Research In Motion

www.rim.com

Research In Motion Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Research In Motion – Sunrise – “RIM Office”

Overall a good place to work, with some leadership issues.

Engineer (Former Employee) Rolling Meadows, IL

Pros- salary is at or above market
    - most co-workers are good to get along with

Cons- good and honest leadership is lacking; i was told i was safe, then got laid-off a month later.
    - workers are over-worked
    - lack of growth opportunities

Advice to Senior Management- listen to employees.
    - don't just pretend to listen when conducting employee review

There were some talented people there but middle management was not supportive.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere were some supportive and talented colleagues.

ConsToo late to get serious about touch screen devices. Email and BBM (BlackBerry Messenger) was not enough to keep people from switching to iPhone and Android.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have taken iOS and Android seriously.

Good company to work for but reality is its sales is collapsing

Senior Developer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prostechnology focus, flexible working environment and competitive compensation

ConsManagement executives do not perform well in major market - north amaerica.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to US major city and listen to general consumer's. A product with future is for the people, by the people and from the people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Materials Operator for the Warehouse

Warehouse Material Operator (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat work atmosphere and team environment

ConsCompany is pulling out of Waterloo

Used to be good...

Relationship Manager (Former Employee) Paris (France)

ProsGreat products, software, employees. Salary good

ConsNo anticipation, no future, no influence on WW decisions

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on enterprise / security

Overall was a great place to work!

IT Service Delivery Management (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsThe wealth of knowledge and experience there to learn from is amazing. Not only did I meet and work with some of the smartest people in the industry, but they were always willing to share their knowledge with those around them.

ConsLike any large enterprise business, some things were slow on the uptake, yet other things were painstakingly obviously needing quick changes to make it in the economic downturn that was taking shape. Unfortunately, straight from the top there was a lack of desire to make the changes that were necessary for the success of the business until it was too late and the company image had been damaged.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook to other tech giants for marketing strategies. Not enough marketing and advertising has been done for the products that are available. This alone can and most certainly will turn around the public perception of the company.

it was a great early experience to learn from.

ProsGreat learning, food, team work and location

Consnot much I can think of

Great place to work with tons of very intelligent people

Software Developer (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGot to work on software that millions of people use on a daily basis and had the opportunity to create major features.
    Amazing team of developers and testers
    Best co-op experience

ConsLocation is really terrible if taking the bus.
    Not enough parking if coming in later in the morning, probably not the case anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees equally, not give preference one team over another. The whole deal with some teams getting catered lunches every day while others not allowed to was ridiculous.

Manufacturing Engineering in Waterloo

Manufacturing Engineering Intern (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsInternship with a large degree of autonomy. Literally, you have the capability to do almost whatever you want while you worked there, so how much you got out of the internship experience is up to your initiative.

ConsNot too many cons, at least for an intern. Sometimes your supervisor doesn't have things for you to do and therefore you have to take absolute initiative for things to do. As per the pros, this does offer you a large degree of autonomy- as long as you complete whatever tasks you were given, you literally had the rest of the day to do everything from closet cleanup to time studies, quality reports and even assembly line planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's really not much to share since at this point, it's clear that RIM (BlackBerry) has lost its grip on the consumer market. That's not so much the fault of the manufacturing side of things, as product development engineering and management dropped the ball. The manufacturing side is quite competent and comparable to many other world class organizations that manufacture and assemble electronics, particularly since this was one of the few locations in Canada that actually assembled so close to world HQ.

No career paths

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay, understand family work balance, flexible work hours when the need arises, etc.

ConsNo career paths to enable employees to move to more challenging positions with better benefits.

Worked for Research In Motion? Contribute to the Community!