Rettew Associates Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.5
George Rettew Jr

Great company - especially if you aren't afraid of doing whatever it takes, on several different levels.

I have been working at Rettew Associates full-time

Pros

I've been here many years and have seen good times and not such great times, but one thing that stays the same is that RETTEW cares about their people, their clients, the community, and the work that they do. For the large majority of employees, this is a flexible, exciting, friendly, rewarding, energizing place to work. The upper management's doors are always open to talk to, but few take advantage. The President has breakfast with a handful of employees on a rotating basis between the offices so employees can talk about whatever is on their mind, and if something is brought up - it does seem to be taken seriously and is addressed and/or questions are answered. Most of my years here, I received some type of bonus if the company had a profit. The past few years, we may have missed a few or they weren't as generous, but they always contributed a 25% match to the 401k, so I appreciated that. On top of the bonus, they also became an ESOP a few years ago and money is put into my ESOP account too - another little nest egg for my golden years. If you work hard, can communicate well, do what you say you're going to do, and work well with others - you can go places here. You can be creative....but don't cry or get pissed off if your idea isn't immediately lauded. Don't give up either....maybe your timing was off, maybe you didn't have the right audience or 100 other things. People seem to want everything to be easy and they just quit at the first "no" or first person that doesn't listen to their complaint. Keep tweeking it or talking about it with different folks if you really believe in it. If you do things respecfully and with good intentions, you'll be well received here because there are alot of very good, caring, open minded, people here. You spend alot of hours at work....you want to surround yourself with good people who care about you and work for a company who's core values support an atmoshpere you enjoy. For me, RETTEW does that.

Cons

Like with any company, or even most families....there are some not such good eggs who don't "walk the talk" or do things the RETTEW way. They are self absorbed, self-serving, lazy, unmotivated, unprofessional, backstabbers - you name it. Some you can work with...some you work around...some you make sure others know what's going on, and wait for them to hang themselves - because it will happen eventually because this IS a good place with good people at the top who WILL address problems once they are aware of it and have all the facts. Sometimes that takes longer than some would like, but it sure would help alot of people spoke up more and to the right people. Employees do have the power to effect change at RETTEW, you just have to go about it respectfully, and do it the right way.

Terrible company! Micromanage and layoffs guaranteed! Stay away...

I worked at Rettew Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some nice people use to work there

Cons

Promises made are not kept! Sweat shop operation. Chasing oil dollar no matter what...management doesn't care about their employees. Have yearly layoffs due to poor leadership and management...micromanagement and poor fiscal leadership so company is going down.

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage! Listen to employees and hire better senior management. President has no clue!

3. Worst work experience I ever had

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Canton, OH

I worked at Rettew Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only perk I can think of that I had was the take home company vehicle. This resulted in not using my personal car for weeks at a time. Also learning from and working with a good group of guys. Decent equipment to work with.

Cons

The pay is absolutely horrible. You will not get paid for your experience and/or skill. They will pay you what they want to pay you. The benefits are equally as horrible. If you are having an issue, you will have to go up the chain of command numerous times repeating yourself before anyone listens to you. This is a very text and e-mail happy company. You can expect to get texts and e-mails at all times of the night and you can expect to wake up to them as well. Working for a company that claims to be family oriented is ironic considering they expect your life to revolve around work and not your family. You can be expected to work weekends and go out of town with little to no notice so don't make plans. Ever. They don't like when you're one of the first ones in but want to leave by 5:00. There have been days where I've spent more time driving to and from jobs than actually doing work at that particular job. If there's no work for you, you will be forced to burn a vacation day or take an unpaid day off. You will be at the mercy of numerous project managers, all of whom work their own way so you have to do work several different ways instead of your way. You'll get minimal, if any, recognition on good work or staying ahead of your service area goals. This is a company that cares more about making money and expanding than their employees. You never know what it's like to work for a good company until you've worked for a bad one. The cons of working here clearly outnumber the pros. Take my advice and stay as far away from this company as you can. It's not worth it.

Advice to Management

Management needs to start listening to employees the first time and start caring about their employees than the money. There is too much management to begin with at the company. Stop micro managing.

Profit Driven at the expense of many

Former Employee - Mid Level Engineering Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Mid Level Engineering Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Rettew Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rettew had built their reputation on serving the local government and private land developers based on providing a top quality product and service that would benefit the end users (namely, the community at large). Bridges, transportation and water and wastewater infrastructure upgrades and replacements were services Rettew excelled at for many years. The culture was friendly and structured with opportunities to practice your trade,

Cons

Like many small scale regional engineering consulting firms, Rettew got the fever for growth. Growth in total revenue, growth in regions served, growth in kinds of services and growth into hot sectors that looked too good to pass up, What resulted was a deterioration of the culture and a wholesale shift in management style. The leadership had sold out and began worshiping profit over people. While Rettew still serves the local community in many positive ways they do it more as a marketing approach to hide their real intentions which is to make money no matter what the impact to or communities, our drinking water or our health. I say this based on their wholesale buy in to the hydraulic fracturing gas boom going on since 2008 in their home state of Pennsylvania.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at the values the company is based on. Then ask yourself if this is the legacy I want to leave to the next generation or has the company lost its way over the last several years. Perhaps a course correction is in order.

