Return Path Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.1
Matt Blumberg

Pros
  • They are serious about helping you achieve a good work life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Catered Lunches, flexible work from home policy, unique industry, ability to learn (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay is average to low, no 401k, healthcare provider changes often (in 3 reviews)

• Management's claimed focus on building employees desire to move within different departments for career growth does not feel sincere (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great place to grow.

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The focus on people and their careers results in a lot of opportunity for growth. You can succeed here even without a ton of experience if you are motivated and have a learning mindset.

Cons

Return Path changes so quickly and frequently, it is a difficult environment for people who don't like change or learning new things.

Dec 19, 2014CEO

Thanks so much for the comment. As I talked about at the unRoadshow next week, change is a constant in our world!

Cool data, interesting problems, open culture and great leadership.

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company culture is mostly true to its word. The executive team is amazing and very open to new ideas from anyone in the company. High performers are recongized and career grow paths are made for them. The problems to work on are interesting and we've only started to scratch the surface of what can be done with the data.

Cons

Compenstation is probably not a widespread issue in the company, but it definitely is in some departments. Poor performance still isn't managed incredibly well but it has improved a lot over the past year.

Advice to Management

Do not wait until a number of high performers leave before addressing teamwide compensation issues. Hold senior leaders (ie: non EC members) accountable for the performance of their department. Stop the inefficient "quarterly planning" process and transition to a continuously updated year-long plan.

Apr 3, 2015CEO

What a great write-up - thanks! I agree that we are just starting to scratch the surface of what we can do. I'd love more color on Agile/READY as insufficient...please let me know about those ... More

Great place to work and grow.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Return Path full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great values, solid management and wonderful people.

Cons

Long term prospects are bright, but will they actually materialize?

Advice to Management

Look closely at all levels of the company and decide if the managers are solid, if the individuals are contributing and whether the right people are in the right roles. Then act accordingly.

May 4, 2015CEO

This will be an important quarter for long-term prospects to show, as I discussed at All-Hands. So far, so good. Thanks for the review and for the advice. Front line management is key.

Revolving door and experience varies!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Return Path full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some teams gel so well that they are together during and after work. Mostly sales, marketing, and engineering teams. These are the groups that give them such great positive feedback and in votes support in 'best place to work' polls. Nothing really against this, other than the fact that such groups might exclude some introverts, but that's everywhere and to be expected of a business environment.

Great attention to social aspects such as happy hour, tea time, outings, or team sporting events (though sometimes a bit overboard and costly). No hard limit on vacation days as long as the work gets done.

Greatest open door policy I've ever experienced. People really are very approachable during business hours. But once the face-to-face ends, or a dispute arises, all kinds of gossip and political moves are made (which leads me to the cons).

Cons

Your experience will absolutely depend on who you report to, who might very well be someone based in Bloomfield, CO, where the bulk of the employees are. The C-levels and other top execs are mostly in NYC, which forces the company to give off a 'outsourcing due to costs' vibe. There is great inefficiency in communications and task completion between and among all the offices, especially when people abuse the 'unlimited vacation days' policy and the hours worked in other offices are simply not up to the needs of the NY office. The company isn't quite big enough to need that many satellite offices, which only create lags and delays.

Also, as other reviewers have mentioned, there is definitely a very political side to the company. The turnover rate must have been as high as 40% during the time I was there, including 4 out of the 5 C-levels, and with stats like that, it's hard to believe that it's all due to better opportunities elsewhere (especially when the economy was still just recovering).

Advice to Management

As your own Finance dept will advise you, consider cutting down severely on unnecessary perks like fancy drink machines, smoothie days, or expensive flights in between offices, and re-invest it on the groups that are not 'income-generators' in your minds. They're still necessary for the business to run, unlike those easily fungible goods that may only attract short-term talent.

May 4, 2015CEO

Thanks for the feedback. Turnover has ranged consistently between 5 and 20% annualized every quarter across the company and averages out at or below industry comps. It certainly is true that we ... More

6. Mixed experience - think hard before joining

I have been working at Return Path full-time

Pros

Very nice people to work with. High degree of organizational structure. Transparency about financial performance (note that the transparency is the plus, not necessarily the performance itself). Strong culture of ethics. Determined CEO. Flexibility re vacations and working remotely. Brand name investors/board. Not a bad place to work if you have limited options.

Cons

Top-down management basically. Think twice if you're not coming in at manager level. Projects move slowly and get delayed frequently. Deadlines are not taken seriously. No sense of urgency or even energy at times. Upper management does not seem to have a coherent plan to realize its product vision. Not a strong culture of innovation. Company has been trying to break out of its limited market niche for a while now. Lots of unfulfilled anticipation there, which is creating a sense of uneasiness. Lack of rigor in hiring top talent among rank and file (so-so compensation is probably the main factor here). Company lags way behind comparable tech companies in this regard. Lots of turnover in EC and elsewhere in company. Crummy laptops.

