ResCare Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
2.2

ResCare President, CEO, and Director; President, Community Services Group Ralph G. Gronefeld Jr.
Ralph G. Gronefeld Jr.

Pros
  • You get to work with clients and make a difference (in 12 reviews)

• I love helping people, it is awesome feeling teaching people to do new things (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No raises for management since I started working there 4 years ago (in 30 reviews)

• A major unraveling between direct care staff & management (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Direct Support Staff

I worked at ResCare full-time

Pros

Flexible scheduling, can work day or night

Cons

Pay is low, responsibility high

Work

Current Employee - Client Services Assistant in Durant, OK
    Current Employee - Client Services Assistant in Durant, OK

I have been working at ResCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, Help other people further their lives.

Cons

Low pay for what you do.

Up the pay and have a book or forms showing step by step procedures in order to make the job easier.

The CEO need to look into the Fort Wayne operation.

Former Employee - Direct Care Professional in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Direct Care Professional in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at ResCare as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

To help the individual in which are being served. This is why rescare is in business to serve the needs of the clients, yet these needs are seemed to be put on the back burner at times by not giving staff a comfortable wages.

Cons

The CEO need to look into giving a pay raise soon. The client are going to pay the price of staff walking of the job, and are going to fend for themselves. How in the hell you just setting on all this negative reviews on this company and not trying to make something happens.

Give the direct support staff a raise. They need 10-11dollars a hour.

Upper Management is disconnected and seems disinterested.

I worked at ResCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay is average, benefits are ok.

Cons

Disorganized. No room for advancement. Very cliquey.

Show appreciation for your employees who actually work with clients, and you will retain good ones.

Respect and Care have been pushed to the side here in the name of greed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at ResCare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

After the company changed the way we received PTO, I started acruing time off at a good rate. The company is making a lot of profits.

Cons

My co-workers and I have not had a raise in 6 years. Our operating budget has been cut every year. We can't get needed updates to our facilities. We're not encouraged to think for ourselves and staff developement is non-existant. My Co-workers and I have experienced negative growth here for the past 5 years.

I am not some disgruntled employee with an ax to grind. My co-workers share the same feelings as me. We're still here because we do care about the clients and each other. We are hoping that someday things will change here and we can get back to giving the quality care that use to be prevalent here. I'm certain that ResCare as a whole is a good company, but ResCare Ohio is poorly managed by someone with no peple skills at all. And we are in the people business.

Leadership Makes A Difference.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at ResCare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Consumer contact, challenging interaction with population.

Cons

Motivation is presented in terms of financial gain. It really needs to be about service. This is the difference between for-profit, and non-profit. So, you want to know what is wrong? There is a lack of leadership, which is apparent in the poor training culture, and lack of accountability within Community Alternatives, Inc. This is a top-down problem, that is in need of correction for the people served by the company. This was communicated by me on more than several occasions, and went no where.

Work on leadership, training staff, and make a sincere commitment to it.

Good intentions with poor execution...

Current Employee - Anonymous in Valdosta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Valdosta, GA

I have been working at ResCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The individuals that we serve are by far the best part of this company! There are many great employees who strive, despite company created obstacles, to give our individuals the best quality of life available.

Cons

Pay is horrible, minimum wage for direct support staff, a couple dollar an hour increase for management and educated program managers, no raises in at least 7 years, horrible benefits (family premium is 1000/mo with a 12000/year deductible before it contributes), upper management will not back up employees of any standing, poor morale in this branch to say the least. The company boasts a 4.5 billion net profit this past year but states they don't have enough money to provide the developmentally disabled consumers a Christmas party. They are all about the bottom line and feel that every employee is easily replaceable, despite their caring attitude and dedication to quality of care.

Remember where your bonuses come from. Without the wonderful individuals we support, and the staff who pour their all into their care, you wouldn't be boasting about your profits. Showing a little appreciation, and investing in said peoples' wellbeing, would increase satisfaction in all areas.

The Company does not live up to its name.

Former Employee - Art Therapist in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Art Therapist in Richmond, VA

I worked at ResCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working with my fellow colleagues and the clients that were assigned to my caseload.
    Until I left the company I felt that my contributions to the clients treatment was valued.

Cons

Don't expect to get a raise when working for this company. I received a fairly paltry bonus during one year. The company did not send me any documentation to notify me of this bonus. During my tenure with this company employee benefits were stopped (i.e. contributions to their 401k and PTO buy back). I later discovered that hourly employees still could buy back their PTO but salaried employees could not. The remaining employee benefits, their health insurance plans, were quite expensive.

Upper management does not seem willing to meet with direct care staff and listen to their concerns about working with a challenging population or offer these caregivers support and training that would help them in their efforts.

The company name is a combination of the words "Respect" and "Care." Decisions by upper management appeared to be focused on slashing the budget to a degree that the programs' clients' were missing out on social, cultural, and emotional opportunities. Their desire to lower expenses impacts the respect and care that the children that were admitted to this particular program in a negative manner.

Program Director needs to spend time on the residential units along side with direct care staff.

Upper management needs to provide front line staff with the support and training that they need instead of eliminating the position of the person who would have provided this support and training. Corporate needs to provide funds for clinical staff to go to professional conferences.

Corporate office needs to financially recognize the talented staff that they have working for them rather than providing them a stagnant paycheck.

The making of money overshadowed the needs of consumers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Clairsville, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Clairsville, OH

I worked at ResCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The common theme among current and former employees is the love for the people we serve and support. This is it. This is what is great about this company.

Cons

Too many employees, direct care and lower management alike, are overworked, underpaid, DISRESPECTED, and taken for granted. This is why we see so many " mom and pop" companies raising up. Employees love this field, but leave ResCare to do it better.

Making money is great. We all enjoy this. Cutting corners, staffing ratios, training, and low wages are hurting your consumers! They are not getting the BEST care that ResCare brags about. Better wages, proper staffing ratio = Less turnover...better employees...the best care. Also, competent employees = less lawsuits :)

I enjoyed working with the patients and the Manager was real nice

Current Employee - Caregiver in Woodland, CA
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Woodland, CA

I have been working at ResCare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are very understanding when it comes to your family problems. There is always room for moving up if you have a free schedule. Also allow dental insurance if over 20 hours

Cons

Its an on call position until you are offered a permenant position which is very hard to balance out.

I think you guys are doing well.