Return Path

Updated Mar 16, 2014

Matt Blumberg

People focused

I have been working at Return Path full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits and atmosphere are really great.

ConsManagement's claimed focus on building employees desire to move within different departments for career growth does not feel sincere. Seems like more talk than application.

Can talk the talk, but not walk the walk.

Account Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Return Path full-time for more than a year

Pros- Weekly lunches
- Snacks
- Interesting product*
- EXCEPTION CEO (one of the sincerest CEOs I have met)
- Reasonable Salary

ConsSpecific to Client Services:

- knowledge: even though RP is good at what it does, it does not mean its the be all, end all. In the time I worked at RP, I learned a lot but a lot of this was contradictory to what I had learned before. Which is not a bad thing, but RP really does not have the ability to back up its own knowledge, as the space (ISP filters/algorithms) is ever changing.

- people: i understand there politics every where, and 90% people in corporate environment put on a facade. But after 11/12 interviews, its ridiculous certain people do a 180. One person, can change the spirit and atmosphere of the entire team. This is demoralizing in the face that the CEO is one of the nicest guys for where his position is. simply put, even though RP core values is putting people first, reality, the same people suck.

- clickish people: people who have been here since the inception of email, think they are the bomb-diggity. Which is great, but learn not to put those who are younger than you down.

- mangers - my manger talked a good talk. The fact he was 100% sales guy, should have been the first clue that this was not going to work out in the long run. Even though he was a manager, he really was a whiny-follower. He let other people control him, whether they joined 6 years ago, or were hired the day before.

- product: its interesting, but not really effective. RP is more like a thorn in the side of company who send commercial emails. Because RP lives delivery, it causes more headaches and issues unnecessarily. Clients who like RP is most likely because the email service provider they are using is doing a crappy job of handling and delivering their email.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO - its difficult to vet all your managers, but there should be a more effective way of reviewing your managers and higher ups. Politics and bias will lead to loss of talent.

Everyone was extremely welcoming and always looking for an opportunity to make the company a better place.

I worked at Return Path full-time

ProsGreat atmosphere, opportunities for growth, company works as a team

ConsStill developing and oftentimes the system had a few kinks.

Will Return Path outgrow it's famous culture with the infusion of external senior management new hires?

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Return Path full-time for more than 3 years

ProsReturn Path promotes a work/life balance, fosters personal development and offers excellent healthcare benefits.

ConsSalaries low compared to peer organizations. Senior management roles are often filled by external candidates, making advancement opportunities somewhat limited throughout the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganizational changes within Client Services are long overdue.

A Return Path Review

I worked at Return Path for more than 5 years

ProsGrowth company that in the monetization phase - they pay attention to work culture as much as is possible

ConsThey have lost the fun start-up culture that existed when I was there, which was more to my tastes.

Business Development

Business Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Return Path full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture, work/life balance, high energy, unique market niche and leadership, leadership transparency and perks

ConsHealth benefits are okay. No major cons.

Return Path is an Amazing Company!

Applications Support (Current Employee)
Broomfield, CO

I have been working at Return Path full-time for more than a year

ProsThis was an amazing organization from top to bottom. Everyone should work for a "Return Path" type company at least once in their life... so that they know how great going to work can be.

ConsNo cons from me - had a great time working here.

Good Benefits, Interesting Work

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Return Path full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe number one pro is definitely the unlimited vacation time. After that the work is interesting: We get to play with millions of emails a day as we create solutions to make sure that requested messages get to customers, and phish doesn't. Teams are very independent and we're encouraged to think outside the box, experimenting with new technology, to solve the toughest problems we can imagine.

ConsPay's not the greatest and there's no 401k match. We've grown a lot very quickly, and adding middle management hasn't been the smoothest. Things are on the upswing and we're figuring it out, but the career path and growth plans for Software Engineers is extraordinarily vague.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're not all the same. The intern who was just higher on and the 5-year veteran deserve different growth plans.

Small Company.. Good Environment..

I worked at Return Path

Pros- Small company. You get to interact with most of the people in the office.
- Good people with friendly attitude.
- Senior employees don't hesitate or procrastinate when asked for help.
- Monthly Happy hour to meet and greet new people and celebrate birthdays of the month. Snacks and beer served !

ConsCompensation not sufficient considering the high living costs in the city.

Good place to work, but poor work/life balance

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Return Path

ProsGreat culture, unlimited PTO, smart colleagues and management that seems to care...sometimes. Free lunches 3 days a week.

ConsRecent growth is changing the culture and not sure if management is keeping a close enough on this. If you value work/life balance, this may not be the place for you. It's a lot of work and boundaries are often ignored.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou had a good thing going. Don't blow it during hyper growth.

Worked for Return Path? Contribute to the Community!

Return Path – Why Work for Us?

At Return Path, we are building an extraordinary company that helps people and businesses communicate more reliably, effectively, and securely. We analyze email data and build solutions that generate insights for… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Return Path reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Return Path CEO Matt Blumberg. All 22 reviews posted anonymously by Return Path employees.