RetailMeNot Reviews

Cotter Cunningham

1. Featured Review

Amazing post-startup company

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel like my inputs are highly valued and management listens to everything I say. I do not feel like another "cog in a machine," rather I feel like all of my opinions matter. It's a fun place to work with smart, driven co-workers. I don't feel like the hire anybody who would risk dragging down a team by doing on the bare minimum. The perks are top-notch, and the benefits package is great. Combine the perks and benefits with equity bonuses, and my salary feels higher than it really is, since I never have to worry about packing a lunch or paying my own cell phone bill. Work/life balance is great, and I feel free to come in late or leave early whenever I need to, or work from home if I need to.

Cons

Many other teams feel like there is not a lot of room for advancement, or that they hire too much from the outside rather than promoting from the inside. I don't feel like my team suffers from that, but it can be a con when other employees have complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep doing things the way you are, and continue to remember the core values that got us all here.

2. Honest-To-God Love this Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're an _____ stack company, which means we're not afraid to use the new cool thing (or the old standard) so long as it's the best choice for the problem being solved. We're an incredibly transparent company (I regularly text our CEO on his personal number with tough questions about the business). First and foremost though, the people: we've got a team of brilliant, inspired people with a fantastic internal social scene that is actively working to avoid a brogrammer or fraternity tech company culture.

Cons

We're slow to innovate and we outsource way too much of our design. This is changing due to business pressures, but the company is only just waking up from having been lulled to sleep by our initial explosive growth.

Advice to Management

Take bigger risks. We talk about being SpaceX, not NASA. Time to go all in and let a few rockets explode.

Smoke & Mirrors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great location - seemingly good perks - paid decently, but not super competitive - equity (though it unfortunately turned out to be a joke)

Cons

- absolute lack of leadership if you can even call it that - no real path or ability to progress in the organization - as bureaucratic as it gets - not challenging - was hired and told that I could easily grow into a more senior role, though after exceeding expectations - the senior role was never an option - executive leadership chooses to ignore the problems across the business

5. Great company culture

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RetailMeNot treats its employees very well in terms of benefits and perks: free lunch most days, breakfast, fully stocked kitchen, fun and creative office, gym and cell phone expense etc. Depending on what department you're in, you're really encouraged to either seek internal or external training to further career development.

Cons

There have been a lot of organizational changes in the last year or two that have slowed productivity and innovation quite a bit. It'll seem like issues have been resolved and then a new re-org occurs. Definitely a company that grew very quickly in an extremely competitive industry that also changes very quickly.

Advice to Management

Though hopefully this has been resolved, narrow development focus on just a couple things that the company does really well rather than spreading resources too thin.

Unclear Path

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of perks like an onsite gym, choice of mac/pc, free food, a 3D printer, a barista and fresh juice bar.

Cons

There isn't a lot of transparency. For a company that sees that as a value, there's not a whole lot of it. Very slow to make decisions. Very few subject matter experts. Very little in the way of professionalism.

Advice to Management

Maybe learn to manage or read some books on leadership and action.

Don't Be Fooled...Sinking Ship.

Pros

The best reason for working here would be so you can leave. And leave soon.

Cons

RetaiMeNot is a mess. The lack of direction and leadership is obvious. They just went through a massive organizational re-org and laid off quite a bit of their staff from various parts of the company. They miss financial projections and goals, yet seem to throw money away on "renovating" office floors because the offices are less than 4 years old. The endless snacks, food and swag are used to covering glaring issues, along them are: poor leadership, lack of decision making and misguided (if any) budgeting.

Needs to act more like a startup

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great (with exception of the very fuzzy vacation policy), but the best part is getting to work with amazing people every day.

Cons

Communication and decision-making problems, no work/life balance and lots of managers/directors struggling to be relevant.

Advice to Management

Need to take risks, trust its employees, believe in its values, communicate and provide real solutions to problems our users have.

Lack of vision and direction

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time

Pros

Many great benefits to employees. They treat employees well with perks.

Cons

Lack of vision and organization. No long term plans given by upper management, lack of vision. Continuously working on past tech debt, not allowing new projects to push through. Disheartened product team. Since Feb '15 have had a large quantity of turnover.

Awesome, Austin-weird overgrown startup experience

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of smart people excited by what they are doing, awesome work-life balance, culture fosters learning and having fun (within reason).

Cons

In the last couple of years the Eng organization has transitioned to a new model: Multiple autonomous teams, working in parallel on what often is redundant systems. You will be doing production support for your app. If you are in a one-person team, you will be doing it alone. Even though your code is perfect, your phone may ring in the middle of the night alerting you to the fact that the monitoring software developed by the Eng Ops group is hung on your cluster. But it will be your phone, not theirs.

Advice to Management

Keep up all the cultural initiatives. But understand that these "autonomous teams" need help doing their job. Right now the 200 person engineering department looks like a combination of 40 5-person start-ups.

Free Food and Games!

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time

Pros

RMN has great perks, there's no denying that. Free lunch, snacks, happy hour, gym membership, cell phone, lavish gifts...

Cons

Personally, I felt that an employee's experience at RMN depended greatly on the team that they were a part of. Unfortunately, my experience was overshadowed by bureaucracy and office politics that was exhausting and eventually led to me and many of my team mates leaving the company. There was a negatively charged sense of competition fostered by management that made work begin to feel petty and meaningless.

Advice to Management

More structure around roles and career growth. Don't define success or productivity by how late someone stays, define it by the quality of their work.

RSS Feed </> Embed