Restaurant.com
www.restaurant.com Arlington Heights, IL 150 to 499 Employees

Restaurant.com Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
Restaurant.com – Las Vegas – “Restaurant.com - Annual West Regional Meeting…”

Kenneth Chessick

Pros:
  • "Free parking; relaxed dress code"
    in 4 reviews
  • "The company has a casual work environment"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "They micro manage and don't let people do what they're hired to do"
    in 5 reviews
  • "They laid off the entire sales force,"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Companies going under FAST

I worked at Restaurant.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, relaxed dress code

ConsThe new CEO ran the company into the ground. It's a sinking ship and going down fast. HUGE layoffs every month or two, lots of terminations, mandatory furlough days, and all the smart ones are getting out while the gettings good! Everyone knows this company will be gone by the end of this year.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's too late for advice. The CEO has run it into the ground. Upper management has had it's priorities wrong for too long. My only advice now is don't go down with the sinking ship!

Love It

Software Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Restaurant.com full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Environment. Lots of really smart people in all deprtments. Like being able to go to work in jeans. Get to have lots of fun. I have been promoted 2x's since I started at Restaurant.com. You get to work with the latest technologies and systems. Overall, employees are treated really great and paid really well.

ConsThings change quickly at Restaurant.com, so if you are not a person that likes change, then this is not the environment for you. It is very fast paced and you have to be able to think on your feet.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more information with the employees and communicate better about the goals and direction.

The best days are gone for Restaurant.com

I worked at Restaurant.com full-time

ProsThe workplace was fairly relaxed, aside from the layoffs, and the fact that no one knew what was going on. Some members of HR and other departments tried to make a fun work place with events and activities, but those too were cut for various reasons. Most of the employees were a good group, with a few exceptions, but generally easy to get along with.

ConsManagement is terrible from the top down. There are constant changes in priorities and the direction of the company. This isn't a "think on your feet" change because of a change of scope on a project, these are major changes in the direction and philosophy of the company. These changes are part of the reason the selection of restaurants is constantly decreasing. Restaurant owners don't see the value of the company and neither do consumers.

People that knew what they were doing were laid off in one of the two rounds of layoffs that happened within 12-18 months of each other in 2012 and 2013. The layoffs weren't just removing under performers, they got rid of core people in Marketing and IT and crippled these already dysfunctional departments.

Promotions only come when the layoffs happen. People get laid off and then more quit and people move up. Since the last round of layoffs there have been even more employees leaving the company which only further worsens its future.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and advisers that really know the business. Don't make changes to your business model simply for the sake of making changes.

Fun environment with lots of perks

Inside Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Restaurant.com full-time for less than a year

ProsThe inside sales department offers a fun, competitive environment with lots of incentives and bonuses to fatten up my paycheck on top of my monthly commissions and base salary. The sales management team is great and has really helped sharpen my closing skills so it has become much easier to add restaurants to our great marketing program. Playing ping pong and darts everyday is an added bonus!

ConsNeeds clearer lines of communication from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible. Spend more time with the employees that make Restaurant.com a great place to work!

Started off strong and the began meandering after multiple leadership changes

Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Restaurant.com full-time for more than a year

Pros-Extremely relaxed work atmosphere
-Terrific for early career
-Very hands on across Marketing and IT

Cons-Leadership doesn't communicate to each other
-No consistent vision or direction
-No employee reviews
-Recently became an unstable environment
-Far too many knee jerk reactions and decision making

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a truly introspective look, the company does not provide a great value to both restaurants and consumers anymore. The focus is not in the areas that can drive revenue and grow partnerships. Get better restaurants on board and leverage your top talent at the company to realign your goals and strategy. Beyond that - choose a strategy and stick with it before pivoting too quickly.

Fake sales figures and fake growth forecasts.

Inside Sales Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Restaurant.com full-time for less than a year

ProsCooking the books for years. Keep up the good work. Maybe someone will believe you.

ConsThe company is an absolute disaster. The sales force staff do not have a clue, the IT department is useless, marketing are a bunch of idiots and the senior management are not fit to clean toilets.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive it up. It's over. Go home and lock the door behind you. Don't forget to turn out the lights, too.

Stay away not a good experience

I have been working at Restaurant.com full-time for more than a year

Prosrelaxed atmosphere, dress code very casual and comfortable, the co workers are great bunch of people, benefits are good.

ConsWorst job I ever had. Leadership team is young and inexperienced. NO communication what so ever. Training was a joke. Top management unethical and lack of integrity which trickled down to the workers. Knee jerk decisions being made with no clear guidelines. Very unprofessional environment - loud and use of profanity is very common during the working hours. The unorganized chaos tells me that this company is in trouble.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to school and learn management/leadership skills because you are running this company into the ground.

Was a great company and product, but no value left

I have been working at Restaurant.com full-time for more than a year

ProsCasual work environment, that HAD solid Marketing and IT talent.
The corporate culture WAS great a few years back and people loved to work there
There was always a challenge to tackle and people to help you tackle it

ConsPoor senior management choices that do not benefit restaurants or customers
Constant shift of priorities to non-revenue driving initiatives
IT held back by artificially induced timelines from senior management, which cause major rework
Marketing held back by IT constraints, resulting from the artificial timelines

Advice to Senior ManagementShame on you for running this company into the ground

Stay Away, Huge Swings in Hiring and Layoffs

I worked at Restaurant.com full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople are nice, free discount cards.

ConsSr. Management is arrogant and think they know everything (if they do why are so many restaurants leaving the program, why is revenue down, why are talented people running for the door?). They micro manage and don't let people do what they're hired to do. In my entire career I've never met a more incompetent technology department.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to someone who knows how to run a company. You don't.

The company has no real value anymore

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Restaurant.com full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay is average for a suburban company, and it is located in a good area of the NW suburbs. The staff appraisal and pay increase process works by how liked you are by certain key players, not by your ability. If the right people like you, you will get a decent pay rise, otherwise forget it. If you are good at self-promotion, you could do well at this company.

ConsRestaurant.com is an awful place to work. Your best efforts are often lost in a sea of incompetency and dishonesty, and the benefits are far below industry standard. The recent move to cloud services has not been a good choice for the company as it does not really have the in-house skills to deal with cloud services.

The sales figures are artificially inflated as they do not take cancellations into account. There have also been instances of dishonest sales figure reporting. Marketing forecasts do not materialize into real world gains as A/B testing experiments are not carried out as mutually exclusive events, making any predicted sales increases more fiction than fact. The predicted future of the company on paper does not reflect reality.

Restaurant.com, under poor senior management, lumbers on, unable or unwilling to change its current course. The company looks almost certain to fail in the next few months a result. Restaurant.com has lost most of its highly skilled workers in the past year, and the talent pool has hollowed out.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf revenue keeps dropping, you will soon be another Dot-com disaster story of the past. Stop looking for someone to ride in and save you. No-one is going to throw money down a bottomless pit. Get your act together and return to the business model that made you profitable 2 years ago. Show some courage and tell the owner you have made some big mistakes before it is too late.

Worked for Restaurant.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Restaurant.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Restaurant.com CEO Kenneth Chessick. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by Restaurant.com employees.