Restaurant.com Reviews

Updated May 28, 2014
Updated May 28, 2014

1.9

Kenneth Chessick

Pros
  • Free parking; relaxed dress code (in 4 reviews)

• The company has a casual work environment (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They micro manage and don't let people do what they're hired to do (in 5 reviews)

• Restaurant owners don't see the value of the company and neither do consumers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

What could have been

Former Employee - IT/Web Developer  in  Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - IT/Web Developer in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Restaurant.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Years ago RDC had a very interesting value proposition in the industry. It was poised to be a very exciting new company in this new space.

Cons

New management decided to make money today at the expense of its future potential. There is absolutely zero quality control on the restaurants that are coming on board. In many, many cases restaurants are being signed up without their knowledge/consent. This is the end result of Greed being a core competency above all else. Sad.

Resign and beg to former CEO to come back and right this ship. This company could/should have been Groupon, GrubHub. My guess is that current CEO/owner will sell to the highest bidder at the first chance.

Hear the truth from a current employee

Current Employee - Sales  in  Arlington Heights, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Arlington Heights, IL

I have been working at Restaurant.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

The dress code is awesome, jeans and t-shirts are fine.Co-workers are fun and helpful. Management have a nice demeanor and try to help everyone succeed at making quota.

Cons

Basically, there is no integrity or honesty at RDC. The script that is written has flagrant lies in it, and restaurants have no say in what type of marketing they would like to do in regards to the program. When cold calling, I hope to try to reach an owner that has never heard of RDC, because if they have, they know to steer clear. Employees either quit or are let go within a year. They have recently changed the commission structure to deny commissions to employees who do not make quota (which also changes on a regular basis). That means if someone who has hit their quota every month for the past year has a bad month (or goes on vacation), they will be missing out on over $1,000 in commission. This forces salespeople to falsify agreements to hit unrealistic quotas, and further damages the company's reputation. To "succeed" at RDC, you must be able to sacrifice your honor and reputation to blatantly lie to restaurant partners. I am quickly realizing that RDC is a company that cares only about putting more money in the pocket of the CEO (a lawyer- so what does that tell you). Used car salesmen have more integrity than RDC salespeople. I am ashamed to say I work at Restaurant.com. I feel like a thief and a liar, and can no longer pretend that things will get better. Worst of all, management really believes they are looking out for the best interests of their employees, partners and customers. They are either delusional or they cry themselves to sleep every night because they know they are slaves to a tyrant.

If there is hell below- you're all gonna go.

Account Manager

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Restaurant.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I first started HR hosted many fun picnics and events throughout the year. Wednesdays they catered Bagels, Fridays there was an assortment of delicious fruit. The direct managers were great people. The co-workers were great too. Insurance was less expensive than smaller companies.

Cons

The Sales team frequently falsely signs up restaurants on the program and as an Account Manager, you had to deal with the aftermath (really angry owners). There are no more company perks, The cubicles are crammed together with barely enough room to put your elbows out. Less than 25% of incoming calls from restaurants are positive. CEO barely makes his presence known to the company, makes a lot of rash decisions and tends to lay off people frequently on a whim. There is no sense of job security. I was told I would be promoted many times but instead of adding more management positions they took them away.

Quality is more important than Quantity. The perks that once were, were an inexpensive way to keep up morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's a complete mess...don't take a job here.

I worked at Restaurant.com full-time

Pros

Free parking; relaxed dress code.

Cons

They are running on a skeleton crew; and the remaining staff are under qualified & overextended.

So many key employees were either let go or resigned within the last year that now the only people left to do the work and take on bigger responsibilities are not qualified to do so. The place is now run by a bunch of kids who think they know everything but don't have enough professional experience to justify being given so much authority. Upper management is just reacting to whatever is going on and not really paying attention to what the rest of the employees are saying...as long as you can make them look good, they don't care what the staff is doing. This has created an awful environment where anything goes...passive aggressive behavior, people who play favorites, and professional politics run rampant.

The work environment is depressing...empty cubicles, sad looking beanbags (presumably to appeal to the kids who work there?), and the sales people are all shoved like cattle into a large room that feels like a sweatshop. I feel bad for the people who work here.

If the company is sold to a new owner, the only answer would be to start from scratch with new staff and a brand new vision to this business. The glory days of restaurant.com are so over.

The worst company - Management is horrible

Former Employee - N/A
    Former Employee - N/A

I worked at Restaurant.com full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The pros are I no longer work at RDC I now work for a company that is awesome and treats the employee as part of the family

Cons

All I can say is if anyone is thinking about going work for RDC DON'T do it. PLEASE DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND LOOK ELSE WHERE.

SELL THE PLACE OR CLOSE THE DOORS. KENNEY CHESSICK SUCKS AS A PERSON ALL HE IS OUT FOR IS PUTTING MORE MONEY IN HIS POCKET

Once a great company to work for

I have been working at Restaurant.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Two years ago, the company was all about hiring. Each dept was booming rapidly year by year for several years.

Cons

Not any more. After a big layoff this year, people were scared and leaving week by week. We lost about 2/3 of the valuable colleagues. What's next? Don't know.

For the CEO, just undo whatever you are doing.

It was a great place to work awhile back, but no more....

I worked at Restaurant.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unfortunately the Pros are all gone. It was a great mix of people who all worked well together for a common purpose. There were HR sponsored fun activities and other great team building activities as well as Bagel Wednesday and Fresh Fruit Friday. Now all of the people that made it great are gone as well as the bagels and fruit (well there is one fruit left that I know of...)

Cons

I don't need to add anything here except this - read the other reviews; I think 43 of the 46 reviews are negative, and I am certain that at least 2 of the positive reviews are by inside middle management. Its sad to see what happened, as it was a great place at one time, but that time is gone. I hope Ken can sell it and that the firm survives and flourishes once again.

1. Add value for the restaurant partners 2. replace your taco stands with finer dining establishments 3.replace any references to '18,000' restaurants with the real count on any and all web pages - that could come back to bite you if you don't do that.

they bullied me when I worked there and they badmouthed me after I left

I worked at Restaurant.com

Pros

it is possible to make a lot of money there

Cons

the director is very mean, the managers micromanage their employees to death, and after I left the company a couple of people told me that the managers said false and disparaging things about me to the rest of the company

do not badmouth employees, settle whatever issues you have with them one on one, do not make nasty speeches about former employees to the entire company, establish a more professional atmosphere, get a director who is a little bit nicer and a little more level-headed

Former Customer Service Representative

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Arlington Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Arlington Heights, IL

I worked at Restaurant.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great leadership from the management. They were always good at helping me refine my sales and customer service skills. Others that I worked with were very friendly and fun.

Cons

The pay was not great, but I heard that it has gotten better. I had to be available on the weekends, but I can see how that would be good for some people.

CS leads should keep doing what they're doing.

Too many changes...and not for the better

I have been working at Restaurant.com full-time

Pros

The people are always great to work with and willing to help, it can be a fun atmosphere, and it is very laid back.

Cons

The executive management has a reactive approach. Priorities shift on a dime, and while nimbleness is great, it doesn't allow any one strategy to get thoroughly flushed out and executed right (or at all) before running to the next one.

Listen to your employees.

Worked for Restaurant.com? Contribute to the Community!