Republic Services Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

2.7

Republic Services President, CEO, and Director Donald W. (Don) Slager
Donald W. (Don) Slager

Pros
  • Good pay, good benefits, 401k w/ percentage company match (in 12 reviews)

• Big company, great benefits, promote from within, try to develop talent (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Co-workers were scared of upper management, they were afraid they would get fired at anytime (in 7 reviews)

• They merged with Allied Waste and changed the company culture (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

The worst place I ever worked

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Republic Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A salary is above the average

Cons

A typical "New York" style management. Primitive, arrogant people treating employees like slaves. The problem of this company is multitude of managers that simply could not make it in New York. They blame everybody for they failure. This makes it a terrible place to work.

Resign, there is no chance you ever succeed in anything.

Loved my job but upper management needs better HR skills

Former Employee - Residential Driver  in  De Soto, IL
    Former Employee - Residential Driver in De Soto, IL

I worked at Republic Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay co-workers were great people and immediate supervisor was a good man. Over all, good place to work. Thought I would retire from this job.

Cons

Co-workers were scared of upper management, they were afraid they would get fired at anytime. Told to hurry hurry and then told slow down and be safe, but don't go over certain hours. They tell you to make sure to stop for 30 min. lunch, but no one ever has time to.

I was terminated because someone else backed in to my truck (backing accident!?). Another guy wrecked two trucks (totaled), and they sent him to retraining. Of course I'm 48 and the other guy was young. I think the HR Manager was afraid he would play the race card. Myself: Filed for bankruptcy

Big Company/ hard to do business with as customer or employee.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Republic Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, 401k w/ percentage company match

Cons

Limited growth opportunities, inefficient procedures, little inside support for outside reps

Restructure sales initiatives to focus on growth and true retention efforts with customer. Time wasted on collections, price increases,handling operational calls are better spent increasing revenue. Seems company has reduced headcount in these areas and expect sales people to cover. Little or no advancement opportunity. Rediculous internal paperwork constraints . Annual commission plan changes blatanly reflect company intent to reduce compensation, and increase workload. Worklife/ homelife balance is terrible.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BEWARE

Current Employee - Front Load Driver  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Front Load Driver in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Republic Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is "OK", Needs to be more though. Benefits are "OK", Nothing great.

Cons

Prepare for the end of your personal life, I get up at 1am and get home at 5-6pm. They constantly look to "wright you up" over any little thing they can find. I've been here less than a year and have seen more wright up's, 3 day suspension's, And people getting fired than I have in my entire working life. Trucks don't get repaired like they should. If it can be "patched up" instead of downing the truck and spending the money to fix it right, That's what they will do. I've been told the less they spend on repairing trucks the bigger the bonus management will get. Of course I can't prove this but I can say they don't like to spend money the trucks, I'm in my mid 40's and this is the worst truck I have ever been in. They'll preach safety one minute, Then give you a day and half worth of work and expect you to get it done, Safely, In one day. You have to run long, Hard hours and if you get into an accident you could loose your job depending on how bad it was. Nobody in management has ever told me "Good Job, Thanks, I Appreciate You", Nothing, Ever. They usually act like your bothering them if they have speak to you. Overall this is the worst place I have ever worked.

Good company in growth mode. Many great leaders in an industry which is very competitive but fulfilling.

Former Employee - Division Human Resources Manager  in  Wayne, MI
    Former Employee - Division Human Resources Manager in Wayne, MI

I worked at Republic Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities to perform as a team member of a great group. Strong expertise at all levels of the organization.

Cons

While in a growth mode, possesses a few managers who make bad decisions which effect the well being of individuals and the group.

Keep your focus, delegate the decisions and trust your good people to make great business decisions.

Life at Republic Services

I have been working at Republic Services

Pros

The company provides many trainings and offers more on their learning portal. They post various job openings across the country.

Cons

The company does not compensate for hard work, raises are very weak. Raises seem to go to people who are related with the hire ups.

Gained useful experience

Former Employee - Supervisor  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I worked at Republic Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are descent.They paid a living wage/salary. It was a great first career for me and provided valuable business lessons. I would never see it as my forever career.

Cons

There were limitations on how far you could advance depending on how much time you were willing to give up with your family. As I value family more, I knew I wasn't going much further.

You would get better, more qualified people in positions if a work/life balance was promoted.

Dynamic work environment

Former Employee - Accounting Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Republic Services full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good business given their market position and scale

Cons

Due to markets served, no ability to gain global business experience

Introduce rotational job opportunities

Wasted 6 years at this company.

Former Employee - Quality Assurance  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Republic Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The building is in a nice location with plenty of places to eat lunch.

Cons

Unless you are going in as a consultant, don't waste your time. There are groups of consultants that have been there for years. They are truly running the organization. Management can't hire them as they are too expensive, can't get rid of them because they hold all the key positions. For this reason as an employee you can count on zero chance of advancement and close to zero raise.

Educate yourself on how to treat your employees better than the hoards of contractors that you utilize. Employee morale would Improve if you would treat them with the same respect you give to the contracting groups. Trim the middle managers. Managers shouldn't outnumber the employees. A manager should be able to manage more than one to two employees.

Great Company, Great People!

Current Employee - Territory Representative  in  Winder, GA
    Current Employee - Territory Representative in Winder, GA

I have been working at Republic Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well ran Business unit by people that understand the business.

Cons

constant change, too many forms/internal coding

Simplify things. Territory Reps are spread really thin and the layers are unnecessary for efficiency some processes could be improved.

Worked for Republic Services? Contribute to the Community!