Restoration Hardware

Restoration Hardware Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014

Gary Friedman

Pros
  • The discount is great but the furniture is too expensive to make purchases often (in 8 reviews)

• Some of the people who work there (the ones who do all the work, really) are great people (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Which I would say Bravo as this is, invoking the Core Values People Asset to a tee (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance and benefits are fine but could be better (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Great products - not very generous to employees

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work in a Beautiful environment. The company produces Quality products. People like the product selection and customization options. Employees receive 40% Discount on products.

Cons

The "resto rules" are cult like! Do not say anything negative about anything!! You cannot have ANY personal problems! Everyone is very fake. The compensation or benefits for part timers (even at 32 hours/week) is not industry standard. The company is more what can you do for the company than what can we do for each other...

Store leaders need to be more mature and have more experience. The Design program needs to be cultivated and expanded in Saint Louis.

Work hard for nothing honey

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Get to talk to people and buy things at a discount

Cons

selling products that do not last and are not quality. Working for liars.

Find an owner that does not have his ego in his pants.

You're treated as easily replaceable

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

When I was working there I'd say that the work was ok, and for the area it is very good. I also had a pleasureable training experience

Cons

Pay
    Advancement
    Treat of Users
    Scared to lose my job
    unrealistic deadlines

More tome off, get RID of the absent system?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Aventura, FL
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Aventura, FL

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits, culture, values and location.
    Beautiful store, great product and great systems. I loved my IPAD and how easy it was to help customers.

Cons

I had to check my schedule and pray that I was not working with some people, they were very negative and loved to gossip.
    I kept to myself and refused to be a part of the drama.

You need to get some people out of there, you know who they are.
    Just do it.
    You have some great people and I enjoyed most of my peers, but I could not believe how some others were so disrespectful and toxic.

A reputable company that treats their employees as if they are easily replaceable.

Current Employee - Customer Care Advocate  in  Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Advocate in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

-My Peers. I have met some of my best friends while working with RH. In fact, it is the only reason that many of us stay with the company. Great people work here.

-Scheduled raises. A "step-up" program makes for set-raises for the first year of employment, and continued raises based on the quality of your work take place each year thereafter.

-Health Benefits. RH contributes far more than many other companies, leaving our portion affordable. There are also 3 benefit plans to choose from.

Cons

Unfortunately, the negative far outweigh the positive. If it wasn't for my peers, I would definitely be working somewhere else, along with many of fellow co-workers.

-Management. Many of them do not understand the basic job, and look to their team for help. Then they continue to micro-manage as their main daily activity. In addition, policies change so often that can be difficult to keep track of.

-Cleanliness. Our buildings have had major bug infestation problems. We get bug bites often, and cockroaches are visibly seen daily in our office and lunch room. Half the building stays sick at all times.

-Work-life balance.
     5-8 times per year the company require overtime for 2 weeks. This is about 16 weeks of the year, and it always occurs during major holidays, such as Christmas. Although many employees want the overtime, they require every single employee to partake.
    Vacation time is accrued at a very slow pace, and you cannot request time off unless you have the vacation hours already accrued.
    You are allotted 5 minutes per day to use the restroom. Use it any longer, and you are written up.

Focus on learning the job yourself and helping your teams provide exceptional service to our customers, and worry less about micro-managing the small things (I.E- bathroom breaks).

Lost that lovin' feeling

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Beautiful furnishings that are timeless. They put out a fabulous catalog that makes it easy to wish or actually put a room together. Anyone who wants to furnish a home beautifully most certainly can do that at RH!

Cons

They lost their retro intriguing items that took you back in time. They moved away from hardware and now when you walk in it's all about the minimal look. Be careful of your pocketbook because you have to open it up very wide. Got to be a stuffy nosed atmosphere; the fun went away. The staff isn't as important as it should be.

Used to be a store that hit all your senses and it was a fun place to work. Customers enjoyed their the store and service but now it's just not fun. The dark atmosphere and a high turnover rate doesn't make it a place to connect with the customer for long.

Challenging, innovative, rule breaking company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with a great team of committed people; creating a truly wordclass lifestyle retail brand; beautiful products; inspirational CEO/Founder (even if he is incredibly demanding); great values framework and lots of focus on leadership development

Cons

The constant challenge to constantly get things 100% right and implemented yesterday can be stressful...or exciting; people either fit with and love the culture or they don't

Keep being the crazy ones!

Loved Working Here

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time for less than a year

Pros

This company treats their people with great respect and kindness. They follow their core values to the tee.

Cons

I have no cons to mention.

Great Retail Environment

I worked at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Pay and company values. Great people to work with. Good benefits.

Cons

Heavy lifting at times. Long hours at holidays

Most challenging and rewarding career of my life!!

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Their Core Values are applied to their business daily. The values are strong and with that comes a lot of accountability to the people. They do not expect to change anyone, they only hope to attract others with the same values. People who struggle with our culture often have a different outlook on our values, or have their own set of values and that's ok. At the end of the day we are all human and people in this company do make mistakes like everyone else. But the values are still the best thing about working for RH.
    Very close to their people, VP, Regional and even CEO have a good handle on who their people are, and even by name. Very rare!
    Largest assortment of home furnishing for their associates and designers to work from. Endless opportunities to create and design beautiful spaces.
    Wages way above avg for retail, competitive for designers.
    This company has just got started. success never happens overnight and Canada has plenty of room to grow.
    I work with many people that have been at RH for over 12 years. People don't stay for 12 plus years in retail unless it's a good place to work. It was a good sign to me when I was doing my research on RH.

Cons

Not much to gripe about. Rh has been good to me on all levels. If you love what you do you take the good with the bad. "eat the meat and spit out the bones" I always say! No job is perfect and at least I know I have a voice and can speak up for things that can be better. I do not rely on others to fix problems I can change myself.
    As most of us know, people quit their boss not a company. Seems as though most negative comments are aimed towards their managers. Fortunately I don't have anyone in my business life that makes me want to quit what I love doing.
     And some general advice, if you ever find you don't love what you do anymore...change what you do. Own it. Don't wait for someone else to change. Life is too short to be bitter.

Hire right! Don't give false hope to your people. Set reasonable and clear expectations so your people know where they stand in the business. Honesty and accountability are more important than just being nice (although nice does help). Spend as much time possible with every person on your team. If your employees seem surprised by your critical feedback then you are not balancing it out they enough praise or you are not consistent enough. They must always feel like feedback comes with positive intent. They need to know you see both the good and the challenges.
    Good luck out there!

Worked for Restoration Hardware? Contribute to the Community!