Restoration Hardware

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.9

Gary Friedman

Pros
  • I met some great people that have become good friends (in 16 reviews)

• The discount is great but the furniture is too expensive to make purchases often (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Which I would say Bravo as this is, invoking the Core Values People Asset to a tee (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance and benefits are fine but could be better (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

The 'Core Values' are what the Emperor (and those drinking the Kool-Aid) hide behind. If you have any respect, RUN!!

Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee-Only Sample Sales, that's IT!

Cons

NO 401k match
    NO stock options
    NO work-from-home or flexible schedule options
    NO company culture that is lived versus on paper
    NO team building
    NO reprimands on the terrible executives and upper management jerks

ALL departments are miserable! Get a grip! NO one wants the 'Core Values' shoved in their face when everything comes down to the 'Emperors New Clothes' syndrome. Quit hiding behind 'This is just how Resto gets things done' and having ZERO regard for the fact that people have LIVES outside of this place! Ridiculous!!

Good overall experience at this company

Former Employee - Gallery Designer
    Former Employee - Gallery Designer

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People... The teams are very professional and easy to work with. They are very supportive of your career growth. The culture of the company motivates the teams and makes sure that egos do not get in the way of good performance.
    Product.... The products they offer are very high in quality. The employee discount makes it a very attractive job!

Cons

The relationship on the regional and national levels are sketchy. Although they claim that sales are not counted and they do not offer commission, they set targets and your performance is measured against the dollars you bring in. Sell Sell Sell is the mantra!
    There is not enough recognition for one's hard work and they keep pushing to do more without any incentives.

Disorganized Management

I worked at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Associate discount, reasonable compensation and benefits.

Cons

Very disorganized management, cliquey work environment, offices are very outdated, do not offer stock options to employees under Director level regardless of how long you have been with the company.

Worst Retail Employer in 20+ Years

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed my co-workers. The management at the gallery I work at are fantastic. Co-workers are very easy to get along with. Absolutely beautiful, high quality merchandise.

Cons

1. Imagine having to ring out a customer during peak holiday season, and while your customer is asking you questions and talking to you, someone ELSE is speaking into your ear (via the required earpiece) even though the conversation in your ear is not for you, and being required to ALSO answer the phone in front of you. That's 3 conversations, all while you are waiting to do a "stock check" for merchandise that SHOULD be on the sales floor, but corporate wants to maintain a specific visual appearance in the store, that is a hinderance to sales, efficiency and customer service. Now do this for 8 hours, four or five times a week. SENSORY-OVERLOAD, UNFRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT, STRESS-INDUCING.

2. Imagine having a "Floor Leader" whose responsibility is essentially NOT to help customers that approach them, but instead find them someone ELSE to help them. Customers are often told "It will be a few minutes until someone becomes available". Meanwhile, the Floor Leader simply stands in that one spot watching the floor, while the customers/guests, ask you, "why couldn't that person help me"? FRUSTRATING, DEPRESSING, DEMORALIZING.

3. Imagine working in a place that sells 1000 rugs, but only 10 to 15 are even on display. STUPID.

4. Imagine taking returns for web orders that require writing, by hand, the date, the entire order number, the customers name customers address, phone, your own sales associate number and name, and then also writing down by hand, the names of the items being returned, the sku numbers involved, all of it, onto a triplicate paper form, , then having to get a managers signature, then offering the last page of the triplicate to the customer and telling them they will get their refund AFTER the warehouse receives and processes their items in 15 business days. It is 2015, not 1990. Why can't we just SCAN THE BARCODE on the shipping form they brought in? RIDICULOUS, ANGER-INDUCING, CONFUSING, INEFFICIENT, and NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY.

5. Imagine working in a place that forces every employee to RE-APPLY when the "Legacy Stores" are remodeled into the newer, larger galleries, REGARDLESS of length of employment or even an incredible work history. Same is true for seasonal employees that intend to become permanent employees. They must RE-APPLY to stay onboard. New application and everything. TIME-WASTER, LACK OF INTEGRITY, NO LOYALTY.

