Research Electro-Optics Reviews

Reset
2.0
CEO

1. Frustrating

I have been working at Research Electro-Optics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are very flexible with hours. As long as you are working when you are there they are very understanding about being late or needing to leave early. Just get your 40 in and they pretty much don't care. My starting wage was high and they gave me a chance at my position even though I probably wasn't fully qualified when I started

Cons

They are really bad about raises, no bonuses since I've been there. Although they started me high they make up any excuse they have to to make sure you don't get much for a raise.The departments are constantly opposing each other and there is very little team work. Its like they only care about their own department and have a hard time see it from other's points of view. While some managers are good or even great, I would say that most are not.

Advice to Management

They management is really poor about working together. There are too many managers for the size of the company and they are all constantly in meetings. There is a lot of talk and very little done by most of them that I have seen. They make plans behind closed doors and when they finally make up there minds it is a half developed idea that doesn't make sense. They don't like the opinions of the regular people and then just tell them to jump when they finally say go. It can be very frustrating.

2. Horrible Company STAY AWAY!!!

I worked at Research Electro-Optics

Pros

That I don't work there anymore

Cons

- Very poor Management
    - Resistant to Change
    - Very bad culture
    - Bad benefits
    - Bad Processes
    - Cheap (even the coffee is bottom of the line...seriously)
    - Wish I could give it zero stars

Advice to Management

- You need fresh management and allow new employees to actually contribute. Don't hire smart people if you can't hear things are outdated and need to change
    - Fix the culture. The culture is broken. No ones helps each other. It's like pulling teeth to get any support
    - Focus on one thing at a time. People are pulled all different directions leaving everyone lost.
    - Be upfront and honest about the true culture and status of the company.
    - Invest in new systems which integrate with each other. You can't use SFDC (salesforce) and then a 20+ year old ERP system which can't integrate with each other. This leads to double entry and bad data. So much so you're literally shipping wrong products to wrong customer....

3. Great People creating a great environment to work in.

Former Employee - Technician in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Technician in Boulder, CO

I worked at Research Electro-Optics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great teamwork among the hourly personnel. Management fosters confidence with their hands on approach, the CEO even speaks 1 on 1 with employees.

Cons

Fluctuating work and material flow creates uncertainty of day to day work load and work day or work week length. More Chiefs than Indians fosters a can't make timely decisions environment which complicates day to day operations.

Advice to Management

Take the "Yoda" approach of do or not do, there is no try. decisions should be made on applicable knowledge versus theories from a MBA syllabus.

5. Employees are about equally valued as assets and liabilities at REO.

Former Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Research Electro-Optics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance; most supervisors here set the productivity bar high without imposing excess pressure. Relatively easy work to transition into if you are technically minded and don't have previous optics-specific experience.

Cons

The overall culture here is somewhat institutionalized and has difficulty keeping pace with industry developments. Management's answer to every business challenge usually begins with a layoff (a minimum of 2 per year in my 5+ years with the company). Other types of attrition are high as well. Extremely limited opportunities and little attention to advancement or career growth.

Advice to Management

Share the fruits of success with all employees, not only the pains of failure. Recognize exceptional individual contributions, cooperation and teamwork. CEO needs to behave more respectfully towards employees.

6. OK job, but the short-term focus and disfunctions make it a difficult place to build a meaningful long-term career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Research Electro-Optics

Pros

Good mid-level optics technology capabilities and expertise.
    Large variety of opportunities for technical problem solving.
    Fast-paced, high-throughput work environment - you won't get bored.

Cons

An overtly conflicted and disjointed management team - they were just never able to pull themselves together.
    Minimal investment in employee development, recognition and performance management.

Advice to Management

Improve balance between short and long-term objectives.
    Increase investment in high-value technical staff and equipment productivity improvement.
    Focus managment team.