Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii

Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii Reviews

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014
3.3

Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii Executive Director Michael P. Hamnett
Michael P. Hamnett

Launders money for conservation in Hawaii- an umbrella organization.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You get state holidays and federal holidays off (which equals about a month a year) and the benefits aren't bad- an employer match on retirement, and decent health insurance. Also, conservation work is inherently satisfying.

Cons

Depends on the organization under RCUH you work for, but for the most part, conservation is severely underfunded in Hawaii, and your take-home salary will most likely not be competitive (for Hawaii or the mainland US) or what you deserve for your hard work.

There needs to be more oversight for individual managers within this organization. My current supervisor is incredibly unpopular, but there is little that can be done in terms of disciplining this person, getting them out of the position, or better yet, getting them the leadership training they need. As a result, we've had 4 people leave in the past year who have been loyal employees for years (until this person came into the supervisor position.)

Leadership out of touch

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work/life balance. Flexible scheduling depending on your boss. Generally nice people.

Cons

Very resistant to change and feedback. Lots of in-fighting between leaders, and HR is out of touch. Refusal to think outside the box. Supposed to move faster than the University, but they build in so many barriers that it's hard to get things done (financials, HR, etc). Staff is not held accountable for their actions, but rather enabled to keep working irresponsibly, with little oversight. Very difficult for them to let people go, so people who haven't been productive in years keep working there, making it a very stale, frustrating environment.

Listen to your staff, be open to new ideas, and bring in fresh talent! Learn to hold employees accountable, and let them go if they're not doing their job - they just bring down the organization!

A good place for research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Researcher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- large university with resources to match
    - good reputation
    - large diversity of research opportunities available
    - great place to live

Cons

- lots of red tape and hoops to jump through
    - not a lot of room for advancement
    - no real time off, but that is the nature of research
    - office politics can get in the way of research goals

- figure out how to pay taxes out of our paychecks for stipend postdocs

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better than a sharp stick in the eye

Former Employee - Jimar Pifsc Marine Research Specialist  in  Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Jimar Pifsc Marine Research Specialist in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very competitive benefits. Many holidays and a generous vacation and sick leave policy. Excellent talk and good intentions when it comes to employee satisfaction and career development, but their ability to provide these is entirely reliant upon the bureaucracy and the Sponsor who is providing the funds for your employment (see below).

Cons

Orwellian bureaucracy. Low pay. My particular employment funding comes from NOAA, via JIMAR, but administered by RCUH. It is literally impossible to get a straight answer on many policies. Each entity of the 4-headed monster (the 4th head is the division within NOAA) has different ideas about salaries and anything else related to human resource policies. The buck stops nowhere.

Turnover is expensive and crippling to the effectiveness of an organization.

Professional, responsible management of employees

Former Employee - Undergraduate Lab Assistant  in  Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Undergraduate Lab Assistant in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii part-time for more than a year

Pros

Reputable organization. HR handled my employee hiring and payroll in a timely and professional manner. Great job for a working student.

Cons

Website could be a bit easier to navigate, but it's functional.

A fairly functional bureaucracy that works a lot better than the state government.

Former Employee - Research Scientist
    Former Employee - Research Scientist

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

RCUH is just a machine that was built to allow hring of non-permanent staff so they don't have to get hired through the State - which has to approved every position. It's inevitably a bureaucracy and soulless, but they get the job done and are staffed with competent people. I loved the job I had and my day-to-day colleagues, RCUH was essentially just an HR administrator.

Cons

Bureaucracies within bureaucracies. The state government's hiring process is so impossible that RCUH does a lot of hiring for them, but I was administered by PCSU--the Pacific Cooperative Studies Unit--yet another layer. Lots of rules.

Keep it up, or reform state government! We can't all get a pension like state workers. Lucky you live Hawaii, brah.

It was okay but is only dependent on grant money

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii

Pros

Good PTO and holiday schedule

Cons

has no control over management whatsoever

Very positive experience working for RCUH

Former Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good-enough salary
    - Great benefits
    - One of the most stable employers in all of Hawaii
    - Very reasonable schedule, work/life balance

Cons

- a lot of bureaucracy, but that's to be expected in an organization this size
    - Unlike most universities and university organizations, ability to take free classes is EXTREMELY limited. UH probably has the worst setup for their stuff in this area of any higher education institution I've ever seen. But with nothing else on the island to compare this to, most people probably don't realize that being able to take free classes is the norm.

Keep up the good work overall.

Allow free courses, with far fewer restrictions, to staff members. This was the weakest aspect of UH compared to most major universities. It is currently in a sad state

Flexible Scheduling and good benefits

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits + paid holidays
    Flexible Scheduling
    Good Pay
    Tuition benefit
    Great People

Cons

Research based so if you're not very interested in research then this may not be the place for you

Good benefits

I have been working at Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii

Pros

An additional 10% employer contribution to retirement.

Cons

Although not as bad as UH, there is still associated bureaucracy.

Worked for Research Corporation of the University of Hawaii? Contribute to the Community!