Restaurant Associates

Updated December 17, 2014

Richard Cattani

Bus boy

I worked at Restaurant Associates

Pros

Union Job, A lot of hours

Cons

Managers are horrible, they look for a reason to fire you before you get into the union

do an internal audit, or do an undercover boss

I saw a dishwasher pee into a bottle as he was washing dishes. I also saw runners fix plates with their dirty fingers

Has potential if you work in one of their larger saturated markets. In Knoxville, TN they only have 1 location.

Current Employee - Cafe Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Cafe Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked with great co-workers who were willing to help each other out. Everyone except management was a team player. Lots of experienced workers too which helped.

Cons

Manaagement was unattentive or completely absent. Coporate offices were located in New York so we never got any support or relief from upper management. There was literally no training in place, we all just did what we thought was best.

Have seasoned, trained and professional people in key positions. Raises should be merit based, not seniority based. Should have some type of comp time available for OT purposes.

Its like I graduated high school just to go right back.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers are very friendly

Cons

The coworkers are either there wasting your time and chit chatting or gossiping and trying to make sure no one can get along at all.

Get the managers to behave as such, and bring order to the workplace in order to create a stable and mature environment which is very much lacking.

Amazing part-time work

Former Employee - Server in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I worked at Restaurant Associates part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility; if you're young you could go to college or only work part-time every month. Fun environment. You meet a lot of people and you don't have to work with them every day, getting a peek at interesting events. Management wasn't something you had to look over your shoulder for, although that seemed to change as I was leaving.

Cons

Opaque management. Pay was good starting out, but it never rose, and captains steal tips.Should have full-time options.

Creative Chefs

Current Employee - Executive Chef
    Current Employee - Executive Chef

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Creative company. Keeps up with trends. Appreciates innovative forward thinking. Ability to grow and transfer if you live close to a city. Great schedule depending on which type if account you work for.

Cons

Very busy, growing company that needs to promote and grow the upper management as well in order to keep up with the style and trends the are put in place.

Same as cons. Promote more senior management staff in order to be more effective and efficient. What are you waiting for?

good pay, plenty of work, but events only run during the week.

Former Employee - Butler in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Butler in New York, NY

I worked at Restaurant Associates full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is good and reliable. You never have to worry about being compensated for your time.

Cons

The automated system used to set up your availability is tedious to use and the automated call service they use to reach out to message everyone doesn't stop calling until you pickup.

It would be helpful to manage your schedule online versus using the outdated phone system.

Great internship experience

Former Employee - Management Internship in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Management Internship in New York, NY

I worked at Restaurant Associates as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great way to meet like-minded college students who are passionate about catering, food, flawless service.
    Program is designed to be full-time although individual managers do offer varying levels of flexibility.
    Was given a great deal of responsibility for an internship, while also allowed to see other RA operated properties, learn about HR and other F&B accounts.

Cons

My particular manager was not a great leader, was not motivating and frequently worked on personal matters in the office. As it was summer, she also left on vacation while leaving me in charge with only several weeks of expereince.

Be sure that the managers are qualified in addition to willing to take on an intern.

Greatful

Current Employee - Supervisor
    Current Employee - Supervisor

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is a decent job and Im greatful that they showed up.

Cons

management is always changing but I manage

Take care of the ones who are loyal to the company. Pay attention

Working with Restaurant Associates.

Former Employee - Lead Cook in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Lead Cook in Washington, DC

I worked at Restaurant Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible for employees great food and great team work.

Cons

Good benefits such as insurance

management gets along together

Good Pay and Nice Perks

Current Employee - Butler in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Butler in Washington, DC

I have been working at Restaurant Associates as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The work is not especially difficult, hours are extremely flexible, and you get to work some pretty interesting events around DC. Most of your effort is spent as a server but rarely do you have to carry a tray with more than a few glasses, or a couple of plates. The pay is also pretty good at around $17 per hour. Plus they also feed you food that is usually catered from Wolfgang Puck catering services. Only once in 4 or 5 months have I eaten food that was just kind of "average."

Cons

Your shift leaders for the most part are fair and nice but not always. Some are overly-strict with some of the company policies pertaining to uniform or promptness. In DC where traffic is sometimes hellacious, a little understanding would go a long way. Also, co-workers can sometimes be lazy, inefficient, and unmotivated. When you are all getting paid the same per hour no matter how much effort you are actually expending, this is aggravating.

Enforce the rules strictly but only those that matter most; for the rest of the rules, have some common-sense understanding. Also, keep an eye on your employees as much as possible to make sure they aren't taking advantage by just standing around doing nothing, or sneaking away food without you noticing.

Restaurant Associates Photos