Research Foundation of State University New York

Reset
4.2
Research Foundation of State University New York President Dr. Timothy Killeen
Dr. Timothy Killeen

Pros
  • Very competitive salaries and above average benefits with great work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• I was always paid on time and the workers were all very kind (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Also no room for promotion without extra funding in the account (in 2 reviews)

• More independent research could be pursued instead of company sponsored testing projects (in 2 reviews)

1. Grad student research assistant

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Stony Brook, NY

I have been working at Research Foundation of State University New York full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good environment to study suburban but located near NYC

Cons

Need at least 5 years to get a phd degree in my case

Advice to Management

Not at all

2. Stony Brook

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Stony Brook, NY
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Stony Brook, NY

Pros

The benefits at stony brook university are very good, including health, dental, vision, and a 6% contribution to retirement. Although I had many frustrations getting basic things done (see below), there are a number of good people who keep the place together.

Cons

The infrastructure is falling apart, it's extremely difficult to get things repaired (e.g. leaking pipes, ripped up floor tiles, broken equipment). I complained that our faucet were leaking, they came in and took off the faucet. I called the next day, they came back a couple day's later, spent 5 minutes looking at it then said they don't have time to look at it properly. Meanwhile the original reason it was leaking went undiagnosed, and the lab was flooded. The benefits are great, but had several issues, including my health benefits being dropped for no reason for 6 months (only realized when I tried to make an appointment and my insurance wasn't accepted), and another time when I switched funding they made me wait 42 days... apparently it's the law in NY that your old insurance needs to be active for that time period. When I asked why I wasn't they said they couldn't help me because it was the responsibility of another person at HR. These type of things happen frequently around here, and we call that getting 'stony brooked'. Also the 'updates' including wolfmart and HR are a nightmare. Doesn't help that the former governor Pataki pushed through an aggressive eminent domain grab of flowerfields, and left us stuck with 125 million dollar bill once the courts deemed the original 25 million unjust.

3. Graduate Research Assistant

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Stony Brook, NY

I have been working at Research Foundation of State University New York part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stony Brook University locates in beautiful Long Island. SBU is a research University. You can enjoy multidisciplinary research environment here.

Cons

If you are interested in attaining any conference in NYC. it takes two hrs train to NYC. Cost of living is high in long island.

5. Graduate Research Assistant

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Stony Brook, NY

I have been working at Research Foundation of State University New York full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great value for graduate education

Cons

Pay is too low for New York

Advice to Management

Increase pay to attract quality students

6. Research Assistant

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Stony Brook, NY

Pros

The Research Foundation (RF) board of directors manages the operations of the corporation in accordance with its stated mission and purpose. oveall Job is very secure

Cons

Pay is meager, bordering on minimum state wage

7. I get a salary to get my PhD, and the department pays for my classes. I can't complain.

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Stony Brook, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Stony Brook, NY

Pros

Good benefits, makes it affordable to live in Long Island and go to school.

Cons

The paperwork is a little silly, and direct payment isn't always an easy process.

8. Exploiting to the most, a graduate student who wants some money!

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Stony Brook, NY
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Stony Brook, NY

Pros

The senior management is very systematic and hassle-free. You get paid on time. The technology and expertise that I had access to were great. You can do "quality" research!

Cons

Highly highly underpaid! Senior management (i.e. the management directly higher than you) knows how to work your psyche well - i.e. Asians are overworked much much more than the rest, since they understand their greater need for the moolah. Hardly any leave. NO paying overtime. The concept is simply absent. You work like 70 hrs a week, and still paid the same baseline.

Advice to Management

Pay for overtime hours. Make it a strict hours-worked to pay policy.

9. Good

Current Employee - Graduate Researcher in Stony Brook, NY
    Current Employee - Graduate Researcher in Stony Brook, NY

Pros

No problems at all for this U, I relatively like to stay in this University and happy my journey in it.

Cons

It needs a better undegraduate program to provide a future genenration of back up for the graduate level research

Advice to Management

fewer people are needed in the documency as well as those people are benefit due to the public school restrictions.