RetailMeNot Reviews

Cotter Cunningham

1. Featured Review

Amazing post-startup company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel like my inputs are highly valued and management listens to everything I say. I do not feel like another "cog in a machine," rather I feel like all of my opinions matter. It's a fun place to work with smart, driven co-workers. I don't feel like the hire anybody who would risk dragging down a team by doing on the bare minimum. The perks are top-notch, and the benefits package is great. Combine the perks and benefits with equity bonuses, and my salary feels higher than it really is, since I never have to worry about packing a lunch or paying my own cell phone bill. Work/life balance is great, and I feel free to come in late or leave early whenever I need to, or work from home if I need to.

Cons

Many other teams feel like there is not a lot of room for advancement, or that they hire too much from the outside rather than promoting from the inside. I don't feel like my team suffers from that, but it can be a con when other employees have complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep doing things the way you are, and continue to remember the core values that got us all here.

2. Good Benefits

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and perks, ACL ticket for employee, free lunch 4 days a week, free breakfast 2 days a week, fully stuffed kitchen and snacks, daily juice delivered, great office design, company paid parking in downtown.

Cons

Work hard and long hours are considered be more valuable than work smart and have creativity. If you keep doing the same routing thing and put all your hours in, you will be rewarded. Also if you agree with management on everything they tells you to do, you will be considered to be their inner circle. Performance management is based on other people's feedback not your achievement. If you have good buddies cross different department speak for you, you will be considered doing a good job. If you are introverted and doing a wonderful job and no one speak for you, then you are out of luck.

Advice to Management

Don't know where the company is heading to.

3. Good company

Pros

Open, friendly, motivated, agile, global

Cons

Pay, creativity, senior hires, share price

5. Great company culture

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

RetailMeNot treats its employees very well in terms of benefits and perks: free lunch most days, breakfast, fully stocked kitchen, fun and creative office, gym and cell phone expense etc. Depending on what department you're in, you're really encouraged to either seek internal or external training to further career development.

Cons

There have been a lot of organizational changes in the last year or two that have slowed productivity and innovation quite a bit. It'll seem like issues have been resolved and then a new re-org occurs. Definitely a company that grew very quickly in an extremely competitive industry that also changes very quickly.

Advice to Management

Though hopefully this has been resolved, narrow development focus on just a couple things that the company does really well rather than spreading resources too thin.

Unclear Path

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of perks like an onsite gym, choice of mac/pc, free food, a 3D printer, a barista and fresh juice bar.

Cons

There isn't a lot of transparency. For a company that sees that as a value, there's not a whole lot of it. Very slow to make decisions. Very few subject matter experts. Very little in the way of professionalism.

Advice to Management

Maybe learn to manage or read some books on leadership and action.

Don't Be Fooled...Sinking Ship.

Pros

The best reason for working here would be so you can leave. And leave soon.

Cons

RetaiMeNot is a mess. The lack of direction and leadership is obvious. They just went through a massive organizational re-org and laid off quite a bit of their staff from various parts of the company. They miss financial projections and goals, yet seem to throw money away on "renovating" office floors because the offices are less than 4 years old. The endless snacks, food and swag are used to covering glaring issues, along them are: poor leadership, lack of decision making and misguided (if any) budgeting.

8. Honest-To-God Love this Company

Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We're an _____ stack company, which means we're not afraid to use the new cool thing (or the old standard) so long as it's the best choice for the problem being solved. We're an incredibly transparent company (I regularly text our CEO on his personal number with tough questions about the business). First and foremost though, the people: we've got a team of brilliant, inspired people with a fantastic internal social scene that is actively working to avoid a brogrammer or fraternity tech company culture.

Cons

We're slow to innovate and we outsource way too much of our design. This is changing due to business pressures, but the company is only just waking up from having been lulled to sleep by our initial explosive growth.

Advice to Management

Take bigger risks. We talk about being SpaceX, not NASA. Time to go all in and let a few rockets explode.

Smoke & Mirrors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- great location - seemingly good perks - paid decently, but not super competitive - equity (though it unfortunately turned out to be a joke)

Cons

- absolute lack of leadership if you can even call it that - no real path or ability to progress in the organization - as bureaucratic as it gets - not challenging - was hired and told that I could easily grow into a more senior role, though after exceeding expectations - the senior role was never an option - executive leadership chooses to ignore the problems across the business

10. Great experience !

Pros

Work / life balance is respected, great services and community, amazing working conditions. Several advantages like free food, international environment, corporate spirit.

Cons

There should be more opportunities to develop one's own project within the company. Unfortunately RetailMeNot is already big and gets bigger, thus there is less room for individual improvement.

Advice to Management

Maybe individual improvements should be more considerated. The collective effort that was made is just amazing, but individual efforts may have to be made.

Needs to act more like a startup

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at RetailMeNot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great (with exception of the very fuzzy vacation policy), but the best part is getting to work with amazing people every day.

Cons

Communication and decision-making problems, no work/life balance and lots of managers/directors struggling to be relevant.

Advice to Management

Need to take risks, trust its employees, believe in its values, communicate and provide real solutions to problems our users have.

RSS Feed </> Embed