Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii Executive Director Michael P. Hamnett
Michael P. Hamnett

1. Very positive. What matters is who your direct supervisor is the project/department you're working with.

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits! Health insurance, long term disability insurance, life insurance, etc. It's a state entity so you get state holidays off :)

Cons

Hiring process can be long...like couple of months primarily due to the paperwork involved.

Advice to Management

Find a way to streamline hiring process but overall...great job!!

2. Untrustworthy

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Employer contribution to 401K. Good increases and excellent performance review forms. Jobs located on all islands in Hawaii and usually there are several openings posted.

Cons

No due process or notice when you are terminated. Many co-workers let go after being relocated to Hawaii to take positions. Then, big surprise...way before end date of contract or even permanent position...they tell you they have run out of funding for your salary. Then you're stuck getting yourself and your stuff back to the mainland and finding a job. Lot's of what appears to be corruption with UH and RCUH executives.

Advice to Management

Watch our for how you handle layoffs...you are getting a bad reputation that will eventually harm your ability to recruit.

3. Admin and HR services for various University of Hawaii related projects.

Current Employee - Astronomer in Hilo, HI
    Current Employee - Astronomer in Hilo, HI

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They handle the Admin/HR side of hiring people for a variety of university related projects/institutes. You can get a UH ID card when working for them. Generally okay.

Cons

Their job application system is poor. It crashes a lot. They do not offer paid parental leave. this might be standard in the USA but its still bad. Poor on visa-related issues, despite this being a common occurrence for research institutes. Very rigid on what institutes using them can offer employees in terms of benefits/flexibility.

Advice to Management

Fix your job application site.

5. HR management is better than at the UH

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good HR portal for employees, electronic W-2, direct deposit gets set-up quickly, most HR management associates do respond to inquiries quickly

Cons

Benefits department did not respond to inquiry after project ending. They only handle HR stuff but everything else is handled by the hiring unit.

6. job

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (More than a year)

Pros

research atmosphere was acceptable in most of the time

Cons

the organization was not fully managed

7. OK but HR was very difficult to navigate

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii

Pros

Flexibility, work environment, great research

Cons

HR was unfriendly through the entire hiring process and has an unwelcoming approach to extending job offers. Appeared to want very little interaction with me when I had a lot of new-hire type questions. Has provided zero support in helping me obtain work-related training requirements - HIPAA, etc. I have had to figure it out on my own.

Advice to Management

I have enjoyed working with my research team and PI. There could be opportunity for growth here if management is willing to broaden their scope a little. I am the only RN in my department so I am having to educate everyone about my capabilities and experience as I go. I am new (just 2 months now) so we will see how it goes.

8. Disorganized management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Hawaii is a beautiful place and a great experience to work/live here.

Cons

The whole University of Hawaii system is very dis-organized and RCUH is part of the UH system that was created to side-step many state employment rules and regulations. However, there are many red-tapes remain and it is hard to get things through.

Launders money for conservation in Hawaii- an umbrella organization.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get state holidays and federal holidays off (which equals about a month a year) and the benefits aren't bad- an employer match on retirement, and decent health insurance. Also, conservation work is inherently satisfying.

Cons

Depends on the organization under RCUH you work for, but for the most part, conservation is severely underfunded in Hawaii, and your take-home salary will most likely not be competitive (for Hawaii or the mainland US) or what you deserve for your hard work.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more oversight for individual managers within this organization. My current supervisor is incredibly unpopular, but there is little that can be done in terms of disciplining this person, getting them out of the position, or better yet, getting them the leadership training they need. As a result, we've had 4 people leave in the past year who have been loyal employees for years (until this person came into the supervisor position.)

10. A good place for research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- large university with resources to match - good reputation - large diversity of research opportunities available - great place to live

Cons

- lots of red tape and hoops to jump through - not a lot of room for advancement - no real time off, but that is the nature of research - office politics can get in the way of research goals

Advice to Management

- figure out how to pay taxes out of our paychecks for stipend postdocs

Leadership out of touch

Former Employee - Research Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Flexible scheduling depending on your boss. Generally nice people.

Cons

Very resistant to change and feedback. Lots of in-fighting between leaders, and HR is out of touch. Refusal to think outside the box. Supposed to move faster than the University, but they build in so many barriers that it's hard to get things done (financials, HR, etc). Staff is not held accountable for their actions, but rather enabled to keep working irresponsibly, with little oversight. Very difficult for them to let people go, so people who haven't been productive in years keep working there, making it a very stale, frustrating environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, be open to new ideas, and bring in fresh talent! Learn to hold employees accountable, and let them go if they're not doing their job - they just bring down the organization!

RSS Feed </> Embed