6. Imagine having to ask your manager to unlock the drawer so that you can get a gift card for your customer. On the earpiece of course. Who does this? What retailer locks up their gift cards? Don't they trust the people they hire? IDIOTIC.

7. Imagine taking messages all day long from customers calling the store, who want to place orders or who have questions about their orders, because there are not enough people on staff to manage the calls. We tell them someone will call them back later the same day. And that is true, about half of the time. Customers will call two, three days in a row, and tell me that no one has called them back. They are angry. And imagine working in a place where managers are actually instructed NOT to answer the phones, so they can be "freed up" to do other things... like item #2 in this list. And yet, you are told that the store is not understaffed. LIES.

8. Imagine having a sales goal that is TWICE as big as last year's numbers for the same day. So stupid. Not a 10% increase. a 100% increase. No retailer does this. UNREALISTIC.

There is more. But I'm tired of typing.

I don't have advice for store management. But upper management? You have no idea how awful it is to be an employee at your store. Who ever is running the retail side of the business needs to be fired immediately. WHAT A JOKE.

It looks like it would be a great place to work from the outside, but just wait until you get hired!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am a mid career professional working here part time while I get another project off the ground. It mostly works for me, but the one major area that this management team can not get right is scheduling. These guys have to "reinvent" scheduling every week for what seems like everyone who works there. In 6 months, I HAVE NEVER HAD 2 WEEKLY SCHEDULES THAT WERE EVER A REPEAT OF A PREVIOUSLY WORKED WEEK! When asking them about the volatility in scheduled hours, RH managers say, "Oh well, that's retail!" No, that's is incompetence in no leadership by reasonably putting out a weekly schedule done on time and with some thought behind it. The pay and benefits are only so-so. Sometimes there are sales (once a quarter), that have a better discount to the public than the employee one! How's that for rewarding your employees for putting up with low pay and dirty working conditions?

Cons

Inexperienced and really unintelligent management team. I often wonder what their futures will be like in 20 or 30 years...

Corporate RH should put some manpower money behind their outlet in Long Beach. After all, it is the largest one in the country X 3, so they've already spent the money to get themselves there!

Low key

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marysville, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Marysville, WA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Meeting great clients and working with people of high salary. They decorate their house and I get to help

Cons

Not enough employees to run business. Hard to get shifts covered and I feel there isn't enough coverage overall.

Get more employees

The Sky's the Limit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (less than an year)

Pros

RH's core values of Quality, Service, People, and Innovation is well noticed in the work environment. One value that stands out is quality. Working along side my co-workers, I observed their strive for perfection whether it be as simple as making copies to designing the products. So far, management have encouraged feedback and valued opinions. The culture definitely avoids the cubical lifestyle and promotes self growth.

Positives:
    People
    Core Values
    Work Environment
    Generous Discounts

Cons

There are moments when production and projects are slow but when they're not, be expected to work hard and at times, long hours. RH is a fast pace environment and at times can be challenging. The benefits and pay are improving but not quite on par with some other companies.

Negatives:
    Long Work Hours
    Improve on Pay / Benefits
    Limited Remote Work

Reading the other reviews, I noticed the discrepancy between HQ and retails. I would suggest rebuilding that relationship to promote success from all fields to improve on sales exponentially. Earning your employees trust and happiness is definitely key. Once achieved, establish programs or events that will cater to the growth of your employees. (i.e. classes, picnics, seasonal events)

Run away from RH

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There Core Values, only if they truly lead by example

Cons

Poor Management, overworked, not live their core values

Start doing random store visits to hold store managers accountable. Also, have better conversations with associates to solicit feedback on their management team.

Least Favorite Employer So Far

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Worked with a great team of retail and visual associates at the flagship store in Corte Madera, CA.

Cons

Corporate employees were rude and demeaning.

resto outlet team

I worked at Restoration Hardware

Pros

cool furniture to learn about and sell

Cons

uppity clientel and completely overpriced products

good job