Stay far away from this company!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Rettew Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

About the only pro working at Rettew is that you get some varied experience if you are a "low level" worker.

Cons

Benefits are terrible, bonuses are a joke (if they even happen). Unless you have come from an industry in which they work for, you will be overworked, underpaid, unappreciated and will be used when you leave to work for the industry in which they are pursuing work.

Advice to Management

Treat your "low level" employees well. When you do layoffs, don't lay off your hard working billable employees who have no control over their billability. Lay off your marketing employees who fail to bring in consistent work and your non billable admin staff. Oh wait, the admin staff are all related to higher ups so that will never happen!

Excellent Company!

I have been working at Rettew Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I’ve worked at RETTEW for over five years. My overall experience has been a positive one. I was referred to RETTEW by a former coworker and have never regretted my decision to join the RETTEW team. I’m thankful to my [now] coworker for referring me. RETTEW has provided me a great opportunity to expand my skills and grow professionally in a collaborative, positive working environment. A working environment that is promoted from the top down.

In each of the past five years the company has shared its profits with all employees by providing bonuses – this recognition that all employees are a part of the company’s success is something that’s very important to me. RETTEW is an ESOP company – again, showing its commitment to its employees. I’ve recommended RETTEW to former coworkers and colleagues, some of whom have joined the organization. I feel very comfortable continuing to refer RETTEW and look forward to many more successful years as a part of this excellent organization.

Cons

Continue to improve upon professional development opportunities for all employees.

Advice to Management

Very good management team -- continue to outline and work with employees on their career paths.

8. A Wonderful Company - I Love Working Here!

I have been working at Rettew Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been very satisfied working for this company. It's by far the best company I've ever worked for. I believe they care about their clients and employees.

My career has advanced nicely with promotions, and I've received a nice bonus just about every year I've worked here. If someone has the drive and is motivated, there are many opportunites to advance thru the ranks. I also really like the people I work with, and the technical expertise of the staff is amazing. People here are extremely helpful, and there isn't the "it's not my job" attitude I've seen at other companies.

This company has great potential. They're not afraid to try new things, enter new markets, and provide opportunities for employees.

One thing I really like about the company is how they step to the plate and do the right thing when things don't go right. I've worked at other companies where they try to duck responsibility when there's a problem. Not here. This company stands behind its work.

A few years ago, when things were going super well, the company contributed over $100K to their Charitiable Foundation, and that money is given to employee-supported community groups.

I am very happy here and hope it's the place I retire from.

Cons

There have been some growing pains, but they're working through it and making improvements. Difficult decision have been made, but I know it's only done as a last resort. Management does seem to care.

The culture has changed over the past few years, some for the better, but some for the worse. I think management is becoming aware of the areas that changed for the worse, and they seem to be working on improvements. This happens to all growing companies, but this company seems to be aware of it, and I have confidence that this company will change things for the better.

Advice to Management

Give me another promotion! In all seriousness, keep trying to find ways to provide advancement opportunities for the great people who work so hard here.

Horrible!!!

I worked at Rettew Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It used to be good until they switched their management style. They switched from an employee driven marketing strategy to a Client Account Manager (CAM) system. Fortunately I was wise enough to jump ship when I did.

Cons

First the CAM's pretty much interrogated individual employees for their contacts information. The employees were then told they could no longer speak directly with their OWN contacts, that the CAM's would be doing this from now on. Since the clients were not comfortable with these egotistical CAM's, who have no technical knowledge and are pretty much professional smoozers, clients started giving work to competing consulting firms instead. Due to the loss of clients and projects by the CAM's RETTEW started a series of layoffs of the very employees that had brought the work in prior to the switch.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CAM's they are ruining the company and everyone can see that.

Do you like work 60+ hours per week with no recognition. Then this is the place for you.

I have been working at Rettew Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work for the company that makes money hand over fist. You'll be allowed to do whatever you want, until someone figures out you're doing it and decides to steal your idea or make you a scapegoat. You should be lucky they allow you to work here, as long as you don't mind never seeing your family. Family atmosphere.... are you kidding? Both the company picnic and holiday party were eliminated last year, due to the MASSIVE layoffs. Are there even 200-250 people left?

Cons

If you are looking for a fraternity hazing atmosphere, where you can work hard so other people don't have to - then apply for a job HERE. There is NO, repeat NO, long term commitment to your career. You are replaceable and expendable. You will not be able to disconnect from this place. You will be on 24/7. You'll get a HUGE 3 figure bonus (no zeros on that). AND, sexual harassment and discrimination are OK, depending on who you are. Hitched the wagon to the Oil & Gas industry in Pennsylvania and are now chasing the wagon into Ohio and elsewhere; unfortunately, the wagon is in the ditch. No commitment to the community on a corporate level, any community involvement is a direct result of individual employees.

Advice to Management

Maybe it's time for a little internal reflection. How greedy do you need to be? The 3.3 multiplier was excessive..... How do the clients feel about the 3.7? It's probably OK as long as they get to go out for $1000 dinners, and fishing and hunting trips. Let's discuss culture and values. Culture=GREED. Values=ZERO. The upper management doesn't leave their ivory tower in Lancaster and has surrounded themselves with yes men, as we've seen, anyone with a dissenting opinion is fired. Can't wyou handle the truth? No, no you can't.

RSS Feed </> Embed