Restoration Hardware

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Gary Friedman

Pros
  • I met some great people that have become good friends (in 16 reviews)

• The discount is great but the furniture is too expensive to make purchases often (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Which I would say Bravo as this is, invoking the Core Values People Asset to a tee (in 30 reviews)

• Work life balance and benefits are fine but could be better (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a great company to work for with a "can do" attitude.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The environment/work space is physically beautiful to work in. The people are friendly, helpful, and are always there to support you. We are a values based company which supports open and honest communication and removes obstacles to enable you to get your job done.

Cons

It can be a little chaotic to work here, but fun.

Have more leadership meetings, more training meetings, look into ESPP and 401k match. All these things would make the company competitive.

Exciting potential, very political

I worked at Restoration Hardware

Pros

+nice clean workspace (though some are waaaaaay nicer than others)
    +attractive campus in a nice part of Corte Madera.
    +helpful support staff such as human resource, IT, and facilities;
    +core values make you feel good when used accurately.
    +my direct manager was wonderful but many other people do not have that experience.
    +generous discount

Cons

-I do not want to sound overly critical but there are people in management positions that shouldn't be. favoritism is rampant and it can be difficult to understand where you stand with people.
    -political decisions outweigh practical/ business minded decisions.
    -benefits are below average. small amounts of vacation and sick time, limited flexibility to work from home (quite common in the Bay Area especially in my line of work) no 401K match, not great dental, basic medical, no food/drinks except coffee and tea (quite common in the Bay Area to have snacks or catered meals occasionally, that never happens here.)
    -no holiday party.
    -nonsensical bonus structure.

Please congratulate yourselves on doing difficult jobs. RH is not a easy place to work certainly!

Please consider expanding the benefits pack to be Bay Area relevant. The amounts of vacation and sick time are frankly pathetic. I was ill twice and had to be out to take care of significant injuries and, pow, all health time was gone. How do you expect your work force to remain healthy and competent? Do not anticipate abuse when extending privileges and show your people how you value their lives.

You say you value innovation so lead the charge on how you treat your people! I know everything is a cost issue but I promise that you will attract unbelievable talent if you make RH a desirable place to work.

I only left because I didn't see that happening, and I left in great standing with an open invitation to return at any time.

This was the worst job i ever had. The supervisors ran around like they were in charge of their own kingdom.

Former Employee - Cusgtomer
    Former Employee - Cusgtomer

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

the only thing that was good were the other employees.

Cons

shift changes, constant monitoring treating employees like children, i actually saw one supervisor go and physically turn someone around in their chair and yell at them, another time they yelled at an employee for giving herself an insulin shot at the desk, another employee was fired for using the wrong cup

Check on the supervisor you grew quickly and some off them were giddy with power

Great products - not very generous to employees

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get to work in a Beautiful environment. The company produces Quality products. People like the product selection and customization options. Employees receive 40% Discount on products.

Cons

The "resto rules" are cult like! Do not say anything negative about anything!! You cannot have ANY personal problems! Everyone is very fake. The compensation or benefits for part timers (even at 32 hours/week) is not industry standard. The company is more what can you do for the company than what can we do for each other...

Store leaders need to be more mature and have more experience. The Design program needs to be cultivated and expanded in Saint Louis.

Growing company trying to change culture to match their direction but not there yet.

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Great brand
    Aspirational Core Values
    Good discount
    Leader in industry

Cons

Core Values are not a part of the culture yet. It seems to have ex-large company folks trying to be agile/entrepreneurial so they talk the talk but do not know quite what it means on a day to day basis.

Fear seems to be an issue at the mid-level of management as well as cliques

Marketing and decision making does not seem coordinated or thoughtful.

Old world OB thinking.

Believe and act on your own core values
    Until you get rid of fear, no innovation will occur at lower ranks
    Lots of ceilings and current staff not used to their potential - wasted talent.

Great company with an amazing culture

Current Employee - Leader in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Leader in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Restoration Hardware truly believes in their people. You have the freedom to innovate and strive to make things better for the entire company. If you deliver in your role, you will advance your career and learn a lot a long the way.

Cons

None that I can think of. Restoration Hardware is transforming the retail environment and the way people shop for high quality home goods.

UPSCALE FURNISHINGS & ACCESSORIES STORE

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time (less than an year)

Pros

quality products, comraderie amongst staff, store bonuses based on store volume, upscale sophisticated clientele, calming music, subdued lighting and friendly staff.

Cons

as a member of the seasonal staff, you are let go with almost no notice, and although they say they will call you back when they get busy again or for the next season, that didn't happen with me.

Work hard for nothing honey

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MD

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Get to talk to people and buy things at a discount

Cons

selling products that do not last and are not quality. Working for liars.

Find an owner that does not have his ego in his pants.

You're treated as easily replaceable

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

When I was working there I'd say that the work was ok, and for the area it is very good. I also had a pleasureable training experience

Cons

Pay
    Advancement
    Treat of Users
    Scared to lose my job
    unrealistic deadlines

More tome off, get RID of the absent system?

A reputable company that treats their employees as if they are easily replaceable.

Current Employee - Customer Care Advocate in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Care Advocate in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-My Peers. I have met some of my best friends while working with RH. In fact, it is the only reason that many of us stay with the company. Great people work here.

-Scheduled raises. A "step-up" program makes for set-raises for the first year of employment, and continued raises based on the quality of your work take place each year thereafter.

-Health Benefits. RH contributes far more than many other companies, leaving our portion affordable. There are also 3 benefit plans to choose from.

Cons

Unfortunately, the negative far outweigh the positive. If it wasn't for my peers, I would definitely be working somewhere else, along with many of fellow co-workers.

-Management. Many of them do not understand the basic job, and look to their team for help. Then they continue to micro-manage as their main daily activity. In addition, policies change so often that can be difficult to keep track of.

-Cleanliness. Our buildings have had major bug infestation problems. We get bug bites often, and cockroaches are visibly seen daily in our office and lunch room. Half the building stays sick at all times.

-Work-life balance.
     5-8 times per year the company require overtime for 2 weeks. This is about 16 weeks of the year, and it always occurs during major holidays, such as Christmas. Although many employees want the overtime, they require every single employee to partake.
    Vacation time is accrued at a very slow pace, and you cannot request time off unless you have the vacation hours already accrued.
    You are allotted 5 minutes per day to use the restroom. Use it any longer, and you are written up.

Focus on learning the job yourself and helping your teams provide exceptional service to our customers, and worry less about micro-managing the small things (I.E- bathroom breaks).

Restoration Hardware Photos