Resource Interactive

Resource Interactive Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Not yet rated.

Kelly Mooney

A great company... in transition.

ProsI work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. Many of them are truly hilarious. Some projects are great, some of the brands are cool. Benefits are good, salary is ok. There is probably 300+ employees at this time across multiple offices, but the President and CEO will learn your name and take time to chat. That's a rare thing, I think.

ConsIt's a company in transition. There is a desire by management to be a full service ad agency, but a culture built around making pretty things and the notion that no brand can resist a great idea. I wish. There is a lack of interest in things like market research, analytics, PR and just general marketing. This stuff is not as sexy and fun as creative, but you can't be an agency and still think like a small design shop. The company can also be a bit clique-ish, with pretty girls somehow surviving round after round of layoffs. Oh look, there are the hipsters, and over there the jocks, and check out that group of nerds!

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company has a great culture, and truly great core values I believe in. It just needs to decide what kind of company it wants to be a go for it. So many in upper management are lifers that I just don't know if they are capable of striking out in a new direction. And that's fine if it just wants to stay the course.

I still love coming to work, but there a some days...

ProsI really enjoy the work I do and my peers are great. They do a good job of trying to keep the culture and work environment fun and involved. Support from font-line managers is good, however, support from upper management seems to be non-existent sometimes.

ConsSometimes I leave the office shaking my head wondering what upper management was thinking. Things that should be a priority are often overlooked and things that really don't make a difference to the bottom-line are celebrated.

Depends on where you work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood, fun, creative atmosphere. Great job for junior and single people. Some great leaders and creative minds.

ConsTends to focus more on getting the cache name of certain clients, vs on what clients will be good long-term partnerships to work with. Leaves people to crash and burn on unhealthy client relationships, providing little support. Many 80+ hour weeks. Just like high school, some teams are the 'in-crowd' teams and get all the best talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop re-organizing every 6 months

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

So Far, So Good. But...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsGood friends, great benefits, awesome projects that look great on your resumé, super-smart, super-talented co-workers, a pretty office, nice amenities, great location, and you can bring your dog to work.

ConsI've luckily survived several rounds of layoffs. However, it's left me shell-shocked. I get the feeling my turn is coming up. I've secretly started bringing things back home from the office so I don't have a lot to carry if the worst happens. Also, pretty much anywhere else pays more money, but not everywhere else has the cool benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you're going to pretend to be a tech-based ad agency, hire more artists, managers, and client services people who have actually coded things in the recent past. I've seen too many well-intentioned managers promise completely crazy things in even crazier time-frames, seen too many creatives make beautiful-yet-completely-inappropriate and unusable graphics, seen too many SRS's with bullet points that have nothing to do with anything. They should either get more technical people, promote the technical people they have into other positions, or give up and go back to just doing gorgeous, static, paper ads.

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Pros− Good experience for younger associates. They learn a lot from a lot of smart people.
    − Smart and talented peer group
    − Potential to work with some good brands

Cons− There’s, generally, a very low morale and senior/executive leadership doesn’t appear to care, be doing anything about it, or even realize it.
    − Forget OPEN, it’s leadership rolling sh** downhill with no chance of collaboration.
    − There’s a lot of fluffy words being thrown around by leadership, but no action to right the ship. Associates are having trouble rallying around the cause. A lot of empty promises…
    − Leadership has their favorite people. And those people are rewarded with opportunity while the rest of the associates have to do the work that keeps the lights on.
    − You will not be promoted or rewarded based on merit. Play the game by kissing a**, throwing people around you under the bus, by being a squeaky wheel, and only talking about yourself and how awesome you are. Some of the promotions handed out recently are absolutely disgusting.
    − The salary is awful. Associates are sold on ancillary benefits as justification for a low salary. However, many of those benefits never see the light of day.
    − Even though the profit margin is generally good, associates are told that it’s not good enough. They don’t get to share in the profit, so it is assumed that it only goes to lining the pockets of the C-suite.
    − Resource once only cared about producing amazing work. These days, its main priority is making money even though they say it is about producing great work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the reigns back to Kramer or someone who understands corporate psychology. Get back to some semblance that empowering the associate is a priority—at least one of them. Perhaps, it’s time to hit the reset button and figure out whether it’s about making money, or disrupting the marketplace with amazing work.

It's a sinking ship!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsNancy Kramer built a great company and had a tremendous vision for the future. It's too bad she's stepped away!