Advice to Management

Be more disciplined about executing goals in timely manner. Create a stronger culture of accountability. Focus on hiring better talent.

May 4, 2015CEO

I'm sorry you're having such a poor experience. As I've noted in other comments, we've done a lot to upgrade the talent of the exec team and company in general in the past couple of years, and I ... More

Great culture, people, interesting projects + big data

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Return Path is a company with great people, one that truly feels like a family. The culture here and the team organization is much better than any place I've worked in the past: from the recruiting process (it's rigorous, but results in people who are a good fit for the company), to the business transparency (contributes to trust in leadership), and the focus on collaboration (people work together to solve problems). Work life balance is very good.

Cons

The company is growing rapidly and doing a good job of continuing to innovate culturally with streamlined processes, etc. As the company has grown, the communication between groups is not as easy as it once was -> could improve cross-group communication. No major cons for the company.

Mar 14, 2015CEO

Thanks for the review, and good noting the perils of becoming siloed as we grow.

Matt

Truly lives its values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Return Path's values sound pretty 'pie in the sky,' and from my experiences at other companies, I appreciate how hard it is to translate values into practical application. I've been in the work force for 20+ years, and I'm honestly at awe with how most (admittedly not all) values have been institutionalized. I can truly say I look forward to work most days, and that I've grown personally from working here. My work is dynamic and interesting, and feedback on my performance from managers and peers is clear.

Cons

In the 18 months I've worked at Return Path, the management has improved its focus on performance management, which is refreshing, but I think they still could improve a little here. I think it's in a phase of its corporate life where it's transitioning from a growth, entrepreneurial phase that relied heavily on talented, productive members 'playing well in the sandbox together,' to a phase of putting more administrative processes in place to ensure high performance. I also think Return Path could do better aligning its goals throughout the organization. They're focusing on good things, but efforts aren't as streamlined (identifying duplication, interdependencies, etc.) as they could be.

Advice to Management

I have faith that management's approach of involving its investors, practicing transparency, soliciting feedback across the organization, and applying its values will keep it on a path of success. It could benefit from a little more deliberate goal and performance alignment across the organization.

Mar 8, 2015CEO

Glad you have faith...and I agree with your assessment and suggestions wholeheartedly.

Matt

Great Company with Great People (for the most part).

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Return Path is (or at least strives) to be the company that we say we are. Everyone here seems to care about what they are doing and how others are impacted by their actions. Great work life balance, compensation and benefits. The Executive Committee is great - they are very approachable and are always willing to take time out to give advice or accept feedback.

Cons

Overall training is not readily available when you start. It can be a sink or swim situation depending on your team. Some senior leaders (not the EC) don't exemplify RP's values and culture and can be arrogant, rude and/or unapproachable. Especially newer leaders.

Advice to Management

De-politicize new leaders. I joined RP to get away from shady corporate politics and practices. Examine your new leaders behavior and interactions with RPers and hold them accountable for behaviors that are not in line with our culture and values. There's a lot of bullying going on behind the scenes.

Mar 8, 2015CEO

This is great feedback - thank you. More specific would be even better. I'd be happy to talk to you directly, confidentially, any time. Or at least use the wiki to give me anonymous feedback in ... More

Great work-life balance and an executive team that walks the walk.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Return Path full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. Benefits are good, but not always at the top of the industry. There are a lot of interesting products and efforts in play. Management encourages and welcomes employee involvement in the business.

Cons

Growing pains - probably typical for a company with this level of growth. There is some disconnect in business goals vs team goals. The business direction changes frequently, though not radically, and it's not always clear whether the individual products can keep up with the changes. Some of the mid-level management and upper-level product management are not as committed to the corporate values as the executives, and it's not clear that there is a willingness at the executive level to address this.

Advice to Management

Try to maintain some consistent focus within the ever-changing business goals. The different areas and levels within the company need to find more ways to work together to brainstorm new solutions and ideas and to work out key areas of efforts - rather than waiting for individual contributions and EC commitments.

Jan 22, 2015CEO

Thanks for the review and the feedback. You're spot on that we struggle to keep pace with every product as we navigate an increasingly dynamic industry. We were just talking about that at our exec ... More

Return Path priorities change with the wind.

I have been working at Return Path full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Massage comes to the office every week. Broomfield office brings in lunch 3x per week.

Cons

They pride themselves in hiring "high performers" but change the companies priorities every quarter therefore never allowing employees the chance to meet/achieve professionally. Team/Individual goals are not understandable, measurable or attainable. Stunted myself professionally.

Advice to Management

Learn how to properly do project management, company wide.

RSS Feed </> Embed