RetailData
www.retaildatallc.com Richmond, VA 1000 to 5000 Employees

RetailData Reviews

Updated Mar 3, 2014
RetailData – Richmond – “Retail Data LLC logo”

Christine Cottrell

Retail Data LLC

Retail Auditor (Former Employee)
Topeka, KS

I worked at RetailData part-time for more than a year

Proswas able to work my own hours; submit documentation on my own time. Was able to do my shopping while I did my job.

ConsDoesn't pay very well; had to be careful when I did the job due to certain locations being suspicious of what you were doing, therefore there was a risk of being kicked out of the store, thus you aren't able to complete the assignment.

Advice to Senior Managementpay an hourly wage

Looks very good on the surface - just on the surface

I have been working at RetailData part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFor the most part one does have a flexible schedule.

ConsThe ones who organize the list the DC's (not Data Collectors, not people) are to collect obviously never collect the information. Speed is everything however it is extremely frustrating when the lists are so poorly organized.

The pay is low and getting lower. I have worked for the company for almost 4 years and my pay has been cut 3 times. 3 TIMES. Oh they try to sugar coat it and say that the per hour goes up and one can make more because they can work more. But the truth is DCs are paid per piece, if they stay long enough, and the per piece rate has been cut. And will be cut again, it is just a matter of time.

There is so much more that is expected of us little people than we will ever be paid for. There are no pay raises, no merit raises, no cost of living raises - EVER! To show appreciation for long time employees, the ones who have been there before the last pay cut, will be shown appreciation by starting new employees at a lower rate. But one is NEVER to talk about pay with anyone.

DCs are talked at by the District Managers DM (via email) who are put in the middle as they are being yelled at by Home Office and the DCs. What is expected is not always possible in every market, but that does not matter. Home office wants what they want.
I cannot speak of all DMs but some DMs have some of the poorest of communication skills.

Home office will not stand up to clients. Clients demand and are "willing to pay more" so home office makes more and we at the bottom do not see more but work more, harder and under much more stress.

Home office and the clients NEVER listens to the DC. Even after they have been told SEVERAL times that the location is wrong, there is no such store at the address provided, that same location is on the schedule - putting more work, unpaid work, for the DC to find the closest correct location. Not to mention when informing them that the item that is being requested is never and has never been found month after month, year after year it is still on the collection list. And to add insult to injury we are sometimes requested to go back to the store and verify that item is truly still not there.

The equipment is slow, is required to use wireless connections but there is no wireless plan by the company so the DC is required to find wireless and take unpaid time to prepare for the work that will be paid for. And there has been a time of two when all of the hard collected data has been lost. But as soon a new equipment comes out it will be the "best" and will give reasons to cut the pay again.

Mileage is paid for, however it is after the first 30 miles and at the overall lowest rate in the country.

In the lapel and hard lapel locations - those stores that do not want collectors in their stores (even though some of them are our clients) - if approached DCs are to lie, say anything other than the truth of what you are doing in the store at that time. Oh and at this time the pay difference between lapel and hard lapel is .004 cents per item. But the stress is immeasurable.

I am just waiting for the right time to quit.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the AEs collect the lists they put together.
Treat all the employees with dignity and respect not just those in home office.

IT gets worse. Payroll makes "mistakes" more like on purpose that cost you their employee money.

Moscow, ID

I worked at RetailData part-time for less than a year

ProsNone. I honestly have no pros about this company. Lesson learned I am moving on and never working for this company again. They lack respect, discipline, integrity, trust, honesty and more.

ConsToo many to list but if say paychecks their third party company who does the pay roll for them makes a double deposit of your paycheck as in direct deposit they screw you over if you don't notice it at first and then take the money from your own personal bank account. Then when they try to take the money back you get the overdraft charges from your bank or credit union etc. It gets worse. This "company" then says we're going to not pay you or withhold your earnings aka paycheck until the money is paid back. Hello it's not my fault you screwed up and once the money is in my bank account it's mine for the taking like it or not. So they basically have you working for free and if it was a several hundred dollar or thousand dollar mistake on their part you might as well kiss ever seeing a check goodbye again for quite some time. If you work here and this mistake happened recently if it was payroll directly or even paychecks get the heck out of dodge and quit working for them asap, close your bank accounts and run. They're defrauding us on purpose.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue, get a life and get it right or this company is going down the drain. Hire your lawyers you'll need them.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't Fall For It!

