Retail Business Development

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

JImmy Ralph

Fast paced, tons of opportunity for advancement

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsPart time hours, full time pay! Weekly pay checks

ConsNo benefits, more hours weekly would be nice

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter visibility to performance market to market

Retail business development

Retail Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsHas a national contract with Walmart and other large retailers... thus there is a lot of customer traffic when reps are selling.

ConsI am happy with the company, but I wish they would take the advice of people in the field more.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Fast Paced, thorough, and Uniquely Developed

RTL (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsOpportunity for growth, steady work for those who get bored easily with tedious jobs, salary comes with bonuses for management, but I also started as a rep Dec 14 2014 and was promoted in 6 weeks. Very competitive pay with incentive to sell MORE and MORE! The more you sell, the more commission you make, which is an awesome start! Team leads are very sturdy and supportive, Area sales managers are fast paced and positive, always looking for growth and ways to improve, regional directors are very hands on and also very supportive. A company that actually works with you! Team players left and right, selling product that literally sells itself, paid training, no experience required, its not who you know, but what you know. And what you can bring to the table! They take good care of me because I give it 100% effort!

ConsNot for those who seek a job for an easy 300$ weekly paycheck! Hustle and male 300 a day, simple as that. Not everyone is made to sell, its 90% mental and 10% in your head. Self motivation is necessary, as well as strong minds and punctuality!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible at best

Recruiter - SAN Francisco Bay Area (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsThe people that I worked with were great

ConsNo communication with upper management, and ever changing policies, pay scales etc, sometimes on a weekly basis. High field rep turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe forthright in your communications with not only your recruiters but the RTL and down. Your grey areas in communication will lead to the demise of the company.

Like a pyramid scheme

District Sales Manager (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsEasy to get hired. 9$ an hour is good. Let's couples work together.

ConsThey edit your hours. Cheat you on commission. They raise the bar too high. the turn over rate is probably notorious by now. Reps last between 1 day and a few weeks. I personally witnessed only 3 last more than 3 months in all of DFW from December to June. HR team is only 7 people. Management makes the same as reps but work 2x the hrs. My advice is work directly with Vonage if anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real. Get organized. Read some books.

Rewards those that work hard!

ProsI started with RBD as a Sales Representative 17 months ago. 6 weeks later I was promoted to rtl (team leader). 5 1/2 months later Area Sales Manager 9 months after that Regional Director. As they say " Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life" I truly love that I do. I've had 7 people to date get promoted to management from under me and 2 of them have been promoted twice! This company grows leaders! Looking for a job to sharpen your skills and be a bridge to where you really wanna be this company great. Looking for a career where promotions are based on work ethic and results not seniority then you found it! My life changed when I ran accross their ad on Craigslist. Myself and my family are in a much better position!

ConsWish they had direct deposit but check has never came late, it would just save me a trip to the bank.

Strong company with opportunities to gain experience and has a great work environment.

Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL

ProsGreat work environment – I love the people that I work with. Lots of different backgrounds, age groups, and work experiences within the company. Everyone is friendly, helpful, and willing to help each other out. It is a very team work environment and feels as if we're working together to develop the company further and it is really exciting to be a part of.

Offers challenges – Every day is different and never dull. It’s not an extremely difficult company to work for but there are times where brainstorming new effective ideas is needed. This allows room for bringing in creativity on how to help improve current processes.

Rewarding – Many people use the word “rewarding” in different ways. My definition is that this company offers a lot of room for growth and development. I started off at an entry level position. As I grew with the company and learned the processes and how to operate the different systems, I was able to move into different departments and learned new things.

ConsCommunication - Since our Company has a lot of changes from time to time, I feel as if it is not communicated efficiently to the employees. This creates a lot of issues as well as complaints and therefore can get frustrating.

Benefits – It’s not the best but it is offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes it feels as if employees are out of the loop when it comes to new things happening within the company. I think in order to better succeed as a team, higher level management should communicate it to the employees so we can all be better prepared for what is to come in the future.

Great Job, Bad Supervisors. Bad Company Overall.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Rome, GA

ProsHas great pay and commission opportunities.

ConsNo worker's handbook, no firing policy that is communicated to employees, does not follow up on big commission checks

I worked for RBD for 2 months essentially. I did excellent in sales, I made 100% profit my first month, won an End of Month Bonus first week, and received a gift card for $10 as an award for making the first sale of the day. But apparently that wasn't enough. The next month my sales weren't as good, but I have no way to compare my final numbers. Firstly because I have yet to receive the spreadsheet listing everyone's results in sales for the month. Secondly, because I did not have the opportunity to finish the month out.

We use this app called Group Me to communicate with the other sales reps in the state. I made a comment one day when sales were bad that there was a reason there weren't many people in walmart. I talked to every person I came across that day, employees, customers, handed out brochures. But for some reason no one was biting. I made very positive supportive comments all day. But it was interpreted that I was "whining" by making a declarative statement about the lack of customers due to a HUGE concert in town. My troubles begin there and have only gotten worse.

I have yet to receive my $950 bonus. I haven't received a termination letter. I was dismissed from employment after making a clearly positive and supportive comment on Group Me. because I was supposed to somehow know without someone telling me that I should not comment any longer on Group Me after being sent home early for not making any sales that day. ???? I was dismissed with a charge of insubordination and lack of performance. I have never done anything that could even be remotely misconstrued as insubordinate.

So after this I diligently contacted the company to clear matters up. They ignored me mostly on the matter and after 2 weeks no one involved would contact me to clear the matter up except my immediate supervisor who fought diligently to get me re-hired. I bugged the Office of Finances to death and after a week I was told verbally that the charge of insubordination was dropped. To date--2 months later--still no letter of separation has been issued to me. Still have not received my bonus pay. I cannot get information from my immediate boss to determine if my performance was infact in the lowest tier of sales in comparison to my peers. I cannot get information to get ahold of the supervisor who fired me to discuss what occurred to rectify the situation and to see if I can make sure I don't make the same mistake in the future. Moving forward after being fired from this company is ridiculously difficult. Applicant beware. The supervisor who fired me has a habit of firing people and replacing them with someone who "will do a better job." Not a lot of thought goes into firing people from this business. This is a company that is contracted as part of a huge nationwide Sprint project. This company needs to be reviewed with much scrutiny before issuing a contract with them for any endeavor.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on LONG TERM. Fulfill your promises for commission. Have things together and a valid reasoning for terminating someone besides flippant emotionally based decisions. Actually consider the value of your employees and WORK with them, instead of letting them go and finding someone else you have to start all over training and getting used to the business. Seems like simple business practices, but why is it so hard for you to do?

A terrible place to work

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsNone would like to have pros on the job but do not know of any

ConsWill make a sale if you lie about countries that are not included in Vonage world plan

Advice to Senior ManagementHave managers that are honest and ethical, the one I had lied about the plans

Dishonest and Disorganized

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsConstant turnover, so they are constantly hiring. Almost anyone can get hired.

ConsToo many to list. VERY shady business practices. No vision or leadership whatsoever. Training is superficial and poorly delivered.

It's basically a temp agency that pays very poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to stay in business, think about investing in your employees instead of exclusively looking for every short-sighted way to make more money for upper executives. I've never worked for a company that so perfectly embodied the phrase "over-promise and under-deliver."

Worked for Retail Business Development? Contribute to the Community!