members for follow up. If you’d like to discuss this further please email us at ... More

It's okay just not a job to stick with, just a job till something better comes along.

Current Employee - Driver in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Driver in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Republic Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The biggest pro for me is not being OTR. Money is okay unless the truck breaks down then your hourly wage goes down. Benefits are decent

Cons

Most of the trucks (that I have used) could not pass a DOT inspection. They have guidelines about not picking up huge tree stumps, concrete, ect, but if you do not get it your supervisor will call you and tell you to go back and pick it up any ways. They do not have very clear guidelines. Upper management and CEO is out of touch with the workers and their equipment.

Since I started all I have heard from the safety meetings talks are of "1 Fleet". I can not be successful on my route due to truck break downs, DOT violations, and uncooperative mechanics. If I wright down the night before on a VCR that something is wrong with the truck and then come in the next morning at 02:00 to find that it is not fixed because the mechanic said nothing is wrong. I will then go to the truck pre-trip it to find that there is still an air leak; I can hear it and in turn see it by the air gauge going down, the horn doesn't work, the hydraulic system not working properly, in many trucks that I have been in you have to completely fill the hydraulic fluid tanks up every day between 30 to 50 gallons of hydraulic fluid a day due to it leaking out on the route. Then when I try to say anything to the supervisors they just tell me that it is an excuse. The mechanics blame the drivers for the trucks breaking down, instead of doing their job properly.
    Here is the advice. Get better trucks. Try to listen to the employees instead of blaming them, don't dock our pay because the truck is slow or not working properly.

Feb 9, 2015Talent Relations Specialist

Thanks for your feedback. We would like to hear more about your ideas on how we can improve our employee experiences. Please contact us or your local Human Resources Representative. We can be reached ... More

7. Great company.

Former Employee - Growth Representative in Leesport, PA
    Former Employee - Growth Representative in Leesport, PA

I worked at Republic Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company. Lots of upward mobility. They really do value their employees.

Cons

I had to go to a landfill everyday.

Targeted profitable growth.

Feb 5, 2015Talent Relations Specialist

Thank you for your kind words!

8. Despicable and underhanded

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I have been working at Republic Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

401K, health care is ok not the best

Cons

Management called us out for a snow day on a Thursday. Operations made up the lost day on Saturday and they FORCED us to take a PTO or Vacation day for a day we made up. Is this legal?

Stop trying to screw your employees! You need to treat your employees as adults....stop micro-managing!!!!! The morale in the Durham location is at its lowest and supervisors nor management care, we are just bodies that they can replace. Its all how it looks on the outside, cook outs, awards dinner, family day look how good we treat our employees, but how about a decent raise, how about management, supervisors stop back stabbing yourselves and your employees! It all about covering you butt.

9. Hay have heavy Mechanics Experienced over 15 years

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Republic Services

Pros

I think is good company for me

Cons

Future for me in my family

Management is yes I work in my life

Feb 5, 2015Talent Relations Specialist

Thank you for your recommendation!

Was a good company too many years ago

Current Employee - Operator in Lincoln, IL
    Current Employee - Operator in Lincoln, IL

I have been working at Republic Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay was ok, vacation, equipment, the day I quit

Cons

Everything where to start I been working ten yrs and looking hopefully I get hired of all the applications I filled out with other companies, to begin management hire nothing but relatives and people they know for all the management jobs and best positions never giving hard working employees an opportunity supervisors retaliate if not done their way DON SLAGER wake the f-up and look at your management there is people under you that don't get paid the 7 million dollars a year like you that have a harder time providing for their families yall always talk about safety and this is by far the worst company in safety management makes you do things that are unsafe as heck and while your at work having to do it their at home and people trust me if you have an accident it's your fault no matter what it was it was preventable there all about picking up trash at all cost I got tired of typing but I can go on forever about what I seen in ten yrs and experienced

Yall are worthless maybe when they fire every manager in our district including HR for sleeping with the manager and you get your way every time I would maybe come back

11. It was a good job

I worked at Republic Services

Pros

very stable profession, good benefits and good pay. The company was one that I would recommend to anyone.

Cons

early hours....and a lot of them

Jan 30, 2015Talent Relations Specialist

Thank you for your recommendation.