Restoration Hardware

Restoration Hardware Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014

Gary Friedman

Pros
  • The discount is great but the furniture is too expensive to make purchases often (in 8 reviews)

• Some of the people who work there (the ones who do all the work, really) are great people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Which I would say Bravo as this is, invoking the Core Values People Asset to a tee (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance and benefits are fine but could be better (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Innovative, growing company that is full of opportunity.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Restoration Hardware has changed dramatically since I joined back in 2012, and all for the better. The company is growing, we are adding tons of employees, and the innovative new product lines we have created have established us as a one-of-a-kind company. Transferring within the company is encouraged and promotions are always looked at first rather than recruiting externally. Growth potential is huge in this company because of the many different departments that we keep adding. The work space has all been newly remodeled and all of the offices are decorated in RH furniture with our signature "Resto grey" on the walls. It truly is an amazing place to work!

Cons

I do not have anything negative to say about RH. We are continuing to better ourselves as we grow. There are always things that can improve, such as benefits, but I am perfectly content with what we are offered.

Great culture, great potential

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The culture at RH is life changing and if it's aligned with your personality/beliefs, you will be happy here. This is a unique environment--innovative, fast-paced, challenging, chaotic and, at times, confusing. If you are someone who is flexible, open minded, outgoing and eager to learn new things, you will most likely enjoy being here.

Average benefits package, lots of caring leadership, beautiful work spaces at home office and plenty of exposure to interesting areas of the business. People are generally very friendly and helpful. The people working in the galleries and outlets are fantastic--truly talented, warm and intelligent.

Cons

Some systems are slightly out-dated. Technology is becoming more important, but has not been previously.

Consider where you are--you're in the Bay Area. How can you modify things at RH to remain competitive and become an industry leader in attracting and retaining talent? Be innovative with benefits. Encourage flexibility in schedules. Make sure all people at home office have access to the same perks.

One of the worst

Current Employee - Store Leader  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Store Leader in Boston, MA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are generally friendly and kind
    Products, while monotonous in their design, make for a pretty work environment

Cons

Field and Executive management run hot and cold. They promise many things, deliver on few. It is a closed clique that thrives on a culture of demeaning and demoralizing feedback.
    They call it "disruptive" (such an overused descriptor), what it really is - chaos.
    No respect for life/work balance, family commitments or personal time. Be prepared to not get your paid holidays if you work in the retail end.
    Benefits are very lean - no 401k match, waiting periods, slim vacation time, no perks
    The "core values" and "amazing culture" are all talk, no action. It's disappointing.

Notice that the good reviews here all seem to come from Corte Madera employees. However, your business is built on the backs of your many retail employees. Break up the upper management cliques and take them off their pedestals. If the CEO would begin to demonstrate respect (shake hands? ask names? ask for feedback?) when visiting the retail locations, it would be a start.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sink or swim

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Great location
    A lot of great coworkers in the catalog studio
    Looks good on paper

Cons

Little to no structure on good days that means it's " chaotic." On a great day it's "entrepreneurial" with a "startup" feel. On a bad one...your contract worker you hired to cut costs just packed the truck wrong and now someone's leg is shattered for life.

Look out for the little guys doing your dirty work. And remember, always be nice to the maid. She knows all the secrets.

It's a great company to work for with a "can do" attitude.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The environment/work space is physically beautiful to work in. The people are friendly, helpful, and are always there to support you. We are a values based company which supports open and honest communication and removes obstacles to enable you to get your job done.

Cons

It can be a little chaotic to work here, but fun.

Have more leadership meetings, more training meetings, look into ESPP and 401k match. All these things would make the company competitive.

Exciting potential, very political

I worked at Restoration Hardware

Pros

+nice clean workspace (though some are waaaaaay nicer than others)
    +attractive campus in a nice part of Corte Madera.
    +helpful support staff such as human resource, IT, and facilities;
    +core values make you feel good when used accurately.
    +my direct manager was wonderful but many other people do not have that experience.
    +generous discount

Cons

-I do not want to sound overly critical but there are people in management positions that shouldn't be. favoritism is rampant and it can be difficult to understand where you stand with people.
    -political decisions outweigh practical/ business minded decisions.
    -benefits are below average. small amounts of vacation and sick time, limited flexibility to work from home (quite common in the Bay Area especially in my line of work) no 401K match, not great dental, basic medical, no food/drinks except coffee and tea (quite common in the Bay Area to have snacks or catered meals occasionally, that never happens here.)
    -no holiday party.
    -nonsensical bonus structure.

Please congratulate yourselves on doing difficult jobs. RH is not a easy place to work certainly!

Please consider expanding the benefits pack to be Bay Area relevant. The amounts of vacation and sick time are frankly pathetic. I was ill twice and had to be out to take care of significant injuries and, pow, all health time was gone. How do you expect your work force to remain healthy and competent? Do not anticipate abuse when extending privileges and show your people how you value their lives.

You say you value innovation so lead the charge on how you treat your people! I know everything is a cost issue but I promise that you will attract unbelievable talent if you make RH a desirable place to work.

I only left because I didn't see that happening, and I left in great standing with an open invitation to return at any time.

This was the worst job i ever had. The supervisors ran around like they were in charge of their own kingdom.

Former Employee - Cusgtomer
    Former Employee - Cusgtomer

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

the only thing that was good were the other employees.

Cons

shift changes, constant monitoring treating employees like children, i actually saw one supervisor go and physically turn someone around in their chair and yell at them, another time they yelled at an employee for giving herself an insulin shot at the desk, another employee was fired for using the wrong cup

Check on the supervisor you grew quickly and some off them were giddy with power

Great company with an amazing culture

Current Employee - Leader  in  Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Leader in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Restoration Hardware truly believes in their people. You have the freedom to innovate and strive to make things better for the entire company. If you deliver in your role, you will advance your career and learn a lot a long the way.

Cons

None that I can think of. Restoration Hardware is transforming the retail environment and the way people shop for high quality home goods.

UPSCALE FURNISHINGS & ACCESSORIES STORE

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

quality products, comraderie amongst staff, store bonuses based on store volume, upscale sophisticated clientele, calming music, subdued lighting and friendly staff.

Cons

as a member of the seasonal staff, you are let go with almost no notice, and although they say they will call you back when they get busy again or for the next season, that didn't happen with me.

Growing company trying to change culture to match their direction but not there yet.

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Great brand
    Aspirational Core Values
    Good discount
    Leader in industry

Cons

Core Values are not a part of the culture yet. It seems to have ex-large company folks trying to be agile/entrepreneurial so they talk the talk but do not know quite what it means on a day to day basis.

Fear seems to be an issue at the mid-level of management as well as cliques

Marketing and decision making does not seem coordinated or thoughtful.

Old world OB thinking.

Believe and act on your own core values
    Until you get rid of fear, no innovation will occur at lower ranks
    Lots of ceilings and current staff not used to their potential - wasted talent.

Restoration Hardware Photos

Worked for Restoration Hardware? Contribute to the Community!