RetailMeNot Reviews

Cotter Cunningham

1. Featured Review

Amazing post-startup company

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel like my inputs are highly valued and management listens to everything I say. I do not feel like another "cog in a machine," rather I feel like all of my opinions matter. It's a fun place to work with smart, driven co-workers. I don't feel like the hire anybody who would risk dragging down a team by doing on the bare minimum. The perks are top-notch, and the benefits package is great. Combine the perks and benefits with equity bonuses, and my salary feels higher than it really is, since I never have to worry about packing a lunch or paying my own cell phone bill. Work/life balance is great, and I feel free to come in late or leave early whenever I need to, or work from home if I need to.

Cons

Many other teams feel like there is not a lot of room for advancement, or that they hire too much from the outside rather than promoting from the inside. I don't feel like my team suffers from that, but it can be a con when other employees have complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep doing things the way you are, and continue to remember the core values that got us all here.

Awesome, Austin-weird overgrown startup experience

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of smart people excited by what they are doing, awesome work-life balance, culture fosters learning and having fun (within reason).

Cons

In the last couple of years the Eng organization has transitioned to a new model: Multiple autonomous teams, working in parallel on what often is redundant systems. You will be doing production support for your app. If you are in a one-person team, you will be doing it alone. Even though your code is perfect, your phone may ring in the middle of the night alerting you to the fact that the monitoring software developed by the Eng Ops group is hung on your cluster. But it will be your phone, not theirs.

Advice to Management

Keep up all the cultural initiatives. But understand that these "autonomous teams" need help doing their job. Right now the 200 person engineering department looks like a combination of 40 5-person start-ups.

Needs to act more like a startup

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great (with exception of the very fuzzy vacation policy), but the best part is getting to work with amazing people every day.

Cons

Communication and decision-making problems, no work/life balance and lots of managers/directors struggling to be relevant.

Advice to Management

Need to take risks, trust its employees, believe in its values, communicate and provide real solutions to problems our users have.

Lack of vision and direction

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time

Pros

Many great benefits to employees. They treat employees well with perks.

Cons

Lack of vision and organization. No long term plans given by upper management, lack of vision. Continuously working on past tech debt, not allowing new projects to push through. Disheartened product team. Since Feb '15 have had a large quantity of turnover.

Free Food and Games!

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time

Pros

RMN has great perks, there's no denying that. Free lunch, snacks, happy hour, gym membership, cell phone, lavish gifts...

Cons

Personally, I felt that an employee's experience at RMN depended greatly on the team that they were a part of. Unfortunately, my experience was overshadowed by bureaucracy and office politics that was exhausting and eventually led to me and many of my team mates leaving the company. There was a negatively charged sense of competition fostered by management that made work begin to feel petty and meaningless.

Advice to Management

More structure around roles and career growth. Don't define success or productivity by how late someone stays, define it by the quality of their work.

7. Great Place to work!!

I have been working at RetailMeNot

Pros

- challenging work - innovative culture - great perks - top of the line benefits - friendly leadership - FREE food

Cons

- business hours are 9-6. It's a very flexible work environment and if you have to leave early you can but because other team members work late, it's hard to get out the door sometimes. The culture has been shifting to be more and more flexible. In time, this probably won't be an issue at all.

Advice to Management

no complaints here. Leadership is very effective. They listen and always transparent. Very important values.

Exciting in the beginning but faded fast

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, excellent company perks, flexible scheduele

Cons

Lack of empowerment, lack of recognition, lack of support

Good place to work

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time

Pros

Strategy and vision are getting stronger Good pay and benefits Smart and nice people

Cons

Departmental silos at times, but improving Too many priorities at times

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on top initiatives Empower your people to make decisions

Very Fun But Distracting Workplace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at RetailMeNot

Pros

-Great benefits: Health insurance, 401k, equity, cell & gym reimbursements, free catered lunches daily, free catered breakfast twice a week, downtown Austin location - Fun young work space: You get to work with minds of the future, ages averaging between mid twenties and thirties. The office decor is impeccable, with different decor themes on every floor and everything ranging from a free coffee bar and barista to a fully stocked juice bar. -Incentives for working hard: Stocked fridge and keg for happy hour every Friday, tickets to various events including ACL and F1, and tons more. -Innovative learning experiences: Conferences that unites RMN global companies for a few days of collaborating, learning, and networking, followed by a huge themed celebrations and happy hours.

Cons

-Distracting- The transparent work environment RMN provides with an open desk layout combined with a massive group of young people makes for a very distracting work environment. The company does provide headphones, but that doesn't stop the noise around you and the distraction of people being able to talk to you at any time of the day. -So many meetings!- There are way too many meetings that are either pointless, not worth the time scheduled, or just distracting. The company is working on its meeting etiquette, but people find it hard to cancel ongoing meetings and determine who really should be in each meeting. -Too social- The social aspect of the culture is easy to get swept up in, and there is a constant struggle to get the 8 hours a day in you need for work. -Long hours- Constantly feels like you need to be checking your email even outside of work, that you can't leave for drs. appointments or even eat lunch away from your desk. There is little tolerance for flexible hours making it difficult for people who have special circumstance or who work better from different times in the day to be productive. -Felt like the career path was limited.

Advice to Management

- Continue working on meeting etiquette - Offer bigger meeting rooms for one person to work (not a phone room but rather a room where one person can go and close the door to concentrate and also have room to work) - More flexibility with hours- workers should feel like they can leave work and should be allowed flexible work hours if needed. - Cater better to different learning styles, spending more time understanding how employees work and how to best accommodate them individually. - Offer more assistance and opportunities for those who find they may be a better fit in other departments.

Great culture, great benefits and great career opportunities

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have really nice benefits. Free lunch, breakfast, snack/juice bar. There are a lot of company events. Working is fun

Cons

Work/life balance is a tough one. We get free gym to go, but I rarely have time.

RSS Feed </> Embed