Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii

Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
Updated March 1, 2015
3.3

Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii Executive Director Michael P. Hamnett
Michael P. Hamnett

HR management is better than at the UH

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good HR portal for employees, electronic W-2, direct deposit gets set-up quickly, most HR management associates do respond to inquiries quickly

Cons

Benefits department did not respond to inquiry after project ending. They only handle HR stuff but everything else is handled by the hiring unit.

job

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (more than a year)

Pros

research atmosphere was acceptable in most of the time

Cons

the organization was not fully managed

OK but HR was very difficult to navigate

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii

Pros

Flexibility, work environment, great research

Cons

HR was unfriendly through the entire hiring process and has an unwelcoming approach to extending job offers. Appeared to want very little interaction with me when I had a lot of new-hire type questions. Has provided zero support in helping me obtain work-related training requirements - HIPAA, etc. I have had to figure it out on my own.

I have enjoyed working with my research team and PI. There could be opportunity for growth here if management is willing to broaden their scope a little. I am the only RN in my department so I am having to educate everyone about my capabilities and experience as I go. I am new (just 2 months now) so we will see how it goes.

Disorganized management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Hawaii is a beautiful place and a great experience to work/live here.

Cons

The whole University of Hawaii system is very dis-organized and RCUH is part of the UH system that was created to side-step many state employment rules and regulations. However, there are many red-tapes remain and it is hard to get things through.

Launders money for conservation in Hawaii- an umbrella organization.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You get state holidays and federal holidays off (which equals about a month a year) and the benefits aren't bad- an employer match on retirement, and decent health insurance. Also, conservation work is inherently satisfying.

Cons

Depends on the organization under RCUH you work for, but for the most part, conservation is severely underfunded in Hawaii, and your take-home salary will most likely not be competitive (for Hawaii or the mainland US) or what you deserve for your hard work.

There needs to be more oversight for individual managers within this organization. My current supervisor is incredibly unpopular, but there is little that can be done in terms of disciplining this person, getting them out of the position, or better yet, getting them the leadership training they need. As a result, we've had 4 people leave in the past year who have been loyal employees for years (until this person came into the supervisor position.)

Leadership out of touch

Former Employee - Research Associate in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance. Flexible scheduling depending on your boss. Generally nice people.

Cons

Very resistant to change and feedback. Lots of in-fighting between leaders, and HR is out of touch. Refusal to think outside the box. Supposed to move faster than the University, but they build in so many barriers that it's hard to get things done (financials, HR, etc). Staff is not held accountable for their actions, but rather enabled to keep working irresponsibly, with little oversight. Very difficult for them to let people go, so people who haven't been productive in years keep working there, making it a very stale, frustrating environment.

Listen to your staff, be open to new ideas, and bring in fresh talent! Learn to hold employees accountable, and let them go if they're not doing their job - they just bring down the organization!

A good place for research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- large university with resources to match
    - good reputation
    - large diversity of research opportunities available
    - great place to live

Cons

- lots of red tape and hoops to jump through
    - not a lot of room for advancement
    - no real time off, but that is the nature of research
    - office politics can get in the way of research goals

- figure out how to pay taxes out of our paychecks for stipend postdocs

Better than a sharp stick in the eye

Former Employee - Jimar Pifsc Marine Research Specialist in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Jimar Pifsc Marine Research Specialist in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very competitive benefits. Many holidays and a generous vacation and sick leave policy. Excellent talk and good intentions when it comes to employee satisfaction and career development, but their ability to provide these is entirely reliant upon the bureaucracy and the Sponsor who is providing the funds for your employment (see below).

Cons

Orwellian bureaucracy. Low pay. My particular employment funding comes from NOAA, via JIMAR, but administered by RCUH. It is literally impossible to get a straight answer on many policies. Each entity of the 4-headed monster (the 4th head is the division within NOAA) has different ideas about salaries and anything else related to human resource policies. The buck stops nowhere.

Turnover is expensive and crippling to the effectiveness of an organization.

A fairly functional bureaucracy that works a lot better than the state government.

Former Employee - Research Scientist
    Former Employee - Research Scientist

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

RCUH is just a machine that was built to allow hring of non-permanent staff so they don't have to get hired through the State - which has to approved every position. It's inevitably a bureaucracy and soulless, but they get the job done and are staffed with competent people. I loved the job I had and my day-to-day colleagues, RCUH was essentially just an HR administrator.

Cons

Bureaucracies within bureaucracies. The state government's hiring process is so impossible that RCUH does a lot of hiring for them, but I was administered by PCSU--the Pacific Cooperative Studies Unit--yet another layer. Lots of rules.

Keep it up, or reform state government! We can't all get a pension like state workers. Lucky you live Hawaii, brah.

Professional, responsible management of employees

Former Employee - Undergraduate Lab Assistant in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Lab Assistant in Honolulu, HI

Pros

Reputable organization. HR handled my employee hiring and payroll in a timely and professional manner. Great job for a working student.

Cons

Website could be a bit easier to navigate, but it's functional.