Restaurant Associates

Richard Cattani

Restaurant Associates review

Current Employee - Executive Chef in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in New York, NY

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits for the restaurant industry. Good work life balance with an abundance of jobs in the more traditional Mon-Fri daytime scenario. Parent company is Compass group which offers the ability to move to other businesses within the same umbrella in other parts of the country.

Cons

Company is heavily focused in Business and Industry/Museums serving high volume cafe style food. We do it very well but leaves some chefs a yearning to go back into the fine dining side of the industry where food quality and presentation is king.

Good company for continued growth.

I have been working at Restaurant Associates

Pros

Large opportunity for growth.
    Lots of openings in other areas of interests

Cons

Low pay
    Coddles to union labor
    Little vacation

No Raise in over 8 Years for CxRA on-call workers

Current Employee - Butler/Captain in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Butler/Captain in New York, NY

I have been working at Restaurant Associates (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility of schedule. Easy work for the most part. Workers may be the most diverse group of any catering company.

Cons

No raises have been given to butlers or captains for years. No reviews given either. Company didn't tell 100s of us we had newly-issued paid sick leave for 6 months. No appreciation for employees who have been working there for a while who know the idiosyncrasies of the different locations at which we work. No opportunity for job growth.

Offer a raise to your dedicated staff who you rely on for those 5am gigs, who know what to do when they show up at the different units. Offer performance reviews so employees know where they stand.

Bus boy

I worked at Restaurant Associates

Pros

Union Job, A lot of hours

Cons

Managers are horrible, they look for a reason to fire you before you get into the union

do an internal audit, or do an undercover boss

I saw a dishwasher pee into a bottle as he was washing dishes. I also saw runners fix plates with their dirty fingers

Has potential if you work in one of their larger saturated markets. In Knoxville, TN they only have 1 location.

Current Employee - Cafe Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Cafe Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Worked with great co-workers who were willing to help each other out. Everyone except management was a team player. Lots of experienced workers too which helped.

Cons

Manaagement was unattentive or completely absent. Coporate offices were located in New York so we never got any support or relief from upper management. There was literally no training in place, we all just did what we thought was best.

Have seasoned, trained and professional people in key positions. Raises should be merit based, not seniority based. Should have some type of comp time available for OT purposes.

Its like I graduated high school just to go right back.

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The customers are very friendly

Cons

The coworkers are either there wasting your time and chit chatting or gossiping and trying to make sure no one can get along at all.

Get the managers to behave as such, and bring order to the workplace in order to create a stable and mature environment which is very much lacking.

Amazing part-time work

Former Employee - Server in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Server in Washington, DC

I worked at Restaurant Associates part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility; if you're young you could go to college or only work part-time every month. Fun environment. You meet a lot of people and you don't have to work with them every day, getting a peek at interesting events. Management wasn't something you had to look over your shoulder for, although that seemed to change as I was leaving.

Cons

Opaque management. Pay was good starting out, but it never rose, and captains steal tips.Should have full-time options.

Creative Chefs

Current Employee - Executive Chef
    Current Employee - Executive Chef

I have been working at Restaurant Associates full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Creative company. Keeps up with trends. Appreciates innovative forward thinking. Ability to grow and transfer if you live close to a city. Great schedule depending on which type if account you work for.

Cons

Very busy, growing company that needs to promote and grow the upper management as well in order to keep up with the style and trends the are put in place.

Same as cons. Promote more senior management staff in order to be more effective and efficient. What are you waiting for?

good pay, plenty of work, but events only run during the week.

Former Employee - Butler in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Butler in New York, NY

I worked at Restaurant Associates full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and reliable. You never have to worry about being compensated for your time.

Cons

The automated system used to set up your availability is tedious to use and the automated call service they use to reach out to message everyone doesn't stop calling until you pickup.

It would be helpful to manage your schedule online versus using the outdated phone system.

Great internship experience

Former Intern - Management Internship in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Management Internship in New York, NY

I worked at Restaurant Associates as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great way to meet like-minded college students who are passionate about catering, food, flawless service.
    Program is designed to be full-time although individual managers do offer varying levels of flexibility.
    Was given a great deal of responsibility for an internship, while also allowed to see other RA operated properties, learn about HR and other F&B accounts.

Cons

My particular manager was not a great leader, was not motivating and frequently worked on personal matters in the office. As it was summer, she also left on vacation while leaving me in charge with only several weeks of expereince.

Be sure that the managers are qualified in addition to willing to take on an intern.

Restaurant Associates Photos