Reputation.com

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Fertik

Pros
  • Benefits - great insurance benefits, stock options and free lunches (in 7 reviews)

• Exciting place to work; Casual, fun and supportive work environment (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I was at the company during some startup growing pains (in 3 reviews)

• Effectively the entire management team has quit in the last 18 months, including the most people-focused leaders (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

It feels like home

Web Development Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsI learn something new everyday! When I settle in to my office chair and fire up the laptop in the morning I'm ready to tackle my daily tasks like it's my own business and what I do actually matters. We're given enough freedom to feel like we're part of the team. I knew I'd love the work itself because it falls within my skill set. We get lunch provided by the company everyday, stellar benefits, and a decent salary. This company is growing by leaps and bounds and I am looking forward to the future!

ConsI haven't experienced any challenges and if I do at some point the pros will outweigh any potential cons.

its great

Prosfree lunch, nerf guns, first glass espresso machine

Consno segways in the office

Advice to Senior Managementget segways with cupholders

Constantly shifting "pivots" made it very hard to know where the company was trying to go.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsSmart people, solid idea, decent execution, lots of passion. Great space - but now it's somewhat crowded.

ConsCEO is very smart, but lacks EQ. Value proposition makes sense - but "tricking Google" as your main play is a scary game to play on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementStabilize and follow a clear strategic path for at least 3-6 months.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Outsourcing Work - No Notice to US Contract Writers- Low End Way to Do Business

Content Producer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsWork was plentiful at times

ConsOutsource work; one day the tasks were plentiful, the next day the work queue would be empty. This could happen at any time during the year (where the work was outsourced) with no notice, no emails, nothing from Sky Publishers/Reputation. Christmas 2013, the work queue for contractors was closed and the excuse that there was a bug in the system was told. This continues to happen in 2014. I wished I had read the negative reviews I now see for Sky Publishers/Reputation. I would have heeded the spot on advice to avoid this company.

Momentum, and the team is great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsThe company has momentum on its enterprise side. The consumer business is growing, too, and it has been around a while. But the enterprise side is where a lot of the excitement is. Team getting better pretty much every few months. Company feels like it has momentum. People like working here. Team is cool. People are very nice.

ConsProbably need a CTO; no top leadership right now in eng Could be expanding too fast with offices in Arizona, New York, maybe even India. Hopefully it works.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the CTO. Make sure the consumer team feels the focus and support it needs to succeed as much as the enterprise team does.

Amazing learning experience

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsEngineering @ Reputation.com - great place to really get your hands dirty. Lots of unique problems are being tackled here with opportunities to kick start projects from scratch. As far as engineering is concerned this place is still a startup. Haven't yet reached "big data" scale but headed there.

ConsBecause engineering functions as a startup culture and process is still being defined. This can be a little jarring for someone who comes from a more formal background. And because most projects are being started from scratch there maybe some clash in opinions.

Amazing opportunity

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsYou will get to develop things from ground up

ConsLimited movements, single project ownership

Your data outsourced

Web Publisher (Former Employee)

ProsThe work was consistent before they started outsourcing for cheap labor.

ConsSky publishers a part of reputation.com outsources it's web publishing thru Odesk.

Good place to learn

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsReputation.com afforded me some great opportunities to learn and grow.
    It's an interesting business and really is trying to keep at the forefront of a "brave new world."
    Doesn't shy away from new challenges or new technologies.

ConsProject deadlines dictated to engineering without first consulting them, for no business reason.
    Upper management tends to get too far into the trenches.

Advice to Senior ManagementDemonstrate trust in your engineers. When an engineer gives an estimate, trust that it is not sandbagged, and don't immediately demand it be done in half the time, because while you might get something in that time frame, it won't be as stable, tested, or as long-living as that original estimate would have been. If you won't accept the estimate given until you have been explained every single intricacy and detail and issue that may arise, then you have demonstrated to the engineer that you don't trust them or their estimations.

The most difficult to describe experience to date.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redwood City, CA

ProsMost of my department peers are honest, dependable people that wanted to make a positive difference. I made some good friendships and would be honored to work with some again.

ConsThe overall experience was unlike any I have had. I would like to say it was not that bad but this is the worst company I have ever worked for. I have never worked in such a degrading, cancerous, dysfunctional environment. I never felt that the company cares about the customers who pay for the services provided. Reading through each previous review, I can say based on my experience with this company that most of the positive reviews appear to be written by the company and do not seem valid. I worked for the company for almost three years and I believe that most employees on the front line cared about what they gave each day but even among those who consistently focused on the positive, did I ever hear say how great it was to work there or talk up the management team and anyone that believes it is a great environment, is lucky enough to work in a bubble.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat management? For most departments, it was never really clear who managed it. The managers and team leads I knew of were not well qualified for the positions (in some cases the individual was the least qualified candidate) and since the company does not provide training or coaching, the manager continued to strengthen their worst qualities and bad behavior. The environment became toxic (at times it seemed that this was even encouraged.) Management did everything possible to avoid escalations and hide from angry customers instead of doing the right thing. Ethics and integrity don't appear to be included in the overall culture. The company needs to accept responsibility and address their issues. Instead they find somewhere to place blame or they reorganize and toss out staff and or whole departments like you would throw out the garbage. It appears they fear seasoned employees that actually have the experience needed to help the company succeed, the good ones wont be kept long. They need to listen to their customers and employees and accept their imperfections. They need to realize that ignorance and arrogance are a lethal combination in running a business. Mostly they need to embrace and learn from their mistakes and be grateful for the opportunity to grow and improve. The CEO would benefit by taking a course or two in humility.

Worked for Reputation.com? Contribute to the Community!