Resource Action Programs

Updated Nov 16, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joseph Thrasher

A great place to work!!!

I have been working at Resource Action Programs full-time

ProsI just have to say that breakfast Friday is amazing! Every Friday breakfast is brought in and with the work week being Monday through Friday it's wonderful to have this at the end. The group of people working at RAP are wonderful, all true-blue people that want to make a difference. It has been great working with colleagues that are so thoughtful and caring for the environment and each other. I've learned a lot in working here which has been incredible, and through this I've been able to reduce my energy bill a great deal. It's a great place to work hard, because people will notice and appreciate what you have to contribute.

ConsI don't have anything negative to say about RAP. The negative side about any business are negative people, but those can be found anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work. I like being part of a business that shares what's going on with all employees and departments, it really has helped create a team feeling. Thank you for having the weekly meetings.

Honest, positive, hard-working group of people.

I have been working at Resource Action Programs full-time for more than a year

ProsWe all work together to produce an excellent product to educate students and create an energy-efficient awareness. Each member of the team is valued. At weekly meetings, we are able to see how individual members contribute to the success of the whole. We are a proud group!
Management is generous and considerate; the lines of communication are always open. Mr. Thrasher, in particular, is patient and level-headed. When mistakes occur, he addresses the employees involved, and considers the "event" a learning experience. All employees work hard for him because he is fair, dedicated, and has a great sense of humor.

ConsTime crunches arise, sometimes at the last minute.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Resource Action Programs full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking here has been a great experience. I have learned a lot from my time here. I have been able to advance within the company. Management has constructive criticism to help me be better at my job. Communication within departments has become much better. The work environment is serious when necessary and fun at times as well. I feel company goals are realistic.

ConsThe long hours can be hard at times however they are necessary. I don't have much to say that is bad or negative about the company because I feel that I have been treated well and have not had any negative experiences.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe better you get to know your employees the more comfortable they feel. I think that leads to employees wanting to work harder and do a better job because they feel like they are appreciated for their hard work.

Excellent growing company, great pride in service, 100% customer satisfaction!

I worked at Resource Action Programs

ProsFast paced environment, great place to learn, skilled staff, team players in every department.

Consnot much time to sit and relax, must be willing to work hard, no place for slouchers and slackers

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pace with an every changing competitive business environment! Be willing to get aggressive when necessary to crush competitors.

RAP has a great mission: educate kids and families on how to conserve energy and water

I worked at Resource Action Programs full-time for less than a year

ProsResource Action Programs has a challenging and demanding work environment. A lot is expected of its employees, and with good reason. RAP's mission is to education kids and families about energy and water conservation. How great is that? Also, every Monday, RAP leaders held a company-wide meeting to inform employees about current and future initiatives. This reduced rumors and ensured everyone understood company policy and direction.

ConsThe company is located in eastern Sparks, and westbound traffic to Reno is heavy. This isn't RAP's fault, but it's the only con I remembered having.

Advice to Senior ManagementRAP does programs in Nevada, but it would be great if these were expanded in size and scope.

This was the worst company I have ever worked for!

I worked at Resource Action Programs full-time for less than a year

ProsTheir concept of the product is good. The company could grow and be successful if they would make some intelligent decisions.

ConsIt's all about the money coming in and quotas to be met. No employee development and horrible communications keep everyone working in chaos. Management says they want to listen to employees and work smarter, but that is only lip service. If you keep your head down and do as you are told, can deal with micro management at its' worst, then you might be able to keep a job. It's more about who you know in the company then how you do your job.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from your mistakes instead of doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Hire qualified people and then let them do the job they were hired for. One person can't know or do it all.

Do not work here

I worked at Resource Action Programs full-time for more than a year

ProsI have no positive things to state about this company.

ConsSlave Driver Mentality from management. Little to no communication from Management to lower level workers. Rampant office politics and gossip circles. Benefits are the most expensive I've ever had and provided the lowest level of coverages

Good, challenging work place - simple as that.

