Resource Data Inc

Resource Data Inc Reviews in Anchorage, AK

Updated May 3, 2014

Jim Rogers

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent place to work, flexible and really cares about employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsIf you work hard, do quality work and have ambition, you will be rewarded handsomely at RDI. They are very good about letting you guide the kinds of work you want to do, and then environment is as laid back as you will ever see in a business of this size. Salary is in line with other companies, benefits are good and getting better every year, and the HR department is the most active I've ever seen and genuinely cares about employees.

ConsNot as much leave time or retirement contribution as the clients that you will be working for. Management is almost too relaxed in a way, and though it is part of the company's desired culture, it leads to communication problems between workgroups at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease PTO and retirement contributions, establish clear paths to shareholder status for all employees, not just Programmers, GIS and Project Managers. Reward fast-achieving employees with interim reviews/raises instead of waiting until the annual review.

Great place to work; plenty of growth opportunities; sane management

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsRDI really commits to employees who are committed to the company - there is a lot of room to grow your career and to take on responsibility.

The company is growing, which is creating a lot of space for advancement.

RDI has a serious commitment to work/life balance - flexible schedules, remote work, leave without pay, and a company culture that does not encourage overwork. The retention rate is high.

ConsPay and benefits are kept at average levels for consulting companies - so RDI is mediocre there. Non-salary benefits have been improving in the last two years, but health insurance is still just OK. The leave-without-pay benefit often only works for employees in a financial position to use it. The paid leave is slightly below average for technology positions, mostly because there are so few standard holidays.

Working at RDI comes with the standard drawbacks of consulting, but the company does a good job of balancing its clients' needs with its employees.

Great company

Senior Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsThe company genuinely cares about its people. The transparency and honesty is impressive. You get input on which project you work. There is a good culture of smart and dedicated people.

ConsLike any consulting firm, your experience working there will largely depend on the project you are working on. Some are better than others. They mitigate this by allowing you to move to different projects within reason.

They do the best they can, but the health insurance is expensive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work-life balance, some interesting work, mediocre pay, little upward mobility.

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsThere are a few really smart people there and if you are lucky enough to be on the same projects it can be a great learning experience.

For coders, they have some interesting/challenging problems to solve.

Work-life balance is really good.

The company is very willing to invest in people fresh out of college with no real-world experience. It's a great first job.

Developers are provided with good hardware and all the necessary tools.

ConsI've notice that employee experience can vary wildly, dependent upon the projects you're first placed in.

In my opinion, the promotional structure is odd. Upper management feels that you should already be filling a role to be promoted into it. You likely won't ever get promoted unless you force their hand and if you ask for a promotion outside of annual review time they'll tell you to wait for your review.

Turnover rate seems high which really hinders any greater sense of community.

Pay isn't the best. Benefits aren't great.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-think the process of promoting. In my opinion, employees should be promoted when upper management wants to reward and challenge them, it doesn't seem like this is currently the case.

Work to change this culture of "nothing happens unless it's your review." Even if it's not entirely accurate (though I believe it is mostly), many employees feel they have to wait for their review for anything to happen.

Take some time to analyze RDI's turnover rate and try to determine what is causing it.

Excellent Work/Life Balance - Highly Competent Colleagues

Project Manager (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsRDI is very committed to its clients and devoted to the concept of work/life balance

ConsYou will not get rich working here, but you will grow professionally if you are hungry to learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open minded to new ideas and improve web site.

Exceptional company, great business model, care about their employees as individuals

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsFlexibility, broad range of projects, the company managers are incredibly thoughtful and work with you to make sure the fit between you and your projects is the most ideal it can be. The company doesn't hire for projects, they hire because you are one of the best and that's all they take. Great teammates, most capable company I've been with.

ConsPay is not as high as it is with larger consulting companies located in Anchorage; benefits are expanding but leave some things to be desired; vacation accumulation rates seem low

Great Company to work for

Senior Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsAlways new projects, lots of vacation time, flexible work environment. Management cares about people. Very stable. Very moral company.

ConsPay isn't as great as some large companies.

Work life balance? Check. Close-minded? Check

Project Manager (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsRDI has a consistent culture and hires great people. They are focused on being consultants and so billable % is important, but not usually brought up. They are very flexible and treat their employees with respect, honoring vacation requests and flexible time. No politics.

ConsThey don't really embrace new technology; look for the known, proven solution. Open source is not used there much at all and generally discouraged. Opportunities for advancement are limited in the corporate sense (company is organizationally flat) and main career opportunity is to become a project manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in developing more of a corporate technology culture.

A fair and honest employer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsPeople get treated well, and the opportunities vary by what you want to do. The project work is generally interesting, and there is an effort to get people matched to projects that they are interested in that advance their career.

ConsThere is always room for improvement in communications. Sometimes the vision and direction could be more clearly communicated, and there is still room for improvement when teaming between offices so that the cultures are better aligned.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile it is nice that the offices have some independence, the way projects are done should be better aligned between the offices.

I <3 RDI!

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsRDI was absolutely the best place I have ever worked. Endless opportunities for personal growth within the company, flexible hours (including the ability to telecommute on occasion if necessary), decent benefits, and very competitive salary (with annual raises based on performance - and if you do well, these raises can be very generous!). RDI really encourages collaboration, not competition, and due to their very high hiring standards, almost everybody you work with is knowledgeable, smart, and willing to do their part (the few bad seeds that make it through the hiring process are weeded out pretty quickly).

ConsI don't know if this is necessarily a downside, but you *are* expected to be smart, learn fast, and work hard. This doesn't mean you will be fired if you slack off one day, or even if your project fails to meet its deadline or be under budget, but RDI depends on contracts and therefore, depends upon its employees to be both very intelligent and to consistently do their best. If you want a cushy job where you don't have work very hard, then this is not the job for you. (This also, I have heard, makes it hard to even get through the door.)

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't really have any advice for management, since their decisions always seemed fair to me. I always got the feeling that management really did care about their employees, and that was what was most important to me.

Worked for Resource Data Inc? Contribute to the Community!