Restaurant Associates
www.restaurantassociates.com New York, NY 50 to 149 Employees

Restaurant Associates Reviews

Updated Apr 3, 2014
Restaurant Associates – US – “kitchen”

Richard Cattani

Excellent Opportunity, Some of the staff need to be fired or retrained in team work

Barista/Bus Boy (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Restaurant Associates part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat people to work with, good learning experience, with room for growth

ConsWish I had more hours

Barista / Cashier

Barista (Former Employee)
McLean, VA

I worked at Restaurant Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsMet some great people. No weekends/ Fed days off. Free meals

ConsHorrible management, favoritism, overworked

Great Pay, Horrible Management

Caterer (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Restaurant Associates part-time for more than a year

ProsPays exceptionally well, however the worker must be willing to work long hours and be able to maintain a professional attitude when dealing with clients. Gave me great experience with bar tending and customer satisfaction.

ConsWorking from Philadelphia, there is absolutely no connection from the main offices, located in New York. The decentralization has both pros and cons, but the cons far outweigh the pros. There are on site 'captains' to report to, and HR representatives are always available on call in New York. Just lack of a Philadelphia office is detrimental to cultivating a comfortable work environment, which RA strives to achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementCentralization of Philadelphia offices, quarterly raises, incentives to pick up shifts, online scheduling, to avoid long messages from Andy who doesn't work there any more. If there isn't anyone new coming in, drop the 2 minute directions speech or have it be an option to hear, not mandatory.

Gave Me Exactly What I Needed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Restaurant Associates

ProsI found work here when work was hard to find anywhere else. It enable me to support myself and gave me the time to work on what I really wanted to do.

The work is fast paced and easy once you get used to it. You will get access to some of the coolest buildings and functions in the world.

ConsMost people who do this job do it because they need money to do what they really want to do. If you are looking to grow with a career this is probably not for you.

Great pay and a lot of hours available

Butler (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time for less than a year

Prosgreat pay, overtime pay, pick your own hours, pick where you work, weekly checks, opportunity to make a lot of money, good training, seasonal

Consstrict management, expensive uniform (specialty jacket, skid proof shoes, tuxedo pants), easy to get burned out with long hours available, not much room for advancement (limited captain and pantry positions)

Advice to Senior Managementmake sure your captains are on the same page so they are giving unanimous instructions

Great opportunity, bad management

Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time for less than a year

ProsThe job is a great opportunity to hone your culinary skills. There is much room to grow and it is a good place to do it. The company has many other businesses that you could work at if you were looking to move.

ConsThe job can be really bad if you don't have good management. I have had the experience of having corrupt management within my location. It has been my experience that if you contact corporate it does not get you anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be more accountability within the company. All claims should be taken seriously. You should not just blindly believe everything you are being told by a manager because even they are capable of telling non-truths. Please trust those who see what is really going on when you can't be there to keep track of things.

It was a great place to work until they change management.

Catering Attendant (Former Employee)

I worked at Restaurant Associates full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe customers are very nice there.

ConsChanging management is not good for the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to be more nicest to they employees.

Getting Work is a Matter of Luck.

Butler (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Restaurant Associates part-time for more than a year

ProsVery flexible, great for actors, can be fun. Gave me valuable bartending experience. Went into debt while working here because the hours were too inconsistent.

ConsIt's too anonymous. You call in to a phone system to get work, so there is a lot of luck involved. Talking with guests is discouraged, which is very short-sighted of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees on a personal level, and we will feel more valued, and will be more dedicated as a result.

Too much work for so little pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Restaurant Associates full-time

ProsA great atmosphere with excellent infrastructure to work as well as a good opportunity to deal with the public and learn from daily tasks.

ConsThere are no raises at this company or opportunities to grow and eventually you end up in charge of various tasks due to layoffs and reassignment of employees without any kind of compensation for that.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe less biased and more professional, some managers in this company unfortunately does not know how to keep focused and take action unfavorable to employees only motivated by personal feuds.

Go to learn and leave before you burn out

Director of Catering (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat place to learn and make connections

Conscrazy hours little training before you start

Worked for Restaurant Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Restaurant Associates reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Restaurant Associates CEO Richard Cattani. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by Restaurant Associates employees.