Resources For Human Development

Profile Unclaimed

Beware of Immature Management

Former Employee - Manager in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Phila, PA

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Okay Benefits
    Flexibile Hours
    Nice Staff Overalll

Cons

Horrible Managers at every site
    Low Pay for Staff
    Central Office staff are Spoiled and uneducated

Fire Everyone

It was a good experience for me.

Current Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Resources For Human Development full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good people to work with, pay was decent along with benefits.

Cons

Lack of leadership, to much Politics in upper management.

Have more meetings with your lower level employees.

One of the most different and interesting companies I ever worked for!

Former Employee - Psychiatric Rehabilitation Worker in Lehighton, PA
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Rehabilitation Worker in Lehighton, PA

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits all around, the company follows a set of values which I saw carried out within the program I worked for, employees are encouraged to voice their opinions and ideas, if there is a conflict there are people within the company who serve as mediators to help resolve the issue, flexible and freedom in scheduling appointments with clients and taking time off, employer provides and encourages employees to gain more training, uses liberal-based approaches, company is continuing to grow and expand, rated as one of the best companies to work for in Philly, and most of all, you see the impact and changes these programs have had in increasing the overall quality of life in the people who are being served!!

Cons

Very disorganized at times, sharing office space makes it difficult for ensuring confidentiality with clients, saw a lot of inept people hired and fired who were given multiple chances of proving themselves and changing when they should have probably been fired from the gecko, inefficient computer program for documenting notes/plans (although I think it may have changed by now), boundaries set between staff and clients were questionable at times

A good place to grow and refine your skills while making some lasting friendships in the process.

Former Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Chief Technology Officer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I spent 4 years at RHD and saw a lot of change. Some good, some bad, some amazing - but I think that's most companies. Having been gone for a little over a month now, I REALLY miss most of the folks I worked with while there, and still keep in touch with many which I think is a testament to the culture at RHD. In my experience the environment makes it pretty easy to develop friendships and camaraderie that can be difficult at other organizations where I've worked. I was so anti-open environment when I came and now I find it hard to work in a traditional environment and am glad my current company is changing to one!

I think most jobs are what you make of them. I build a very strong team that is cohesive, agile, smart, and innovative - focused on how IT can enable the business to serve its consumers better, faster, with greater ease. I am very proud of the accomplishments we made there, and I do think that the relatively hands-off methodology others seem to see as detrimental, was instrumental in RHD's IT department becoming world-class (my biased opinion, of course).

Cons

I do think management should be more willing to receive and accept feedback. I had the opportunity to be on the corporate council where I think that was beginning to happen more and I hope it continues. In my opinion, the business could learn a lesson or two in "economies of scale". Growing strategically is always better than expanding for the sake of saying you grew.

You have smart folks around you. Trust their expertise. Trust their judgement, and you'll be fine. The company now has a CEO that's easy to get behind. I personally feel IT, HR, and Legal should have a seat at the executive management table; while you leverage the existing senior management structure for clinical management.

Amazing company

Former Employee - Anonymous in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Resources For Human Development part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very people friendly and socially forward.

Cons

I can't think of any

Good experience, no upward movement

I worked at Resources For Human Development

Pros

Great co-workers, a lot of time off, pleasant environment to work in

Cons

Management overworked, which trickles down to the case managers. No possible upward mobility without a masters degree.

It was good while it lasted.

I have been working at Resources For Human Development

Pros

Overtime available
    Dress code is relaxed almost non-existent

Cons

Management has no clue what really goes on at the sites.

Best of times, worst of times

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Resources For Human Development full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Inspiring service mission, generous Paid Time Off, work with many caring and hard working people, unique culture, creative thinking (in some areas)

Cons

Going through cost and program cutting phase, management actions don't always match values, many uncertainties, no match toward retirement saving

Re-examine the corporation's economic model; consider seeking external consultation on future growth and direction

A surreal work experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I have been working at Resources For Human Development full-time

Pros

The people are wonderful to work with, excellent team environment, collaborative. Flexible schedule. Good work/life balance. Some chances of advancement, depending on your position. Company is open to new ideas and suggestions from employees, creativity is encouraged. Open culture, everyone is approachable.

Cons

Upper management clings to an outdated business model in a show of allegiance to the founder and previous CEO, much to the detriment of the advancement of the company. They do not learn from their financial mistakes. Money is wasted hand over fist on projects that are poorly planned and executed, then more money is wasted trying to make it right. They do not know when to let go of really expensive projects, cut their losses, and find something else. Rampant backdoor politics.

Integrate standard business practices, don't be afraid of change, some centralization is necessary to keep control of spending and to keep things in line, as well as protecting the company and its assets.

Could be a great company...could be

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great and very talented people. Somehow RHD finds ways to attract great talent. Holding on to them though, a different story.

Cons

Young leaders are often discouraged and looked down upon as if good leaders have to have grey hair and 40+ years of experience in their fields. Management is anything but - mostly comprised of people who've been around forever; not really managers in any sense, just tenured. Lots of dysfunction in areas that tend to be worry-free for better managed companies, like payroll, HR, and IT. For a non-profit, they spend a lot of money settling lawsuits and disputes...probably more per capita than a for-profit of the same size, which is proof of general mismanagement. Benefits are a joke...between that and wage tax, combined with the fact that you'll earn less than you would in the same position at another company, it's east to understand why turnover is so high overall. It's why I left...

Reinvent yourselves, seriously. Given your size the struggles you have with basic business functions are proof of a need for total evolution. You're dug in and immovable; find younger leaders to help you reach your next level or you'll find yourself continuing to face the backsides of better managed competitors.