Restoration Hardware

www.restorationhardware.com

Restoration Hardware Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Gary Friedman

Pros
  • The discount is great but the furniture is too expensive to make purchases often(in 8 reviews)

• Some of the people who work there (the ones who do all the work, really) are great people(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Which I would say Bravo as this is, invoking the Core Values People Asset to a tee(in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance and benefits are fine but could be better(in 14 reviews)

Lost that lovin' feeling

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsBeautiful furnishings that are timeless. They put out a fabulous catalog that makes it easy to wish or actually put a room together. Anyone who wants to furnish a home beautifully most certainly can do that at RH!

ConsThey lost their retro intriguing items that took you back in time. They moved away from hardware and now when you walk in it's all about the minimal look. Be careful of your pocketbook because you have to open it up very wide. Got to be a stuffy nosed atmosphere; the fun went away. The staff isn't as important as it should be.

Advice to Senior ManagementUsed to be a store that hit all your senses and it was a fun place to work. Customers enjoyed their the store and service but now it's just not fun. The dark atmosphere and a high turnover rate doesn't make it a place to connect with the customer for long.

Challenging, innovative, rule breaking company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsWorking with a great team of committed people; creating a truly wordclass lifestyle retail brand; beautiful products; inspirational CEO/Founder (even if he is incredibly demanding); great values framework and lots of focus on leadership development

ConsThe constant challenge to constantly get things 100% right and implemented yesterday can be stressful...or exciting; people either fit with and love the culture or they don't

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep being the crazy ones!

Run, don't walk, away from this company!

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe designs are lovely and your teammates, for the most part, will be kind, respectful and hard-working people to work with. It's a creative environment that, when encouraged, will make your days interesting.

ConsThe "culture" is not inclusive and is so very disappointing in reality. On paper "People, Quality, Service, Innovation" are great core values. I was drawn to them and to the prospect of actually implementing them within a team. In reality, they are a sham. Lots of talk, very little action. When the rubber hits the road as they say (i.e. when the sales aren't rolling in daily), the values go out the window. The product has numerous issues from quality and availability. Be prepared to handle lots of customer service and stock issues if you work here.
    The motto here is "All In". You hear it everywhere. Upper management uses the phrase as a closing in their emails. All In for this group means "no space for anything or anyone else". There is very little respect for your family life/needs and personal time. If you are salaried, you will work 60-70 hrs/wk. It is expected. If you need time off or want to take your vacation, you will be scorned and you can forget about upward mobility. If you are hourly, you will have your hours cut to the bare minimum by law in order to meet unrealistic payroll percentages.
    The company methodology is very chaotic as well. Cloaked in a mask of "creative innovation", plans are rolled out last minute (even for major projects like a store opening or stock room renovation). But wait - those plans will change! Change is great and can be wonderful, but this disorganization is driven by the ego of the CEO. Upper management decisions often seem to come out of the blue, leaving the front line employees bewildered and exhausted.
    Management at the store level is not empowered or supported to make local decisions. Data and metrics that are absolutely expected for a retail manager, like accurate sales figures, sales by associate, conversion, top sellers, etc. is not shared with the store level managers. Their hands are tied, making it very difficult for them to drive success.
    There is an "in" crowd, basically the VP of Stores, Regional Leaders and a few select Gallery Leaders that can do no wrong. When you are not part of the "in" crowd, and most of us aren't, your voice is not important and your job is not secure.

Advice to Senior ManagementOn a basic level, invest in your technology. Store systems are incredibly outdated, making an already challenging job that much harder. It looks really awful to your clients as well. Make the metrics available to the store managers. Let them run their teams and their businesses.
    Listen to your investors! If you want to see better sales, get some color options on display in your retail locations. Make the ability to see samples of hardware and drapery easier for the customer. Having your team go back to the stock room to retrieve samples to show (that may, or may not, be there) is incredibly inefficient. It also looks so amateur to the client. Put a sign on every building that actually says "RH Restoration Hardware". Customers do not understand a building with little signage. (your investors know that too).
    Respect your people. They work really, really hard for you. Guarantee hours for hourly so that they can make a living. Create a realistic work/life balance for salaried so that they can care for themselves, family and friends. Build an honest and respectful relationship with your store teams and you will have a loyal workforce that will move mountains for you.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved Working Here

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThis company treats their people with great respect and kindness. They follow their core values to the tee.