Reno, NV

I have been working at Resource Action Programs

ProsIt's good to work for a company where they expect a lot, push you to grow, and constantly challenge you. For me, one of the most motivating factors is seeing how hard my boss works and how much effort he puts in.
The company does little things to help make it a positive work place, such as breakfast on Fridays, lunches at the end of busy months, and random events.
Overall, it is a great place to work and grow.

ConsHonestly, the biggest downside is negative people on sites like this. The only way I can think to explain it is through a food analogy. When you have a good dinner somewhere, you just enjoy it and move on. Whereas, if you have a horrid experience, you tell everyone and then you tell their sisters. You make sure everyone knows. I think that's what is happening here. Obviously not everyone will fit in the working environment, and so there are bound to be people who are disgruntled.
Those people who are happy and who voted Resource Action Programs a finalist for the best places to work are clearly doing well.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management: get to know people. Make sure you listen to and acknowledge the people in the company. Everyone has a value to the work flow of the company and everyone has ideas and something to contribute.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Resource Action Programs

ProsWorking with this company, I have not only learned a great deal, have been given the opportunity for growth and upward mobility, but I have also grown as a person. There is no unfair treatment and managment does not rule by fear and threats. They do, however, expect their employees to be professional. This includes coming into work on time, staying until the job is finished, appropriate work attire and it's not too much to ask for100% job performance. All of this is included in the handbook that is handed out in the beginning of employment. In this down economy, how many employers sponsor annual golf tourneys, pay for basketball teams, softball teams, pays for family outings such as Reno Aces games, Wolf Pack games, picnics, and hikes? Not to mention paid time off from Christmas through New Years on top of your vacation and sick leave?

ConsThe only cons about working here are having to work with ungrateful co-workers. Maybe all of the negative reviewers, will find a more rewarding career in burger flipping where hard work and effort are not necessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart hiring employees that want to work and will give 100% to the company, instead of those that obviously don't care and are only working for a paycheck...

Avoid working here at all costs.

I worked at Resource Action Programs

ProsThere are a select few competent and friendly employees, but they have given up on attempting to create efficiencies in the workflow and improve materials this company creates. Management is so resistant to change that improvements are impossible. The only good thing I can say about Resource Action Programs is that since they don't provide utensils or paper plates, it makes every lunchtime an adventure if you bring food from home.

ConsThe type of shoes you wear is more important than any skill you bring to the table. Change is met with resistance. Employees are ruled by threats and fear from management. You might get fired for wearing a v-neck that resembles a t-shirt in any way on casual Friday. Employees who have been with the company for any length of time are indifferent after years of being unappreciated, overworked and looked down upon. Extremely high turnover. Depressing work environment. The company does not care about education, even though they create educational materials. Materials are quickly pushed through and sent out to teachers and students with glaring typos because there is no reliable proofing process put into place across all teams. There is also no project management or tracking on the design side of projects. Everything is a rush - and you WILL have to do whatever it takes to get it done, even if that means working a 14 hour day - dinner will not be provided, by the way. The company does not seem to concern themselves with customer service, being a leader in their industry or the well-being of their employees. Avoid working here at all costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with the people you hire and stop misrepresenting positions to potential employees. It's their life you are playing with. For example, if someone leaves a job for the perks you advertise, and then you don't come through - consider how that employee will feel after realizing their job is nothing like what you said it would be. Don't promise them the things they are looking for in a job if you are unwilling to provide those things. Also, the multitude of strict rules makes your employees feel like cattle instead of human beings. Treat people like people. Let them utilize the skills you hired them for....or what you told them you hired them for, anyway. Start listening to your employees who do happen to know what they're talking about. Create an environment which rewards forward thinking and enthusiasm towards improving (or starting) processes that will create efficiency and happiness in the workplace. Certain people work harder, faster and better when given an opportunity to put themselves into the project and be heard for their innovative ideas and realistic concerns.

Worked for Resource Action Programs? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Resource Action Programs reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Resource Action Programs CEO Joseph Thrasher. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Resource Action Programs employees.