New York, NY

I have been working at RetailData part-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible hours - That is the ONLY, ONLY, ONLY pro.

ConsEverything about this job is a con - hours, working conditions, equipment, and most of all, the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf it weren't for your data collectors, you wouldn't have any data to sell. How you treat us, how you pay us, is directly related to the quality of the data you receive. I have worked here for over ten years, and somehow, I make less per hour than ever before. Some weeks, I make less than minimum wage. Since overtime is not permitted, sometimes I have to under-report how many hours I actually worked so I don't get in trouble. This means that my hourly wage is way less than you think it is. We deserve better than this. Every other week there's another announcement about how we're going to be paid less, and it's spun in a way designed to make us think that you're somehow doing us a favor. We're not that stupid, Retail Data - we know what you're doing, and we know when we're being screwed.

In a recent company email, you claimed that you are the cheapest in the industry. This is not something to brag about. Being the cheapest implies that you aren't quality. Charge more for your data, pay your employees better, and you will have BETTER employees, who provide BETTER data, that your clients can use to their benefit. You'll be able to charge more because you get what you pay for!

I don't think you have any idea how difficult this job is, how hard we work, and how badly we are treated. Your employees are not a cost to be mitigated. We are the reason you exist.

I would make more money working at a fast food restaurant - that's not an exaggeration. That's an absolute fact. I have two college degrees, and I make less than a teenager working at McDonalds. There is no reason for this. You can do better.

Perfect job for flexibility and if you like working unsupervised

Data Collectore (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at RetailData part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe job is completely flexible. They give you a date it has to be done and you just get it done in that time period. There is no management constinley looking over your shoulder. It is a great job for people that can handle time management and don't need a lot of supervision.

The people complaining about not getting raises. They have not raised the piece rate since I have started....however....I am getting faster. So the job that would originally take me 4 hours and wouldn't pay very well, I am now doing in 2 hours so my hourly pay goes up that way. More time at home doing the same job. I am effectively making over $20 an hour just because I do the same amount of work in half the time.

I have never had a problem with communication. Emails are answered promptly. There are a lot of cities where we are VERY shorthanded so I know a lot of the data collectors are having to work pretty hard, however they are always trying to hire and get people trained.

ConsSometimes it is hard to feel like you work for a real company since you rarely see other employees. When I first got hired I met my boss who lived in Denver, but we have had a new boss and have yet to actually meet her in person and it has been over a year. I think they do need to get a little better in being able to get out in the different cities.
You never really meet any management

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd help for the DM's so they are not so busy having to go in-store and can travel more to meet employees in the cities.

The longer you are employeed,the LESS you are paid.

Denver, CO

I worked at RetailData part-time for more than 10 years

ProsUsually set your own hours, you are not micro aaged in person,as you very seldom see your immediate supervisor.

ConsAfter almost 14 years, I just received another pay cut, this one about 40%. Upper managementdoes not care, as since the job requires no education or experience, they can always hire someone else. N compensation per diem for "travel" people who live in hotels forweeks on end. The amount of hours you are given s just enough to keep you from any vacation pay. Bonuses have gone from over 1000 to less than 50 over 15 yers. If you ever call your immediate supervisor with a problem, the buck is always passed to personel. You will never feel wanted at this company. Look at the video of the upper management stealing a Queen classic. This is where my pay raise goes. They are singing all the way to the bank, having sold the company 5 times during my tenure. You do have the ablity to make your own wage, but it is mind numbing,back breaking work. They take the info we collect,pay us less ad less, and then sell this to many clients, giving them free pricing info. If you are ever thrown out of a store, dont call them. They encourage you to do hat you have to to be able to "steal" pricing info in stores that do not openly allow pricing.These stores have a notice n the front door that you are trespassing, but do it anyway. No communication with any management. You will never get ahead. New hires make what seasoned vets do,actually more since they are ounger andnot stooed over yet. Run,dont walk away from this company. Last note, health insurance has gonefrom great policies, to a 1500 a year cap to noe at all. That was the only benefit.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe DC is your bread and butter. Without us, you are nothing. One day yoou will see this, but perhaps it will be too ate.