ConsI have no cons to mention.

Great Retail Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay and company values. Great people to work with. Good benefits.

ConsHeavy lifting at times. Long hours at holidays

Most challenging and rewarding career of my life!!

ProsTheir Core Values are applied to their business daily. The values are strong and with that comes a lot of accountability to the people. They do not expect to change anyone, they only hope to attract others with the same values. People who struggle with our culture often have a different outlook on our values, or have their own set of values and that's ok. At the end of the day we are all human and people in this company do make mistakes like everyone else. But the values are still the best thing about working for RH.
    Very close to their people, VP, Regional and even CEO have a good handle on who their people are, and even by name. Very rare!
    Largest assortment of home furnishing for their associates and designers to work from. Endless opportunities to create and design beautiful spaces.
    Wages way above avg for retail, competitive for designers.
    This company has just got started. success never happens overnight and Canada has plenty of room to grow.
    I work with many people that have been at RH for over 12 years. People don't stay for 12 plus years in retail unless it's a good place to work. It was a good sign to me when I was doing my research on RH.

ConsNot much to gripe about. Rh has been good to me on all levels. If you love what you do you take the good with the bad. "eat the meat and spit out the bones" I always say! No job is perfect and at least I know I have a voice and can speak up for things that can be better. I do not rely on others to fix problems I can change myself.
    As most of us know, people quit their boss not a company. Seems as though most negative comments are aimed towards their managers. Fortunately I don't have anyone in my business life that makes me want to quit what I love doing.
     And some general advice, if you ever find you don't love what you do anymore...change what you do. Own it. Don't wait for someone else to change. Life is too short to be bitter.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire right! Don't give false hope to your people. Set reasonable and clear expectations so your people know where they stand in the business. Honesty and accountability are more important than just being nice (although nice does help). Spend as much time possible with every person on your team. If your employees seem surprised by your critical feedback then you are not balancing it out they enough praise or you are not consistent enough. They must always feel like feedback comes with positive intent. They need to know you see both the good and the challenges.
    Good luck out there!

Unfortunate experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI cannot point to one positive element at the company.

ConsFrom the people to the "core values" the company operates by saying things that sound good in theory but are the antithesis of its operational practices. Lookism, racism, ageism and greed are the actual values, as judged from its practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice the values you preach. Words are just words. Show your values. Don't say one thing and do the opposite.

Sales Associate

Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) Columbia, MD

ProsEmployee discount is great. You learn a lot about the products and work with interesting customers. Our sales team was amazing.

ConsYou work weekends, night, holidays. When it is slow, hours at cut to a bear minimum. In the end, you feel dispensable. We were pushed very hard to meet and exceed sales goals.

Ok Place to work.

Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThey have a good employee discount although, even with the discount, most items are still out of reach.
    Had a lot of fun with customers.
    I was really well trained as a sales lead. I learned all aspects of running a retail store including sales, customer service, accounting, hiring, visual merchandising, and stock and inventory management.

ConsStanding all day!
    3AM Floor moves to keep the store "looking fresh".
    Psycho Store Managers. Not all were bad, but the ones that were...hell.

Learning Experience.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Aventura, FL

ProsPart-time opportunity to get through school.
    The other sales leads were very friendly and nice.
    Seemed to be great camaraderie minus management.

ConsManagement was very manipulative.
    They cut associate's hours based on personal matters.
    Did not pay well and the raises were questionable.
    Some management had an elitist mentality and were not nice to customers.
    They also deceived certain associates on actual benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up. To be a great manager you must lead by example. Actually live by the core values you set in place.

Worked for Restoration Hardware? Contribute to the Community!