Resources For Human Development

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
Dyann Roth

Pros
  • The company does good work in behavioral health and is making a difference in many peoples lives (in 3 reviews)

• This is an open environment where there is great adherence to the values (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management is set in their ways (in 5 reviews)

• Lack of leadership, to much Politics in upper management (in 5 reviews)

1. Unsympathetic to Client's Family Dynamic and Involvement

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time

Pros

Has many concepts that COULD be admirable and assets to this company. Holds annual Values Day which is cool.

Cons

Inconsistent, lacks adequate training for staff. Company touts a "values" based concept but does little to actually honor that claim. Does not encourage or embrace family involvement. I have even witnessed my coworkers lie on reports and daily notes to make the families look bad in an effort to make themselves look better. The companion model is a farce. Money for noting basically.

Advice to Management

Involve and embrace families of those you serve rather than treat them as outsiders. Positive natural supports are an asset and in the long run will make the job easier and workplace environment more positive.

2. Not a very friendly environment if you don't have any social work experience - very cliquish.

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance. Schedules are flexible. Very client oriented. Family oriented.

Cons

Not very organized or structured. Decentralized units that make up their own rules and regulations. Headquarters establishes vague guidelines. Provides very little guidance. Not business oriented. Promotions based on friendships and relationships. Does not hold employees accountable.

Advice to Management

HQ needs to set the tone for its units. Provide specific guidelines and structure. Visit the units more often to determine any deficiencies. Provide more on the job training.

3. Mental Health Professional

Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Resources For Human Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has been around for years and provides good services to people with disabilities in many different states.

Cons

Years of poor management and unorganized environment. Poor pay as well, considering this is a multi-million dollar company. Morale continues to decrease over time and core values are not observed in NC as they are in other states. No room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Relax and reduce the power and control mentality.

minimal support for employees, high burn out

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time

Pros

Excellent health benefits, very supportive and kind supervisors. My coworkers worked extremely well together and prioritized the needs of their clients above all else. The services provided are critical in Louisiana as mental health treatment continues to disappear; however, funding does not reflect the increasing demand for services.

Cons

Very low salaries with no raises, little room to be promoted. Very white upper management while people of color are rarely promoted to or hired in a managerial capacity. regional office does little to support its direct service providers. Due to these factors combined with high-need, high-risk clients, burn out is very common.

Advice to Management

Remember where you started, pay attention, and pay your employees what they are worth. Investing in employees will effect the quality and continuity of services offered to consumers. Diversify funding sources rather than closing entire programs once a grant is lost.

6. Sigh..

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Resources For Human Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours
    Participants and Co workers fun to work with

Cons

Lack of leadership
    Management only cares about the bottom line
    no support from the top to the bottom
    scheduling issues
    people won't stay because they feel alienated and unappreciated
    no advancement opportunities for minorities

Advice to Management

Listen .you don't have all of the answers

Assistant Director

I worked at Resources For Human Development

Pros

It is incredibly difficult to find something remotely positive to say about this employer because I was not treated like a person when I worked there.

Cons

They have no sympathy for your personal life. I was terminated for missing two weeks of work when I traveled to Michigan when my dad was in a coma and dying. I returned from his funeral after 9 business days away to a letter in the mail that I had been terminated due to my absences. No phone call or sympathy card or even a question of whether my dad had lived or died. Made the grieving process so much worse.

Advice to Management

I was hired to work there as an assistant director a few years back. My first day on the job, my dad had a heart attack so I went to Michigan to the hospital where he was in a coma, with the office's permission. He ended up dying two weeks later. After the funeral, I returned to Philadelphia (two weeks after my start date) to a letter in the mailbox stating that I had been terminated from my position, which made my bereavement even more difficult. They didn't even have the decency of a phone call or any expression of sympathy or to even ask if my dad had survived the heart attack. This was the worst employment experience of my life and was so difficult to get over. It seems strange that they spent two months and three interviews to hire me, but terminated me for missing two weeks to attend to my dying father. A cruel, heartless employer.

Racism Rules

I have been working at Resources For Human Development full-time

Pros

Benefits and PTO are offered to full-time employees.

Cons

If your brown skin color isn't the result of a tan, don't expect to advance or hold ANY position of importance. SAMBO, MANTAN and MAMMY are the titles reserved for non-tanned individuals. Raises and promotions are only for those can receive a tan from the sun or tanning bed.

Advice to Management

Promote from within and recognize and properly address the rampant racism.

Stressful,confusing,annoying and unprofessional.

Former Employee - Tss in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Tss in Phila, PA

I worked at Resources For Human Development

Pros

Relaxed.
    Office people are nice and helpful for the most part.
    Recieved an interview quickly.

Cons

Unprofessional regarding communication and getting people to work.

Took me almost 3 MONTHS to start work as a TSS. At training they said you will only get paid for training once you take your first case because people have recieved money in the past and went some where else. Now I know why. THE WAIT TIME and inconsistent work.

I learned they cut a lot of jobs so the work load is strained among the office people. Therefore it takes a long time to do basically anything. If I inquire about something on Monday, they don't they act on it until 4 o'clock Wednesday. Which means I have to wait until the following Monday for an answer. Hardly anyone communicates in a reasonable time period. It takes at least 3 days to 1 week to get an answer from anyone in their office and their affiliates.

You can't fax the time sheets so you have to literally go hand the paperwork to them.

Weekly Supervision is unnecessary and cuts in to the time with the student and paycheck. I believe it should be every other week. They say they pay you for travel time but that's only 30 minutes. It takes at least an hour to get to your destination.

There is a heck of a lot of paperwork,clearances and proof of your college education to get started then you are stalled and asked to wait for their call. I try to be patient and understanding but I feel they add more stress to my life. RHD makes people jump through hoops to get what they need but are slow on work pay times and basically anything they need to do for you. They wonder why people leave or get upset.

I still haven't found a steady case. After a couple weeks, I am back home and have yet to receive a check.

Work is too far and in between. Communication is HORRIBLE!

I'm looking for another agency.

Advice to Management

Get better with communication. Shorten the wait time for work. Have more than one person working on communication with employees.

No I would not recommend.

Manager

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time

Pros

Progressive environment, great people,lots of creative opportunites

Cons

Benefits not consistent among programs, nepotism rules, chaotic atmosphere with poor boundaries, values are not implemented, just a catchprase

Advice to Management

Get a clue! Turnover is out of control and there are reasons for it! Hire and retain quality people with integrity and skills, not just your cousin or your best friend or your spouse! Play fair or get out of the game entirely. Such a waste of potential. Egos prevail with little regard for the fallout. Treat people with respect and replace "values" with actual old fashioned integrity in practice. An open office blueprint does not imply a happy healthy workplace!

negative

I have been working at Resources For Human Development

Pros

Higher than average salary in geographic area

Cons

Inappropriate working environment. No formal clinical supervision or support from management. meetings are useless. Very passive-aggressive management team. Workload wuth consumers and paperwork impossible to keep up with.

RSS Feed </> Embed