Resources For Human Development

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dyann Roth

Working for RHD was very rewarding

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthere were plent of opportunities to learn and be trained. the miniversity helped me out a lot. ther was also tuition assistance

Consthe pay was below what I think is fair, there was a lot of cronyism and nepotism

Advice to Senior ManagementMonitor the practices at individual homes more closely

Beware of Immature Management

ConsHorrible Managers at every site
    Low Pay for Staff
    Central Office staff are Spoiled and uneducated

Advice to Senior ManagementFire Everyone

It was a good experience for me.

Substance Abuse Counselor (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGood people to work with, pay was decent along with benefits.

ConsLack of leadership, to much Politics in upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more meetings with your lower level employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the most different and interesting companies I ever worked for!

Psychiatric Rehabilitation Worker (Former Employee) Lehighton, PA

ProsExcellent benefits all around, the company follows a set of values which I saw carried out within the program I worked for, employees are encouraged to voice their opinions and ideas, if there is a conflict there are people within the company who serve as mediators to help resolve the issue, flexible and freedom in scheduling appointments with clients and taking time off, employer provides and encourages employees to gain more training, uses liberal-based approaches, company is continuing to grow and expand, rated as one of the best companies to work for in Philly, and most of all, you see the impact and changes these programs have had in increasing the overall quality of life in the people who are being served!!

ConsVery disorganized at times, sharing office space makes it difficult for ensuring confidentiality with clients, saw a lot of inept people hired and fired who were given multiple chances of proving themselves and changing when they should have probably been fired from the gecko, inefficient computer program for documenting notes/plans (although I think it may have changed by now), boundaries set between staff and clients were questionable at times

A good place to grow and refine your skills while making some lasting friendships in the process.

Chief Technology Officer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsI spent 4 years at RHD and saw a lot of change. Some good, some bad, some amazing - but I think that's most companies. Having been gone for a little over a month now, I REALLY miss most of the folks I worked with while there, and still keep in touch with many which I think is a testament to the culture at RHD. In my experience the environment makes it pretty easy to develop friendships and camaraderie that can be difficult at other organizations where I've worked. I was so anti-open environment when I came and now I find it hard to work in a traditional environment and am glad my current company is changing to one!

I think most jobs are what you make of them. I build a very strong team that is cohesive, agile, smart, and innovative - focused on how IT can enable the business to serve its consumers better, faster, with greater ease. I am very proud of the accomplishments we made there, and I do think that the relatively hands-off methodology others seem to see as detrimental, was instrumental in RHD's IT department becoming world-class (my biased opinion, of course).

ConsI do think management should be more willing to receive and accept feedback. I had the opportunity to be on the corporate council where I think that was beginning to happen more and I hope it continues. In my opinion, the business could learn a lesson or two in "economies of scale". Growing strategically is always better than expanding for the sake of saying you grew.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have smart folks around you. Trust their expertise. Trust their judgement, and you'll be fine. The company now has a CEO that's easy to get behind. I personally feel IT, HR, and Legal should have a seat at the executive management table; while you leverage the existing senior management structure for clinical management.

Amazing company

Anonymous (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsVery people friendly and socially forward.

ConsI can't think of any

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you

Good experience, no upward movement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers, a lot of time off, pleasant environment to work in

ConsManagement overworked, which trickles down to the case managers. No possible upward mobility without a masters degree.

It was good while it lasted.

ProsOvertime available
    Dress code is relaxed almost non-existent

ConsManagement has no clue what really goes on at the sites.

Could be a great company...could be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsLots of great and very talented people. Somehow RHD finds ways to attract great talent. Holding on to them though, a different story.

ConsYoung leaders are often discouraged and looked down upon as if good leaders have to have grey hair and 40+ years of experience in their fields. Management is anything but - mostly comprised of people who've been around forever; not really managers in any sense, just tenured. Lots of dysfunction in areas that tend to be worry-free for better managed companies, like payroll, HR, and IT. For a non-profit, they spend a lot of money settling lawsuits and disputes...probably more per capita than a for-profit of the same size, which is proof of general mismanagement. Benefits are a joke...between that and wage tax, combined with the fact that you'll earn less than you would in the same position at another company, it's east to understand why turnover is so high overall. It's why I left...

Advice to Senior ManagementReinvent yourselves, seriously. Given your size the struggles you have with basic business functions are proof of a need for total evolution. You're dug in and immovable; find younger leaders to help you reach your next level or you'll find yourself continuing to face the backsides of better managed competitors.

Began as a positive experience but management made positivity impossible

Paraprofessional (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsI met some very dedicated and interesting people while doing an important service for those with disabilities.

ConsThere was a huge dissonance between the explicitly stated company values and the practices of management, which resulted in a discouraging environment of fear and suspicion and back-biting. Open communication and trust were purportedly important company values, but I have not worked for an organization which practiced these less.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the company values be your guide rather than micromanaging based on personalities.

Worked for Resources For Human Development? Contribute to the Community!