Responsys Reviews

Reset
3.7
Responsys CEO Dan Springer
Dan Springer

Pros
  • The work life balance is also something that is good as well; the managers encourage that work stays at work (in 10 reviews)

• Opportunities to work from home in many positions (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Some growing pains due to rapid industry growth (in 3 reviews)

• They then failed to hire new people (in 3 reviews)

1. Excellent company to work for. Great minds to mingle with

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are endless. Sky is the limit. It had a startup kind of environment leading to a seasoned organization - processes were evolving and there is ample opportunity to develop those.

Cons

Rewards are slow in coming but sure. So you have to stick on long enough to reap it.

2. Great work environment

I worked at Responsys full-time

Pros

Great work environment. Laid back.

Cons

Hard to move up at times. Bought by Oracle.

Miss the old Responsys

Current Employee - Senior Product Consultant in Millbrae, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Consultant in Millbrae, CA

I have been working at Responsys (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, loved our CEO

Cons

No bonuses, departments work independently

5. Packaging the company for sale (ultimately bought by Oracle)

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good email marketing technology platform. All email marketers over-hype and over-sell, but Responsys platform is really pretty capable (if you can deal with the complexity). Young and growing/vibrant company, which makes for an exciting place to work...but not a stable or predictable one. With a lot of growth and change also have many opportunities to work with different clients or to change roles within the company.

Cons

Work-Life balance is tough here. Quality of 1st and 2nd level managers is all over the map -- no real standards for promoting someone into a management role, and it shows. Lack of formal training process for getting new consultants up to speed -- just throw you in to the deep end of the pool and tell you to swim. Executive management is mostly approachable but at the end of the day they are pumping the value of the company so they can sell it and cash out. Don't even *think* about getting in the way of that.

Advice to Management

Invest in the Professional Services side of the business -- your customer sat ratings depend on it! Acknowledge that the platform is complex for clients to deal with, and invest in providing them with the necessary tools and guidance to get set up, and then later to grow their capabilities.

6. Visual Designer

Former Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've used my knowledge of email design in my current job, which has helped a lot. Working there developed my ability to design to the pixel, which helps when creating style guides and redline documents.

Cons

I didn't feel like I was setup to succeed. From the moment I sat at my desk on the first day, till the time I left, I was constantly made aware of the things I did wrong, but wasn't coached on how to better the outcome. I am not a designer that needs coddling, but when I was working 15 hour days (ON EMAIL THAT NOBODY WILL SEE BECAUSE MY CLIENT IS FROM THE 90's..I won't mention by name) the majority of the week, a little "hey, I really appreciate the work you're doing" would have been neat. I was told "we threw you to the sharks, and you failed, so now we can't really trust you..." This was the response I got after I had worked on a client campaign in which I had never worked on before. It felt really harsh, and again, there was no effort to help me get "up to speed" with this client. Meh. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people. Create an environment that is positive, wherein if someone "fails", they are able to be brought back up. Compassion goes a long way.

7. Too many changes in a short span

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong Company with a confident management with good industry track record. Have a very focused approach to sales and going after them aggressively. Liked the fact that they knew what they were doing and where they were going.

Cons

Hot headed VP of Engineering/CTO. Low ball you on salaries and frugal benefits. Lack of flexibility for remote employees. I had a choice to either relocate or move on.

Advice to Management

Management has helped themselves to huge compensation and left behind the foot solders. While the company is doing good, it is not just because of Management only. All employees are contributing for it.

8. Demanding workload, stressful but nice people.

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Responsys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great platform and product offering Flexible working Quarterly bonus and above-average benefits Nice, friendly people Casual dressing (very) Still feels like a start-up!

Cons

Poor life work balance Excessive workload, it's normal to put in extra hours every day Management lacking leadership, clarity and direction Difficult career advancement Bureaucracy Oracle processes

Advice to Management

Provide support needed and leadership to the team before the rest of us follow suit and march off too. Frequent and clear communication is needed. Resource is needed, most have to work 50hr a week to cope with workload.

Responsys was great, but then Oracle took over...

Current Employee - Campaign Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Campaign Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Responsys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

~Great software for enterprise B2C email marketing ~Great location at 3rd/Market ~Working from Home

Cons

~Lack of Transparency ~Oracle will freeze promotions/raises for the sake of quarterly revenue reports ~Responsys management has no power, all trickles down from Oracle fat cats.

Advice to Management

~Let employees work from home more often ~Don't pretend like there is progress, your hands are shackled to Oracle fat cats.

10. A great stepping stone into Oracle

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My time at responsys was a total slam dunk. After spending almost 2 years here, I was able to get a bigger and better opportunity doing business development for the Oracle Marketing Cloud. Everything I learned about moving into the big leagues I learned at Responsys. The NYC office was really a wonderful stepping stone into Oracle and I am grateful for my manager for hiring and teaching me everything I needed to know to make it big. As they say, "Go big or go home". I am going big thanks to Responsys.

Cons

The interns are a bit untrained and people here really have a strong hatred of their imagined or real competitors. Some people just need to lighten up.

Advice to Management

Lighten up guys. We're part of Oracle and it's totally awesome!

Responsys = Good | Oracle = Bad

Current Employee - Associate Campaign Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Campaign Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Responsys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are friendly/helpful. Nice location. Job itself isn't too bad.

Cons

Management has lied about giving raises over and over again, leading to a mass exodus. They then failed to hire new people. Oracle processes add frustration and take away time no one has.

RSS Feed </> Embed