ConsKelly Mooney ruined a great company! We are baffled by the fact the senior leadership team or investors don't see this.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring Kramer back or this company is not going to be here in a few years! How many more people need to leave before someone steps up and shows Kelly the door? If this company is to grow to what it once was like Kramer touted during our recent annual meeting, then serious senior leadership needs change!

Chicago isn't Columbus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsColumbus seems to care about the culture and making it a fun place to go to work everyday.

ConsThe re-org seemed more like an attempt to be something that they're not - an agency with reach to compete with the global giants. What made Resource unique was that it was based in Columbus doing groundbreaking work. They went after big hires as part of the re-org based on where they came from, not the quality of the person and whether they fit into the unique culture. This is especially apparent in Chicago where the person they hired to run the office has laid waste every place he had been prior. If resource did their research they would have heard the horror stories. Instead they were seduced because this person came from one of the agencies they want so badly to be. The result has been massive attrition. It is also curious that the two C level hires they made in 2013 were let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look in the mirror, see all the good and loyal people who have left and stated why. HR needs to stop sweeping the consistent negative feedback under the rug and do something before it's too late.

It's all about the people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsIf you work directly with the right people, it's a great place to be. The culture and benefits are good.

ConsIf you work directly with the wrong people, it can be a struggle. The pay is not competitive. People regularly leave with huge pay increases.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on retaining the people you have.

Bring back the OPEN Brand you teach to your clients!

Director (Former Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsThe culture is enticing. The people, at the core, are smart and future thinking. The environment allows for as much creativity as you can give! Having a friend at work, is an absolute.

ConsWhere is Kramer?
    Kramer use to have a more active role in the business, and now, although much deserved, she makes appearances only during key functions. As I've watched her step back from the day-to-day, the culture and leadership has weakened. Kramer's ability to engage and motivate people is extraordinary and no one has been able to fill those shoes. Her absence has left a huge hole in the culture and her commitment to the hardworking employees is lost.

Where did OPEN go?
    People no longer feel valued, or empowered to contribute to the success of the company. The environment, at the surface, still encourages employees to provide their feedback and suggestions, however, little to no action is taken. In the last year or so, Management roles have been hired in instead of promoting within. New leaders come with varying experiences and opinions, and no one is teaching and/or enforcing consistent behavior or culture. These new managers feel they bring expertise that will help the business meet their goals, however, they show little respect for the people who have built the foundation this company stands on and seldom play nice with others. The satellite offices are alienated from the Columbus office and feel disconnected, forgotten, and unsupported.

Process or not to process?
    Who owns process? HR, Finance, Operations, Client Service, Technology, Creative, Strategy? Well, it really depends on who you talk to! Accountability use to rest on the shoulders of Client Managers, and with the last re-org, everyone feels they are accountable. Is this good? It can be, if you have the right people leading the decisions. Resource does not! The process has become cumbersome, with a lack of solution driven people making decisions. Departments feel they have more ownership, but the work is not better, it takes longer to get work done, and getting resources to do the work can seem impossible, which causes people to go around the system.

Work Life Balance, is there such a thing?
    Resource pays your cell phone bill, which implies you should be connected 24/7. It's a digital company right? Email, text messages, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, the list goes on. You are 100% connected in the palm of your hand. Fun, yes! Can you turn it off, no!

Does long hours = more value = more pay?
    Well, NO! A developer who pulls a 36 hour shift for a client launch is let go with a round of lay offs, a project manager with performance problems is rewarded with a raise because the manager is afraid of losing another manager on their team. HR makes hiring/firing decisions without input from direct managers or teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your managers and train them to engage with and motivate the employees (the Kramer way!). Ensure all managers believe in the core values and practice them often.

Don't just say you are OPEN, really open your door to feedback and the leadership team needs to figure out a way to move quickly to resolve issues.

Hire someone who really understands how to staff the business based on the work and the revenue. It is currently unbalanced.

The future isn't now

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvery creative and lively company to work for. very much focused on fostering a collaborative work environment. you will get to work on a lot of great projects and with many big companies. a great place to learn and grow!

Consthey push their most talented people out the door by not rewarding them, especially in the tech domain, while those with lessor capabilities are there forever. they spend a lot of time and money of "future thinking" with a lab and a futurist on staff but then have to cut the revenue producers when sales are down. turnover is HIGH.

Advice to Senior Managementthe message of "times are tough" doesn't ring well with the proletariat when they can see all the money spent on things like the lab, iCitizen, pro bono work for Les Wexner, etc.

Worked for Resource Interactive? Contribute to the Community!