Restoration Hardware

Add Review

Restoration Hardware Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
256 reviews filtered by

Not for the everyone......

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great People
    HR department attempts to be fair

Cons

Poor Senior Managers
    Resto rules are just words
    Reactive environment
    Terribke demands for OT during the holidays

Advice to Management

Your have great Advocates working in the call center- Reward them for their hard work by developing them to be your next leaders and stop hiring leadership from an external candidate pool.

Your credo is wonderful- follow it and make it more than just words in a beautiful frame on your walls - think it and create the culture that embodies it

Train your leadership to enpower your Advocates not rule with a big stick. Coach and develop your Advocates and they will work harder for you

Give back to your front line- more celebrations, free lunches and freebies

Develop a new peocess of the OT processes during the holidays - your requirement is too demanding.

2. It's a cult

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only thing Restoration Hardware does well is hite over qualified people.

Cons

Everything from:
    Not enough staff
    It's cult like values messages
    Keeping people who are terrible at their jobs
    Telling people it's a design firm rather then retail venue, designers join the team and do nothing but sell
    There is no service past the sales floor, once it is sold no one cares, delivery is terrible and wrong on a consistent basis
    There is no commission, even the weakest link is helped, no drive to sell more
    Middle management are treated like slaves, have no guidance or training

Run away from RH

Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There Core Values, only if they truly lead by example

Cons

Poor Management, overworked, not live their core values

Advice to Management

Start doing random store visits to hold store managers accountable. Also, have better conversations with associates to solicit feedback on their management team.

Worst working experience of my life

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I don't have a single positive thing to say. All smoke and mirrors.
    The values and believes that the CEO speak off are never upheld by upper management. They are all extremely insecure and are afraid that this things is to big for them now and they are holding on to their jobs. They are running this place like the Gap was 15 years ago. I have friends at Gap's corporate office and even the Gap has evolved. If you care about your career and your professional growth, stay away from this company. There are no training programs, succession planing, bonus program, commission structure (you can sell 2 million a year and make nothing).

Cons

starts at the interview process. They will ask you a series of borderline illegal questions, wrapped in a bow. After working there a long time, I could even understand why they ask those questions. They focus on your personality only, but the interviewers are not trained behavior psycologists. So is a load of crap.
    No one is training them on how to interview either, so is all based on if they like you or not. Nothing to do with your skills.

Every morning they seat in a circle and you are expected to share more about your personal live and believes and if you refuse they will find aways to get you out.
    Is the most stupid thing I ever had to do in my career.
    They read quotes to you and ask you to share in a large group how that makes you feel. Literally a terrible practice and I'm not sure how thy are getting away with this.
    No idea how that is relevant with designing and selling furniture.

You are expected to work wathever hours they give you.
    They have zero care for your personal life with is such a contradiction.
    Because you wonder why they ask for you to share so much about your life if they don't care if you have a sick family member or was in accident etc etc. as long as you do your hours they will leave you alone.

And when I say alone. You will be . Managers don't even care if you sell or not. All you do is stay there. Like a lamp and greet people and show them the furniture.
    You will learn NOTHING.

Managers change constantly, and is because all the smart and good one either leave or a pushed out. so Noone will observe you long enough to be able to offer you a future there.

The reviews are a total joke because you get scored for your values and believes and how can you even score on that?

The money is awful, Everyone knows that in the furniture industry you get commission. They don't do that. You get paid exactly like the clothing stores. That in my opion will invest more in your career that they do.

So be very carefull, the only thing they work hard on, is on brainwashing people with a fake facade.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to start.
    You know exactly what you are doing. You push out every intelligent person you hired so you can keep the desperate and the dumb so you can look better and brain wash them to believe it is a good place to work.
    It is not. Is terrible.
    You run the place like a rehab center and everyone has to be so thankful to be working there.

The only reason you are making money is because the customers like the furniture. Has zero to do with you and how you are managing.
    15 years ago they like Pottery Barn and in 15 year from now they will like someone else.

So take your 15 and treat people with a little more respect and offer them a career path to grow and succeed.

I'm glad that you design castles, Rome was also fill of them. And it burnt.

I'm so glad to be out because my new employer now cares about my professional success and asks very little about my personal affairs because is none of his business.
    I was already promoted in just 6 months and I'm now taking lots of training classes to better my design and furniture knowledge. That will never have happened at RH.

Good intentions, poor execution.

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing coworkers and a really positive community culture. A very generous employee discount, very interesting learning about the products behind the scenes. Lot of recognition for good work, definitely a company that celebrates individual achievement in a way that was very surprising/refreshing.

Cons

Leadership turned increasingly problematic and hostile, lot of excessive pressure to perform and micromanagement rapidly degenerated morale among employees. Very limited opportunities for growth, though you're constantly being told otherwise.

Advice to Management

Set the expectations of your employees, treat them like adults. Don't promise things you can't deliver on... the stick and carrot method will only motivate someone so far before they decide to go elsewhere.

7. Part Time Sales Associate

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products. At the forefront of interior design trends. Not commission based, so sales people work as a team instead of competing with each other.

Cons

Very poor product training. Most product knowledge is up to you from looking through catalogs and online. There is no training on how to sell either. Corporate is very separate from the stores. It's up to the managers (aka leaders) to pass new information along - this happens inconsistently because of people's intermittent schedules. Compensation is an hourly rate which by no means could be a passable living wage therefore there is a lot of turnover. Also they do not promote from within, i.e.: salesperson to manager. Unless you live in California near their HQ, you have limited options of roles.

Advice to Management

Set up a standardize product training system where salespeople can see, touch and feel new products. Educate salespeople on new products BEFORE they are on the web. It's poor business practice to have clients seeing new products live on the website and have the salespeople not know anything about them. Get product samples and swatches into the stores before or at least at the same time as when a new product is released.

8. Good work environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time (More than a year)

Pros

RH has quality product, I love a quick paced work place.

Cons

The company isn't really sustainable, I'd love to see more of that in their product and future fabrics maybe.

middle management poor

Former Employee - Store Leader in Marlton, NJ
    Former Employee - Store Leader in Marlton, NJ

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great bonuses, great peers, decent benefits

Cons

unrealistic expectations of upper and middle management as far as time worked (like, they tell you you'll only work 40 hours but then they assign workloads that take upwards of 50+ and because you're salaried, this is not considered an issue). actually not big on promoting from within. saw several well qualified staff members get passed on for promotions without explanation. there's a level of hipocrisy in management's ability to lead - creating distrust and unhappy staff.

Advice to Management

actually promote from within. pay well enough for staff to actually feel valued and want to do the enormous amount of work expected.

10. Planning Coordinator

Former Employee - Planning Coordinator in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Planning Coordinator in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, and positive work environment.

Cons

Limited movement out of departments. Once you are in one department i.e. planning it is difficult to move to the creative services department.

Advice to Management

Look further than immediate department when promoting from within.

Unstable work environment

Current Contractor - Merchandise Coordinator in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Contractor - Merchandise Coordinator in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The sample sales are great.

Cons

Middle management is afraid of people above them and people below them, creating a very tense and unstable work environment. RH is Very "cliquey" and has more nepotism than you could shake ten sticks at. People get pushed aside so someones niece that just graduated high school can get a job.

If you are at the bottom of the food chain but are good at bullying, your job is secure. If you behave like a courteous, mature adult and expect others to do the same, you'll be disappointed.

Advice to Management

I don't even know where to begin.

Restoration Hardware Photos