Retail Business Development

Updated November 21, 2014
Updated November 21, 2014
2.9

JImmy Ralph

Experience builds on relationship success

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Retail Business Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The ability to speak to customers on the job. Training is provided. Leaders train other people to become leaders.

Cons

Ability to start from the beginning and work in a manner that can help me realize my sales potential.

More base pay. More phone meetings where you can get experience and advice spoken to you.

Review of RBD

I have been working at Retail Business Development

Pros

Great culture - open door - lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

Management moves too fast - needs to slow down and look at big picture

They are con artists to customers and employees

Former Employee - District Sales Manager for 6 Months in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager for 6 Months in Dallas, TX

I worked at Retail Business Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They teach how to manipulate customers to those with high IQ and fire the rest. They have no remorse for selling a product that screws people over financially. I have seen over 100 angry customers come to me aiming to sue my company because of something someone else said to sell the product to them. The lies were hard to amend because I wasn't prepared to be confronted by people who were deceived by my own coworkers or boss. Hard to prep for that.

Cons

Managers are clearly arrogant to realistic terms and situations. Some places don't buy. Demographics control your paycheck and your boss will stress your hair gray. They will try to bend you over backwards and promise so much reward that will NEVER come. I sold lawnmowers to cripples. I can sell anything and with integrity. But they hold your job on the line for not making a rediculously quota that double the employees couldn't achieve in their dreams. They are never satisfied leaving literally every rep depressed, frustrated, and uncomfortable, and distressed by the end of each shift once the rep is there for 2-3 weeks. They suckered you into quiting your old job first so they got you. Don't work with these people. People do not change. They advertise products that simply will not sell fast so your working on minimum wage with big hopes of 4 digit paychecks that will never come. I finally made 4 digits after a promotion was earned but I did the math and since the salary didn't pay overtime, and since they had me work 12 hours a day 7 days a week, on average I made 7.50 an hour. No I wasn't working slow. I was being called to conference calls at 8 AM and "babysiting" and secret shopping my reps until 10 PM unless I was training someone, which takes even MORE out of you. I lost the thickness of hair I used to have a year ago. Right on the top towards the front. I'm 22. Thanks RBD for teaching me how vast and unique pyramid schemes get these days.

Find another job and get what you deserve, and offer bonus' to those who you employ and work harder than the minimum standard you can achieve, not the minimum standard of someone 1000 miles away where the product is actually easy to sell. They assume 100 years later, that microwaves are still a brand new invention. They must, if they think VOIP is new and EVER ONE needs it. You know as well as I do that your employees could sell lemonade faster. No offense to them, I am sure they are pro status. But metaphorically speaking... it is NOT the last coke in the desert. Makes me want to drink sand.

Retail Representative

Former Employee - Sales Representative in East Saint Louis, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in East Saint Louis, IL

I worked at Retail Business Development part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very Exciting Company with great qualities!

Cons

They need direct Deposit and to provide internet.

Under Paid,no transparency , No Benefits, many promises , and I felt like a slave in cotton field

Former Employee - ASM in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - ASM in Boston, MA

I worked at Retail Business Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The best thing about the Job is Independency, you only usually see people in your own market , you rarely see VP , CEO

Cons

Promotions don't usually mean increase pay, many promises about advancement that don't happen, company will use the hell out of you and drop you like a bad habit , the whole company is all minorities except the upper management , so if you other than white dont expect to make it to the top

Diversify Upper Mangement ,meaning RDs , VPs and people that make real decisions, pay people correctly and don't penguin hold people because of their race. Stop being blood sucking and gready and share wealth with staff who help you make it, Stop giving false promises when there is no intent to share !!!

Fast paced, tons of opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Retail Business Development part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Part time hours, full time pay! Weekly pay checks

Cons

No benefits, more hours weekly would be nice

Better visibility to performance market to market

Retail business development

Current Employee - Retail Team Leader
    Current Employee - Retail Team Leader

I have been working at Retail Business Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Has a national contract with Walmart and other large retailers... thus there is a lot of customer traffic when reps are selling.

Cons

I am happy with the company, but I wish they would take the advice of people in the field more.

Fast Paced, thorough, and Uniquely Developed

Current Employee - RTL in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - RTL in Dallas, TX

Pros

Opportunity for growth, steady work for those who get bored easily with tedious jobs, salary comes with bonuses for management, but I also started as a rep Dec 14 2014 and was promoted in 6 weeks. Very competitive pay with incentive to sell MORE and MORE! The more you sell, the more commission you make, which is an awesome start! Team leads are very sturdy and supportive, Area sales managers are fast paced and positive, always looking for growth and ways to improve, regional directors are very hands on and also very supportive. A company that actually works with you! Team players left and right, selling product that literally sells itself, paid training, no experience required, its not who you know, but what you know. And what you can bring to the table! They take good care of me because I give it 100% effort!

Cons

Not for those who seek a job for an easy 300$ weekly paycheck! Hustle and male 300 a day, simple as that. Not everyone is made to sell, its 90% mental and 10% in your head. Self motivation is necessary, as well as strong minds and punctuality!

Horrible at best

Former Employee - Recruiter - SAN Francisco Bay Area in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Former Employee - Recruiter - SAN Francisco Bay Area in Saint Petersburg, FL

I worked at Retail Business Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people that I worked with were great

Cons

No communication with upper management, and ever changing policies, pay scales etc, sometimes on a weekly basis. High field rep turnover.

Be forthright in your communications with not only your recruiters but the RTL and down. Your grey areas in communication will lead to the demise of the company.

Like a pyramid scheme

Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - District Sales Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Retail Business Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy to get hired. 9$ an hour is good. Let's couples work together.

Cons

They edit your hours. Cheat you on commission. They raise the bar too high. the turn over rate is probably notorious by now. Reps last between 1 day and a few weeks. I personally witnessed only 3 last more than 3 months in all of DFW from December to June. HR team is only 7 people. Management makes the same as reps but work 2x the hrs. My advice is work directly with Vonage if anything.

Get real. Get organized. Read some books.