Republic Services

Updated December 14, 2014
2.6

Republic Services President, CEO, and Director Donald W. (Don) Slager
Donald W. (Don) Slager

Pros
  • Good pay, good benefits, 401k w/ percentage company match (in 15 reviews)

• Decent but not great benefits that only partly make up for the rotten pay and 1 (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • You don't get much time with your family and work long hours (in 9 reviews)

• All upper management talk about what they used to do when in their own minds they were successful (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Seriously?

Current Employee - Commercial (FEL) in Arlington, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial (FEL) in Arlington, TX

I have been working at Republic Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This company has great pay (for those who can keep up with production and meet the productivity goals) that gets directly deposited into my bank account every week + the competitive benefits for myself and family keep me there.

Cons

Always too much drama and not enough action. Management would get positive results when they start promoting experienced and well-qualified leaders from within its own department that have proven success over and over again. Therefore, a definite con would be no opportunity to grow.

Commercial front load supervisor...

"the possibilities are endless...but to truly understand and appreciate the game, you would have to play it."

YOU WILL NEVER CLIMB THE LADDER HERE.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melrose Park, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melrose Park, IL

I have been working at Republic Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

have nothing good to say. i get a check every week. that's about it.

Cons

They dim your light here, instead of making it shine brighter. they smash that light bulb on the floor and step all over it to make sure that it will NEVER try to light again.
     i have applied to multiple positions within the company and each and every time, I do not get it. No one explains why, nor the tell you what you can do to qualify.

Money not worth the headaches

Current Employee - Division Maintenance Manager in Fall River, MA
    Current Employee - Division Maintenance Manager in Fall River, MA

I have been working at Republic Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are good, very liberal on the bonuses

Cons

No way to move up, management micro-manages everything

Years of service DON'T matter!

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Republic Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company was great years ago - now not many pros to discuss

Cons

The corporate lack of caring for its employees. I was a major part in building my office and was simply swept away like dirt under a rug.

quit using the divisions as a proving ground for your corporate ladder climbing narcissists!

Don't waste your time

I have been working at Republic Services

Pros

There's no pros. This company gets worse everyday. Everyone plays the blame game with everyone. This place needs a new management

Cons

They only care about there profit and not about the people that are doing the harder work. You don't get much time with your family and work long hours. A lot of two face people.

Don't be a manager if you can't do it. Your not god and don't change thing when you sit in that seat you make it worse.

One Big Joke

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I worked at Republic Services full-time

Pros

They do cook outs for the employees, but they could nix that and given us a better raise.
    401K company contribution. Vacation package is nice.

Cons

Very long hours I never got home before 7:00pm by the time I left mgmt. was long gone. Management only cares about themselves will leave you sitting there when your stuck finishing a job so they can go home. Pay sucks. My last raise was .12cent an hour and that was consider good! A lot of stress for a very low paying job. And just for the record I didn't get fired I left for a better paying position with a GREAT company.

Care about your people, stop treating them like children and look at them as professionals. Stop being so greedy with raises and only worry about your bonus at the end of the year. The GM is out of touch with what is really going on. He only looks at the numbers never really seeing the whole picture. Its all about being #1 with him.

Will work you to the bone

I worked at Republic Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Big on safety and the benefits are great.

Cons

Cut throat management that will stop at nothing to throw each other under the bus. They like to target higher paid non union employees that have earned it from long time employment and force them out by lying and getting them in trouble for every little thing just so they can fill your position with someone at much lower pay.

You talk of values? How you gonna have that when your revolving employee door is spinning at high speed or when employees can't trust anyone they work with for fear of being setup to take a fall and lose their job.

Arrogant management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Republic Services full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits that are union negotiated for the drivers. Decent pay for supervisors if you don't count the hours of service every week.

Cons

This company has many cons. I'll just state a few.
    Management treats all subordinates badly. They have lost many talented people in their office just due to their lack of respect. Middle management is bloated and does little and lower management (supervisors) have job duties that could not be possibly fulfilled in less then 70 hours a week. They love to fire drivers with experience. The churn rate is ridiculous. They have so many safety rules that if every driver were to obey all of them they would have to double the amount of routes. They selectively enforce the rules based on whether or not they want to get rid of the driver. Some drivers are untouchable but most are nervous every day.

Treat people with respect and realize that you are not running a factory here. Weather, truck breakdowns and traffic all weigh heavily on the time it takes for the drivers to finish their routes. Have a heart and realize that they work hard in the elements every day. Yes there are bad apples but making examples of good productive drivers that show up every day and finish their routes every day should be retained and not be targets for termination because they make full scale and have maximum vacation time. Loyalty used to be rewarded. Yes you have to keep an eye on them but everyone has bad days.

Ups and Downs, 7 years WASTEd!!!! Don't be fooled.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Republic Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The longer you work there, the more time of you get.

Cons

Office culture - Stressed. Worked in the Corp office. They will promote who they want to, with no rhyme or reason, the middle management often takes 2 hours lunches, work their workers to death, and they will be petty at any given time, don't ever give them a single reason to not "like" you. They will make life a living hell. The best day of my life was when they laid me off. Oh yeah, they do annual "reductions in force." If you have a family, don't expect that you will have time to see them. I was "on-call" for 5.5 years, even during vacations.

Go back to caring about your employees, instead of just making them another number in a system.

The absolute worst company in which you could ever be employed. Led by old school management that won't change.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Detroit, MI

I worked at Republic Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You have a cell phone that you luckily get to receive emails that add more work to your already stretched day.
    The five personal days, and two to three weeks vacation you receive that prevents you from totally going over the edge.

Cons

The extremely long hours and Saturdays you work. It is such a joke to look at your pay stub and see you are only getting paid for the first 40 hours you work which you usually reached on Wednesday. All upper management talk about what they used to do when in their own minds they were successful. They don't have an answer when you ask them "Why are you here instead of your former job"?

Have Slager stop having his staff post positive threads on this website. Stop promising promotions when you have no intention of following through. Daily drug/alcohol tests for Ops Managers. Establish a policy where Management and Subordinates are not allowed to socialize way from work. Establish a stronger sexual harassment policy and take away the company credit cards so they will stop taking each other out for meals.