Resource Interactive Reviews

34 reviews filtered by
Kelly Mooney

1. Good thought leadership

I worked at Resource Interactive

Pros

Great top level leadership and vision, particularly for an agency. Lots of (somewhat typical for agency) perks and good culture.

Cons

Advancement can be difficult given lack of hierarchy. Pay isn't great.

Ensure advancement path is clear.

2. Nice People (Mostly), No Process

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Resource Interactive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were nice
    Understanding of work/life balance

Cons

No processes exist, so nothing is ever done the same way twice and nobody examines what is being done to see if it could be done better the next time
    Employees get rewarded for working long, extra hours because no requirements work is done up front with the clients -- if you can't work the extra hours, don't expect to get ahead with this company
    Requirements are not gathered by people who know how to elicit requirements, instead the "Client Services" (translation: people that are easy on the eyes, but know nothing about technology) are the ones that get to talk to the client

Examine closely how projects are currently handled and look into processes such as having business analysts gather requirements up front, have clients sign off on requirements (including screen shots) and then develop in iterations. The iterations, when done correctly, allow the client to see what is being done each iteration so that the development team gets continual feedback and the client is involved every step of the way instead of just at the end of the project to tell the team that they delivered something that the client did not want.

How things have changed

I worked at Resource Interactive full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a strong culture of innovation and forward-thinking with the Resource Lab team, always sharing ideas and new ways of doing things. It's also a highly creative shop with some very talented designers and creative directors. The training program was at the time one of the best I knew of for an agency. The company also the "thought leadership" approach nailed with their OPEN Brands.

Cons

There has been a significant shift in the company, away from the founding values to one of "churn and burn." When the company grew quickly the culture shifted and the company has been re-organized multiple times to address both client and employee satisfaction issues, with little improvement. There was also an expectation that the work day never stops, that people need to check in during non-working times and to do more than one job consistently.

Re-embrace the culture that everyone used to talk about as your winning advantage. Trust your associates when they tell you something isn't working and then listen to their suggestions.

This company is in a slow death spiral - Moral is low, bonuses non-existent, loosing clients

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Resource Interactive full-time (more than a year)

Pros

work from home option is the only good thing

Cons

compensation is below industry norms
    benefits are average at best
    super high churn rate of staff - 4 project managers on one client in a year, really?
    constant re-orgs and random layoff rounds

When the CFO jumps ship, you know you have about 6 months before things get bad. Moving way too slow to fix things.

I still love coming to work, but there a some days...

I have been working at Resource Interactive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoy the work I do and my peers are great. They do a good job of trying to keep the culture and work environment fun and involved. Support from font-line managers is good, however, support from upper management seems to be non-existent sometimes.

Cons

Sometimes I leave the office shaking my head wondering what upper management was thinking. Things that should be a priority are often overlooked and things that really don't make a difference to the bottom-line are celebrated.

Depends on where you work

I worked at Resource Interactive

Pros

Good, fun, creative atmosphere. Great job for junior and single people. Some great leaders and creative minds.

Cons

Tends to focus more on getting the cache name of certain clients, vs on what clients will be good long-term partnerships to work with. Leaves people to crash and burn on unhealthy client relationships, providing little support. Many 80+ hour weeks. Just like high school, some teams are the 'in-crowd' teams and get all the best talent.

Stop re-organizing every 6 months

8. A great company... in transition.

I have been working at Resource Interactive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. Many of them are truly hilarious. Some projects are great, some of the brands are cool. Benefits are good, salary is ok. There is probably 300+ employees at this time across multiple offices, but the President and CEO will learn your name and take time to chat. That's a rare thing, I think.

Cons

It's a company in transition. There is a desire by management to be a full service ad agency, but a culture built around making pretty things and the notion that no brand can resist a great idea. I wish. There is a lack of interest in things like market research, analytics, PR and just general marketing. This stuff is not as sexy and fun as creative, but you can't be an agency and still think like a small design shop. The company can also be a bit clique-ish, with pretty girls somehow surviving round after round of layoffs. Oh look, there are the hipsters, and over there the jocks, and check out that group of nerds!

This company has a great culture, and truly great core values I believe in. It just needs to decide what kind of company it wants to be a go for it. So many in upper management are lifers that I just don't know if they are capable of striking out in a new direction. And that's fine if it just wants to stay the course.

9. So Far, So Good. But...

I have been working at Resource Interactive full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good friends, great benefits, awesome projects that look great on your resumé, super-smart, super-talented co-workers, a pretty office, nice amenities, great location, and you can bring your dog to work.

Cons

I've luckily survived several rounds of layoffs. However, it's left me shell-shocked. I get the feeling my turn is coming up. I've secretly started bringing things back home from the office so I don't have a lot to carry if the worst happens. Also, pretty much anywhere else pays more money, but not everywhere else has the cool benefits.

If you're going to pretend to be a tech-based ad agency, hire more artists, managers, and client services people who have actually coded things in the recent past. I've seen too many well-intentioned managers promise completely crazy things in even crazier time-frames, seen too many creatives make beautiful-yet-completely-inappropriate and unusable graphics, seen too many SRS's with bullet points that have nothing to do with anything. They should either get more technical people, promote the technical people they have into other positions, or give up and go back to just doing gorgeous, static, paper ads.

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

I have been working at Resource Interactive (more than 3 years)

Pros

− Good experience for younger associates. They learn a lot from a lot of smart people.
    − Smart and talented peer group
    − Potential to work with some good brands

Cons

− There’s, generally, a very low morale and senior/executive leadership doesn’t appear to care, be doing anything about it, or even realize it.
    − Forget OPEN, it’s leadership rolling sh** downhill with no chance of collaboration.
    − There’s a lot of fluffy words being thrown around by leadership, but no action to right the ship. Associates are having trouble rallying around the cause. A lot of empty promises…
    − Leadership has their favorite people. And those people are rewarded with opportunity while the rest of the associates have to do the work that keeps the lights on.
    − You will not be promoted or rewarded based on merit. Play the game by kissing a**, throwing people around you under the bus, by being a squeaky wheel, and only talking about yourself and how awesome you are. Some of the promotions handed out recently are absolutely disgusting.
    − The salary is awful. Associates are sold on ancillary benefits as justification for a low salary. However, many of those benefits never see the light of day.
    − Even though the profit margin is generally good, associates are told that it’s not good enough. They don’t get to share in the profit, so it is assumed that it only goes to lining the pockets of the C-suite.
    − Resource once only cared about producing amazing work. These days, its main priority is making money even though they say it is about producing great work.

Give the reigns back to Kramer or someone who understands corporate psychology. Get back to some semblance that empowering the associate is a priority—at least one of them. Perhaps, it’s time to hit the reset button and figure out whether it’s about making money, or disrupting the marketplace with amazing work.

It's a sinking ship!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Resource Interactive full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nancy Kramer built a great company and had a tremendous vision for the future. It's too bad she's stepped away!

Cons

Kelly Mooney ruined a great company! We are baffled by the fact the senior leadership team or investors don't see this.

Bring Kramer back or this company is not going to be here in a few years! How many more people need to leave before someone steps up and shows Kelly the door? If this company is to grow to what it once was like Kramer touted during our recent annual meeting, then serious senior leadership needs change!

Resource Interactive Photos

Open pods not cubicles with room for self-expression
Team Meeting