Restoration Hardware
www.restorationhardware.com Corte Madera, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Restoration Hardware Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Gary Friedman

Pros:
  • "The discount is great but the furniture is too expensive to make purchases often"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Some of the people who work there (the ones who do all the work, really) are great people"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Which I would say Bravo as this is, invoking the Core Values People Asset to a tee"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Zero work life balance, company leaders are manipulative and mean to employees"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Innovative, growing company that is full of opportunity.

Corte Madera, CA

ProsRestoration Hardware has changed dramatically since I joined back in 2012, and all for the better. The company is growing, we are adding tons of employees, and the innovative new product lines we have created have established us as a one-of-a-kind company. Transferring within the company is encouraged and promotions are always looked at first rather than recruiting externally. Growth potential is huge in this company because of the many different departments that we keep adding. The work space has all been newly remodeled and all of the offices are decorated in RH furniture with our signature "Resto grey" on the walls. It truly is an amazing place to work!

ConsI do not have anything negative to say about RH. We are continuing to better ourselves as we grow. There are always things that can improve, such as benefits, but I am perfectly content with what we are offered.

For the first time in my life, I am sad on days that I can't go to work.

Studio Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Corte Madera, CA

ProsI love working for Restoration Hardware because management constantly makes me feel like my work is vital to the success of the company. I really enjoy working in such a creative environment. My work is always interesting and almost never repetitive. I feel like the day I got this job was a pivotal point in my life.

ConsI have a brutal commute but that is not Restoration Hardwares fault. I plan on moving for this job and I love my house.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote me.

Great culture, great potential

ProsThe culture at RH is life changing and if it's aligned with your personality/beliefs, you will be happy here. This is a unique environment--innovative, fast-paced, challenging, chaotic and, at times, confusing. If you are someone who is flexible, open minded, outgoing and eager to learn new things, you will most likely enjoy being here.

Average benefits package, lots of caring leadership, beautiful work spaces at home office and plenty of exposure to interesting areas of the business. People are generally very friendly and helpful. The people working in the galleries and outlets are fantastic--truly talented, warm and intelligent.

ConsSome systems are slightly out-dated. Technology is becoming more important, but has not been previously.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider where you are--you're in the Bay Area. How can you modify things at RH to remain competitive and become an industry leader in attracting and retaining talent? Be innovative with benefits. Encourage flexibility in schedules. Make sure all people at home office have access to the same perks.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture!

ProsValues based culture, innovative & dynamic company who isn't afraid to take risks, casual atmosphere, great people, and beautiful office spaces with RH furniture & accessories.

ConsThis is a really dynamic environment that isn't for everyone, but the right people will find it to be an amazing company to work for. It's very fast paced and because we are so innovative, things change quickly. You need to be flexible and adaptive as it's not the most structured company. The lack of structure is what allows us to move so fast and integrate new ideas easily.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore all - associate meetings, business updates. More company events.

It's a great company to work for with a "can do" attitude.

Corte Madera, CA

ProsThe environment/work space is physically beautiful to work in. The people are friendly, helpful, and are always there to support you. We are a values based company which supports open and honest communication and removes obstacles to enable you to get your job done.

ConsIt can be a little chaotic to work here, but fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more leadership meetings, more training meetings, look into ESPP and 401k match. All these things would make the company competitive.

Great company with an amazing culture

Leader (Current Employee)
    Corte Madera, CA

ProsRestoration Hardware truly believes in their people. You have the freedom to innovate and strive to make things better for the entire company. If you deliver in your role, you will advance your career and learn a lot a long the way.

ConsNone that I can think of. Restoration Hardware is transforming the retail environment and the way people shop for high quality home goods.

UPSCALE FURNISHINGS & ACCESSORIES STORE

Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosquality products, comraderie amongst staff, store bonuses based on store volume, upscale sophisticated clientele, calming music, subdued lighting and friendly staff.

Consas a member of the seasonal staff, you are let go with almost no notice, and although they say they will call you back when they get busy again or for the next season, that didn't happen with me.

Growing company trying to change culture to match their direction but not there yet.

ProsGreat brand
    Aspirational Core Values
    Good discount
    Leader in industry

ConsCore Values are not a part of the culture yet. It seems to have ex-large company folks trying to be agile/entrepreneurial so they talk the talk but do not know quite what it means on a day to day basis.

Fear seems to be an issue at the mid-level of management as well as cliques

Marketing and decision making does not seem coordinated or thoughtful.

Old world OB thinking.

Advice to Senior ManagementBelieve and act on your own core values
    Until you get rid of fear, no innovation will occur at lower ranks
    Lots of ceilings and current staff not used to their potential - wasted talent.

Great products - not very generous to employees

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsYou get to work in a Beautiful environment. The company produces Quality products. People like the product selection and customization options. Employees receive 40% Discount on products.

ConsThe "resto rules" are cult like! Do not say anything negative about anything!! You cannot have ANY personal problems! Everyone is very fake. The compensation or benefits for part timers (even at 32 hours/week) is not industry standard. The company is more what can you do for the company than what can we do for each other...

Advice to Senior ManagementStore leaders need to be more mature and have more experience. The Design program needs to be cultivated and expanded in Saint Louis.

This was the worst job i ever had. The supervisors ran around like they were in charge of their own kingdom.

Cusgtomer (Former Employee)

Prosthe only thing that was good were the other employees.

Consshift changes, constant monitoring treating employees like children, i actually saw one supervisor go and physically turn someone around in their chair and yell at them, another time they yelled at an employee for giving herself an insulin shot at the desk, another employee was fired for using the wrong cup

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck on the supervisor you grew quickly and some off them were giddy with power

Worked for Restoration Hardware? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Restoration Hardware reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Restoration Hardware CEO Gary Friedman. All 185 reviews posted anonymously by Restoration Hardware employees.