RetailMeNot Reviews

RetailMeNot CEO Cotter Cunningham
Cotter Cunningham

1. Amazing post-startup company

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel like my inputs are highly valued and management listens to everything I say. I do not feel like another "cog in a machine," rather I feel like all of my opinions matter. It's a fun place to work with smart, driven co-workers. I don't feel like the hire anybody who would risk dragging down a team by doing on the bare minimum.

The perks are top-notch, and the benefits package is great. Combine the perks and benefits with equity bonuses, and my salary feels higher than it really is, since I never have to worry about packing a lunch or paying my own cell phone bill. Work/life balance is great, and I feel free to come in late or leave early whenever I need to, or work from home if I need to.

Cons

Many other teams feel like there is not a lot of room for advancement, or that they hire too much from the outside rather than promoting from the inside. I don't feel like my team suffers from that, but it can be a con when other employees have complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep doing things the way you are, and continue to remember the core values that got us all here.

Awesome, Austin-weird overgrown startup experience

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of smart people excited by what they are doing, awesome work-life balance, culture fosters learning and having fun (within reason).

Cons

In the last couple of years the Eng organization has transitioned to a new model: Multiple autonomous teams, working in parallel on what often is redundant systems. You will be doing production support for your app. If you are in a one-person team, you will be doing it alone. Even though your code is perfect, your phone may ring in the middle of the night alerting you to the fact that the monitoring software developed by the Eng Ops group is hung on your cluster. But it will be your phone, not theirs.

Advice to Management

Keep up all the cultural initiatives. But understand that these "autonomous teams" need help doing their job. Right now the 200 person engineering department looks like a combination of 40 5-person start-ups.

3. Great Place to work!!

I have been working at RetailMeNot

Pros

- challenging work
    - innovative culture
    - great perks
    - top of the line benefits
    - friendly leadership
    - FREE food

Cons

- business hours are 9-6. It's a very flexible work environment and if you have to leave early you can but because other team members work late, it's hard to get out the door sometimes. The culture has been shifting to be more and more flexible. In time, this probably won't be an issue at all.

Advice to Management

no complaints here. Leadership is very effective. They listen and always transparent. Very important values.

Great!

Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at RetailMeNot as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful office culture. Upbeat and fun. Great intern benefits--well paid, networking dinners, etc. Regularly met with upper management to discuss my progress. Transparency is huge there--there are even weekly meetings with the entire company and the CEO is actually pretty funny and approachable, even to an intern.
    Plus, Austin is a great place to live--always something fun to do

Cons

Austin is fun, but really hot in the summer

Great culture, great benefits and great career opportunities

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have really nice benefits. Free lunch, breakfast, snack/juice bar. There are a lot of company events. Working is fun

Cons

Work/life balance is a tough one. We get free gym to go, but I rarely have time.

Fantastic, Innovative company that never slows down. Great place to grow and be recognized.

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits. Fantastic talent all around. Innovative thinking encouraged and rewarded.

Cons

Occasional long hours but that is to be expected in a fast moving retail company.

Advice to Management

Lots of hiring from the outside (name brand resumes) instead of promoting from within.

8. A wonderful company for aspiring professionals

Current Contractor - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The company culture is too good and its a wonderful experience to be part of RMN. There are many perks for employees. The Leadership is focussed on improving the company and also helping an individual improve his skills by providing scope for learning. 'There is a great work-life balance and the everyone in the team is great to work with .
    There is constant Learning and also fun associated with the work which makes RMN a great place to be

Cons

Nothing negative about the whole company as such.

Advice to Management

Great job in making RMN a great place with a wonderful culture

9. Great company to grow your career

Current Intern - Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, perks, and work environment. Everyone is friendly. I have interesting, challenging work and smart colleagues who help develop my career. Sometimes the pace can be slow but it varies, along with the type of work, which I like.

Cons

As an intern, I am worried about the brand if I work there full time, since I could have opportunities with much bigger name companies. But as far as the company itself, no cons.

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Finance/Accounting in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Finance/Accounting in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is very transparent and shares its vision with all employees. They value everyone at the company. Coworkers are fun-loving, innovative, and happy. The perks are amazing - RMN provides lunches, breakfast twice a week, tons of snacks, awesome company parties, gym & cell phone reimbursement. The offices are really fun to work in - very open environment, beautiful patio.

Cons

You cannot work remotely, culture is you have to be here in the office.

I'm thrilled to be working here

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's great to work somewhere that's winning its market; and management seems committed to staying ahead of the competition by putting together the best engineering team possible. That means not only great coworkers whom I learn from and who raise the bar for me; but also really excellent compensation and working environment.

Cons

Some consider the downtown location a minus (I think it's great personally).