Restoration Hardware

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

2.9

Gary Friedman

Pros
  • The discount is great but the furniture is too expensive to make purchases often (in 8 reviews)

• Some of the people who work there (the ones who do all the work, really) are great people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Which I would say Bravo as this is, invoking the Core Values People Asset to a tee (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance and benefits are fine but could be better (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Looking for a new job

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good sales staff - Training is OK, they feed you lots about the culture but no on the floor training. Be prepared to spend your first few weeks swimming with sharks. The leadership team is terrible instead of making it feel like a team effort they MAKE the effort to make it known that you are below them. Many secrets.

Cons

There are no promotions really in Canada so don't expect to move up. They dangle carrots in front of you all the time but it never materializes. There is no office culture. Its a retail store. The leadership team likes to hide though in the only office there is. While the sales staff deal with the clients.

Get off your high horses and take it down a notch. Many of the leadership team have power authority issues and like to power trip. Remember you are just a retail manager. Not a CEO of a major corporation, belittling others is not right. Also anyone on this planet is allowed time off. Its goes across the board. Just because head office tells you as leaders that you need to work 60-70 hours a week, doesn't mean you need to take your anger out on your staff.

Forward thinking

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Company/CEO had it's finger on the pulse of aspirational home decor. Prices and quality went up just as the economy went bust and they succeeded.

Cons

As with many companies, they tout a people first environment. To be successful, you had to have no personal life outside the company. Being available 24/7 was required.

Lead Sales

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff is friendly and has a good cutomer service skills

Cons

Head office does not allocated enough budget to have enough staff during busy times such as weekends

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Assistant Gallery Leader

Current Employee - Assistant Leader
    Current Employee - Assistant Leader

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Open communication, given tools to work system, flat organization allowing feedback to all levels, growth potential

Cons

Working long hours, limited full weekends off

Trying to find another job!

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  North Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in North Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

I really like the style of furniture and the whole the company's style in total. When you walk into the gallery, it really does feel luxurious.

Cons

Some challenges working here: even though the company tries hard to inspire by holding morning meetings, incentives and positive feedback. It isn't working out as planned. The morning meetings are more of a call out coworkers faults in front of the whole group! It's quite embarrassing. Store leaders/all leaders constantly give feedback in front of customers, coworkers or anybody. It isn't positive when you are publicly shaming someone! There really aren't any incentives. No bonuses for the bottom of the food chain. The hours is also something that is a huge challenge for this company. Either you are full time or part time. That literally means either you work 65-70+ hours a week OR you have one 5 hour shift! There is no balance at all with this company. It's one extreme to the next. If you are the employee that has the one 5 hour shift a week, you may have to get another job. If you do, the company does not like it and I really think the store leaders sabotage you with your other job. I've had a leader sit me down and make me choose between the two. I said if I got more than one shift it would be an east decision, she promised she would give me more shifts. Months went by... I quit my other job and now I can barely afford the subway to get to work! I am currently looking for another job.

Store management: please stop embarrassing staff, also it wouldn't hurt to show them and admit that leaders make mistakes too and it's okay. Some of the leaders that used to work here left and they made it a joy to come in but they quit! All the best people are leaving!
    Upper Management (head office) you have no clue as to what is going on in the stores. Get up and make some visits! Don't ask leaders how they think everything is going- ask the staff!!!!

Like a mean high-school bully.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  North Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time for more than a year

Pros

40% Discount - Nice things to look at?

Cons

Benefits - There are none unless you are full time which is almost impossible to get. RH hires only part time and then eludes that one day you will be full time. Which means they don't have faith when they hire you and don't want to take care of their employees. Promotions or moving up in the company is non-existent especially if you work in a Canadian location. So my advice? Move to the states if you ever want to move anywhere in this company if you can otherwise you will be a PT Sales associate. (Don't be fooled by other titles like designer etc. this is another glimmer to get you to work here) bottom line everyone is a sales associate. Time-off policies are chosen based on favoritism. Forget taking time off ever again without being berated, belittled and made to feel guilty.

Its hard to say. What the best advice is... I think most upper management get lost eventually in the world that is RH and slowly forget what it is like to live or be truly happy in life. They forget what its like to be that underdog or that part-timer trying to make their way up. Either way management will act like a high-school clique and snub you, bully you and ultimately show you that they rule the coop and you are nothing but the gum on their shoe. Its very disappointing to know that your time at Rh is held up by a thread of favoritism by these people and not based on hard work and the employees contributions to the company. RH needs an overhaul on how they treat their people, even the bullies they deem for store managers. They did I guess once start out with a heart... I think?

Design Associate

Former Employee - Design Associate  in  West Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Design Associate in West Hollywood, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience in working wit client regarding the design of their space

Cons

Most of the job was sales on the sales floor

One of the worst

Current Employee - Store Leader  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Boston, MA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are generally friendly and kind
    Products, while monotonous in their design, make for a pretty work environment

Cons

Field and Executive management run hot and cold. They promise many things, deliver on few. It is a closed clique that thrives on a culture of demeaning and demoralizing feedback.
    They call it "disruptive" (such an overused descriptor), what it really is - chaos.
    No respect for life/work balance, family commitments or personal time. Be prepared to not get your paid holidays if you work in the retail end.
    Benefits are very lean - no 401k match, waiting periods, slim vacation time, no perks
    The "core values" and "amazing culture" are all talk, no action. It's disappointing.

Notice that the good reviews here all seem to come from Corte Madera employees. However, your business is built on the backs of your many retail employees. Break up the upper management cliques and take them off their pedestals. If the CEO would begin to demonstrate respect (shake hands? ask names? ask for feedback?) when visiting the retail locations, it would be a start.

Sink or swim

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Great location
    A lot of great coworkers in the catalog studio
    Looks good on paper

Cons

Little to no structure on good days that means it's " chaotic." On a great day it's "entrepreneurial" with a "startup" feel. On a bad one...your contract worker you hired to cut costs just packed the truck wrong and now someone's leg is shattered for life.

Look out for the little guys doing your dirty work. And remember, always be nice to the maid. She knows all the secrets.

Nice place for students who is getting degree in college

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

After one year you can get an opportunity to get health care plan. You also might have a chance to be promoted to a manager after few years of work. They also got paid vocation time off.

Cons

Basically no challenges, just routine work.

Worked for Restoration Hardware? Contribute to the Community!