Research Foundation of State University New York

65 reviews filtered by
4.0
Research Foundation of State University New York President Dr. Timothy Killeen
Dr. Timothy Killeen

Pros
  • Very competitive salaries and above average benefits with great work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and friendly co-workers (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • not very good job security since the job is grant funded (in 2 reviews)

• No job security if you are a researcher (in 2 reviews)

1. Hassle free experience

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Albany, NY

I have been working at Research Foundation of State University New York

Pros

No red tape bureaucracy and quick reply from management

Cons

None that I can actually think of

2. Graduate RA

I worked at Research Foundation of State University New York

Pros

Benefits, Work Life, Salaries, Personal Growth

Cons

Noting much. Doesn't apply to RA's

N/A

3. Research foundation is okay to work for, but as a graduate student you wont' receive any of the benefits for it.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Albany, NY

I have been working at Research Foundation of State University New York full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Okay, low cost insurance. As a graduate student you have an employer that's not your PI which can be very valuable if working for a tyrant that won't let you graduate.

Cons

Every major decision is up to the university you're at, not SUNY RF. This also creates situations where several different SUNY RF employed graduate students will have wildly different salaries. Also, as a graduate student you won't accrue any benefits that you can use unless you then work for SUNY RF.

More transparency would be nice. A better idea what benefits SUNY RF provides versus just being employed by the university.

5. Good place to work. Never boring and good benefits.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Binghamton, NY
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Binghamton, NY

I worked at Research Foundation of State University New York full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting work and day to day activities and good compensation and benefits.

Cons

My role was very independent and had little supervision or direction.

All employees should have a complete job description; orientation and training.

6. Very poor training program

Former Employee - Teacher in Binghamton, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in Binghamton, NY

I worked at Research Foundation of State University New York (less than a year)

Pros

The employees are very nice, although many are 'reserved'.

Cons

Training is very poor. No clear, comprehensive training program in place and I say that as having been through training and inservice at other places in comparison. Pay is not very good, benefits are nice. A very 'closed' work environment, insulated would be a better word. The real focus is maintaining the data, not to develop a nurturing caring relationship with the students. A very cold atmosphere.

Training and Inservice is very poor. Expecting a novice employee to pick up and succeed at the very intricate, almost mindnumbing process of conducting SDs with students is very unrealistic. Clearly there is a reason for the large turnover of staff. Very contradictory, oftentimes being told one thing one day and something completely different the next. Frankly, one of the least enjoyable experiences in my professional career. Perhaps sensitivity training should be implemented.

7. Stony Brook

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Stony Brook, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Stony Brook, NY

Pros

The benefits at stony brook university are very good, including health, dental, vision, and a 6% contribution to retirement. Although I had many frustrations getting basic things done (see below), there are a number of good people who keep the place together.

Cons

The infrastructure is falling apart, it's extremely difficult to get things repaired (e.g. leaking pipes, ripped up floor tiles, broken equipment). I complained that our faucet were leaking, they came in and took off the faucet. I called the next day, they came back a couple day's later, spent 5 minutes looking at it then said they don't have time to look at it properly. Meanwhile the original reason it was leaking went undiagnosed, and the lab was flooded. The benefits are great, but had several issues, including my health benefits being dropped for no reason for 6 months (only realized when I tried to make an appointment and my insurance wasn't accepted), and another time when I switched funding they made me wait 42 days... apparently it's the law in NY that your old insurance needs to be active for that time period. When I asked why I wasn't they said they couldn't help me because it was the responsibility of another person at HR. These type of things happen frequently around here, and we call that getting 'stony brooked'. Also the 'updates' including wolfmart and HR are a nightmare. Doesn't help that the former governor Pataki pushed through an aggressive eminent domain grab of flowerfields, and left us stuck with 125 million dollar bill once the courts deemed the original 25 million unjust.

8. I&P Intern

I worked at Research Foundation of State University New York

Pros

Great place to work. Team oriented and friendly staff.

Cons

Managers assigned different work without communicating about the intern workload.

9. Research
    Assistant

Current Intern - Research Assistant in Albany, NY
    Current Intern - Research Assistant in Albany, NY

I have been working at Research Foundation of State University New York as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

Great Work Culture and good team to work.

Cons

Not many. Everything is good for an intern like me.

Nothing

10. Intern

Current Intern - Intern in Albany, NY
    Current Intern - Intern in Albany, NY

Pros

Exposure to different aspects of the company, strong learning and development culture, and great work-life balance. You are invited to actively participate in meetings. Work load and difficulty of assignments increase according to your engagement and willingness to go above and beyond.

Cons

During the off season (during the normal school year) you have to be proactive in order to get the exposure you want. Just showing up to work everyday and waiting for someone to hand you as assignment can sometimes leave you bored and waiting around on people to remember you.

11. Good place

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Research Foundation of State University New York part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nice research lab, has equipment to do a lot of testing, good environment, nice and helpful colleagues and has a great coffee machine

Cons

More independent research could be pursued instead of company sponsored testing projects. Although there is company sponsored work, a lot more translational research could be pursued.

Research Foundation of State University New York Photos

Typical bench space in molecular biology lab

+ Add Photo