Restaurants Unlimited Reviews

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

1.9

Chris Harter

Large west coast presence with opportunities to move to other locations

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Scheduling online was nice. Good quality food products that drew guests in. Opportunity to move to other restaurant locations. Training was good.

Cons

Most locations were on the west coast so it limited if you wanted to move around east coast. Menu was great for west coast types of restaurants vs the types of dishes expected out east.

It used to be a good company, but not anymore!

Former Employee - Dinner Server  in  Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Dinner Server in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The money can be good for a server. It was busy, fast paced, and guests were nice.

Cons

When I first started with the company, one of their core values was "We hire the best and take care of them"' Well. no longer. After working with the company for almost 29 years I couldn't even get a schedule I wanted. They also started using "on call " shifts far more than they used to, which makes it very hard to plan when you have a busy life.

Please, stop using the on call shifts so much. While it gives you a little flexibility for having me come in maybe by 15 min. or not at all. It is extremely inconvenient for the employee who might like to make plans. It's doesn't feel fair to have these on call shifts, as well as not getting a schedule two days before the next week, and if I request a day off way in advance, if you need me to work forget about it!

Sucky suck suck

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Coworkers are the only reason I stayed

Cons

I sacrificed almost 10 years for this company, worked every holiday and filled in as a supervisor during multiple management changes. All of this counted for nothing. Forced out by new gm because I challenged his poor managerial decisions. Your loss, rui. Continue schlepping your overpriced, corporate crap. Much happier at your direct competitor. BOYCOTT FOR LIFE

Tell your CEO to stop sleeping with the employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Proceed with Caution...other restaurant companies are better

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited

Pros

Most co-workers are very nice

Cons

listed to other reviews...and proceed with caution

Was Once A Wonderful Company, Now Awful with Sun Capital Running It

Former Employee - Server/Host/Supervisor  in  Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Server/Host/Supervisor in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited for more than 10 years

Pros

The Servers and kitchen staff were great to work with.

Cons

The culture from the Home Office was just awful. Threats, nasty e-mails, constant turnover ,unwillingness to spend money on a VERY old building,(think freezing cold) while taking the GM's on yearly luxury vacations. Took away our 401k, made it impossible to keep our health insurance, etc. After Rich Komen sold it, everything changed.
    I spent 22 years there, it used to be like a second family. Now it's just corporate, tacky, (table tents?) and it's a glorified Shari's. Really, Really Bad.

Return to the values the company was so successfully built on. "We hire the best and Take care of them." Remember that? It fostered LOYALTY. Which is not valued at all. How about "Guest First?" That's what made people return to spend a lot of many for a plate of food. All those coupons and stupid promotions make us look desparate. And that is exactly what RUI will be soon, I believe.

A very nice place to work

Former Employee - Food Server  in  Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Food Server in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company cared about there employee's. 401 K company match program. Felt like we were all a family, very team orientated. I enjoyed my 12yrs. Working there.

Cons

A very busy restaurant was tough to keep up sometimes.

I felt at sometimes we were under to much scrutiny.

Great people, management rules with an iron fist and fear.

Former Employee - Campaign Marketing Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Campaign Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work environment is fun but make a mistake and wait to be lead to the chopping block. While I worked with the company, I saw more people get fired than any other organization I have ever worked with. I did enjoy my time there but was always watching my back and always waited to get canned.

Cons

Fear of getting fired. Lack of growth opportunities.

Stop ruling the organization with fear. Learn to lead by way of encouraging your team to aspire to greatness rather than by creating this dictatorship iron fist leadership style. I forecast that that style will ultimately fail.

A wasted career move

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Young crew, fast-paced environment. Hotschedules. Systems and tools from the 80's (not much has changed, though, including the food).

Cons

Focus of company is misleading--it's only about bottom line to investors. It's not really about the food, experience, or employees. "kung-pow nachos"?! Really?! A group of chain restaurants trying to be taken seriously in a full-service setting. Better value can be found at Landry's or elsewhere.
    Company is financially panicked into making irrational decisions, which can be shown in their abnormally high turnover rater in management, caliber of service, and insatiable lust for discounting and coupons. A company ran this way has bigger problems to work on if this remains the goal.

Watch out for back stabbers within the company. The culture of RUI is one that encourages it if you want to move up, should you roll that way in the first place. This goes all the way to the home office in Seattle. "Yes men" will last awhile here, but don't plan on changing the world with your resume and experience--those are not important here.

Meh.

Current Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Restaurants Unlimited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Exciting, fast paced environment. Ability to move around within the company.

Cons

Must relocate to advance your career.

Menus and offers need to be updated.

Worst Company I Have Ever Worked For

Former Employee - Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is excellent, and benefits package is comparable to similar companies.

Cons

Home office rules your world. Do as they say or get out of the way. There is very little room for on-site managers to have an opinion on the operations. Also, trust no one! Nothing is held in confidence and people will stab you in the back to move up.

Stop moving managers around so much. While it looks great from a financial standpoint you are actually punishing the restaurant staff with each and every move. The staff wants good management and consistency. Switching out store leadership constantly provides neither.

Worked for Restaurants Unlimited? Contribute to the Community!