Resource Data Inc

www.resdat.com

Resource Data Inc Reviews

Updated May 9, 2014

Jim Rogers

Excellent place to work, flexible and really cares about employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsIf you work hard, do quality work and have ambition, you will be rewarded handsomely at RDI. They are very good about letting you guide the kinds of work you want to do, and then environment is as laid back as you will ever see in a business of this size. Salary is in line with other companies, benefits are good and getting better every year, and the HR department is the most active I've ever seen and genuinely cares about employees.

ConsNot as much leave time or retirement contribution as the clients that you will be working for. Management is almost too relaxed in a way, and though it is part of the company's desired culture, it leads to communication problems between workgroups at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease PTO and retirement contributions, establish clear paths to shareholder status for all employees, not just Programmers, GIS and Project Managers. Reward fast-achieving employees with interim reviews/raises instead of waiting until the annual review.

Not a good choice, be careful.

ProsFlexibility. Will pay a small amount towards moving costs if you travel from out of state, however you will have to pay it back if you leave before 2 years is up.

ConsBad management. Have a reputation for paying technical people low unless you have been there for a long time. Will only give you challenging work if you have worked there for a number of years. People have out of date ideas that they insist on regardless of their value. As can be expected has high staff turn over.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdopt a film crew approach rather than a widget approach and pay the people who do the work a decent wage.

Resource Data Inc Response

May 21, 2014Director, HR

Thank you for the review and feedback; I’m sorry your experience hasn’t been positive. We are focused on long-term career development, so your comments are valid, and I want to make sure newer ... More

Wonderful Place Work!

GIS Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsRDI knows that their lifeblood is their employees. They hire great people and do their best to keep these people at RDI long term. It is great to know that I work with some of the best minds in my field. RDI gives their employees plenty of opportunities for additional training and certifications and encourages and expects employees to increase their skills.

RDI offers competitive benefits, Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance, 50% 401k matching up to 3%, bonus opportunities, and 15 days paid leave from the get-go.

They nature and type of work at RDI gives ample opportunities to learn new technologies as well work on industry leading projects. If you like big data and enterprise GIS systems, this is the company for you.

I have been extremely impressed with RDI and would recommend this company to anyone looking for a great place to work.

ConsThere are companies out there that may offer a more competitive salary package. To some this will be a deterrent from joining RDI, it was for me initially. I must say however, that RDI has been very good to me since I became an employee.

There could be better camaraderie between client-site and on-site employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent benefits, Great culture.

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWork was challenging and fun. Coworkers share a pretty good bond, and definitely fun to be around. Lunch was provided on Monday's. Extremely good work/life balance... working from home was acceptable within reason. Management were extremely helpful and friendly. Office was huge compared to normal cubes. A lot of people got their own offices.

ConsThe pay was a bit lower than obtainable elsewhere. It definitely has the usual cons (and pros) of a consulting job.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. I very much appreciated that everything I had to say was always taken seriously.

Great place to work; plenty of growth opportunities; sane management

Systems Administrator (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsRDI really commits to employees who are committed to the company - there is a lot of room to grow your career and to take on responsibility.

The company is growing, which is creating a lot of space for advancement.

RDI has a serious commitment to work/life balance - flexible schedules, remote work, leave without pay, and a company culture that does not encourage overwork. The retention rate is high.

ConsPay and benefits are kept at average levels for consulting companies - so RDI is mediocre there. Non-salary benefits have been improving in the last two years, but health insurance is still just OK. The leave-without-pay benefit often only works for employees in a financial position to use it. The paid leave is slightly below average for technology positions, mostly because there are so few standard holidays.

Working at RDI comes with the standard drawbacks of consulting, but the company does a good job of balancing its clients' needs with its employees.

Thinks people are important

Senior Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsRDI places a lot of value on hiring high-quality people which means if you like working with other smart, professional and skilled people, you will like your coworkers.

They also place a lot of value on keeping employees happy. You have some say in what projects and clients you work on and they will try to accommodate your requests for certain types of project and technologies (within reason).

Although there are a few workaholics, most people work 40 hours/week and there is a lot of flexibility to set your own hours, work from home, etc.

They have a generous leave without pay policy (assuming you can afford to take leave without pay...)

ConsThe casual, laid-back approach at RDI can be a bit jarring if you are coming from a larger, faster-paced company. I eventually got used to it and now I like it. But it's not for everyone.

Pay, vacation, insurance and other benefits are competitive with other small consulting firms, but seem inadequate when compared to larger companies or government jobs. There has been a push to improve benefits in the last few years. Hopefully this will continue to improve.

The quality of project managers varies widely.

There is very little attempt at mentoring. Most employees are expected to be self-directed and ask for help if they need it. This can be intimidating if you are very junior. If you start as a junior employee, your experience could vary widely depending on which team/project you join.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs the company grows, not all long-term employees will get to be shareholders, particularly if you are technical and not a project manager. You need to provide some other incentives for employees to stick around long-term.

Not a bad place to start.

ProsGreat place to start your career.

ConsLow pay and few opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Great company

Senior Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

ProsThe company genuinely cares about its people. The transparency and honesty is impressive. You get input on which project you work. There is a good culture of smart and dedicated people.

ConsLike any consulting firm, your experience working there will largely depend on the project you are working on. Some are better than others. They mitigate this by allowing you to move to different projects within reason.

They do the best they can, but the health insurance is expensive.

Best contract company to work for

Project Manager/Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

Pros-RDI allows for great work/life balance. It is very rare that anyone works more than 40 hours a week unless you want to.
    -Employees are very important to the company and they go out of the way to show it by treating people as professionals, allowing flex time to work around life, and providing people with offices instead of cubicles!
    -The pay is pretty good and the best thing is, if you aren't actively working on a contract, there is no fear of being let go from the company (that was a fear of mine when I first got hired on and the job they hired me for fell through).
    -RDI hires for the long term and most employees are salaried.
    -The work for the most part is very interesting and you get to stay up on the latest and greatest technologies.
    -They try to run projects from the local offices which allows you to create relationships with your peers instead of being offsite at other companies all the time.
    -RDI is a debt free company which provided me with a lot of security knowing they are well run and won't fold up leaving me looking for another job.

Cons-As with all contract companies, you bill clients for what you work so you have to keep track of your time closely. If you're not use to doing this it is difficult at first but does get easier over time.
    -It can be both a pro and a con but there are very few titles at RDI and the management chain is very flat. It can be a con because although you're progressing and getting raises, title changes don't always reflect your growth. Alternatively, if you're not worried about your tile the raises are pretty good and the flat management structure allows individuals to take on different roles depending on their strengths.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Excellent Place to Work

ProsGreat talent. The company provides really good networking opportunities. RDI is definitely a career and not just another job. The President is a solid leader, very approachable and has a real pulse on what is happening.

ConsRDI is not just Alaska anymore and this is awesome for opportunities, diversity and career growth but there could be better collaboration between branches.

Worked for Resource Data Inc? Contribute to the Community!