RetailMeNot

Updated December 26, 2014
4.4

RetailMeNot CEO Cotter Cunningham
Cotter Cunningham

Great culture, great benefits and great career opportunities

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They have really nice benefits. Free lunch, breakfast, snack/juice bar. There are a lot of company events. Working is fun

Cons

Work/life balance is a tough one. We get free gym to go, but I rarely have time.

Very Fun But Distracting Workplace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at RetailMeNot

Pros

-Great benefits: Health insurance, 401k, equity, cell & gym reimbursements, free catered lunches daily, free catered breakfast twice a week, downtown Austin location
    - Fun young work space: You get to work with minds of the future, ages averaging between mid twenties and thirties. The office decor is impeccable, with different decor themes on every floor and everything ranging from a free coffee bar and barista to a fully stocked juice bar.
    -Incentives for working hard: Stocked fridge and keg for happy hour every Friday, tickets to various events including ACL and F1, and tons more.
    -Innovative learning experiences: Conferences that unites RMN global companies for a few days of collaborating, learning, and networking, followed by a huge themed celebrations and happy hours.

Cons

-Distracting- The transparent work environment RMN provides with an open desk layout combined with a massive group of young people makes for a very distracting work environment. The company does provide headphones, but that doesn't stop the noise around you and the distraction of people being able to talk to you at any time of the day.
    -So many meetings!- There are way too many meetings that are either pointless, not worth the time scheduled, or just distracting. The company is working on its meeting etiquette, but people find it hard to cancel ongoing meetings and determine who really should be in each meeting.
    -Too social- The social aspect of the culture is easy to get swept up in, and there is a constant struggle to get the 8 hours a day in you need for work.
    -Long hours- Constantly feels like you need to be checking your email even outside of work, that you can't leave for drs. appointments or even eat lunch away from your desk. There is little tolerance for flexible hours making it difficult for people who have special circumstance or who work better from different times in the day to be productive.
    -Felt like the career path was limited.

- Continue working on meeting etiquette
    - Offer bigger meeting rooms for one person to work (not a phone room but rather a room where one person can go and close the door to concentrate and also have room to work)
    - More flexibility with hours- workers should feel like they can leave work and should be allowed flexible work hours if needed.
    - Cater better to different learning styles, spending more time understanding how employees work and how to best accommodate them individually.
    - Offer more assistance and opportunities for those who find they may be a better fit in other departments.

Great company with thriving culture

Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of great extra perks. Love the people I work with and the environment I work in.

Cons

Growing so large so fast can cause issues

Always keep your ears open to those below you

Fantastic, Innovative company that never slows down. Great place to grow and be recognized.

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits. Fantastic talent all around. Innovative thinking encouraged and rewarded.

Cons

Occasional long hours but that is to be expected in a fast moving retail company.

Lots of hiring from the outside (name brand resumes) instead of promoting from within.

A wonderful company for aspiring professionals

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The company culture is too good and its a wonderful experience to be part of RMN. There are many perks for employees. The Leadership is focussed on improving the company and also helping an individual improve his skills by providing scope for learning. 'There is a great work-life balance and the everyone in the team is great to work with .
    There is constant Learning and also fun associated with the work which makes RMN a great place to be

Cons

Nothing negative about the whole company as such.

Great job in making RMN a great place with a wonderful culture

Great company to grow your career

Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, perks, and work environment. Everyone is friendly. I have interesting, challenging work and smart colleagues who help develop my career. Sometimes the pace can be slow but it varies, along with the type of work, which I like.

Cons

As an intern, I am worried about the brand if I work there full time, since I could have opportunities with much bigger name companies. But as far as the company itself, no cons.

Keep it up

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Finance/Accounting in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Finance/Accounting in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Leadership is very transparent and shares its vision with all employees. They value everyone at the company. Coworkers are fun-loving, innovative, and happy. The perks are amazing - RMN provides lunches, breakfast twice a week, tons of snacks, awesome company parties, gym & cell phone reimbursement. The offices are really fun to work in - very open environment, beautiful patio.

Cons

You cannot work remotely, culture is you have to be here in the office.

Great place to work

I have been working at RetailMeNot

Pros

Work is interesting
    Company moves quickly
    everchanging space
    they feed you almost every day
    perks on perks on perks

Cons

depending on dept could be hard to move up

n/a

Exciting company! Moving in the right direction. Tons of young people who are inspired and believe in the company.

I worked at RetailMeNot

Pros

Fun company atmosphere, exciting, young culture, amazing CEO, employee perks, paid lunches.

Cons

The middle management team is weak in some departments

I'm thrilled to be working here

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's great to work somewhere that's winning its market; and management seems committed to staying ahead of the competition by putting together the best engineering team possible. That means not only great coworkers whom I learn from and who raise the bar for me; but also really excellent compensation and working environment.

Cons

Some consider the downtown location a minus (I think it's great personally).