Great company to learn new skill sets and grow knowledge base.

Richmond, VA

I have been working at RetailData full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCross training, new skills and competitive salary. Management has open door policy. Always willing to listen and work with employees when issues arise. Fair decisions. Work from home if needed. Excellent field of service. Market not saturated with competition.

ConsNeeds to work on annual reviews.

My experience was stressful & I was under paid.

Greensboro, NC

I worked at RetailData part-time for less than a year

ProsYour schedule is however you need it to be. You create your shift by deciding when & how long you go to work.

ConsLittle to no help with ridiculously large assignments. (example: 85-90 % of an entire grocery store). Awful pay! Don't tell me what the average pay or speed is based on other employees who have been scanning for 5-10 yrs now, please! You will get paid the bottom of the barrel minimum because you are compared to senior scanners who have had time to build their speed over the course of a few to several years. Also, the pay is not equal to the hours you work.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork side by side with field reps a few times a month. Help out on large assignments.

One Huge Disappointment

Reading, PA

I worked at RetailData part-time for more than 8 years

ProsWatching the office make complete fools of themselves in a corporate "rock music" video, that they wasted money making.

ConsWatching the office make complete fools of themselves in a corporate "rock music" video, that they wasted money making.
I worked for 9 years as a DC ~ they like to call us DC's instead of Data Collectors, because that makes us sound less valuable, like peons.

DC's are treated as worthless nuisances by the office.
There is no true Human Resources department.
Review dated 9/8/2013 is written by Retail Data......

And for a third time, In September, Retail Data lied and cheated the Data Collector's again out of half their pay on undercover jobs, using the reasoning that they are going to make "more money." Under cover jobs are the most stressful jobs because you are doing them without the stores permission. You do not have a choice of whether or not to do undercover work, so you are forced to do the job, even if you are thrown out of the store by the manager of the store. And when they cut your jobs/work load down to nothing, or give them to someone who the manager likes better -- they threaten to put you on performance review because you "don't have enough hours" -- even though they are the ones who control how much work you get.

Retail Data misleads their employees -- and their clients. Selling data from one store as data from another is cheating the client, and not giving them what they paid for.
The company will probably lose all its seasoned employees, causing the data they collect by newbies to be inaccurate and worthless. I hope that their clients realize what they aren't getting what they are really paying for.

At the same time they are cutting payrates by 50% -- RD is asking employees to refer people they know, you are stating in a conference call that you will be cutting new hire rates....so why would we want to recommend a friend when your rates are already too low?

Advice to Senior ManagementBottom Line: You have a data collector going into a store. They look at a shelf tag and record a price. You sell that price. No matter how you slice or dice it and give it fancy acronyms, such as RBV or "rules-based-validation” -- that's all it is. So when you mistreat and lie to your data collector by underpaying them, they are likely to give you the wrong price, from the wrong store. And then you sell that wrong price from the wrong store to your client........what else do you expect?
  Anxious for the day when RD is no longer in business to mistreat its employees. Being rid of RD was the best thing that could have happened to me.
"Because of RBV, a significant amount of “human judgment” is taken out of the validation process...." Seems as though some human judgement has been removed from the way you treat your employees, as well.

Very pompous company

Memphis, TN

I have been working at RetailData part-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe only pro is somewhat flexible hours

ConsCompany set up conference calls on the new droid low pay rate. We were first told that the droid had been field tested for 5yrs. Today company states that it was tested for 1 yr. by150 employees. Company can't even keep their stories straight. To make long term employees feel good about the huge pay cut, company states that they will cut new hire rate. They can't keep enough hired to cover jobs. The pay cut was a real slap in the face for those who put this company where it is today. Supposedly the pay cut will be passed on to clients as lower fees. I doubt that any client fees are cut. Someone in the office will enjoy the other half of my pay while I figure out how to maintain my household.
Advice to new hires: be wary of any promises from company. After the hourly rate ends, the piece rate does not compensate.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave your cubicles and join the field for a week. Then you might understand our anger and frustration. We give all in return for very little. Perhaps you should only expect half the work.

Worked for RetailData? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RetailData reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RetailData CEO Christine Cottrell. All 25 reviews posted anonymously by RetailData employees.